SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Nov 16, 11 9:59 AM
Another game from Vogat this month; although this is not as good as Reincarnations Back to Reality it is still a good value for money offering at $6.99. This is based on the story of 3 witches who were burned at the stake in the past & seem to have turned the townspeople into ghosts or of course it could be the professor who is the reason. Your job is to investigate & bring the people back.

There are 3 modes of play; easy with sparkles & a 30 second hint recharge, advanced, no sparkles & 60 seconds & for those more brave than I an expert mode with no hints, no sparkles & no skip button.

The graphics are excellent as is the artwork, there are no voiceovers & the dialogue is clickable, the music is ok & the background noises are the usual with this type of genre. You get a notebook & if you hover over it a task list plus a hint button that will tell you what you need to do to get further on in the game if you get stuck. In addition you will receive inventory items, some of which need to be combined.

The H0 scenes, of which there are a lot, have some interactive objects; in addition there is the usual type of mini games to solve. There are 5 chapters to play so it looks like this will be a good length; it has taken me 1-1/2 hours to play two of them. The story is pretty standard but enjoyable nonetheless & am happy to add this to my list of purchases.

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Nov 16, 11 10:04 AM
Well I beg to differ. I guess I am not jaded enough but I am still enjoying this type of game and liked this one. Yes there are common elements with other games but hey, most novels written and/or tv shows today follow basically the same plot with many of the same villains. So far I am having fun playing this game and am going to purchase it. But, should they come up with something that is new and interesting, I will happily try that also.

unknitter
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

[Post New]by unknitter on Nov 16, 11 10:07 AM
I generally rely on reviews to decide whether to try a game. None of these actually gave me a feel for the game so I tried it. For as much as I agree that the car crash, ghosts, demons, evil, supernatural themes are getting old, I do like this game. Graphics are clear; HOS are cluttered and challenging but doable. Interactivity in the HOS is easy and fun. During the trial there was one HOS that required a flashlight. There are lots of things to find and use and some back and forth is necessary, but my inventory didn't get unreasonably full before I was able to use the items. That said, I would not be surprised to get bogged down further on in the game because I tend to do things out of order and get confused. Hints refill quickly and puzzles have a skip button that also refills quickly. No over-click penalty. There is no map but I didn't need one for as far as I got in the trial. I'll be buying this one with this month's credit if there are enough DDs/WCs I want to fill up another punch card. That's my buying strategy to control my spending!

As for the themes I'd like to see in ****/Adventure games, pick a good book; mystery, history, family intrigue, western. We already have games based on stories by E.A. Poe, Agatha Christie, James Patterson and others. There are loads of other good ones to choose from.

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Nov 16, 11 10:08 AM
I agree with so many of you especially Poutoule. It is all such old hat, I mean, a hidden object game using a torch!!! I certainly didn't want the CE and would not even waste pcc on this SE.

Such a disappointment from one of my favorite developers.

As Poutoule said The Keeper was excellent, puzzles challenging and refreshingly different graphics. Lets hope BLAM give us another one very soon.

Linda

Edited on 11/16/2011 at 10:11:59 AM PST

[Post New]by 50plusgamer on Nov 16, 11 11:20 AM
Woolster wrote:Hi All IMO games that were a different spin on the fairytales we grew up on Similar to Dark Parables and Fiction Fixers. Or happy, bright and puzzel filled games like Awakenings and Amber Maden.I to am tired of the Occult and Werewolf, Vampire and Witches. But for all of you that enjoy those games more power to you.

Hi I also would like more light hearted fantasy HOGS (or FROGS) I am getting tired of all the dark stuff. Some of them have been fun to play but a little humour and fairy tale settings would do a lot for my ability to sleep at nights!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 16, 11 11:36 AM
barbee44 wrote:
FORTUNATUS wrote:
So far looks like "same ole same ole"....

Yeah, I get it that a lot of gamers are 'into' this stuff, but, MAN, am I tired of the witch, demon, ghosts, evil, dark themes..... ALL the eyeballs, skulls, spiders, bugs, snakes, slimy whatevers, and the game intro scene with the car goin off the road thing, delapitaded buildings, fire, hell and damnation. Enough all ready!

Yeesh!!!!!! Maybe I'm goin to play solitaire until things change.

I'm also getting tired of HOG scenes. More FROGS and More adventure with puzzles.... enough HOGS.
It's worn thin.

I too would like to see more FROGS and iHOGS, both in the same game, rather than just plain HOS - and not too many of those either. I get exhausted playing a game if I mainly have to hop from one HOS to the next. LOL

But to be honest, I don't care what theme the game has. As long the graphics are decent, and I am getting entertained while playing the game, it doesn't matter to me.

julie2753
Clownfish
Clownfish
542 Posts

[Post New]by julie2753 on Nov 16, 11 11:57 AM
I am also fed up with these dark games, they are all the same sort of storyline some are so dark and muddled i can't even find the HOs even with my glasses on i loved the Syberia games could play them for hours, i would like to see more of those kind of games, I used to have a job choosing what game to buy as there were so many good ones, these days i struggle to find a good one. To be honest i have been looking elsewhere to find some decent games to play but looks like BFGs have all the devs working for them oh well theres always tomorrow. fingers crossed.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 16, 11 11:58 AM
Not much too add. I do like this game.. and was sorry to see it end.. now will have to buy it to enjoy all of it. I do like the Vogat.. developers and graphics are always clear. I like storylines like this.. so it will be a buy for me.. Glad it's out in the SE form nowl

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Nov 16, 11 1:18 PM
I agree the typical car crashes, decrepit mansions, and lost relatives are becoming tiresome. But my self-imposed antidote to boredom with IHOGs is to be very selective. I don't play every CE demo cuz I only buy 5-6 CE's per year. More likely I just add it to my "check when gets to SE" folder. If I'm still interested when the SE arrives, then it really is a new game to me! That's been a positive thing for me since I really can't afford to buy a CE every week anyway.

Although I'll never know for sure, I imagine even the finest truffles (my weakness) and the finest champagne would become tiresome if that's the steady diet. Venturing to explore the gigantic game library here on BigFish allowed me to find some games that really light my fire -- in totally different categories -- but what fun I've had exploring and trying out so many different types of games!

Of course BigFish can't figure out my preferred genre anymore, so those annoying Game Manager recommendations cover everything from soup to nuts!

The CE of Guardians of Beyond: Witchville happens to be one I played the demo on and really enjoyed, but I waited until this SE released. It's a good use for one of my punch card credits.

ritchieprod
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by ritchieprod on Nov 16, 11 2:34 PM
I hear you, 50plusgamer. I love the games with some humor. Where are the wise cracking detectives and funky sidekicks. Give me a superhero theme with some witty comments and I'm there!

candybrand
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by candybrand on Nov 16, 11 3:18 PM
hey i'm with you guys, let's get some diffrent games going, what about family adventure, i use to love playing that type of game and dream wedding, come on BF let's get busy

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Nov 16, 11 3:20 PM
I usually like Vogat games, but not this one. I found this game to be so boring! The sounds and music are creepy. I just lost interest running back and forth to the different scenes. I guess it's just the same game with different scenes.

PuppyDogMom1
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by PuppyDogMom1 on Nov 16, 11 3:53 PM
peh4psu wrote:I know everyone is getting tired of the same type of scenario in some of the games. What are your suggestions for a different type of game? Just curious.....

It would be nice if characters had a sense of humor. Or the developers did.

bfgfan25
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by bfgfan25 on Nov 16, 11 5:31 PM
I guess I'm in the minority because I still love the dark and eerie games, especially the asylum ones, as long as they're interesting and have good gameplay. This one has good gameplay and it's from a developer I like, but I found it boring. It will probably be a no-buy unless I can't find anything else to fill my punch card.

I personally find most of the lighter-themed games boring and am not the slightest bit offended by demons, witches, etc.

[Post New]by doofenschmurtz on Nov 16, 11 10:03 PM
Looks like Vogat FORGOT how to make good games anymore.They caught us on the last Reincarnations and are trying to do it here.Well Vogat No buy this time

RobB4
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by RobB4 on Nov 17, 11 12:48 AM
My first and probably only post in these forums ....

Just in case it might make some small difference, I'd like to add my voice to those tired of these same old dark themed games.

No more witchcraft, cemeteries, ghosts or demons etc for me!

I'd like more games like Gardenscapes, Dream Inn: Driftwood, Antiques Roadshow, Golden Trails etc - games that are bright and cheerful and just plain fun to play.
We have enough doom, gloom and depression in the real world and on tv etc without actually paying $$ to obtain more IMHO.

I love BFG but need something more uplifting rather than depressing from my "games".

Edited on 11/17/2011 at 12:52:57 AM PST

lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by lovemybook on Nov 17, 11 2:49 AM
peh4psu wrote:I know everyone is getting tired of the same type of scenario in some of the games. What are your suggestions for a different type of game? Just curious.....

TV today has gone the same route, hasn't it? When I was young, kid's shows were all about overcoming a villian - now they are all about saving the world from some monstrous, occultish evil. Maybe the developers need to scale back a bit and concentrate on the puzzle. Remember old Agatha Christie books? Every year she had to come up with a new murder but somehow it was always a fresh idea.

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Nov 17, 11 4:01 AM
Poutoule wrote:
Thanks for the review roxiestar, had forgotten all about it. I do agree about Reincarnations, first one so so, 2nd excellent, 3rd boring. I love Vogat so I will probably spend a pcc on this one.
(It's so difficult to find a game good after playing the amazing, long, excellent CE of The Keepers...)

Thanks Poutoule, I am glad you liked my review! I wish I had used a credit on this game when it came out as SE instead of buying it as a CE. I definitely feel like I wasted money especially since I got bored midway through and don't have any interest in finishing it right now. The fact that it is a Vogat game is what impaired my judgement since I usually love their games. I will be more wary of the next game they put out, especially since I found the new Reincarnations to be so disappointing as well. Thankfully I waited for the SE of the new Reincarnations and used a credit to buy it instead of splurging on the CE of that one. The 2nd Reincarnations is my favorite too. I think I will be re-playing that one soon in an attempt to make up for my disappointment with Vogat's latest offerings. I really hope they get back on track soon, and give us something new and exciting, like F.A.C.E.S., which had an original story and was the last game by them that I really loved. That Keepers game you mentioned slipped under the radar for me. It sounds good, and per your recommendation I just might have to check it out.

50plusgamer wrote:
Woolster wrote:Hi All IMO games that were a different spin on the fairytales we grew up on Similar to Dark Parables and Fiction Fixers. Or happy, bright and puzzel filled games like Awakenings and Amber Maden.I to am tired of the Occult and Werewolf, Vampire and Witches. But for all of you that enjoy those games more power to you.

Hi I also would like more light hearted fantasy HOGS (or FROGS) I am getting tired of all the dark stuff. Some of them have been fun to play but a little humour and fairy tale settings would do a lot for my ability to sleep at nights!

Have either of you tried the new Mystery Legends game Beauty and the Beast? Its a great fairy tale game, I did not think it was creepy (there is an evil witch in it but I didn't find her scary) and it even has some humor and silliness to it. I would recommend that game if you haven't tried it yet, especially if you liked the Princess Isabella games, since it reminded me a lot of those.

Edited on 11/17/2011 at 4:17:32 AM PST

[Post New]by gamineannie on Nov 17, 11 8:12 AM
I came here looking for info on gameplay of today's release, but find only a few actual reviews in the so-called review thread. Thanks to those of you who managed to stay focused on the reason for the thread. I really appreciate your sharing your experiences, as well as some general gameplay information with us.
While I agree with many of the points presented in the many comments posts, I feel they deserve their own thread - oh, my, there is a comments thread available!

flossytj
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by flossytj on Nov 17, 11 8:25 AM
Pertigal wrote:

OK, I know it's not a review, but I can't resist.....trapped in the shopping mall at night....but something is after my credit cards! lol Actually, it's an excellent question.

Only a quick suggestion, I would like to see more games like Delaware St John, does anyone know if there are going to be anymore in the series? Also i really enjoyed Rhiannon and the four branches, anybody agree?

Edited on 11/17/2011 at 8:27:52 AM PST

Go to: