cwy2009
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

Re:Intense Psychological Thriller

[Post New]by cwy2009 on Nov 25, 11 8:27 AM
Is there an ESRB rating for this game? E for everyone, T for teens, M for mature, etc.?

[Post New]by bouncyhouse on Nov 25, 11 8:28 AM
I think I'd have to agree with underwriter. It was a good game, but I found it bothersome for the reasons already mentioned. Still, it was a good game and I was more or less ok with everything but his childhood home.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 25, 11 1:22 PM
Like NorthernExpress I watch (endlessly lol) CSI, Criminal Minds etc...also have played every creepy/scary game BFG has to offer...and yet...

The thing I found myself saying - oh yes outloud - over and over last nite was "Oh...this is so wrong!"

I think "psychological" is the key - no - for gore it can't match the things we're subjected to (or subject ourselves to lol) daily - but it gets in your head! That's the meaning of a "psychological thriller" vs. "horror" or "mystery"...it's why Psycho scares the beejebers out of you and yet has almost no "gory" visuals...

So does it "scare" you? Maybe not but - does it give you a "big ole case of the willies" oh...my...yes! BFG sure got what they aimed for and warn of with this one!

scpotamus
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by scpotamus on Nov 25, 11 2:34 PM
The warning is definitely warranted. Very disturbing to me in certain areas. Not only because I have a little bit of a freak about mannequins, but combined with the sounds....yowza. Now, I know a lot of ppl out there don't turn the sound on...well, on the one hand I definitely think you should have the sound on to get the full experience of this....experience ("game" is not quite enough) however, be warned, some of the sounds plus the scenes can really get under your skin and make it crawl!!! And for those who have only tried the demo....oh boy, you ain't seen nothin' yet!
I am an expert casual adventure/hog/hopa player, and I love spooky, eerie, psychological freaky stuff (my favorite author is Stephen King) and I have to say that 1) this is a very challenging game (I almost never have to go to the strategy guide in most casual games, but this one does not hold your hand or lead you, you really have to remember everything you see and write down anything that seems like it might have some meaning, and I mean anything)and I find myself checking the SG quite a bit.. and 2) and this may be a SPOILER.......if you have problems with the sights and sounds of abuse, or just awfulness, this might not be for you. It has me grimacing at times and thinking " oh please don't let me have to go back into THAT room!"
All in all though.....Unbelievably excellently done!
It is picking the scab off of Return to Ravenhearst and seeing what is really in that festering wound. Bravo BFG!

GameLvr30
Stingray
Stingray
4,785 Posts

[Post New]by GameLvr30 on Nov 25, 11 3:00 PM
I was never scared (like run and hide) while I was playing but it was absolutely a CREEPY game.

The situations we’re put in, the tasks we have to perform (the jar of the mother’s nose hair, nails and pimple pus ), Charles talking to us from headless dolls, and the whole storyline were just some of the reasons I felt this way.

I’m not saying you should have been averting your eyes during the game, but if you didn’t get weirded out at least once then I worry for your psychological health as much as the game designers.

Edited on 11/25/2011 at 3:01:16 PM PST

[Post New]by HarllieQuinn on Nov 26, 11 8:12 PM
After reading through some of the replies, I had to put my two cents in. Intense psychological thriller, yes. Gore or downright scary, no. I have to say the hospital was psychologically intense, as it played on your fears of hospitals and also delved into the sanctity of pregancy and motherhood. The childhood home was also intense as in the background you could hear a child being beaten repeatedly and being called "stupid". So, if you are all immune to this, then the world is far worse than I fear.

[Post New]by ScillyGirl5 on Nov 27, 11 4:56 AM
HarllieQuinn wrote:After reading through some of the replies, I had to put my two cents in. Intense psychological thriller, yes. Gore or downright scary, no. I have to say the hospital was psychologically intense, as it played on your fears of hospitals and also delved into the sanctity of pregancy and motherhood. The childhood home was also intense as in the background you could hear a child being beaten repeatedly and being called "stupid". So, if you are all immune to this, then the world is far worse than I fear.

You hit the nail on the head! It doesn't emphasize the gore,or what generally would be considred scary, but instead it focuses on fear itself,and it chills to the bone. I guess what I am trying to say is,that instead of showing something that will make us feel scared,they focus on already existing fears,and how they affect us. We don't need to observe a person being beaten,for us to know the fear produced by it ~and,my oh my,they sure managed to sneak in a lot of 'instant angst'.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Nov 27, 11 7:58 AM
When I play this game I don’t see “an intense psychological thriller that may reveal deep-seated fears.” I didn’t experience any fear when playing the game. Charles Dalimar is creepy but not fear inducing, at least not for the game player. I’m sure he is meant to be feared by the people/spirits within the game. I have luckily had a pretty normal life with no child abuse or mental hospital experience so I didn’t have any resurfacing deep-seated fears as I played.

I think the BFG warning is just off base. Perhaps the BFG statement should have warned that the game experience would contain sights and sounds that are revolting, sickening and vulgar.

If you enjoy watching puss come out of sores, blood and bile squirting into the air, and reenactments of torture, then come on in and play. If you enjoy listening to screams of pain, cries of abused children, cruel language, and demented moans, this game is right up your alley.

I think a disclaimer such as this would have been more accurate and would have given game players the real information they need to make a decision about the game.

For me the game isn’t a thriller, it is demented. To me the game isn’t scary, it is disgusting. I think it isn’t for people with a weak stomach, not a faint heart.

This is just my opinion. I don't know how other people will feel but I wish the warning had been more descriptive of the sickening and gross aspects of the game in the warning.

Edited on 11/28/2011 at 5:03:01 AM PST

Fargosis16
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by Fargosis16 on Nov 27, 11 5:08 PM
the game made me VERY nervous in act 2, i was crying with act 3, act 4, yes can scare people/make VERY VERY nervous/Anxious
act 5 Will rape your mind, and scare you of it happening in real life to you
act 6 will freak you out./maybe scare easily scared people

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Nov 27, 11 6:10 PM
I'm not thru the whole game yet, barely halfway. But I do have to agree that it has been disturbing. Taking care of Momma was the grossest thing I've done in a game! But as much as it disgusted me, I am loving every minute of it!! There are parts where I get stuck, and have to use the strategy guide, but the challenge is great!

apples16951
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by apples16951 on Nov 28, 11 2:57 AM
I've read all the comments here with interest. I had a "normal" childhood, no abuse, no mental illness or serious trauma, and I am deeply disturbed by this game. I can only play for about an hour at a time, and then I have to get back to the sanctity of reality. I have sympathy for the villian, Charles, but he also makes my hair stand on end with his intense anger and twisted sense of revenge. I think BFG was accurate in describing it as they did. I wouldn't even want a teenager playing this game.

BluesyBlue
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by BluesyBlue on Nov 28, 11 3:14 AM
Let's see what Mr Wikipedia actually says about
Psychological thriller:

"Psychological thriller is a specific sub-genre of the broad ranged thriller with heavy focus on characters. However, it often incorporates elements from the mystery and drama genre, along with the typical traits of the thriller genre. In addition to drama and mystery, Many psychological thrillers contain elements of, and often overlap with, the horror genre, particularly psychological horror."

To me, it seems to be very fitting for the game. Spot on I would say!

In the end, it's all about the person, how one can take in these sorta things.
At least I can say one thing, many times there has been attempts to make these sorta games, but they aren't convincing enough on some levels and just end up plain funny.
You can see that BFG really achieved in making the kind of game and to give the kind of emotions that they wanted. Like it or not. They actually made a working psychological thriller.

Fargosis16
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by Fargosis16 on Nov 11, 12 9:24 AM
calsmom2001 wrote:
cstdenis wrote:I think chapter 2 is VERY disturbing. It's not scary so much as it is disturbing.
Finding it hard to get through this chapter with all the background noise/voices.
LOVE the puzzles though.

Totally agree cstdenis. I ended up having to turn the sound down, just couldn't take the crying, hitting, and horrible comments. I know that was the point, to show us Charles' awful childhood, but it was hard to take. As you said, disturbing.

Your thinking of chapter 3,
Chapter 2 is the hospital
Chapter 1 is the boring nothing in the beginning

Fargosis16
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by Fargosis16 on Nov 11, 12 9:36 AM
underwriter wrote:I've said this in another post, but I think it bears repeating. My husband was abused as a child and he can't even watch Amahl and the Night Visitors (though he loves opera generally and it contains more sex and violence than TV). I see from the comments other people who have been abused don't necessarily feel this way, but some do. If you were not abused, give thanks, but don't think you know what child abuse in entertainment will do to someone who was.

I understand where your coming from, no I was not abused as a child but I was labeled as
'Clinically insane' when I was very young and was put on several theorpies, medication, treatment, and once a week I has to see a psycologist and once every two weeks I would have to be checked out by Psychiatrist and doctors. Many nights I cried my self to sleep and then got treatment with serious depression when I was only 8 after a failed suicide attempt
This all stopped when I was about 11, well it was less intense. Then.....the church got involved. My little sister became a member of the church (we were not religious but her best friends mom would let her tag along to Sunday school) somehow the church found out about my previous issues and tried to perform an exorcism on me. My parents called the cops on them. So act 4 the asylum definitely took me back to that place as a child (I'm totally fine now, I have everything under control I'm just somewhat antisocial. When you don't have compassion for other people not being a loner. No two different things)

Psycho999
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Psycho999 on Nov 24, 12 3:10 PM
Well I just finished the Standard Edition, the storyline was great, and I loved the way that we are forced to look at why Charles ended up the way he did. I am a big fan of MCF and this one was overall value for money- HOWEVER: and this is a big one for me, I am not a prude, I love a psychological thriller and a scare, I did think the inclusion of real life photos of dead victorian children in the security guards hut to the mental asylum was in very poor taste, and wholly unnecessary for the tone of the game, yes we were warned about an intense psychological thriller, but dead children from real life is something else, and if someone played this who had lost children I imagine that it would be pretty traumatic. I largely enjoyed the game and loved the continuation of the ravenhearst storyline but I have to admit I was rather disturbed that BFG thought it was ok to just include these pics without a second thought. Yes these kids and their ancestors will be long gone so no consent can be sought but it's surely about respect for the dead and what is tasteful and decent. I have minor gripes about the morphing objects being a miss and the fact that there was a diary that was totally unhelpful in keeping codes and numbers and the puzzles were totally obscure in places, but my major issue is with the pictures of the dead children, this is off the scale unacceptable and ruined the game for me.

[Post New]by humptylock on Dec 22, 12 4:46 AM
Psycho999 wrote:Well I just finished the Standard Edition, the storyline was great, and I loved the way that we are forced to look at why Charles ended up the way he did. I am a big fan of MCF and this one was overall value for money- HOWEVER: and this is a big one for me, I am not a prude, I love a psychological thriller and a scare, I did think the inclusion of real life photos of dead victorian children in the security guards hut to the mental asylum was in very poor taste, and wholly unnecessary for the tone of the game, yes we were warned about an intense psychological thriller, but dead children from real life is something else, and if someone played this who had lost children I imagine that it would be pretty traumatic. I largely enjoyed the game and loved the continuation of the ravenhearst storyline but I have to admit I was rather disturbed that BFG thought it was ok to just include these pics without a second thought. Yes these kids and their ancestors will be long gone so no consent can be sought but it's surely about respect for the dead and what is tasteful and decent. I have minor gripes about the morphing objects being a miss and the fact that there was a diary that was totally unhelpful in keeping codes and numbers and the puzzles were totally obscure in places, but my major issue is with the pictures of the dead children, this is off the scale unacceptable and ruined the game for me.

I can completely understand where you are coming from here. I am not up to this part of the game as yet but I agree that this could be very traumatising for someone if it reminded them of a bad situation/event in their lives. Having a strange fear of water in video games myself, and then seeing those little girls' faces inside the water pop up suddenly freaked me out a lot, I thought I was going to have a heart attack! LOL sometimes things can just be too real...
-HL- Tegan

Go to: