CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Manor: Queen of Death Collector's Edition

[Post New]by CasualGran on Nov 20, 11 1:55 AM
Goodday fishies!

Top Evidence Studio has developed Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors, remember?
And that was a game I gave 5 stars, because of the crystal clear graphics and the thrilling story line.

And now we have this girl-twins horror story as the follow-up. Well, I have to say, this one will not get 5 stars out of 5 from me. I was horrified seeing (highlight to read) my own mother (playing the headcharacter of course) die in that carriage right before my eyes. Does a thrilling storyline have to be like this to attract players? I don't think so. And then that (highlight to read) creature stealing souls. Detestable to look at, as are all the other hellish images in this game. To me this is just overdone and unnecessary to make a game thrilling. The excitement has to be more in the structure of the storyline, in the elements of surprise. Not in horrifying images and death tokens everywhere.

So, although this game has quality, looking at the graphics, I'm really on the fence if I should pay the CE price for it. I'm not even sure if the SE price wouldn't be too much.
I just don't like it much. I even stopped the demo because I just had enough of looking at all those hellish images.

Give it 2 out of 5, just for the clearness of the graphics and the effort of making this game.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 20, 11 1:56 AM
I'll buy this game as an SE with a freebie credit. And I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to buy it now and keep playing... but see below for why I'm skipping it. I LOVE the creepy storyline... my fave kind of game... fix the below issue and I'll buy.

BUT.... PLEASE LISTEN DEVS!!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole point of a CE is to immerse yourself in the game fully... what this means is that when I PAY YOU I WANT THE FULL GAME. That means EVERYTHING. I want to put the wallpaper on my computer while I play... look at art as I come across things... listen to music (if I like it) when I'm not playing etc etc etc.

In other words... by locking your "extras" until the game is finished they are WORTHLESS to me. I get it... I'm just one little player. But I bet there are others who feel the same and don't say so.

Review part... game plays well... hints are available outside of the H0 scenes (YAY!) and will tell you where to go next so you can't really get lost (it's a back and forth adventure style hog). Sparkles are everywhere so those that like them will buy. Too bad there is no option for adventure mode because I think they'll lose half their potential sales because people will be irritated with the hand-holding. It fills my widescreen fine with no adjustment needed. The graphics are amazing as is the animation. There's a bit of "Holy shades of Harry Potter Batman!" feeling which I won't ruin the surprise by explaining... it's good creepy fun... it's just not very original. Kinda felt like a ripoff.

No achievements... no morphing objects... don't know length since they hide the number of chapters in the SG (which it's so easy you won't need anyway)... and no clue if there's bonus play since that isn't even hinted at in the SG either... so all that combined with the wallpaper locked up until the end why is worth a CE price????? It's not. Shame because it really IS a fun game and I'm dying to play... but with all that I'll wait it out. I'm not rewarding them for not putting CE effort into the game and then offering it as a CE game anyway.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Nov 20, 11 1:56 AM
Based on the trial.
This game is a big disappointment:
--First, I'm usually not bothered by sparkles but this looks like a Fourth of July celebration at a haunted house! Way too many to the point of distraction with no difficulty option which might allow you to turn them off.
--Second, all extras are locked so there is no way to determine the length or content of the bonus game. And the wallpapers, concept art, and musical soundtrack are meaningless and in this game with all the sparkles who would ever need the strategy guide? So bonus game content is important but the devs have decided to keep that under sparkles-I mean wraps.
--Third, unlike last night's game there is no widescreen or aspect option-only full screen. So 2008 like. With such a large file I wonder what all the the programming is for (sparkles, maybe?)
--No voiceovers which is really sort of common now and not a huge issue--I was just surprised at the lack thereof considering the file size.
--But the story is quite good and the graphics clear.
Overall, absolutely not up to CE standards at all, maybe as a DD sometime (July 4th?)

[Post New]by mauriandlaw on Nov 20, 11 1:57 AM
The sparkles are plain annoying............ PERIOD !!!
I have the desire to figure things out by myself......... what happened to the different levels of difficulty ??...... i do not think it is asking for much, neither that it is too difficult to do so !!!
NO BUY !!!!
I also do not like people tellng me what i should like and what i should not.......
I'm totally entitled to express myself , and say my opinion ...........

so here i go : NO SPARKLES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You very much !!!

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 1:59:23 AM PST

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 20, 11 2:00 AM
CasualGran wrote:
And now we have this girl-twins horror story as the follow-up. Well, I have to say, this one will not get 5 stars out of 5 from me. I was horrified seeing (highlight to read) my own mother (playing the headcharacter of course) die in that carriage right before my eyes. Does a thrilling storyline have to be like this to attract players? I don't think so. And then that (highlight to read) creature stealing souls. Detestable to look at, as are all the other hellish images in this game. To me this is just overdone and unnecessary to make a game thrilling. The excitement has to be more in the structure of the storyline, in the elements of surprise. Not in horrifying images and death tokens everywhere.

Actually those are the exact things I LOVED about the game... the animation was sooo creepy cool!! Although again it's a total Harry Potter ripoff. But still... I wish there were more games like this. I'm not buying as a CE for other reasons (already posted so won't repeat) but the demony-death images made the game for me. Kinda like Stephen King in a game. LOL.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 20, 11 2:04 AM
I, like a lot of people, dislike being held by the hand and shown where to go next. I am also one of the people who will not use a WT or SG! Only as a very last resort! LOL!
People come in to the forum to get an idea of what the game is like, as they have limited DL time or size and all of the information is of great help to them
This game does not have the choice of difficulty offered, which is a disappointment for a doubly priced game!
[removed by moderator]
Have a nice day

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 11:49:00 AM PST

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Nov 20, 11 2:11 AM
I liked this game. Good spooky looking mansion lol.

Graphics so far are absolutely clear and love the style. I am disappointed that a CE doesnt have voice and the SG should have been available in the demo.

Off to purchase. Happy game day to all

Just finished the game and loved it!!!! I liked the the story and really enjoyed myself with the game and the graphics. This was a nice long game for me even tho I get lost and wander around alot.

The bonus took me about an hour and I really liked the ending

Hope we dont have to wait to long for a new game from this great dev.

Edited on 11/25/2011 at 10:35:19 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 20, 11 2:14 AM
I don't mind sparkles at all, so long they are not too intrusive - and they aren't in this game, IMO.

The game didn't give me widescreen.
There is no voice-over, only the occasional hard breathing of those near death.
There is no choice of casual or advanced mode playing.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor. I chose the custom cursor, because the system cursor is static and won't change when I move over different places.

I own the first "Haunted Manor" game, and liked it a lot. But this game is a hundred times better, IMO.

The graphics are great, and so is the gameplay. I also like the puzzles, and the SKIP button doesn't take forever to fill up.

I played for 58 minutes, and still haven't finished the trial version. I am definitely going to buy this game, but am not sure whether I should wait for the SE or get the CE. I will probably get the CE, because I really enjoy playing this game.

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Nov 20, 11 2:14 AM

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 11:53:45 AM PST

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Nov 20, 11 2:17 AM

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 11:56:02 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Nov 20, 11 2:49 AM

rhorho wrote:Yes, some of us like sparkles, me for one. What I didnt like was in the h.o.g. scenes was the part where you clicked on an object and the objects moved with out something behind it.

The Hidden Object scenes (HOS) are randomly generated per the Guide so, next time you play the game there might be something behind it you need to cross off your HOS list.

I like that feature!

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 2:51:01 AM PST

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Nov 20, 11 2:55 AM
gamergirl675 wrote:...clip...
BUT.... PLEASE LISTEN DEVS!!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole point of a CE is to immerse yourself in the game fully... what this means is that when I PAY YOU I WANT THE FULL GAME. That means EVERYTHING. I want to put the wallpaper on my computer while I play... look at art as I come across things... listen to music (if I like it) when I'm not playing etc etc etc.

In other words... by locking your "extras" until the game is finished they are WORTHLESS to me. I get it... I'm just one little player. But I bet there are others who feel the same and don't say so."

Sorry to clip your post gamergirl675, but, you said this so well, I wanted to repeat it verbatim! I feel this way, TOO! The extras are why I purchase CEs (6 so far this month) with the SG leading the list and I love voiceovers in games. I will probably purchase the SE with a pcc because I want to finish the game. However, like CasualGran I also think they went overboard with many of the scenes I've played so far. I played 43 minutes of the demo and had some tech problems when exiting that I will post in the tech thread. Sorry and Devs, but, as a CE this is a NO Buy for me. I am not saying it is a bad game, the graphics are clear and sharp and I don't mind sparkles. I am less enthused about the music but it is theme appropriate IMHO. I'm just saying it is not worth the CE price to me.
BK

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 20, 11 2:56 AM
Like others before me I too found that there were way too many sparkles, it is ridiculous having them in hidden object scenes when the object hidden behind them is not even on your list of things to get plus they are hidden object scenes so how can you call them that devs when you have the hiding places lighting up the whole scene and shouting look behind me .

The other thing I found particularly annoying in the outdoor hidden object scenes was the leaves constantly falling ... they were just too repetitious not to mention distracting and I ended up using hints in a bid to get away from them and out of the scene quicker. Because of these two annoyances (to me) I didn't have time to appreciate how artfully you had arranged and hidden the objects so instead of "stopping to smell the roses" I just "yanked them from the stems thorns and all" and got out of Dodge.

I also agree that the game would have been better with voiceovers and thus made it more CE worthy.

I had the music on really low and found it more acceptable that way as you just aware of it now and again.

OK that is my dislikes out of the way, now on to what I really liked:

The graphics are wonderful

The actual items in the hidden object scenes were not just the normal boring find the modern day looking crowbar, wrench, flashlight etc but were more in keeping with the date of the game

I did enjoy doing all the puzzles that I came across during the demo particularly the ball puzzle and I found the novelty of the SPOILER moving beetles made it more interesting . NB Please don't do it with spiders in the future

Even though I have been waiting for this sequel to come out I am not going to buy at this time due to not having a choice of difficlty. Please, please give us the choice of playing without sparkles because I would love to know the end of the story but I want to enjoy the journey along the way instead of just playing one constant game of "Simon Says Look Here" .

Cherb

ETA ... I have removed part of my post in case anyone who likes the sparkles found it offensive.

ETA2 ... typo

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 11:40:16 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Nov 20, 11 3:05 AM
sunnyglow wrote: The sparkles are everywhere! Very annoying. No voice overs. The hidden object screens I have played were good and the items were easy to find. Created by TE. Not familiar with them. Lacking the quality of a CE. Not impressed with this game at all. Music is also irritating. Developers really need to provide subtle music. It is like a funeral dirge. A no buy for me. Very disappointed at today's selection. The graphics are beautiful and the quality is very good. They should have incorporated different levels of difficulty, which they did not. The SE provided yesterday was of better quality than this game. Sorry! The sparkles take out the challenge in the game.

The music actually is a funeral Requiem partly written by Mozart but unfinished when he died, the Requiem Mass in D minor, "La Crimosa".

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Nov 20, 11 3:11 AM
I really liked this game but Im going to wait on the SE, I bought the new Azada CE on thursday and was so disappointed in the bonus chapter that it put me off buying CE so will wait on this one.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Nov 20, 11 3:40 AM
I, myself, don't mind the sparkles at all. It helps me and whatever help I can get , I'll take it! lol Call me a wimp, oh well.
I played the demo with a lot of extra time left over to spare. Now , you people with issue of too many sparkles, my personal issue is demos that end way too early from the 60 mins you are told you are have to play. Anyone else have the pet peeve other than the sparkle pet peeve?
OK, I'm just joking and being a little sarcastic. Back to the game, I really liked it unlike most others. The graphics were excellent. The music was too. I loved the ghosts that kept popping up. The gameplay was pretty straightforward. The **** scenes were good . ** SPOILER I liked the things that moved and sometimes you didn't even need what was under them - that was something new ! The mini games were okay and there was a fairly quick skip button if you needed it. I didn't find the issue of the slow hint button a problem, as someone had noted.
But it's a CE and too expensive for me. I will have to wait for the SE hopefully. I would rate this a 10 out of 10.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Nov 20, 11 3:44 AM
Jeepers what a way to start the day. It was early here so it was still dark out so the mood in the room fit the story line..ick.
If you like watching the painful dealth of a loved one first thing in the morning,,this one is for you. It's so full of ghouls and negativity that that part (which seems for me focused on the adolesent mind) really takes away from the bautiful rendering.
The artists did a wonderful job, blends of oils and etc so you're there..but the story line is so negative you don't want to be there. I really had to force myself to finish the demo and that 's with stopping and looking out the window a lot to see the sunrise magnificently.
This is not a game for the depressed or lonely. It is just too dark. It really is a shame because the plot line could have held itself up just fine without all the really ugly visuals..again, I thought II was watching a slashier movie..and I hate those.
I don't know what age group actually buys the games, I know that those in here are of a rather mature and thoughtful age, but the developers really wrote for the very young and very immature.
So, I like the game play, I love the artistry, the music fits and isn't painful..though it is mournful. I just don't like to feel such a depressing weight on my chest so early in the morning because of someone's else's view on life..or view on what we want. Poor artists who had to spend their talents on this. Least they didn't drop the ball.
And about the sparkles and Hiden Object sections.I was relieved to find them and look for stuff. It was a relief. No buy on the CE I dfn't think
kris

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Nov 20, 11 3:55 AM
kris_cross48 wrote:J, I know that those in here are of a rather mature and thoughtful age, but the developers really wrote for the very young and very immature.
So, I like the game play, I love the artistry, the music fits and isn't painful..though it is mournful.

That is exactly my impression too, you wrote it more precise and to the point

No offense to anyone that likes it but perhaps the dark and eerie theme is just taken a bit too far and to the ridiculous here- ok BFG want us to make this dark and eerie so lets have a monster jump out - every scene - okey dokey- shaking in my shoes here LOL
Developers use your own originality and not what BFG tell you to do!

I am the biggest Harry Potter fan around- the dementor thing here does not come off anything but cheesy.

It really does seem a game aimed at spooking children more than a thoughtful story for adults to enjoy-
I am guessing the ending will be the same as in all CE's- the monster is defeated but comes back for the bonus play LOL- come on- we want to buy games but not the same games with the same theme going downhill fast!

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Nov 20, 11 4:06 AM
Well then I must be very young (at 60) and very immature then cause I just LOVED the game, it was very well done, the graphics are beautiful and love the gameplay. The sparkles don't bother me one bit, I just ignore them anyways. As for being dark, etc. the game is called Haunted Manor: Queen of Death......self-explanatory to me! You are able to view the video so if you think a game is going to offend you or that you won't like it, why even bother to download it? Simple as that...I don't very often express annoyance at some of the comments on the forum but when someone infers that only the immature or very young would like a game, it bugs me. I know were are all entitled to our opinion but there is such a thing as diplomacy towards other fishies.....so, my rant is over ....I am definitely going to buy the CE, thanks Developers and BFG for bringing this game to the Pond. Happy Gaming all!

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Nov 20, 11 4:18 AM
Pickles, I understand and sorry to offend- I just am at a loss how to make game developers realise that some of us would fork out our money if the games were a bit more- not so much realistic but entertaining to some of us that are tired of the monsters etc..

I love many kids games and graphics - this just seemed silly to me personally but I own so many of these games- just tired of them and want something different.

Apologies for offending

Go to: