BronzeLady
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Templar Collector's Edition

[Post New]by BronzeLady on Nov 10, 11 4:51 AM
I only buy CEs if the game has good achievements -- i enjoy the extra challenge of achieving all of them. So this game sounds like a winner to me. TY for mentioning achievements in your reviews. I often wonder why it isnt brought up in CE reviews.

If you like this game, you may want to try another one .. Hallowed Legends: Samhain.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 10, 11 5:13 AM
(Disclaimer--30 or so minutes w/the Demo, then rushed to the "Buy It" button!)

Wow! Yet another big-time treat from Elephant Games! Those folks know how to do things right! I've always been enthralled by stories about the Knights Templar--this is another good one!

Wait 'til you get a load of the intro--some of it is almost like Full Motion Video (FMV). And when the Main Menu comes up?--a glowing Knight Templar walking towards you? Eerie, indeed!

The Options Menu is one of the best that I've seen. Four sliders for: Music (sounds like Bach on the organ at times); Sound; Environment; Voice. Custom cursor (by default) was a bit herky-jerky, so I opted for the system one (that made for less graphic icons, but workable). There are also choices for screen and Gamma; three game modes ("Adventure," I think, will probably keep gamers busy for lots of hours--no "hand-holding" whatsoever!).

The graphics are clear, colorful, and sharp; the first hidden-object scene ranges from easy to challenging, finding the items. I suspect that all the H0 scenes will be interactive, just like the first one was. The Hint system (if you need it) re-ups quickly; the integrated SG is available, but only through the first Chapter (that's the only black-mark w/this game). Apparently, there's a kind of bonus or achievement for finding certain "special" somethings along the way (I won't tell!).

This game is a work of art, from the Environment, to the graphics, to the music, to the ambient sounds, and especially, to the storyline.

Four-and-a-half s, only because of the limited SG in the demo.

WTG, Elephant Games and !

Regards, elldee

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Nov 10, 11 5:26 AM
I really liked this game! Elephant Games comes through again

Liked:

Loved the intro
3 modes of difficulty
Voice overs
Excellent hint system (in casual mode)
Great graphics
Fantastic story
Interactive hidden object scenes
Fun and unique mini games

Dislikes:

The fact that I have to decide which CE to buy. Death Under the Tuscan Sun or Hallowed Legend: Templar?

I have to go to work right now so if anyone has an opinion please leave it I will be buying tonight.

Loved this demo! out of 5.

[Post New]by fishiegamer on Nov 10, 11 5:33 AM
Loved other games by this developer and was not disapointed with this one.

Graphics are crisp & sharp, occasional surprises/scares which charge the adrenalin, soundtrack is atmospheric & evocative of the mood of the game, (with no irritating musak loop), gameplay is engaging, navigation is logical, HOS in Casual mode are not too difficult ('though some of the hit zones are small), puzzle objectives are clear & puzzles are chalenging whilst not too difficult so far.

Completed the Trial in 50mins & left me wanting to know what comes next (as all good trials should). It's a definate buy for me.

Edited on 11/10/2011 at 5:45:46 AM PST

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Nov 10, 11 5:49 AM
This look like a very good game. The hints tell you where to go to look for a useful object. The sounds are very spooky. I don't know if the SG is going to be necessary. I will play the demo until the time runs. I will buy this game but whether I buy CE or wait for the SE I will decide later.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 10, 11 5:57 AM
Jools_99 wrote:I finished the demo in under hour.... So not going to buy a game that will only last 2-3 hours...

So yes game length is a motive for purchase as want value for money. As stated i have no problems with game itself

It's not a demo, it's a sample. It ends when the devs choose to end it, so is not a true indication of game length.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Nov 10, 11 6:10 AM
angelfish106 wrote:
Jools_99 wrote:I finished the demo in under hour.... So not going to buy a game that will only last 2-3 hours...

So yes game length is a motive for purchase as want value for money. As stated i have no problems with game itself

It's not a demo, it's a sample. It ends when the devs choose to end it, so is not a true indication of game length.
I play now for 4 hours and still not finished.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Nov 10, 11 6:17 AM
Love Elephant games!!!!!

One of my fav devs. Super graphics as usual, and great storyline. Integrated SG. This game took me 6 hours to play lol love to enjoy the graphics.

The only suggestion from me is I really needed a map. I was lost alot as usual.

I totally agree with all of the more indepth positive reviews.

Super happy game day today

juleslorraine
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by juleslorraine on Nov 10, 11 6:27 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:30 minutes of play were enough to buy the game (devoted fan of Elephant games) - I was never frustrated, hope that it stays for the future too...

If I don't need to add brightness with my bad eyes, sign that that the resolution is great.

I am not impressed by the achievements - mine are always low... But really impressed by the quality of the game, and how much I enjoy it. And Cherb, I hope these developers won't let you down with the length of the game...

Kudos Elephant and BF!

Edit:

Length of SG:

chapter 1 - 10 pages
chapter 2 - 10 pages
chapter 3 - 13 pages
chapter 4 - 18 pages
bonus - 12 pages (total 63 pages instead of usual 50 pages)

Thanks Rebeca for posting the length. I had pretty much decided that I was buying it after 20 mins of demo time because there is A LOT to do. Fantastic graphics and I'm even liking the music. So to sum it up it's a buy because...

I LOVE IT!

I should have known when I saw the developer though as their games are rarely not on my "to buy" list! YAY!! I'm so happy!

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Nov 10, 11 6:47 AM
Don't know why but I didn't really care for it. Maybe cause the cursor felt slow and clunky, I prefer a skinny cursor. Everything just felt sloooow . The difficulty level was good, I had a hard time with the hog scenes and the puzzles which is what I like, not too much hand-holding on the medium difficulty, so I don't know why I didn't like it. I'll try again later, still have a half hour left on demo. I bought Samheim and ended up not liking it, either, couldn't wait for it to be over. I liked yesterday's game though!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Nov 10, 11 6:53 AM
nomatt wrote:Great graphics, sounds, everything. But nothing new. It seems so like so many other games it felt as though I had already played it. I'm sure it is made on the template of several other games with just the scenes changed. Not too long ago this would have been a ground breaking game but today it is just another CE clone and as such didn't really grab me.

Me too - didn't grab me either. Templar knights are so old. Have gone into the demo twice and exited after a few minutes. And I usually LOVE elephant games.

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Nov 10, 11 7:01 AM
Hi everyone

This is a great new game in the Hallowed Legends series and is on par with the Samhein game. I played in hardcore mode and finished the demo in 50 minutes, which actually is pretty good since demos of games like this usually take me between 35-40 minutes. With no hand holding, no HOG hints, and no puzzles skips, the game is much more challenging. Usually, I rush through HOG games because they are not hard enough and I get bored with story after awhile, but this one has an interesting story and is medium-hard difficulty without taxing the brain too much. Where objects go is pretty obvious, as well as how to use them, so I had no problem figuring out what to do to advance the game. I like the achievement aspect of the game as well, like finding the hidden object to collect as well as finishing puzzles with no skips. There are quite a lot to earn which will keep players busy for awhile.

The game is well made, has beautiful graphics, and the cut scenes are amazing. I also thought that the puzzles and HOG scenes were challenging, and I like when there is interaction in HOG scenes, and being able to use collected inventory items in them to find hidden items is a nice unexpected feature as well.

I haven't felt compelled to buy a CE for a couple of weeks, but I am going to get this one. I think it's worth the money, and I am happy to pay for a CE of this high quality.

My grades:

Special Features( voiceovers, cutscenes): A+ ( really good-like a movie)
Graphics: A
Music: A
Gameplay: A
Puzzles: A
HOG scenes: B+( they can be hard)
Mode of play( hardcore mode) - A ( excellent and challenging)
Game Issues: none

Overall Grade: A

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 10, 11 7:01 AM

(Not a "Review," per se; maybe off-topic, but this post deserves a respectful response)

Hey Jools--First "Review" I've seen from you. Too bad that you think this game "might" be a bit short. If your opinion was based on finishing "the demo in under hour," well, if you're a slower player (like me), you might get 60 minutes. If you're a faster player, the demo will probably stop at a certain point, perhaps short of the 60 minutes. That's what a lot of developers do.

Now, according to the demo SG, there was only one Chapter available; there are, what--four Chapters plus the bonus? That spells about five hours or more (to me). Whaddya think? This game seems to deserve the CE price tag.

Regards, elldee

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 10, 11 7:32 AM
Oh the Citroen 2 CV. Memories of my childhood and my many years spent in France. Loved seeing that.

I Really really like this game. Nice crisp clear graphics, very pleasing to the eye. Love the ambiant sounds ie water flowing, rain etc. Puzzles so far are easy but fun. Uncluttered H0 scenes. Cursor is a bit laggy at times, but will overlook as everything else IMO is great. Well worthy of CE status. I like having real people as part of the game too.

Edited on 11/10/2011 at 11:48:11 AM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Nov 10, 11 7:37 AM
This review is based on the demo version.

Hallowed Legends: Templar is the second in the Hallowed Legends series by Elephant games.

Up front options are sliders for Music/Environment/Effects/Voice and Gamma (brightness), buttons for Full Screen and Custom Cursor (no wide-screen option)

There are three player modes available: Casual (sparkles, faster charging hints/skips) Advanced (no sparkles, slower charging hints/skips) and Hardcore (no information no hints, no skips) (NOTE: RANT COMING) Playing in Hardcore mode does little good, however because hints are everywhere in text, dialogue, puzzles and on everything that is clicked. A key you find isn't just a key, it's the cupboard key; the table downstairs has a hidden mechanism; the slot in the ring puzzle is for a femine amulet, etc. Developers please...make hardcore mode meaningful to hardcore players. There is a strategy guide, hint button and sparkles for those wishing to use them. Please stop putting hints in all the text aspects of the game. This is becoming a make or break thing, as it reduces my enjoyment and gameplay time. And afterall, it is all about me, right? LOL. (OK - rant over).

The story has been a good one so far with lots of spooky moments. There are plenty of HOS scenes to keep the hidden object fans happy and so far a few puzzles (none very original or difficult). The atmosphere is good, the graphics okay, but not the best I've seen from this team, and the music adds nicely to the overall moodiness. The FX so far have been mostly cutscenes that have been welldone and nicely woven into the game.

I'm purchasing this one on faith...

[Post New]by kimberly007 on Nov 10, 11 7:50 AM
I love the graphics, and I love the game. I just wish the (fart) sound wasn't through out it...

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 10, 11 8:14 AM
As expected from EG it's just lovely and I personally got sucked right into the story line. I'm dying to buy it - I have all other EG CE's - but am going to wait a bit & keep a wary eye on the "tech issues" thread. I'm happy it so far has few posts - but I just haven't recovered from the HL Samhain glitches (and that final puzzle in the last Mystery Trackers...).

For a minute I panicked and thought one game in this had a glitch - did check SG and realized as a first you can complete a puzzle/lock thingy without all the pieces to fully open that which needs opening (was that vague enough to not warrant "spolier white" text? So in the end - that's a positive - this game - it seems - will have some unique game play aspects to keep us on our toes!

I love achievements - hope those are glitch free too!

To those worried about length - that's one area EG hasn't dissapointed us in so far - you always get "bang for your buck" with their CE's so have faith - orrrr hang in for folks to finish & advise of play time - it won't be long now

Upshot - I love what I've seen so far - it has everything *I* could want in a game - but (obviously ) just can't shake my trepidations of all running smoothly...will keep fingers crossed for glitch free reports as the day goes on & hopefully will buy this evening!!

Thanks EG & BFG for a lovely Thursday treat!!

[Post New]by jailbird400 on Nov 10, 11 8:20 AM
Looks like a great game! BUT...widescreen is a big deal to me when i am spending $14. I have a pc geared just for gaming. To many games out there that CAN fill my screen. No more CE that can not do this for me.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Nov 10, 11 8:33 AM
This IS a good game, no denying it. I really cannot fault it. They did everything right and the finished product is great.

Why, then, I ask myself, did I become fed-up half way through?

I just became bored, it seemed to be too much of a muchness. No surprises, nothing new, a bit **** hum.

Maybe it was just my state of mind.

Did no-one else find it became a bit of a plod after a while?

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Nov 10, 11 8:34 AM
I've come to enjoy Elephant Games after playing several of them, like Urban Legends: The Maze, Mystery Trackers - both The Void & Raincliff, along with the 2 Lost in the City games. They always produce high quality games with interesting story lines. (I also noticed on their website that there is a new Mystery Trackers game listed as coming soon).

This game, based on the demo, continues their history of quality games. I was in the middle of another game, but I'm going to have to leave it be to play this game. I really enjoyed the Full Motion Video intro and cutscenes and the storyline sucked me in right away. I'm impressed that they went to the trouble to create this effect. Templars as antagonists?! Great twist!

The music and graphics are as nicely made as their previous games. The locations and mood are sufficiently spooky, with some good spooky encounters early on. Some of the objects are very well hidden, at least to my eyes, and the puzzles are just the right difficulty, so far. I've not encountered any problems and have enjoyed this enough to buy the CE. Thanks, developers and BFG!

Go to: