Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Comments for Death Under Tuscan Skies: A Dana Knightstone Novel

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 6, 11 4:17 AM
alpha_Tau wrote:Hi fishies,

Oddly, I have encountered no comments or technical posts on widescreen usage. For practical reasons, I use dual, high-resolution, widescreen displays (my PC is a work tool as well as a play tool). As a result, if a game does not include widescreen correction and has a low-resolution window mode, I cannot play it (changing resolution down to "magnify" a windowed game causes problems with my desktop that are not worth the struggle).

This applies to this game, so, although I will try it (windowed), it is unlikely to be a purchase for me.

Best regards,
aT

Hi Alpha_Tau...

This is one of the few games that does automatically gives me a widescreen display. All of Boomzap's and a couple of other developers' games fill my whole screen (although none of ERS games do).

I actually don't mind the black bars on either side of my monitor when I play a game. If it would annoy me that much that I wouldn't buy a game just because of it, I would miss out on a lot of great games.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Nov 6, 11 6:11 AM
I have quite enjoyed the demo of this game. A definite buy...just not sure I can get it as a CE (I feel it would be totally worth it tho as I did buy the CE of the first one). The only thing I didn't like thus far in the game is that the little "book" sparkles all the time until I open it. As the info in the book is usually related to a "note", etc I've found and looked at, I would much rather just go back to it when I needed a code or clue and not have the sparkles distracting me from my game - I just open and close it to get it to stop! I do like the ability to click "outside the box" when an item is found rather than having to click an X to close - nothing much...I just like it.

Lots of wandering around which I like. Mini games not too hard for the most part but I did have to skip a couple in the demo so I could see more game play but if I get the game I will restart it from the beginning and try not to skip any of them - I love games with achievements to earn!

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by cme550 on Nov 6, 11 6:18 AM
Oooh, I loved the first one. I haven't demoed this one yet because it's a CE and I'm trying to cu back on those, because of a mixture of three reasons, money issues, lately most of them haven't seemed to have been worth it and a personal reason that I am not going to get into here. I'm hoping to have enough willpower to wait until SE

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Nov 6, 11 6:46 AM
dvdiva wrote:Yes, it's a mixture of adventure and hidden object.

You can see in the sample screenshots that there are several H0 scenes in the game.

Peglegann: "Rebeca Lily, I respect your opinion but just to say, you find H0's in places other than lists. Give it a go if you can, you may like it"

------------------------------------------------

Thank you both - I gave it a try: if that's the "marriage" which is prepared for me - I want a divorce - much faster than Kim Kardashian...

Played whole chapter 1 - only ONE HOG screen!!! "Zillions" of puzzles, "trillions" of movements to and from - and only ONE HOG screen. Oh yes, and search once for 20 snakes...

That's "balance"...

I am going to "occupy the Wall Street"!!!

Edited on 11/06/2011 at 6:50:48 AM PST

[Post New]by putter1956 on Nov 6, 11 7:05 AM
LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Nov 6, 11 7:16 AM
While I like the flavor of the game, I am not happy that there are so few HOG scenes. I played the entire hour of the demo and still did not find one. Granted I am a slow player but even so, I found more in other games for the same time period.

The mini games/puzzles were good-not too hard but not too easy. There were just too many of them as compared to the HOG scenes.

No complaints with the graphics or storyline. However I am one of those players that hate achievements. It is not an achievement if you complete something that is part of the game. I don't like feeling pressured trying not to skip mini games/puzzles or completing a HOG list without using a hint (although I didn't see an achievement for this). Collecting a number of items is another matter. Those I do like and are not dependent on game play.

I will wait until this is offered as a SE. Just not worth the money for a CE game.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Nov 6, 11 7:30 AM
cbtx wrote:A great game---now where is Bluebeard's Castle?

That's the same thing I was thinking ?

Edited on 11/06/2011 at 7:31:43 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 6, 11 7:37 AM
Finally a game with less H0 scenes and the ones that are there aren't junkpile-ish. Nice clear sharp graphics and alot of mini games. (love that part) Looks like you do quite a bit of wandering around which I Iike also. The first one was good so hopefully this one is equally as good.

Maybe we will find Bluebeards Castle in Tuscany.

Edited on 11/06/2011 at 7:39:48 AM PST

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Nov 6, 11 9:46 AM
vicalana wrote:Definite buy for me - beautiful game. I've stopped buying CEs too, but really feel this is worth it. Leisurely game - lovely to look at, pretty music. I reckon I'll be spending the day in Tuscany!

I agree, I've also sworn off CE's but I loved the first one very much and the hour I played was very enjoyable. I too, would like more HOS and fewer puzzles and as a Peke lover I was happy to see one here. LOL So, a buy for me this time, hope I won't be disappointed.

Zitulica
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Zitulica on Nov 6, 11 9:54 AM
Dear Fishies,I do like HOGs and I am very happy to solve difficult
puzzles(especially the electicity) or those with other mechanical / technical problems
when I find help!
Do not forget that this site is international and for many gamers English is an aquired language!I am proud of mine and I always liked it.
So, please,let us win,have many achievements and become experts like some of you Zitulica.

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on Nov 6, 11 10:09 AM
The game is ok, but a little too heavy on the adventure part for me. I only but one CE a month now and it won't be this one. I will buy the SE and that will be adventurous enough for me.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 6, 11 10:41 AM
I played for 30 min and it's a no buy for me. It's an adventure game with no ****'s and a lot of reading. I like a game that is entertaining and don't find this one to be that kind of game.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 6, 11 12:53 PM
I honestly remember liking the first game but now I have to wonder if it was as boring as this one? This game is so easy that if you are looking to play a game and don't want to wake up any brain cells, you definitely want to give this one a try. I really thought that with the time span that has occurred since the release of the first game, that they would have stepped it up and kept the game current with better graphics, better game play, better puzzles... well, you get the picture. Major disappointment for me on this game. Definitely no buy.

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Nov 6, 11 1:15 PM
I emphatically love this game.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Nov 7, 11 12:28 AM
mamajay wrote:However, I do have a niggle. WHY would a university library in the 21st century (I am assuming that is when this game is set) still be using a card catalogue and a very old computer, when they have to use key cards for security?

I have worked in a university library, and these days they have to be up-to-date with all the new-fangled techy things, lol. I don't believe the age of the university should have any bearing on it.

Okay, I've had my little rant, I will get off my soapbox now, lol.
Jen

Jen, I don't know where you live, but card catalogs still exist in Europe. Conversion is expensive, so it depends on the country, and even where a computer system exists, the card catalog is often still available to the public, which isn't true in the US anymore.

What is funny is that the books are catalogued using the American Library of Congress system, which isn't used anywhere in Europe that I know of!

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by Poem123 on Nov 7, 11 3:31 PM
WOOOO YAY *jumps* *dances*

I haven't logged on BFG for a few days so I almost missed this. I LOVED the first game. I'm soooooo excited. I was wondering if there ever would be a sequel.

I can't afford a CE right now *cries*. I will get this when I get my second credit / or as a SE (whichever comes first).

Not going to demo because I have zero willpower.

[Post New]by 50plusgamer on Nov 7, 11 3:49 PM
I bought this and I enjoyed playing it a very nice game with a selection of puzzles but ....SPOILER ALERT!

The character did quite a few dubious things considering she was supposed to be one of the good guys. "Borrowing" stuff out of unattended bags, breaking and entering and some vandalism. Still it didn't spoil the game just made the story line a little weak.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Nov 7, 11 5:32 PM
Yet another CE

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Nov 8, 11 2:49 PM
50plusgamer wrote:I bought this and I enjoyed playing it a very nice game with a selection of puzzles but ....SPOILER ALERT!

The character did quite a few dubious things considering she was supposed to be one of the good guys. "Borrowing" stuff out of unattended bags, breaking and entering and some vandalism. Still it didn't spoil the game just made the story line a little weak.

Haha, SO TRUE quite the scruples, eh? Also regarding the ultimate twist in the story re: the religious character (trying not to disclose too much to spoil the game for anyone) ... quite contrary to my initial impression of the game!!

I had ironically originally written entirely favorable comments about the game when I was only 1/4 of the way in...... saying the game has good moral character, etc.... little did I know at that point, lol.

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

Comments for Death Under Tuscan Skies: A Dana Knightstone Novel

[Post New]by Poem123 on Nov 9, 11 9:23 PM
dokken117 wrote:Jkuci, will you explain what you mean when you say "bought an extra credit"? I see lots of people do this, but how is it more convenient than just purchasing a game on your credit card as it comes up? I've been buying games for a long time, and I still don't understand this concept. Thanks.

This is a collector's edition game which takes 2 credits, so if you already have 1 credit floating around, it's cheaper to buy a 2nd than to purchase the game in full.

Go to: