muttmom
Clownfish
Clownfish
534 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood

[Post New]by muttmom on Nov 12, 11 6:36 PM
I liked this game and I agree very imaginative. Simple enough that I didn't need many clues. I used a credit for a game that didn't work to well and I'm not sorry I used it on this game. It was fun for a cold Saturday afternoon.

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Nov 12, 11 7:50 PM
I just finished playing the entire game....started late this evening, it took a few hours because I was in no particular record breaking mode. I like ERS games ! They are a delight to play because everything is so sharp and clear.....very easy on the optics! Storyline wasn't bad just a continuation from the first one. A nice weekend game

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 12, 11 9:25 PM
I have had several hours of enjoyment with this SE today. Surprised myself because I did not want the first one, sanitariums and hospitals not an appealing topic for me, looking for lite entertainment. I only trialed this today from reviews (not so complex as other ERS games, have maybe 4 or 5 CEs unfinished and no interest in resuming, tedious or difficult for me).

I usually avoid themes where children are in peril or abused but this is different. Like childhood dreams (I loved Nightmare Realm). OK, we are freeing children from their fears in a most imaginative, creative way. The antagonist is playing on their fears. Which, frankly I think most the devs are doing with so many dark, eerie, morbid games. I much prefer being played on my humor.

Up to Chapter 4, taking a dinner break OMG time flies when having fun. I did need the WT here and there to keep me on a path. My playtime is limited and I don't like wasting it getting lost or stuck. The HOS are nice, but simple. I think they are dumbing down HOGs to please the fast clicker bored crowd

Anyway, an extra punch for a game today made me do it and not sorry.

(since I didn't play the first one I say, yeh just leave him there, fun without him How could one not love playing with children's toys again?)

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Nov 13, 11 12:04 AM

Excellent game.... imaginative, creative, clear graphics and absorbing gameplay..... yikes hours flew bye, I couldn't stop playing, lol.

Ongoldenpond
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Ongoldenpond on Nov 13, 11 8:02 AM
Valdy wrote:
cll1950 wrote:Valdy, just two questions. Was it as good as the first Haunted Halls? And in your opinion, how significant was the difference between the Ce and SE?

Well, the CE of this game will have you rescue your husband as well, whereas the SE will only have you rescue all the children.

I do believe this game is as good as the first "Haunted Halls", but in a completely different way. I never got the feeling that I had "been there and done it", if you know what I mean. It was all new and fresh.

Agree with you except that this game was not as difficult as the first (which was fine by me). You must have missed one of the doors in Dr. Blackmoore's lab because you get a chance to save Tim, as well.

[Post New]by shortdeckplayer on Nov 13, 11 5:16 PM
HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. The graphics were fantastic. But the storyline and HOGs and puzzles were very simple compared to the Green Hills Sanitarium. I completed Fears in a very short time. Nowhere near the challenge of Sanitarium.

I won't automatically purchase any Haunted Halls ... I will try them out first to make sure it's to the high caliber I expect.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Nov 14, 11 12:55 AM
Having just finished the game I have to say I was disappointed; this is the sequel to Green Hills Sanitorium but it fell rather short of the first one. I was pleased to see the tentacles were back; they were scary, I think it’s the way they slither about .

As ever the artwork was as lovely as we expect from ERS but the game was not very challenging & I finished in 2-1/2 hours. There are 6 levels & each is in a different environment, some great imaginative stories but they were all pretty easy in terms of Hidden Object scenes (which have interactive items) & mini games.

In regular mode there are sparkles & in expert sparkles for the H0 scenes only; the hint recharges at 60 seconds for both. There is a misclick penalty which in easy mode is very hard to trigger.

I enjoyed playing but don't expect to have to think a lot in this game.

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Nov 14, 11 8:13 AM
I finished the game and IMO it isn't as good as Green Hills Sanatorium. It is easier and I got bored. It has LOTS of HOS and they increase as the game progresses. I always purchased ERS games because they were so good, but I'll be thinking twice from now on.

Ongoldenpond
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Ongoldenpond on Nov 14, 11 9:52 AM
Very similar storyline and style of play to Redemption Cemetary - Plight of Children (which I am currently playing). Not too surprising since they come from the same developer. Both are excellent games but I think Redemption Cemetary is a bit more challenging and overall I like it better.

safarinow
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by safarinow on Nov 14, 11 3:33 PM
I have really enjoyed this game. The developers always give us something good although I didn't enjoy Green Hills as much as it seemed a little grim but that's just my taste. The graphics were good and the music pleasant. Someone somewhere said they did not care for the snowman. I LOVED him. He made me laugh out loud Well, on to my last door. Enjoy gamers! safarinow

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Nov 14, 11 6:58 PM
really love games by these folks
great everything
story, graphics, games
only one thing...this time the H.O. games were shadowed in part...and not everyone, but half of them
it is no fun to try and pick things out of shadow

wjnank
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by wjnank on Nov 15, 11 3:33 PM
I thought this was a terrific game. Lots of fun to play.

[Post New]by teresawithoutanh on Nov 18, 11 2:41 PM
Hi All, New to the Forum, but thought I would add my 2 cents in. Loved the first Haunted Halls, and did buy that one as a CE, but on sale. Demoed this one as SE and got through it awfully fast. After reading reviews, found out that husband stays behind in the SE (not cool). I don't think I'll shell out for CE just for that though. Not a bad game, just a little too easy for my taste. Maybe if it ever gets to the 2.99 sale of the day status.

mlbmama
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by mlbmama on Nov 19, 11 9:12 AM
I played the demo for the CE and knew that I would get it when it came in SE form. I LOVED the game!! I got to rescue the husband as well as the five scared children. As always with ERS games, it was beautifully done! I can't even think of anything to criticize. I thought it was a decent length but then I always opt for the quality and not the quantity of a game! I got so engrossed in it I sat at the pc for several hours without taking a break , and was surprised at how much time had gone by while I was captured by the gameplay. I had to use the WT a few times so I can argue that it is not THAT simple and easy !!! As usual the teacher gives a grade and for this game it is an A+ Enjoy fellow fishies!

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Nov 19, 11 3:56 PM
This was one of the most delightful games I have played this year (and I have played a lot!). Interesting story line, imaginative graphics, good puzzles that were solvable. And a Happy Ending! What more can a girl want??

[Post New]by beachcomber65 on Nov 22, 11 5:43 PM
This has been a very fun and interesting game. One of my favorites, lots of interaction. I've found it to be unique. Thank you BF and may there be more like it.

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Nov 24, 11 6:55 AM
THIS IS THE SECOND HAUNTED HALLS GAME I'VE PLAYED. BOTH WERE GREAT. GOOD PUZZLES AND LOT'S OF HIDDEN OBJECTS SCENES. THE ENDING TO FEARS FROM CHILDHOOD WAS SO ABRUPT, I ALMOST MISSED IT. OTHER THAN THE SUPER QUICK ENDING I LIKED THIS GAME.

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Nov 24, 11 9:01 PM
I play each game twice. This game was very imaginative, had good graphics and great HOS. Definitely worth the money for me!

BluesyBlue
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by BluesyBlue on Nov 24, 11 11:47 PM
Me and my wife are great fans of Hidden Object Adventure games and we always play them together. Here's what we thought about this one...

Let's make it simple, I give you... the Good and the Bad and the Conclusion:

+ The imaginative ideas and visuals
+ Sounds and music (actual voice acting always makes it a bit deeper experience)
+ The strange paranormal creepiness
+ Length of the game
+ Without spoiling too much, certain toyish part of the game.
+ Hidden Object parts have those interactive methods of finding the listed items

- Only 1-2 hard actual puzzles in my opinion
- Dissapointing and too obvious ending
- Sorta easy... but this is very personal thing in the end

THE CONCLUSION
We both loved the whole atmosphere and the interactive and animated payoff with the puzzles. We were all jittery about what will happen after completing this and that task. Truly holds you in like the good Big Fish adventures do.

Sometimes the voice acting is waaaay amateurish in other games, but this one mainly had the children doing the talking and it did work! The journey was thrilling, but the ending unfortunately lacked the joy of it. Was hoping for some twist or something there. The end part puzzles were the seriously harder ones.

I still recommend it though and we will have to pick up the first part of the serie, since we kinda... did this whole thing backwards. ^^ We are the kinda people who need to know the full story behind all happenings.

karica
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by karica on Nov 25, 11 12:46 PM
Guys I love this game!!!Demo is insane, I`ll buy it for sure

Go to: