Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Stories: Mountains of Madness

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 19, 11 5:07 AM
This is a great game and its a SE! The graphic is very good, the puzzles too, very less hogscenes in my trialtime (only one until now), storyline is also interesting. For me its a definete buy

[Post New]by heatherington on Nov 19, 11 5:42 AM
Welcome to the forums Lelia43, would you care to elaborate? Not sure what was funny.

Anyway, I played the demo and found it riviting enough. I'm not sure how much devotion one man should get, but I guess if I was in love with him I would not stop until I found out what happened to him.

The hints are a great help, I didn't have any trouble figuring out what to do and I played the demo until I ran out of time. Any time I do that, that game is worthy. So I bought it. They story is a little strange, but it is a story, so I want to know what happens.

Edited on 11/19/2011 at 6:47:03 AM PST

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Nov 19, 11 5:47 AM
msdawn01 wrote:i 'm stuck, on my way to city ,can't figure out the markings ?

sorry to go off topic everyone.....................msdawn I've sent you a pm.

pearls10
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by pearls10 on Nov 19, 11 6:09 AM
I am so pleased for the Devs that most of you seem to like this game.I was lucky enough to be asked to Beta test it and having read H P Lovecraft many years ago jumped at the chance.
The beautiful graphics drew me in immediately and scrolling gave the graphics more chance to shine.I don't play with sound so have no idea about the narration but other reviewers have made their comments.I love the fact that the game can be tailored to suit your individual needs (other devs please note)
The game does seem a bit disjointed in parts but I remember still being outside the tower after 30 plus minutes so I think the game had to be made easier, thus the cuts.
I have bought the game and have finished it and am awaiting the next game,thank you Devs and thank you BFG!

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Nov 19, 11 6:25 AM
Quite a nice game! The graphics are just beautiful. H0 scenes: not too difficult to find items although I like the whole list at one time - nor were the puzzles too very difficult. Lots of achievements to earn - I just forgot to see how many I'd earned when I stopped playing the demo. I made it to the cave before I stopped but not at all sure how much game is left. I don't recall the game "telling" me when I finished or started a "chapter". I'd love to see a WT to find out how much game is left. There are several options to "customize" the game.

The hint system is quite generous and helpful so really wouldn't need a WT for that. I had the speakers on for just a couple of minutes so cannot really comment on the voices (if any) or much of the background music. I just love the snow blowing around and could even see one dog's breath further along in the game. The bit of scrolling (which could be turned off) is not at all distracting or enough to cause "motion sickness" for me.

I would really like to get this game but have only a couple of coupons left and still many days until the end of the month. Will do a bit more thinking on it before I decide.

MLC60
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by MLC60 on Nov 19, 11 6:48 AM
I think this is a nice change of pace from the usual mad doctor/lost ghost types we see so often. I did notice the female character has to do all the grunge work, so she must be the junior member of the team. I came across about 3 HOG scenes in the hour I played. They were well drawn and, though junkpile-ish, not difficult. There were a variety of other types of games. All in all, a very enjoyable game. I'm off to buy!

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Nov 19, 11 6:55 AM
Goodday fishies!

From the trial this looks like a good game. Clear enough graphics, an interesting story, non-junkpile H0 scenes and a very good hint system. And all of this for the SE price!

Even, the scenes can be made scrollable, if you can deal with that effect. A really player-friendly game. Thanks devs!

4 out of 5 to me.

Enjoy!

ETA: Someone told me this game isn't THAT 'new'... It would already have been released in august this year...

Edited on 11/19/2011 at 9:08:34 AM PST

WPat651044
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by WPat651044 on Nov 19, 11 7:00 AM
This game was good. Very different from the usual but likeable. I got it with a punchcard credit. No problems with navigation, graphics were great, but I wished it has lasted a little longer.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Nov 19, 11 7:20 AM
I really enjoyed this game. It's a wonderful break from the usual. I call this a fantasy/sci fi game. Loved the story line.

This has so many options I was amazed! You have 2 difficulty modes. I choice of scrolling screen or not and can change that at any time during play. The hint system is very unusual and I really liked it. There is an advice button that give you a text hint or the hint button that points the way.

The flow of the story was great for me. I tend to forget what my original objective was while concentrating on the play (and no I am not an old lady with memory problem) With this game it keeps you very involved. The hidden object scenes are few but well done. The same for mini games.

I will be buying this next but have a couple to finish first.

out of 5. Would have been a 5 if there was a walk through.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Nov 19, 11 7:23 AM
Just finished the demo and it will be a "buy". Very entertaining with a great HINIT key and the mini games were not so hard you just ran out of patience and skipped them. HOS were fun and the objects large so they could be seen. Interesting story and curious about the ending. You'll enjoy this one. Very few voice overs and they were pleasant but slow. Doesn't seem to be a click penalty...thank God for that!

spenny1
Catfish
Catfish
1,637 Posts

[Post New]by spenny1 on Nov 19, 11 7:24 AM
pearls10 wrote:I am so pleased for the Devs that most of you seem to like this game.I was lucky enough to be asked to Beta test it and having read H P Lovecraft many years ago jumped at the chance.
The beautiful graphics drew me in immediately and scrolling gave the graphics more chance to shine.I don't play with sound so have no idea about the narration but other reviewers have made their comments.I love the fact that the game can be tailored to suit your individual needs (other devs please note)
The game does seem a bit disjointed in parts but I remember still being outside the tower after 30 plus minutes so I think the game had to be made easier, thus the cuts.
I have bought the game and have finished it and am awaiting the next game,thank you Devs and thank you BFG!

Hi pearls10, as you have finished it, would you tell me how many chapters there are please?

Thanks

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Nov 19, 11 7:28 AM
shorenuf wrote:The story is based on the novel by H.P. Lovecraft. I do read these kind of sci-fi / surreal books, but haven't read Lovecraft. Has anyone here read it? The story is pretty gruesome so far, and cold -- the search is in Antarctica. But, as I said, I'm hooked on everything about this game.

I am a big fan of H.P.Lovecraft and I have read all his books. However, he did not write sci-fi. His books are all terror and very heavy terror. He specialized in ancient gods and his stories were hair-raising ones. If you scare easily, do not read his books. If you do not, go for it! I do not recognize the story of this game, but I guess it must have been "diluted" somewhat. Buying it, of course.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 19, 11 7:52 AM
Good reviews and comments have already been posted by Jojo and Valdy however unlike them I did purchase both of the previous Mystery Stories and, of the three, I prefer the style of game in this one to the two others ... I just hope there aren't any spot the differences in this one .

I particularly like the fact that there is an option to scroll certain scenes as I am one of the lucky ones who doesn't get nauseous and I think it adds to the game and makes you feel more like you are actually there. I also liked that I could play in two modes depending on how difficult I found the game and I chose the hardest and I got as far as the putting the book when my time ran out.

Alas I cannot buy it until next month but I will definitely do so then.

Cherb

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Nov 19, 11 7:56 AM
No technical problems on this one. This appears to be a combination adventure and hidden object game. The music is relaxing rather than annoying. I enjoyed the fact that in the **** scenes the stuff you remove is NOT back when you go there again. Items were pretty easy to find but there are a few hidden in the dark. The hint system is fast and it is like having a SG included because if you can't figure things out it helps you along. There are two perspectives in the game...two characters get separated. This is really different and I liked it. The mini-games are not really easy but they are enjoyable. I was really sorry when the demo ended. A definite buy for me!

Edited on 11/19/2011 at 7:58:28 AM PST

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Nov 19, 11 8:21 AM
I won't be buying this game because it's kinda dumb. It's really easy if you use the hinnt button brcause it never dies. It will take you through the entire game in no time.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 19, 11 8:59 AM
Game created by Cerasus Media, a Germany based media company. Not familiar with them at all, so I investigated them. I love Lovecraft and will be excited to play the game. There are voice overs. The game to me seems to operate slightly different from others we play on this website. There is a scrolling option which is rather "cool." The story interests me - rather like a sequel to "The Thing" movie which was released recently. If you don't like the science fiction horror genre, which I love, by the way, you will probably not like this game.

However, this is a phenomenal game for the price. On my computer it is a little jerky as I cannot get the inventory items to stay on the icon. A little irritating. I have to keep the mouse key down the complete time I use the item. Other than that, it is a good game. Not a great game such as from ERS or Elephant or Vogat, but a very nice game. You will find it slightly different from other games offered on this site, but this does not make it a bad game, just different. Nothing wrong with that at all. I would give this game a B+ due to some technical problems.

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Nov 19, 11 9:24 AM
The graphics of this game are beautiful, the story is intriguing but the game is rather on the easy side.

But what is bugging me most is that it in no way resembles the original story by Lovecraft. Lovecraft's stories are incredible creepy and scary, those stories and the fear it awakes stays with you even if you close the book.

i would have expected this to be a true dark and eery game, but so far I haven't found anything that remotely resembles the athosphere Lovecraft created in his stories.

That doesn't mean it is a bad game, it is actually quite enjoyable and beautifully done, although rather easy.

But as a game based upon a Lovecraft story it is a joke.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 19, 11 9:27 AM
hannah57 wrote:I won't be buying this game because it's kinda dumb. It's really easy if you use the hinnt button brcause it never dies. It will take you through the entire game in no time.

Just like you can print out a walkthrough of a game, and play the game only following the walkthrough. Sure, you can go those ways. But why?

I wouldn't even bother buying the game if I just clicked on the HINT button (or followed a walkthrough scene by scene) in order to get through a game.

There are other games where you can use the HINT button without having to wait for a recharge. Doesn't make me want to use it any more often though. Really don't get that comment.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 19, 11 10:21 AM
Have played 30 min and at first it was what do I do next and used the hint to find where things were that I needed. It's a storyline that haven't seen for awhile and only have done one hidden object scene so wonder about that. It moves along well and can't quite decide if I want to buy it or not. Maybe in the next 30 min I will. It's not a game I won't buy as I did enjoy what I did play.

Edited on 11/19/2011 at 10:22:47 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 19, 11 10:28 AM
Nice game, considering it is an Se (finally!). Good graphics, music and game play. Not muchin the way of HOGs (which I do like), nice games, excellent hint button with fast recovery. By all accounts and reviews, it looks to be a short game, but I'm hooked and will use one of my credits. I liked this one. Thanks for the reviews.

Go to: