angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Your Comments for Hallowed Legends: Templar Collector's Edition

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 10, 11 5:44 AM
I'm with cbtx on this issue; it's programming that determines whether or not a game will play in widescreen and nothing to do with which OS or PC you happen to use. My monitor is set to it's 'native resolution' i.e. the size the graphics card determines is the best. If I change that, my screen shrinks so it's pointless changing it for a game. The recent 'Time Mysteries' game filled the screen; this one doesn't. The latest Royal Envoy doesn't either but no black bars down the side; the devs at least made it appear to fill the screen by edging the playing area with an attractive border. Perhaps other devs might follow suit if they can't be bothered to offer w/s as standard.

alpha_Tau
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by alpha_Tau on Nov 10, 11 6:16 AM
Hi fishies,

I'm with cbtx and others on the issues with widescreen compatibility, etc. Being a software developer (part time), I know that there can be significant compatibility problems between the various versions of Windows (eg XP or 7), the various sub-versions within versions (eg Home or Ultimate), the bit versions (ie 32 or 64), the various hardware variants, driver variants, etc, etc, etc.

In fairness to the developers, however, because of all of the permutations and combinations possible, it is not easy (and, sometimes, not possible) to make a game work with all of these variants.

However, we must also take the development environments in to account. These kinds of games are not built from the ground up, but are generated within game systems, such as Torque, or a developer's own proprietary system.

Nevertheless, it is important for developers to test thoroughly, on as many different systems as possible, and, if they can't do this in-house, then they should beta test in the community, which does not seem to happen with many releases.

While we should all keep our PCs up to date with the latest DirectX and graphics card drivers, etc, it behooves the game developers to ensure that they do not overstep the "bounds" in using these environments (eg memory allocation must employ Windows accesses, rather than "direct" mapping of any kind), and do this for all versions that they support.

I am certainly frustrated by the results of many undisciplined product developments. In this case, I played "Samhain" without problems, but, with "Templar", I am experiencing flickering graphics and faulty mouse scaling whenever I try to operate pop-up views or interact with the inventory. I am trying all of the usual version-compatibility options, of course, but, so far, no luck.

Whatever, something is not "the same" as before, and my PC is "modern" and up to date for all relevant aspects.

I am using Windows 7, 64-bit, however, and the game page on BF lists only XP and Vista. When will developers realise that XP is (essentially) out of support with Microsoft, Vista is on its way, Windows 7 has been around for quite a while and Windows 8 is due out soon?

Best regards,
aT

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Nov 10, 11 6:59 AM
I played the demo and with the hints button loading so fast, I got through it in less than an hour. I don't think I'll buy this one but if there is nothing out right now better, then maybe.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Nov 10, 11 7:05 AM
Thanks for the info Alpha. I have Vista and have never had a single problem with any game. I'm sorry to hear it's on it's way out. My motherboard clips or something like that died over the summer and I spent over $300 to get my $500 computer fixed just because I have never had any issues and I use it mainly for BF games. I was scared if I bought a new one I'd start having problems like so many others....As for the game, I liked the difficulty of it, but it just didn't grab me. . As I got further away from the hotel I was thinking "No, no, we still have things to do there, I don't want to go to the other side of town and then come back!" I didn't care for Samheim, either. Think I'll buy yesterday's if they get all the bugs worked out.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Nov 10, 11 11:06 AM
While I enjoyed Samhain very much... this sequel just isn't grabbing me for some reason. I found the first chapter quite boring and game play on the easy side even in Expert mode. With what I've played of the demo offered... not a CE purchase for me.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Nov 10, 11 1:26 PM
I really wanted to like this game because I love stories of the Knights Templar, but I just couldn't get into it. The story itself was okay. However, when the brother/detective/you keeps running into the knights and they keep saying "your turn will come", it makes me wonder why they don't just end it then and there. The writing seemed sort of lame.

Aside from the storyline, I thought the whole game was very clunky as far as controls go. I had to unclick the game cursor, which I usually do not have to do, because it was difficult to maneuver the mouse smoothly. A lot of times, especially in hidden object games, I had to click more than once to get the game to acknowledge the item.

The sound was okay. There are voiceovers which were fine. The problem I had was that the sound was so loud when the game started that I turned the sound down to what was an appropriate level for me. However, I used the guide in the sound control and it turned out to be lower than the guide sounded. When I used the sound key on my computer to turn the level up, I them got a blue box that showed up off and on in the lower righthand corner of the game. This is probably a function of my notebook as I do have this problem with some other games.

I played on the hardcore, which was the most advanced of the three levels. In this mode there are no hints, no skip for minigames, etc. The minigames do not reset so I had to restart the game using a different player when I got stuck and tried to use the strategy guide for the rotating picture puzzle. I still was able to complete the demowith a few minutes to spare. The strategy guide was excellent, but only showed chapter 1 so I can't tell how long the game is.

The graphics are dark. There is an adjustment in the controls to brighten the scenes, but they are still going to be somewhat dark for those who are bothered by them. I had no trouble with the hidden objects scenes. The objects are somewhat easy to find, but not too easy. For anyone who is bothered by the occultic, spiders, or snakes, I did not see any of the above items in the game. There is some supernatural element to the game, but nothing that would probably offend anyone and I am usually one who does not want occultic items in games.

Overall, I think this game has the ability to be great. As it is, while it might be a good game, I feel like the clunky controls, etc. keep it from being worth a CE. A SE, yes, but definitely not a CE

Edited on 11/10/2011 at 1:27:44 PM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Nov 10, 11 6:12 PM
glb613 wrote:
cbtx wrote:I'm getting more and more frustrated at the devs that don't address the widescreen issue by programming it in automatically, offering it in the options, or aspect correction. As I have said before, if other devs can do it, why can't they all? Just lazy and inattentive on the part of the devs looks like to me. And for that matter, why doesn't Big Fish REQUIRE that as part of their standards for a CE? Oh well, one can hope but I refuse to pay the CE price for any more games that aren't offering widescreen.

Since 2 other players didn't have an issue with it, it must be your computer. I played the game and except for the video scenes, it fills the screen. Check your resolution settings. If you don't have it set for the native resolution, you'll have problems.

Filling the screen has nothing to do with wide screen support. Normal wide screen mode is what used to be referred to as "letterbox" mode - with the black margins. That utilizes the correct aspect ratio for widescreen monitors. Filling the screen with the image without aspect ratio correction--which is what this game does--causes image distortion and screen rolloff. This game does not have wide screen support.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Nov 10, 11 10:15 PM
I was playing the 'sample demo', and got to the H0 scene in the coffee table. I was happily clicking away, when lo and behold, I saw an old friend - the Toad from the Mystery Tracker games! He looked so cute sitting there in all the clutter, I wanted to pick him up, lol.

Now I just have to decide how soon I will buy this game, lol.

Jen

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Nov 10, 11 10:22 PM
The first Hallowed Legends doesn't play full screen on my PC but this one does.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Nov 10, 11 10:48 PM
Hi there,
I thought it was about time I popped back in with a comment seeing as how I was the OP.
I am sorry that a number of you have had resolution problems (and yes Tex, some games fill the screen with some distortion as they were designed before the offer of aspect ratio).
Suffice to say I have had NO problems with graphics mode, game play etc on the technical side with my 2-year-old laptop running Vista. It seems to be more friendly (for the want of a better word) to the graphic settings than newer ones.
That said, I have enjoyed my time so far - though I have a MAJOR gripe in that I will not get the achievement for no mis-clicks in H0 scenes when the star was so touchy in one of them. Hmph but I did notice the croaker from the Trackers games in one of them though.
And, whilst I played on the hardest mode and managed to get through most of the game without too much head-scratching, I have to admit that I was totally stumped at one stage until I realised that you had to SPOILER lock-up the chains on the bike rather than the usual un-lock. LOL
A most enjoyable game and one of those worth the extra money IMHO for the time alone in the Expert Mode.
I haven't played the Bonus game yet, so I can't comment about this.
Cheers

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 11, 11 12:49 AM
I like this game, I am having a great time and I just have an observation. Why do people play IHOG/HOPA games and then complain about having to wander around (half the fun in my opinion and a big part of these games) and complain about having to play HOG scenes (um... IHOG/HOPA stand for Interactive Hidden Object Game/Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure). Why don't they just play adventure games? I am not being snide here, I am truly curious.

I personally still like the Hidden Object part of these games and I also don't mind junk pile H0 scenes...

alpha_Tau
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by alpha_Tau on Nov 11, 11 2:38 AM
shagwendy wrote:Thanks for the info Alpha. I have Vista and have never had a single problem with any game. I'm sorry to hear it's on it's way out. My motherboard clips or something like that died over the summer and I spent over $300 to get my $500 computer fixed just because I have never had any issues and I use it mainly for BF games. I was scared if I bought a new one I'd start having problems like so many others....As for the game, I liked the difficulty of it, but it just didn't grab me. . As I got further away from the hotel I was thinking "No, no, we still have things to do there, I don't want to go to the other side of town and then come back!" I didn't care for Samheim, either. Think I'll buy yesterday's if they get all the bugs worked out.

Hi there,

This link for the relevant Microsoft web-page shows the current retail life-cycle dates and support life-cycle dates for various Windows versions, which might help in any judgement about changes in the near future.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/lifecycle

As you can see, mainstream support for XP ended more than two years ago and, for Vista, it will end next April. Extended support lasts a while longer, but is not much more than security fixes.

Best regards,
aT

[Post New]by dpw2608 on Nov 11, 11 1:48 PM
dpw2608

I have purchased and played over 100 Big Fish games over the years. Most I have enjoyed. I always look at the reviews to see what everyone has to say, and I usually agree with the majority. Living in the Western U.S. we get them a day later than most of the reviewers. Please someone tell me what the heck was going on with Hallowed Legends: Templar Collector;s Edition? It ended abruptly and why did I have to find 50 doves? P.S. most of them looked like pidgeons! I get that some games aren't all that we hope they will be and we have blown $6.99 or $13.99 but this one got to me---any answers out there??? Thank You

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Nov 11, 11 8:27 PM
DragonLadyOz wrote:Hi Imberis,
My thoughts about the achievements were that they seemed to too easy. LOL
I hope the game itself has more challenge.
Well, game installed, so I am going to head off to play so that I can also add some useful comments/impressions.
Cheers

Sorry I didn't reply sooner! I agree that the achievements were pretty easy. I thought the way the "trophies" are displayed was nice, though.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Nov 11, 11 9:16 PM
Imberis wrote:
DragonLadyOz wrote:Hi Imberis,
My thoughts about the achievements were that they seemed to too easy. LOL
I hope the game itself has more challenge.
Well, game installed, so I am going to head off to play so that I can also add some useful comments/impressions.
Cheers

Sorry I didn't reply sooner! I agree that the achievements were pretty easy. I thought the way the "trophies" are displayed was nice, though.

No problemo, and I am glad that the game had more of a challenge than I originally mentioned.
Mind you I am still somewhat miffed about not achieving the award for no mis-clicks in H0 scenes as that dratted etched star was a bit "touchy" LOL.
Yes, the stained-glass achievements section was very well presented.
Cheers

[Post New]by indiasnowden on Nov 18, 11 1:46 PM
I am loving this game so far after being on an eight month long playing hiatus. The graphics are great, love the music and the special effects sounds are spot on. It will be a challenge for me to fill the eye candy achievements screen. But, I shall enjoy trying to do so. Thousands of games for thousands of different tastes. Happy fishing everyone.

[Post New]by indiasnowden on Nov 18, 11 1:50 PM
I am loving this game so far after being on an eight month long playing hiatus. The graphics are great, love the music and the special effects sounds are spot on. It will be a challenge for me to fill the eye candy achievements screen. But, I shall enjoy trying to do so. Thousands of games for thousands of different tastes. Happy fishing everyone.

Go to: