vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by vingilot on Nov 25, 11 7:24 AM
Bootcamp comes preinstalled on your Mac - no need to download it.

I've thought about it, but I just don't want Windows anything on my Mac. I don't want my Mac susceptible to viruses - to me, that would completely destroy the reason for getting a Mac in the first place.

[Post New]by Fisherman253 on Nov 25, 11 8:53 AM
I was really mad when I found out that it was only for PC. I NEED THIS GAME.

hrslvr_paints
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,224 Posts

[Post New]by hrslvr_paints on Nov 25, 11 9:34 AM
Vingi, not to mention that Apple iWork will export all your documents, presentations, spreadsheets, etc, to Microsoft Office format, PDF, RTF, and now e-something or other. And it will open any Microsoft Office format document in Apple iWork...

With the great compatibility, why do you need Office if you're on a Mac?

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Nov 25, 11 10:16 AM
hrslvr_paints wrote:
With the great compatibility, why do you need Office if you're on a Mac?

Exactly! You don't need it. They upgraded us at work to Office 2008 about a year ago and I hate it. With each "improvement" Microsoft makes, it just get more and more complicated to use.

Plus, having Office again makes you vulnerable to viruses.

PillMom
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by PillMom on Nov 25, 11 11:33 AM
Well, I have a brand-spanking new pc with excellent memory and top-of-the-line graphics card, bought as a family computer/kids computer. I am the administrator and have my son set up as a separate (and somewhat curtailed ) user. I bought a nicer one so it would last long enough for him to eventually get his own and so I had a place for my pc software, full adobe acrobat and creative suite, since I don't want to pay again for those. They are pricey!

Anyway, it is sooooo tempting to go ahead and get the pc version of EfR, I want it so badly! I will wait, though, since I know I will enjoy it more on my Mac, and this is MY computer. I do everything on it now, with the exception of work-related files I need acrobat or photoshop for.

As others have mentioned, I hope BF gives us updates as we go and I hope the rumblings are correct that we may have it soon (or is that sooooooon?).

gwenofala
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by gwenofala on Nov 25, 11 8:04 PM
swedane wrote:gwenofala, I sympathize with you, I been known to do the same! BF came to my rescue and exchanged it to a Mac version.

Played MCF demo on our old PC, and must admit, I didn't like the morphing scenes at all. If it was an occasional few MO's it would be fine, but all hog scenes are morphing object scenes. Players also gets penalizes if they click around too much, in the form of added morphing objects. As an adult and paying consumer, I have severe reactions when treated as a child! Will think twice before buying it for the Mac.

Thanks Swedane I appreciate the sympathy ! I just downloaded the trial version, I always try before I buy, the morphing sounds like it will take some getting used to.. tell me are there achievement awards ? I just want to try it my lap top pc won't handle it I know.. barely enough space on it now. and I just like playing on this big screen . I wish they would hurry !

gwenofala
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by gwenofala on Nov 25, 11 8:14 PM
vingilot wrote:Bootcamp comes preinstalled on your Mac - no need to download it.

I've thought about it, but I just don't want Windows anything on my Mac. I don't want my Mac susceptible to viruses - to me, that would completely destroy the reason for getting a Mac in the first place.

Exactly... thats what I heard also.. I love my Mac just the way it is and like you I don't want to make it vulnerable to viruses . I know it will take time for them to develop EFR for us Mac users but I am so ready to play it !

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Nov 25, 11 11:38 PM
Going to keep my Mac exactly as it is a Mac !! Will wait patiently for MCF Escape,I
I know it will be worth the wait and any glitches will be sorted...
In the meantime having lots of fun replaying Dire Grove on the IPad !!!
Off this morning to new Mac store opened in my small northern England town !!!!! to drool over the latest MacAir !!!!!

LaComtesse
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by LaComtesse on Nov 26, 11 4:50 PM
Sad to say, but true, what I wrote on November 8th. I was right to be worried about the MAC release of Escape From Ravenhearst. Well, it will be even more exciting when it does arrive n'est-ce pas?

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Nov 26, 11 10:52 PM
Just thought I'd swim by to say, I am still waiting....trying to be patient...but it is so very hard!

avsutton
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by avsutton on Nov 26, 11 11:26 PM
vingilot wrote:Bootcamp comes preinstalled on your Mac - no need to download it.

Yeah, it came pre-installed on my MacBook Pro, but not on my much older MacBook, which is the one I'd use for a dual boot. Like you, I don't want to take the chance on screwing up my MBPro, it's too sweet a piece of equipment.

Plus.... I loathe Windows. I was able to tolerate Windows 95, and barely tolerate Windows XP - but Windows 7 is..... well, it's a word I won't use here. As for Office, the only piece of it I really like is Access, and now you have to buy that separately. I think Bill Gates has had enough of my money over the years.

Since I discovered OpenOffice, though, I'm happy all over again.

So at the moment, I'm in Wait Mode. If I knew it would take a year to get MCFEscape, then I'd try BootCamp on my older Mac, but for now, I can be patient.

twotrickponies
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by twotrickponies on Nov 27, 11 1:38 AM

i just signed on for the 30 day free trial of vmware's fusion... the difference between bootcamp and vmware is that you can erase vmware's windows - for bootcamp, it sets a partition on the drive that can only go away by reformatting the drive.

now, i need to find my xp home - i've a sick feeling that it is not sp2 - and i don't think i can upgrade the software via fusion.

also, i am SOOOOOO bummed! i bought an extra credit JUST to buy the pc version to get the badge and today discovered that the game isn't in my purchase history! i have no idea why it didn't record - and now, i have an extra credit.... grrrrrrrrr..... and no stinkin' badge, either!!!

twotrickponies
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by twotrickponies on Nov 27, 11 1:45 AM
avsutton wrote:One thing I want to point out is that with a game as big as EFR, getting this for the Mac may not be as simple as creating a MacWrapper and slapping it "around" the PC game.

Then again...... if you've got a big enough Mac, and most of them are, just download Boot Camp, install it on your Mac along with some legal and appropriate version of Windows, then run a dual boot system. Then you can play both kinds of games, and there are plenty of PC games which never have made it to the Mac which I still want. So this is the route I'll probably be using, and I'll keep my PC lappie just for the Microsoft Office stuff as I'm too cheap to buy a full copy for the Mac and it came with the PC lappie.

So anyway, I'd counsel just a bit of patience for us Mac users which is funny for me to say as I'm chewing my fingernails down to nubs over EFR.

spent an hour at the apple store last nite to talk about bootcamp and other alternatives. vmware fusion has a free 30 day trial to let you run windows on your mac. the "genius bar" explained that bootcamp required a partitioned secion of your drive to be assigned to windows (unusable for mac and won't go away unless you reformat your drive) - but vmware sets up a virtual machine without the partitioning. you DO have to have the physical software and product code key to download windows - and you need either xp home, service pk 2 or vista. i think windows 7 also works.

i wanted to try it out to see how my other fishy games worked - you have to have snow leopard (10.6+ to run vmware) and support of directx 10? on the mac is what i remember. when i find my windows software, i'll let you know - either by a loud WAAAAAIIIIILLLLLLLLing sound (xp home w/out service pk2) or a very loud HALLELUJAH!!!!!

[Post New]by MysteryCaseBob on Nov 27, 11 6:32 AM
Macs may have been round for years, all your friends may have them and the Apple stores may appear busy but the simple fact it that you - as a Mac user - are in a minority, and a small one at that. I recall the worldwide OS market share is about 80% Windows and less than 10% for Mac, and this shows no sign of changing anytime soon.

Do you really expect a company - especially in the current economic climate - to expend twice the amount of resources in co-releasing a Mac native version of the game, given that it will probably return a fraction of the revenue that the PC version will generate? Or even to hold off releasing the PC version and losing revenue whilst the Mac version is made?

This is not Mac-bashing, but if you want to be treated like a PC user, then you're going to have to get a PC.

GRANDMANONNI wrote:
Not getting the game isn't even the real issue, it's only a symptom of the bigger issue. MACs have been around a long time, we had our first one in 1995, the thing was huge, it took up the entire desk! lol Anyway the problem of products not being released for MAC in a timely manner should have been taken care of a long time ago.

One of the big rules of customer service it to provide the same quality of service to all customers. That is not happening and THAT is what we, as consumers, are fed up with. Most people I know have MACs as their personal computer. When I go to the Mall, the Apple Store is jam packed with people, the PC store (or whatever it's called) is directly across the walkway from them and is usually empty. We are a growing group of consumers. As paying customers we really aren't welling to put up with delayed products and services any longer. The only way to change that is to make our voices heard.

Edited on 11/27/2011 at 6:55:50 AM PST

[Post New]by Cheekygurl on Nov 27, 11 8:23 AM

My issue is not having to wait for the game- (that is not great but I can deal with waiting)... it is the fact that it was not until the very last moment- like the day before, that Macs were told there would not be a dual release. BF could have been straightforward weeks ago. Instead BF was ambiguous at best, and that coupled with prior dual release of 13th skull, led many Macs to believe it would be a dual release. It would have taken very little resources for BF to be clear when they started the teasers. If you are going to justify this to me on an economics grounds, you have to do better to convince me because I for one did not purchase other games in anticipation of MCF8 and now am making a choice not to purchase other games...possibly until MCF8 comes out because I didn't like how this played out.

AS for the others who say things like " this is just a game, there are more important things to worry about"... I totally agree. I am not going to let it ruin my life but I do think this galvanizes some of the disenchantment of the MACs

Edited on 11/27/2011 at 8:25:14 AM PST

[Post New]by Fisherman253 on Nov 27, 11 8:30 AM
One question: Will the game have the traditional hidden object scenes?

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Nov 27, 11 9:24 AM
Fisherman253 wrote:One question: Will the game have the traditional hidden object scenes?

From what I've heard, the HOS are morphing objects!

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Nov 27, 11 9:30 AM
twotrickponies wrote:
spent an hour at the apple store last nite to talk about bootcamp and other alternatives. vmware fusion has a free 30 day trial to let you run windows on your mac. the "genius bar" explained that bootcamp required a partitioned secion of your drive to be assigned to windows (unusable for mac and won't go away unless you reformat your drive) - but vmware sets up a virtual machine without the partitioning. you DO have to have the physical software and product code key to download windows - and you need either xp home, service pk 2 or vista. i think windows 7 also works.

i wanted to try it out to see how my other fishy games worked - you have to have snow leopard (10.6+ to run vmware) and support of directx 10? on the mac is what i remember. when i find my windows software, i'll let you know - either by a loud WAAAAAIIIIILLLLLLLLing sound (xp home w/out service pk2) or a very loud HALLELUJAH!!!!!

Did you see my reply about this in your MCF addict thread, Two? If you're putting Windows on your Mac, you have to get Windows anti-virus protection. VMWare is also a subscription service if you want tech support, software updates, etc. With CrossOver, you don't have to buy Windows separately, but the service is more expensive. Over the long haul, it would be cheaper (and certainly safer for your Mac) to buy a PC.

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Nov 27, 11 9:43 AM
MysteryCaseBob wrote:Macs may have been round for years, all your friends may have them and the Apple stores may appear busy but the simple fact it that you - as a Mac user - are in a minority, and a small one at that. I recall the worldwide OS market share is about 80% Windows and less than 10% for Mac, and this shows no sign of changing anytime soon.

Do you really expect a company - especially in the current economic climate - to expend twice the amount of resources in co-releasing a Mac native version of the game, given that it will probably return a fraction of the revenue that the PC version will generate? Or even to hold off releasing the PC version and losing revenue whilst the Mac version is made?

This is not Mac-bashing, but if you want to be treated like a PC user, then you're going to have to get a PC.

Other companies manage to make their games dual releases, including BFG, so yes, it is an expectation that we have and it's a reasonable one. However, we do know that many companies don't see the benefits in doing this.

Our issue isn't (only) that it's not a dual release. BFG would only tell us they were working to make it a dual release. Some Mac players were even told by the staff on FB that it would be a dual release, but that was never announced officially here. When BFG had their release party, three days before launch and over three weeks into the spec thread, one of the Posse cornered the head developer and got it from his mouth that no, it would not be a dual release. It was only after this information was leaked to us that BFG officially announced the following day that it would be for PC only, with Mac to follow later.

From Solice's explanation on the first page, I think they knew well ahead of time that this would happen, but rather than tell us and be upfront about it, they waited until it was leaked to us. I don't care what's going on with the economy, or how much in the minority we are or aren't - that is not good customer service. You don't dangle a treat in front of your customers and tell them how sweet it's going to be, then yank it away from a portion of them at the last second and say, sorry but you have to wait. There's simply no justification for that.

It's not about being treated "like a PC user" but being treated like a valued customer. We shouldn't have to own a PC to get such treatment.

[Post New]by Fisherman253 on Nov 27, 11 2:00 PM
vingilot wrote:
Fisherman253 wrote:One question: Will the game have the traditional hidden object scenes?

From what I've heard, the HOS are morphing objects!

WHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT!?!?!?!?!?!

Go to: