joyzebra
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

Re:Reviews for Relics: Dark Hours

[Post New]by joyzebra on Nov 14, 11 10:51 AM
I am so frustrated with this game. Got uniform, talked to angry teacher, got 3 keys. I am walking in circles getting nowhere! Third day in row could not find a game to purchase.

[Post New]by Intrepid_51 on Nov 14, 11 11:07 AM
I'm only 15 minutes into the demo and have already decided this one is going to be a No Buy for me! It's just too frustrating wandering around aimless trying to find needed oblects. The graphics are nice though and I liked the fact that it has the gamma setting option available to lighten things up a bit without having to dink around with my computer settings to fix yet another "way too dark" game.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Nov 14, 11 12:50 PM

Ok so I'm the odd fish out again cause so far, I'm liking this one...
It's unique and different and well worth the navigation struggle if only to see what develops.... guess it grabbed my curiosity factor more than my patience (rather, lack therof).
As mentioned, it is similar style as Carol Reed and definitely appears to be a private developer's effort versus big time production game company.

The graphics are clear and any misunderstood dialog can be read via text narration.

Interesting gaming concept here in general as far as creative development. Not sure I like the theme so much but me thinks I'll dole out the for it.

poggyapoo
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by poggyapoo on Nov 14, 11 1:42 PM
Well I'm with Fortunas on this......like it, like it, like it (oops getting carried away like the parrot on the ad ). Half the fun (to me anyway) is wandering about looking for what to do next! As I have some games codes to use up........and as this is a very big game by the looks of it........I am deffo going to buy! Well that's me sorted for the next........... and beyond!

poggyapoo
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by poggyapoo on Nov 14, 11 1:42 PM
Well I'm with Fortunas on this......like it, like it, like it (oops getting carried away like the parrot on the ad ). Half the fun (to me anyway) is wandering about looking for what to do next! As I have some games codes to use up........and as this is a very big game by the looks of it........I am deffo going to buy! Well that's me sorted for the next........... and beyond!

poggyapoo
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by poggyapoo on Nov 14, 11 1:45 PM
Well I'm with Fortunatus on this......like it, like it, like it (oops getting carried away like the parrot on the ad ). Half the fun (to me anyway) is wandering about looking for what to do next! As I have some games codes to use up........and as this is a very big game by the looks of it........I am deffo going to buy! Well that's me sorted for the next........... and beyond!

PS.....if I get lost......please come and find me

RivenWolfe
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by RivenWolfe on Nov 14, 11 1:47 PM

Beware, long ramble/rant/thought o_O

I only played a few minutes of this game on the demo to get a "feel" of the game play. I didn't think I'd like it with the live action rather than the CGI or hand drawn art of regular adventure games that I usually play, but I'm surprised, it's a buy for me after only a few minutes. It reminds a lot of the Delaware St John games in both layout and gameplay, I wouldn't be surprised if the people that made the Delaware games had a hand in this, and since I loved those three games I'm sure that I'll enjoy this one even though it has "live" human actors.
It's funny, I tried to get into those Carol Reed games that a few others have mentioned but I really couldn't get myself to like the games no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get into the game/story, and the human actors irked me. This game is much the same and I'll be grabbing it after I write, go figure, it's funny how a mind works.

This isn't much of a review since I've only given the game a few minutes but I wanted to put my two cents in.
This is NOT a HOG, so those of you that prefer that type of game should pass this one by. Those of you that like the Delaware games, then this might grab your attention the way it grabbed mine, or it might not.
It's basically an adventure game where you actually walk around rooms step by step, search for items and solve puzzles. If you grew up on Adventure games like Syberia and Myst then you'll probably like this if you can look past the human actors and the parts of dialogue where their mouths move but no speech is heard, so don't turn the subs off. Or it could just be my puter as I had the exact same problem with the Delaware games. It's like they animated or said the dialogue but didn't record it.

I'm always amazed at how many people complain about how to move around in games like this, at the same time I'm guessing a lot of gamers here are the older kind that came into computer games later in life than growing up with them. Before I say what I'm going to say, I want it known that I do enjoy many of the HOGs and TM games here, most don't need a lot of grey matter to play and finish so they are a nice change to the games I would normally play. Anyway, back to the movement complaints....
-cont-

Edited on 11/14/2011 at 1:55:15 PM PST

RivenWolfe
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by RivenWolfe on Nov 14, 11 1:49 PM

-cont-
When I was younger you would buy a game, take it home all excited and ready to play, if you were like me you would read the little booklet that came with it before even turning the game on, most of the time this booklet gave no real information or help, and said said virtually nothing about how to move other than this button for this, that button for that.... But I think that was pat of the fun and excitement. All adventure games have a different "feel" to them, the way you move, interact with things so you would have to "learn" these basics all over again. Sometimes it was easy to get the hang of because you'd played similar games before, other times it took much longer to get used to and even if we didn't like how the game mechanics worked, we persevered because we had brought the game so be better darn well played the thing because back in the early days games could not be returned if they'd been opened (unless you were a regular in the shop and the sellers knew you). Not to mention we didn't have walk through or hints or guides to help us play a game, more often than not some of us would be stuck on a game for weeks trying to figure a certain puzzle out that you were not able to skip, and when you finally figured that nasty puzzle out there was a sense of achievement and excitement to get onto the next part of the game.Yes, things have changed, games are easier to play and offer no real challenge to people like me, they seem pumped out at an alarming rate with very little emphasis on quality, and we can try before we buy.
It's amazing, in the HOG forums we get people complaining bout the shortness of the games (because they are so darn easy), and you get people complaining that it's the same story only done in a different way.... On the opposite side we get complaints with adventure games being "too hard to move around in", or the puzzles are just "too hard", or you cannot "skip" them. If those complainers stopped complaining and gave the game a chance I'm sure many would find they like adventure games over the HOGs, but people want a quick fix, a quick play without too much brain activity, and when they get it, they will still find something to complain about.
-cont-

poggyapoo
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by poggyapoo on Nov 14, 11 1:50 PM
BIG APOLOGIES for the trio of replies by yours truly...........got a lag and thought it had dumped the lot! Anyway............I'm with RivenWolfe.........too much complainin' goin' awn!

RivenWolfe
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by RivenWolfe on Nov 14, 11 1:50 PM

-cont-
I just want people to remember one thing, if they even bother to read this (hahaha), do you remember when you were younger what it was like having just brought a new board game, model set, knitting pattern or embroidery kit ___insert thing here___, you wouldn't just rush gun-**** into it because you would ruin it. Remember taking the time to learn how to glue those tiny pieces together, paint the trim without being sloppy, or getting that embroidered rose or knitting pattern just right? This is the same thing, if you put the effort into a game learning how to play it, you will be rewarded when you finally get the hang of.

Anyhoos, I'll stop preaching now, and I have a game to play. I doubt many will read this, but gee those complaints do get on my nerves.

Happy gaming all.

Cami

Edited on 11/14/2011 at 1:52:23 PM PST

RivenWolfe
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by RivenWolfe on Nov 14, 11 2:04 PM
poggyapoo, you should be able to delete excess posts. There should be a big red button with a white cross on it between "edit" and "PM" up the top of the post.
Easy enough to post more than you need to when your puter is being temperamental.

And yeppers, complainers irk me... I'm a complainer myself, most times about complainers... ~laughs~

Okies, I'm off... happy gaming.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Nov 14, 11 2:11 PM
Rivenwolfe - you made some seriously excellent points. Thanks for your comments.

judyglenning
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by judyglenning on Nov 14, 11 2:42 PM
RivenWolfe, do I misunderstand or are you actually saying I'm only a die-hard HOGger because I'm not smart enough to realize adventure games are better?

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 14, 11 2:53 PM
I'm not altogether sure what the fuss is about.
Navigation is on rails, the map shows you where you are and Think gives you a hint.
After 28 minutes I've finished the first task and been given the keys.
As with most (all?) adventure games these days, there are things on triggers.

LeftBehind
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by LeftBehind on Nov 14, 11 3:05 PM
I love a good Adventure game that is a little on the taxing side, and this one surly is that. But even though I think the sound, voices, and video are awesome, and I would like to play on to see what unfolds, I bet it's good. I also liked the choices given in options. I think the game has good potential. I'd like to buy it now just so I'll have longer than the trial time to figure it out. However, the navigation is too difficult for me as well. I'm glad the game has a map but it gave me no help.

For me, it would have helped if the map had added information on it like, where the janitors room is located so at least you'd know if you were going in circles in the right direction ha. Also a few straight arrows might help to keep us from going in cirles. Would it take the developers alot to change those items?

If I see one day that the game has been adjusted, I will gladly purchase it.
Carol

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Nov 14, 11 3:33 PM
I got tired of trying to navigate around and ending back at the same place. I didn't get very far in the game. It does have an option to lighten or darken the screen, which is great. I found this game just to difficult to play.

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Nov 14, 11 3:38 PM
RivenWolfe, all I could do - after reading your post(s) - was LMAO!!! Also, I take it you remember the Leisure Suit Larry games?!? Correct me if I'm wrong, but was that one of the first - if not the only - adventure games released at that time (early-mid 80's)? I had a HECK of a time learning that game (my sister turned me on to it) and I could, even to this day, NEVER get the hang of it or any other adventure-style game!! Just wanted to share!!

Happy gaming all (LMAO)!!

Robsim

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Nov 14, 11 3:45 PM
What can I say? I like adventure games, but these type, with the photo-like graphics always seem to be hard to control. The Carol Reed games also, which I did want to like but I was sick of going round and around in circles.

However, the storyline I thought was better in this game, so just maybe, I might get this game with a Punch Card Credit.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Nov 14, 11 3:48 PM
judyglenning wrote:RivenWolfe, do I misunderstand or are you actually saying I'm only a die-hard HOGger because I'm not smart enough to realize adventure games are better?

I think you misunderstood. I didn't get that impression at all nor did RivenWolfe even remotely say that.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Nov 14, 11 3:54 PM
vicalana wrote:Rivenwolfe - you made some seriously excellent points. Thanks for your comments.

I agree 110%. Thanks Rivenwolfe for your input. I grew up on Adventure games and they do take time, extra energy and quite a bit of investment on the part of the player. I too remember when there were no walk-throughs so it was solve it or be permanently stuck. I also like IHOGS and regular Hidden Object games when I'm looking for something on the lighter side but when I am up for a time-consuming, brain-straining challenge, it's back on the Adventure gaming wagon. I remember the Myst series being particularly challenging to the point of hair-pulling but it sure felt good to finally solve a puzzle.

Go to: