Agent_99
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

Re:Comments for Mystery Case Files: Escape From Ravenhearst CE

[Post New]by Agent_99 on Nov 23, 11 1:25 AM
Wow Wolfen! 6 minutes!

I just started the download and wandered through the forums while waiting. I expected about 15 ( I was right). You must have hit the sweet spot! - I mean it - sometimes this sort of thing sounds sarcastic but I am sincere. Cheers

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 23, 11 1:28 AM
Tossing my hat in the "staring mindlessly for morphing objects isn't so much fun" ring - and that is the crux of the game. Just start to feel like I'm hallucinating after a bit & everything looks like it morphs. Feels far less interactive than H0 scenes. True the story is the driving force of this - and what we've been frothing for to a degree - but the game play feels inteminably draggy as I stare and stare. I never in a billion years thought I'd be dissapointed with any aspect of this game - but I am. Hopefully puzzles and adventure will be the bulk of it...will have to pay & play on to see. Also will say I sooooo miss the "snarky" option for wrong action dialogue - that was so awesome in DG. I guess they thought we had so much fun looking for morphing objects as a bonus - it might work as a theme - it just isn't...honestly it's making me feel powerless and kinda dumb as I don't have even a clue as to what I'm looking for.

Will do as asked in review thread and play past demo before making a final edict though

Agent_99
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Agent_99 on Nov 23, 11 1:29 AM
p.s. I love morphing objects, so no complaints here!

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Nov 23, 11 1:30 AM
Valdy wrote:My question is: Do you have to find all the morphing objects? Are they essential to the outcome of the game, or are they just an extra?

Yes you have, it's instead HOG screens, and at the end you get an object.

WPat651044
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by WPat651044 on Nov 23, 11 1:37 AM
I wouldn't miss buying this. I have every game for Mystery Case Files. I just wish they came out more often. So far I have played for 30 min. I don't care much for morphing items but I can get past that.
Great graphics, and its easy to navigate through the scenes.

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Nov 23, 11 1:39 AM
I have to agree with many of the other negative comments about the morphing objects.

I love morphing objects as an extra feature but, if they are replacing the H0 scenes, I am not sure that I am going to enjoy this game very much, either.

It isn't fun for me to stare at every pixel of the screen looking for any movement, when I am already tired of staring at the scene at that level of detail.

It's a shame really because the scenes are great as a whole but, it has me concentrating on the minors, so to speak. I much prefer to absorb the atmosphere as a bigger picture, while recognizing items and picking the important ones out of it.

For me, this is a case where a little goes a long way but, a lot is just too much.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Nov 23, 11 1:39 AM
Lol, Cherb! We have waited so long for this game and you managed to schedule housework for today! The real topper is that you have to clean for the cleaners! I understand though. I'd do the same.

I bought the game outright without trying the Demo because I have waited so long. It will be a surprise if i like it as I have not liked the last two MCFs. I bought because I want to end this series but the blurb seems to hint that this is not the end. maybe the end for me though.

Once again I was irritated that the game was taking so long to DL and install. I was doing something else and had to stop to check why the DL was taking so long. That's when I saw the DirectX permission window.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 23, 11 1:39 AM
Ditto everyone else on the morphing objects. They are my FAVORITE part of games... when I'm searching for them as the extra thing to find. As a whole hog scene not so much. I think this game may kill my love of morphing objects once and for all.

Still bought it of course...

tatsu1952
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by tatsu1952 on Nov 23, 11 1:50 AM
I've really been looking forward to this game - and for the most part it doesn't disappoint. My only reservation is the morphing objects instead of **** scenes. I played the demo (with 14 minutes to spare) and seemed to spend most of that time just staring at the screen, waiting for things to change.

Don't know if I can put up with it for the whole game, so am going to hold off on buying

I think the morphing issue is going to divide us fishies into two camps - those that like it and those who don't.

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on Nov 23, 11 1:57 AM
Good Morning Everyone.

Terrible storm here in Maryland, can't sleep

Just wanted to state a few facts about the Morphing Object Scenes (MOS).

You only visit each MOS once; at the end of that you will be prompted to pick up on inventory items. Also, be on the lookout for other ways to interact with that scene.

ETA: If you click randomly on the screen too many times, a previously found morphing object will return to the scene and must be removed twice. (Forgot about this feature until Imby mentioned it ).

In my opinion there are very few MOS throughout the whole game. Maybe 3 to 6 per chapter, if memory serves me well.

Be on the lookout for morphing objects in other areas. Will not post spoilers here, will let you find on your own.

There are 1 or 2 regular Hidden Object Scenes (HOS) in the game (I believe) and they are only visited once as well.

I thought the MOS instead of HOS was a fresh twist. I liked it because as far as I can remember it has never been done before.

Enjoy the game everyone!

MargieB

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 2:19:56 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Nov 23, 11 2:00 AM
Jeez, I have square eyes for looking morphing things. Terrible! My eyes hurts.
I did't see any puzzles. And I had never looks so much in the SG.
I don't know if I buy this game.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Nov 23, 11 2:08 AM
It is a twist, and if it were included, rather than instead of hog scenes, it would be ok. But I have just played another hour and had to take a break...it does get tedious and boring just staring at the screen, waiting for a minute change in the last four objects. I think they blew it on this one. But will play some more and see how the rest of the game goes.

MoDreams
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,179 Posts

[Post New]by MoDreams on Nov 23, 11 2:10 AM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:Download of full game took 6 minutes.

I just finished downloading -- took me 2 full hours. But I don't think that is terrible for my wireless network especially for a file that large. I am on a rural wireless network using towers etc.

Happy sleuthing detectives!!

step54
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by step54 on Nov 23, 11 2:15 AM
morphing has put me off!

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on Nov 23, 11 2:17 AM
Thanks so much for the further details MargieB.
I appreciate it very much.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Nov 23, 11 2:17 AM
I'm disappointed. Even though my computer exceeds their "minimum" requirements I'm having technical problems. I've posted twice in the tech thread about them.

And I'm joining those who don't want to spend an entire game staring at a screen waiting for something to change. I enjoy some morphing objects, but an entire game built on them is just a headache waiting to happen. I think they overdid the MO and perhaps overestimated their popularity as a backbone, rather than an addition, to a game.

I've given up on the game for now because the tech difficulties are just too frustrating.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 23, 11 2:19 AM
Wow... now this is different. I quite like the MOS, but because I am not used to them, I would have liked to play half and half MOS (morphing object scenes) and HOS (hidden object scenes). But no big deal.

Well... there certainly has been put a lot of work into this game. And I have never needed to use the SG (strategy guide) before, but have been looking at it almost non-stop. LOL

Download of the game was fast, and I have come across no problems in the trial version.

And, astoundingly, the game filled the whole of my laptop widescreen monitor.
But unlike Govegrl, who mentioned somewhere here that she barely saw the SG, the screen on my laptop fills out just perfectly, with all the buttons and SG clearly visible.
I will definitely be purchasing this game.

I have one question though: In the journal, there are 2 tabs. One says: 0 of 15 and the other says: 1 of 16 - or vice versa. What is meant by those numbers?

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Nov 23, 11 2:19 AM
chTex wrote:The morphing objects are no fun to find - it just means staring at the screen, hoping to see something blink. 'Fraid this style of play is not for me and I really wanted to play this game.

I totally agree. Plus I had to keep looking at the strategy guide which isn't all that easy to follow. Even after looking at the SG, I nearly couldn't figure out what to do at the rock scene.

So: (1) no fun sitting and either waiting for objects to morph, or using the hint button to find each one. (2) no fun having to look at the SG before every move.

I'm disappointed. I had hoped to be psychologically disturbed. LOL. Oh, well.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 2:20:07 AM PST

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on Nov 23, 11 2:21 AM
AvgSpock wrote:Thanks so much for the further details MargieB.
I appreciate it very much.

You're welcome

Enjoy the game!

MargieB

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on Nov 23, 11 2:23 AM
Valdy wrote:Wow... now this is different. I quite like the MOS, but because I am not used to them, I would have liked to play half and half MOS (morphing object scenes) and HOS (hidden object scenes). But no big deal.

Well... there certainly has been put a lot of work into this game. And I have never needed to use the SG (strategy guide) before, but have been looking at it almost non-stop. LOL

Download of the game was fast, and I have come across no problems in the trial version.

And, astoundingly, the game filled the whole of my laptop widescreen monitor.
But unlike Govegrl, who mentioned somewhere here that she barely saw the SG, the screen on my laptop fills out just perfectly, with all the buttons and SG clearly visible.
I will definitely be purchasing this game.

I have one question though: In the journal, there are 2 tabs. One says: 0 of 15 and the other says: 1 of 16 - or vice versa. What is meant by those numbers?

The answer to your question is in my post above. Don't want to spoil it for anyone You can PM me if you need further details.

MargieB

Go to: