SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Nov 5, 11 9:18 AM
ERS has adapted another Edgar Allen Poe story into a game & as ever it has sublimely beautiful artwork in the main scenes; it is the little touches I like, a ribbon tied to a door blowing in the wind, a little bird hopping about. The artwork was let down by some badly drawn items in the Hidden Object scenes & there were some odd choice of names in the list of things to find.

The usual type of puzzle crop up & these were reasonably easy to solve & in addition there are 33 roses to collect; I always love having this type of extra.

The story is set in France & the music suits the location, the background sounds are also excellent as are the voiceovers. The dialogue is clickable for those who prefer to skip through.

There are two modes of gameplay; in easy the hint recharges at 1 minute 15 seconds & there are sparkles to mark H0 scenes & areas of interest. In the harder mode the hint is 2 minutes 30 seconds & no sparkles, just the odd glint very occasionally.

There is no hint button in the main scenes but you do get a notebook with the story & clues.

ETA having finished the game I don't have anything to add except to say the game took me around 4 hours to play; without a hint button I had to think more about where to go & what to do which made the game very interesting. Good story & satisfying ending, now I know why I collected all the roses

Edited on 11/12/2011 at 5:12:23 AM PST

Royals1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Royals1 on Nov 5, 11 12:22 PM
baglady159 wrote:
angelofmusic62 wrote:Love this game, as I love any of the ERS games I have played. Can anyone recommend any other games by ERS? Thanks.

If you go to ersgamestudios.com you can see a list of all the games they've produced plus the ones that will be coming out soon.

I have most of their games except for some of the earlier ones before things got so graphic and interactive. Love them all!!

I went to their website and I entered my e-mail address so that I could get the updates that they want to send and it said "enter a valid e-mail address"!!! Guess they don't want you to get any updates.

Other than that, I really enjoy the E.A.P. games as I used to read his books when I was in English Lit in high school. Kinda neat that they now have games to go with the books! This is a definate buy for me.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 5, 11 2:03 PM
This is a very good game. I haven`t bought the CE, but as the SE its a definete buy for me

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Nov 5, 11 2:48 PM
really loved this game..out of all of edgar allen poes game, this is the best so far. enjoyed every minute of the game.

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Nov 5, 11 3:06 PM
Good game really enjoyed it. I agree with cubmimi11 best of the Edgar Allen Poe games. Disappointed at the ending but oh well.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Nov 6, 11 9:25 AM
Totally enjoyed this game! Love the Dark Tales series and this one did not disappoint! you won't regret buying this one!

katkarman
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by katkarman on Nov 6, 11 11:45 PM
I just completed the game after 2 days. It kept my interest long enough.

I like these types of games. I have the other Dark Tales as well! I liked everything except the HOS's. Some hidden object scenes are boring in HOS games. I didn't have to use the walk through either until i got 3/4 of the way through when i had to set the clock in kitchen lol. Cool.

katkarman
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by katkarman on Nov 6, 11 11:45 PM
I just completed the game after 2 days. It kept my interest long enough.

I like these types of games. I have the other Dark Tales as well! I liked everything except the HOS's. Some hidden object scenes are boring in HOS games. I didn't have to use the walk through either until i got 3/4 of the way through when i had to set the clock in kitchen lol. Cool.

ritchieprod
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by ritchieprod on Nov 7, 11 4:18 PM
I just finished the game and really liked it. It holds up pretty well to the reputation of the Dark Tales games. A few issues with items named incorrectly and scenes where several objects all fit the clue: "clock" turns out to be the hourglass we have already found as "sandglass" and "hourglass" in other scenes. Small frustrations but overall, a great game.

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Nov 7, 11 4:32 PM
Thanks for the tips angelofmusic62!!

Edited on 11/07/2011 at 4:32:57 PM PST

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Nov 8, 11 3:04 PM
SeaBamboo wrote:ERS has adapted another Edgar Allen Poe story into a game & as ever it has sublimely beautiful artwork in the main scenes; it is the little touches I like, a ribbon tied to a door blowing in the wind, a little bird hopping about. The artwork was let down by some badly drawn items in the Hidden Object scenes & there were some odd choice of names in the list of things to find.

The usual type of puzzle crop up & these were reasonably easy to solve & in addition there are 33 roses to collect; I always love having this type of extra.

The story is set in France & the music suits the location, the background sounds are also excellent as are the voiceovers. The dialogue is clickable for those who prefer to skip through.

There are two modes of gameplay; in easy the hint recharges at 1 minute 15 seconds & there are sparkles to mark H0 scenes & areas of interest. In the harder mode the hint is 2 minutes 30 seconds & no sparkles, just the odd glint very occasionally.

There is no hint button in the main scenes but you do get a notebook with the story & clues.

Yes but SeaBamboo, I play these games and actually do own a couple of this series now but this one is impossible!!! No SG no hints?? NO BUY for me! I am stuck in the "hotel" needing KEYS KEYS KEYS!! sorry i think this is one of the worst (worse?) ones they have put out!
JMHO

Lean

[Post New]by Game_Fearie666 on Nov 9, 11 1:44 PM
These are always a buy for me. I love these games and never miss a chance to buy them. They are incredibly rich and I can literally lose myself in them.

I recommend them to anyone.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 9, 11 1:46 PM
After playing the game on and off for a few days, I now finally finished it. Absolutely fantastic.

And awww... I love the ending. The bouquet of roses may be important to the bonus game, but it's also important to the ending of the main game. Awww...

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Nov 11, 11 4:28 PM
LOVED this game. I would have preferred the CE, but my budget said I had to settle for the SE. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was enough Adventure in it to appeal to me as I don't care for too many HOS. I found all 33 roses. It filled my screen. I noticed that some peeps said their screens weren't filled and I'm wondering if the fact that I have Win 7 with 64 bit might make the difference. I'm glad I added this game to my EAPoe collection.

Terrenis
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Terrenis on Nov 12, 11 3:43 AM
An absolutely breathtaking and beautiful game. Just bought it and the day is saved from boredom.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Nov 12, 11 5:06 AM
Valdy wrote:After playing the game on and off for a few days, I now finally finished it. Absolutely fantastic.

And awww... I love the ending. The bouquet of roses may be important to the bonus game, but it's also important to the ending of the main game. Awww...

It did have that aahh factor didn't it?

Tex_Murphy
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Tex_Murphy on Nov 16, 11 11:24 AM
Excellent game, can't fault it!

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Nov 17, 11 5:13 PM
Great game! Story line was cute. Lot's of hidden objects scene's and fun puzzles. I like all the Edgar Allen Poe games and hope there will be more.

[Post New]by Kare12 on Nov 18, 11 7:32 AM
Oh no, what happened to the games why are they so weak? Where challenging puzzles and quests in which you need to think about? Sorry, I will not buy

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Nov 20, 11 9:52 AM
I haven't finished playing the game yet, and I will review more thoroughly when I have done. However, I highly recommend the CE over the SE version. It will save you a lot of frustration going in and out of the game to the walkthrough.

Go to: