Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by JandySan on Nov 23, 11 3:26 AM
Not for me. Don't like the morphing objects at all. Much prefer a list of items to find.

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Madame_Fate on Nov 23, 11 3:26 AM
I love this game! After an hour and a half, nothing has disappointed. I actually like the "morphing object scenes" (MOS?). Nearly every game in the past 3-4 years has H O scenes, and frankly, I am tired of searching for the same old things...is it a baseball bat or the flying rodent?... I don't mind being a little patient and waiting for the objects to change--how is that any different from searching endlessly for that last H O item?

The graphics are amazing and the music and sound effects are perfect. EFR is definitely dark and creepy, which is just what I wanted. BFG made it very clear that this game is their darkest yet. If you don't like dark, eerie games then you probably won't enjoy EFR.

The mini-games I have done so far are interesting. They are refreshingly different from the games where every puzzle, when clicked on, says something like "there seems to be a piece missing...", and most of them are variations of the same old themes--connect the circuits/pipes, add the numbers up to 15 in all directions, etc. I hope the future puzzles will continue to be a little different and interesting, and I suspect they will be (can Charles make a dull puzzle?).

Kudos to the Big Fish team for continuing to break new ground and push the gaming experience further each year. With each new release, I have yet to say "big deal, another MCF game." What I do say is "keep 'em coming!"

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 3:30:26 AM PST

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Nov 23, 11 3:47 AM
does not run smoothly
cursor continually getting stuck
double images
hope this clears up later
i love MCF
it would be a shame to miss one!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 23, 11 3:48 AM
The game is different to other hog-games - you don`t have no longer a list with items for searching, we now have "morphing objects". Thats sometimes a little bit hard and tricky, but still funny. The graphic is the best I have ever seen in a hog-game. The storyline is also good. For me its a buy as the CE

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 8:55:26 AM PST

[Post New]by rainingreality3 on Nov 23, 11 3:51 AM
So far im not really sure what i think...ill review a little bit more later but at the moment im on the fence about it.

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Nov 23, 11 4:17 AM
45 min of play and I'm hooked. As expected the graphics are gorgeous. The game ran nice & smooth on our old and rather slow PC. If the morphing style has replaced the traditional hidden object style, then I will be very disappointed!! Much of the fun is in finding the objects, not sitting around waiting to see which object comes and goes. The strategy guide is simple and easy to follow.The sound effects are great too. Can't comment on the music, I always turn it off.
Sitting too close to the screen could cause some players to loose their pants.
Over all, it's thumbs up. If they make a Mac version I will buy it.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 7:50:33 AM PST

dogmama
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,998 Posts

[Post New]by dogmama on Nov 23, 11 4:18 AM
I bought the game without even trying it. Put it on two pcs as one is older. It crashed on that one but seems to be doing fine on my newer laptop.

I LOVE morphing items so am absolutely thrilled with the H0 scenes.

I was a little put off in the beginning as there is only one difficulty level. But I quickly found out there are not sparkles so I'm very happy.

Graphics are fabulous and have already had an occasion to jump .

I feel sorry for those who are trapped: "I can't move my legs." "I think I broke my arm." Yikes!

Off to play some more of this wonderful game.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 23, 11 4:25 AM
Loved the little Madame Fate in the car, there seems to be quite a lot of humour in this game, but 25 minutes of a demo (that's how far I went before it ended), is a bit short for a review.

Graphics are really good (I've seen better ones in other games, i.e Haunted Manor)
Story, just what we expected
Mini games OK

BUT

There are theses morphing objects, I wouldn't mind some here and there, but all the time is a bit too much for me. Tears started to run down my cheeks as I was desperatly pointing my nose, nearer and nearer the screen. I usually play hard mode and never use a hint, here I must have used at leat 7 of them. I hate using hints but when you're half blind trying to spot morphing objects that's the only way to save your sight.

This game could be the first MCF I won't buy, and I want to know the end of Ravenhearst Damned morphing objects

juleslorraine
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by juleslorraine on Nov 23, 11 4:25 AM
Well I had to buy it before trying it because it said my trial had expired. That's absurd as I was not one of the BF favs that were chosen to beta it. I would have contacted tech support to get that fixed but from previous issues with other games, I didn't want to wait a week + for a reply.

I'm not sure if I would have bought it for two reasons. The strategy guide is one of the worst I've seen. Being that this game comes from BFG and they are aware of numerous complaints from members with strategy guides being inadequate in other games, I would think they would have invested more time in their own game to ensure the strategy guide was up to par. The hint system only works in morphing scenes so you can't even rely on that for help with a certain area.

Next is the morphing objects. I hate it! I don't mind having to find morphing objects throughout the game as an achievement, but to replace H.O. scenes with this was a mistake IMO.

It was quite the build up for another MCF game that disappoints. It's not AS bad as 13 Skulls, but it's not far behind. Not to mention, the warning about the game being an intense psychological thriller is far fetched.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Nov 23, 11 4:45 AM
Well, unlike most others here I didn't care for this game. I just couldn't get into the morphing scenes. I know it's a new twist on **** scenes and it's new and different , but I found it difficult and time consuming. I also got lost there on that first right turn, so that took a lot of time and help from people on the board, thank you my friends. The graphics and music were good like most of this developer's games , but it just wasn't "my cup of tea". lol I would rate it a 6 out of 10.

msdarann
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by msdarann on Nov 23, 11 4:45 AM
I am THRILLED to see another Ravenhearst game! I love them, they are the perfect challenge and was the first game I ever played a few years ago! Won't even bother with the sample as I just know I'll love this from beginning till end

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Nov 23, 11 4:49 AM
Madame_Fate wrote:I love this game! After an hour and a half, nothing has disappointed. I actually like the "morphing object scenes" (MOS?). Nearly every game in the past 3-4 years has H O scenes, and frankly, I am tired of searching for the same old things...is it a baseball bat or the flying rodent?... I don't mind being a little patient and waiting for the objects to change--how is that any different from searching endlessly for that last H O item?

The graphics are amazing and the music and sound effects are perfect. EFR is definitely dark and creepy, which is just what I wanted. BFG made it very clear that this game is their darkest yet. If you don't like dark, eerie games then you probably won't enjoy EFR.

The mini-games I have done so far are interesting. They are refreshingly different from the games where every puzzle, when clicked on, says something like "there seems to be a piece missing...", and most of them are variations of the same old themes--connect the circuits/pipes, add the numbers up to 15 in all directions, etc. I hope the future puzzles will continue to be a little different and interesting, and I suspect they will be (can Charles make a dull puzzle?).

Kudos to the Big Fish team for continuing to break new ground and push the gaming experience further each year. With each new release, I have yet to say "big deal, another MCF game." What I do say is "keep 'em coming!"

You took the words right out of my mouth!!

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Nov 23, 11 5:32 AM
OK this is my all time favorite spooky game from every game I have played thus far. The haunting voices of the ghosts warning you, the morphing objects, I learned to hate hidden objects after 7 yrs it got boring. The fantastic graphics, no problem with downloading the game. I am so grateful at last at CE that appears to be worth the money in a long game. Every step of the way I kept telling myself you know if this were really life I would never have gone to this place and certainly never returned to it! I LOVE the fast refill in hints. In my opinion no game has got me more spooked than this game, playing it alone in the dark, and I mean alone in the house with not even a pet to keep you company, well...lets put it this way I wouldn't do it.

I am playing it in the afternoon and I have to say never have I enjoyed any game as much as this one. So thats my review as I just bought it and can't wait to devote this day before Thanksgiving in America, to just chilling and taking some "me" time out and enjoy this spooky game. Thanks BFG in my opinion this is better than Dire and I never thought anything could beat that. The morphing objects are awesome the way you have done it game developers. When the morphing objects are found you never know what will fall or open to give you an object the ghost is pointing you towards. I never finished the last Return to Ravenhurst I got bored with hidden object screens, but this game I will not get bored with. I haven't seen any puzzles yet, I just hope they are not too hard. Well that is my opinion and I am sticking with it. The demo was A Plus all the way!

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by cme550 on Nov 23, 11 5:33 AM
Wow, just wow. I'm not finished the game, but I can tell you that this game is AMAZING! It really is a psychological thriller! It has the feeling of watching a real creepy movie, which is just what I love!

The hidden object scenes are replaced with morphing objects. This is definitely not for everyone. Some people don't like this idea. I think it's a nice new twist to the game, but I wouldn't want all games to be this way. I do miss the actual hidden objects.
The hint button charges very quickly. The strategy guide is different as well. It just shows pictures of what to do instead of text. I didn't like it at first, but it's really not that bad.

This game is definitely worth the price of the CE, especially if you are interested in the Ravenhearst games.

[Post New]by BluesCluesMom on Nov 23, 11 5:49 AM
Been a long time player of BG games, but this is my first review in the forums!

I've played all the Ravenhearst/Mystery Case Files games. I must say, I adore the newest family member!

I know there have been a lot of nay sayers, but lets stop for a moment. Sure, its a hard game. But who isn't up to a challenge this holiday weekend? I know I could use a break from the turkey and endless family gossip. I've also gotten really tired/bored of the recent release of games with sparkles, lists, storyline that don't go anywhere, or graphics that were more of an after thought. Mystery Case Files EFR to the rescue!! ERF is awesome. A wonder mix of graphics and art. Honestly, I was cheering when I discovered we were returning to Ravenheart! And for that dark side of me, I am enjoying the storyline that EFR brings to the table.

Granted, I won't be playing with the kids in the room. Many topics in the MCF series are adult or teen topics. EFR is no exception.

The game downloaded just fine. I remember the days of 800 modems, so me, for large files, I go make a pot of coffee. See, coffee solves all woes. The game ran smoothly. No pausing.

I'm in no way finished with this game. But from what I've seen so far, I know its going to be a great turkey holiday!

Thank for reading/putting up with my first review! I'll do my best not to go crazy with the emotes next time.

Lisa

bezzer
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by bezzer on Nov 23, 11 5:55 AM
What a shame! I have bought all the Mystery Case File games so far but this is definitely a no no for me. Nothing but morphing objects, no HOS. Sorry but it's just not good enough for me to purchase even if it was just 1 credit. Very very disppointing!

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Nov 23, 11 6:00 AM
I love this game! After an hour and a half, nothing has disappointed. I actually like the "morphing object scenes" (MOS?). Nearly every game in the past 3-4 years has H O scenes, and frankly, I am tired of searching for the same old things...is it a baseball bat or the flying rodent?... I don't mind being a little patient and waiting for the objects to change--how is that any different from searching endlessly for that last H O item?

[Post New]by NorthernExpress on Nov 23, 11 6:19 AM
While the full version is downloading I figured I would post a review, obviously based on the trial.

So far I love it. It's got a great eerie atmosphere and there have already been a few moments that made the hairs on my neck stand up. So far so good.

The graphics and textures are stunning and the music adds to the overall creep factor.

I like the way the strategy guide is set up, when you load it in a certain area it seems give you the tips for that area rather than having to page through to find what you want.

I love the fact that there is little to no hand holding. No sparklies at all, you have to find areas of interest yourself. It definitely makes you think.

The morphing scenes are interesting. A little tedious perhaps, but not terribly difficult. I do miss true HOS. Given that the MCF games were sort of the pioneer of the HOG genre, it's disappointing that there haven't been any yet (in the demo anyway) and from reading other comments there don't seem to be any later on either. That aspect I do miss.

What I was really impressed by, having played the previous Ravenheart games, is the way they carried over the previous locations - several times already I've noticed areas I remember well from the old games and it's neat to see how they've evolved in this one.

And now my download is nearly complete, so I'm going back to investigate some more!!

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Nov 23, 11 6:21 AM
I played the whole demo which for me was a lousy 30 minutes....and I'm not a fast player by any means.

The graphics are good, game works fine, have windows 7.

Have to agree with some of the other comments here about morphing objects. A couple of them in the game are fine (most I overlook anyway) but every "HOG scene"...?!?!?! Really???????
I don't have the patience to sit here and by chance look at the right part of the screen to find all of them. And some of them are rather small. Turned into a wild click fest for me after a bit. Also, I had to click on some of them more than once, wouldn't count the first time around.....

SG.....won't even go there......looks to me like they got plain lazy not adding ANY text at all.

And as someone mentioned before.....sometimes not very logical....a can opener to move a rock????

The game is not particularly spooky to me. Still waiting for that "intense psychological thriller" part.

I think it can't touch RTR and Dire Grove by a long shot.

In the end I'm enough of a sucker to buy it anyway.....go figure.......

brillke
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by brillke on Nov 23, 11 6:25 AM
Dear BFG,

I think I love you. My family will hate you for taking me away, but I'm yours!

Sincerely, brillke

This game is amazing! Love, Love, Love the morphing HOG. The story is uber-creepy. Graphics are top-notch. The game is just hard enough for to cause furrowed brow but no swearing(by me)...yet.

BFG, you did it again! Thank you for another great MCF game.

Go to: