cujo126
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

Re:Reviews for Shattered Minds: Masquerade Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cujo126 on Nov 27, 11 5:05 AM
heatherington,,,you are right i also beta this game...i have been waiting and waiting for it to come out...i loved the beta version so much i actually emailed vast to ask when it was gonna be released..although, i never got a response, i was thrilled to see here today and a CE as well..so just thought i would let you know you werent losing it..lol

[Post New]by baglady159 on Nov 27, 11 5:37 AM
lw2016 wrote:It's the first time I saw that the demo file is larger that the unlimited game.

I am downloading now to test this game

I noticed that too...demo file a bit larger than the unlimited game...how does that happen?

PuppyDogMom1
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by PuppyDogMom1 on Nov 27, 11 5:51 AM
What's the "snake" factor?

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 27, 11 5:54 AM
This is a really great game from one of my favourite developers. The graphic is pretty good, puzzles and hogscenes too. I dislike that the game doesn`t have a widescreen option. Anway... I will buy this game as the CE next week (I don`t want to start a new punchcard yet). Thanks to Bigfishgames and to the developers

poppy85
Guppy
Guppy
182 Posts

[Post New]by poppy85 on Nov 27, 11 5:57 AM
[quote=PuppyDogMo
m1]What's the "snake" factor?

None in the demo

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Nov 27, 11 6:16 AM
There are sooo many great reviews that there is not much left to say

I knew within 15 min. that I wanted it. It has great graphics, voice overs and storyline.
The hidden object scenes are hard enough to keep you on your toes and interactive. The mini games are on the easy side but that's fine for a change.
Great SG!
This moves along so quickly that it hooks you immediately and the length looks great!!

The one thing that I would have liked to see added was an option to play a harder version. There is only one mode here.

I give it 1/2 out of 5!

Thanks to BF and devs again!!!

alpha_Tau
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by alpha_Tau on Nov 27, 11 6:28 AM
Hi fishies,

Not a bad H0 game, overall.

The storyline was OK, but not very involving, with some repetition of approach. The art-work was not up to the standard of some of the more recent H0Gs, but passable, if somewhat fuzzy. The latter issue made some of the H0 scenes a little annoying.

I experienced no significant bugs or problems with movement, mouse actions, etc. However, after H0 scenes and cut-scenes, the game appeared to be somewhat slow to recover to the normal "exploration" mode.

The bonus section included rather repetitious use of H0 scenes and objects.

My most significant gripe is the length. I completed the trial, the full game and the bonus, together, in just over four hours. I would have expected more from a CE.

Best regards,
aT

Gregs_Girl
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,918 Posts

[Post New]by Gregs_Girl on Nov 27, 11 6:33 AM
Played the demo...agree it is a good game by good developers.

Just on little tiny issue that I would like to add for the developers.....

Stop resizing my IE windows when I exit the game!!!!!

Every stinking time I play a game from this developer, it resizes the window and I have to resize it back.....Stop it already!!!

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Nov 27, 11 6:35 AM
This review is based on the demo version.

Shattered Minds: Masquerade has the potential for being a good game, but after playing the demo version, I realized it wasn't going to hit the mark for me.

Up front, the game offers no wide-screen support and no choices of play mode. The graphics are good in the overall game, but turn grainy in the HOS. The text and journal are laden with clues and there are sparkles indicating areas of interest, so players not interested in hand-holding are going to be disappointed.

The story centers around a magician, Visage, who has unleashed a fog that has wiped away the faces of everyone in town. Couple this with the Boudreauxs, a local family who were supposedly all killed when their mansion burned (oops guess not!) and you should get some hair-raising moments. But unfortunately for me, the story line is flat, dull and so slow developing, that I lost interest in it by the time I hit the slot machines. The less than inspired music, voice acting and very easy puzzles didn't help.

The game is worth the time for the demo, but not much more in my opinion, as I found the game much too easy (I figure 3 hours tops) and there just wasn't enough in the story to keep me interested.

This is repeat of what I said about Cursed Memories: Secrets of Agony Creek, as this game has the same basic problems - no widescreen support, no game play modes, puzzles too easy, uninteresting story.

Edited on 11/28/2011 at 6:05:19 AM PST

doccat5
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by doccat5 on Nov 27, 11 7:32 AM
I liked the game, thought the graphics were good. Can't drop an items from the inventory once I pick it up, found that to be very annoying. Think I'll wait for the SE on this one.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 27, 11 8:05 AM
alpha_Tau wrote:The bonus section included rather repetitious use of H0 scenes and objects.

That's what I was afraid of. That the bonus game may just consist of HOS, more or less.

My most significant gripe is the length. I completed the trial, the full game and the bonus, together, in just over four hours. I would have expected more from a CE.

Best regards,
aT

So how long did it take you to play the bonus game? I don't mind the main game of a HOG to be about 3-4 hours - that is quite long enough for me for a HOG. But I would prefer for the bonus game to be at least an hour long.

And how did you like the bonus game, apart from the repetitive HOS. Did you get to see new areas and was it FUN?

Gregs_Girl wrote:Just on little tiny issue that I would like to add for the developers.....

Stop resizing my IE windows when I exit the game!!!!!

Every stinking time I play a game from this developer, it resizes the window and I have to resize it back.....Stop it already!!!

I have to agree. This is one of several games that shrink my open windows when I exit the game, and it's somewhat annoying.

JamieJBD
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by JamieJBD on Nov 27, 11 8:07 AM
I've played 30 minutes of the demo and like it. Like some others said though, I'm not sure if it's worth the CE price. I'll have to think about it. But I will certainly get the SE.

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Nov 27, 11 8:16 AM
Well ive just brought it without playing need some normality and to do HOGS after Ravenhurst, although I havent finished that yet, needed something to do with a bit of ease.

tyyllls
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by tyyllls on Nov 27, 11 8:16 AM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really don't think much of the game. First I have to change my screen resolution to get wide screen. I think the graphics are grainy and the action scenes are rough. The hidden objects scenes are just junk piles of the unrelated kind. Not a buy for me, maybe not even in SE.

Rainbow722
Flounder
Flounder
2,404 Posts

[Post New]by Rainbow722 on Nov 27, 11 9:01 AM
Thank you Vast and BF for the dual release! I love this game and will purchase the Mac version right after the first of the month when my disability check comes in!

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 27, 11 9:02 AM
doccat5 wrote:I liked the game, thought the graphics were good. Can't drop an items from the inventory once I pick it up, found that to be very annoying. Think I'll wait for the SE on this one.

(Just a quick note here to Doccat, b4 I type a Review--click your right mouse button to send an item back to Inventory).

(Disclaimer--review after 45 minutes with the demo)--

I think VAST Studio has let us down, but only by a little bit. After their first two classic "Nightfall..." games, they set the bar pretty high.

This game uses a rather well-worn "New Orleans" theme, but with a decent twist--a "mad" magician has created a "fog" that does nasty things to people--you're a detective (of course!) on the trail to investigate!

The intro is good, but the Options menu is spartan, to say the least--music and sound FX sliders, custom cursor choice, no Gamma (brightness) slider (considering the storyline's darkness), no Gameplay Modes (gotta put up with the "Sparklies").

This is a Hidden Object/Puzzle/Adventure (H0PA) all the way (Yay! I like those!). There is some voice acting, but some of it's not true to the setting (Officer Lafayette sounds like he's from Chicago, rather than New Orleans!). I liked the graphics in the "wide-out" scenes, but the H0 scenes were just a bit grainy, and some of the items were a challenge to find. You'll need to "earn" a hint "mirror," but that happens early on--it re-ups quickly.

Game length? I'm 45 minutes into the demo, and still in the first chapter (so, OK--call me a "slow boat"!). There are six chapters plus a bonus one in the W/T--sounds like a pretty long game to me.

I've really enjoyed the previous VAST games, and I don't expect to be disappointed by this one--4 s, only for lack of gameplay modes.

Regards, elldee

dakini
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by dakini on Nov 27, 11 10:59 AM
I liked this. Just finished the demo and wanted to continue so yes. Think I'll wait for the SE to see the reviews and whether people think the Bonus section is worth the price. Although the fact that there are mini games available in the CE is tempting.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 27, 11 11:41 AM
I'm partway through demo & this will be a buy for me. Lots of folks are having a deja vu feeling - but I'm not - other than the dev is familiar. Honestly - the graphics on the faceless folk would just about be enough for me to buy - sooooo weird as the "face" changes when they breathe. I figure if they put that much effort into that effect - the game should be as good as their past offerings. The cursor is moving with a bit of a limp - but I'll suck it up and deal with that.

Also folks are saying it's pretty linnear - I may drop back in when I've finished game to weigh in on that - I recall the Nightfall ones starting off seeming pretty straight forward and then you were wearing out sneakers & scratching your head - so I'm optimistic for now!

Happy Sunday all!

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Nov 27, 11 11:50 AM
PuppyDogMom1 wrote:What's the "snake" factor?

There was one I had to find in a hidden object scene, but it looked more like a stone snake than a real one. Not sure if that would bother you, but thought I would mention it.

As far as the game goes, I liked it. I thought the graphics were good and the music fine. My only complaint would be that it was sort of easy. I would have prefered to have the option of differing levels of difficulty.

Some of the items in the hidden object scenes were super easy to find, some not so as they blended well with the scenery. The strategy guide was helpful and while only showing the gameplay for the first chapter, at least let us know there are six chaper and then a completely separate bonus.

I liked the storyline, although I am sort of getting tired of the same old theme. Thank you alpha_tau for the review on the bonus chapter. I rarely purchase CEs because they usually aren't worth the extra cost so I think I will wait for this to come out as a SE.

Edited on 11/27/2011 at 11:57:10 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 27, 11 11:53 AM
Great Game! I alway's enjoy games with the New Orleans theme, also the gambling. Will buy this but will wait until it's an SE.. The graphics are great and music entertaining. They have the morphing in it too so it's becoming something that the hidden objects will eventually become. When trail ended was sorry to see it do so.. but... will wait.. for the SE...

Edited on 11/27/2011 at 11:54:22 AM PST

Go to: