Re:Reviews for Dark Parables: Rise of the Snow Queen Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shawnagong on Dec 1, 11 4:31 AM
I was so excited to see another Dark Parables! These games have never disappointed and I would play every single one of them.
Great graphics, the music isn't too annoying and the length is what you hope for in a CE.
I love all the extra add ons, the FROGS, the cursed objects...it all just adds to the overall joy of the game.

My only, very minor complaint would be that the voice overs werent consistent. I would get fragmented bits and pieces.

Overall I am thrilled to have this game. I was getting a little depressed thinking that most of the "new" games felt a bit too one dimensional.

Thank you Big Fish!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 1, 11 5:26 AM
shawnagong wrote:My only, very minor complaint would be that the voice overs werent consistent. I would get fragmented bits and pieces.

Thank you Big Fish!

That was my complaint as well, and there are several others who have the same problem (Technical Issues thread). That's why I am not sure whether I want to buy the game, unless there will be a new version out with a fix, if a fix is indeed doable. This is the first time I got sporadic speech with a game.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Dec 1, 11 5:28 AM
Valdy wrote:Is it just with my version of the game or do others also experience no voices at odd times? Right at the beginning when I was briefed, I didn't hear the voice. The first voice I heard was from the guide.
Then, when the children spoke to me, the started by saying "help us", and then there was no more voice-over for the rest of what they said.

So has anyone else experienced this or is it just me?

Other than that, the first 2 chapters are open for the trial version. However, it took me 50 minutes to finish just the first chapter, and then stopped the game.

Very nicely done graphics and lovely scenery and animation.

ETA: Forgot to mention: The game fills out all of my widescreen monitor, as do all games from "Blue Tea Games".

There is a map, but can't be used to jump to different places.

There are 20 morphing objects to be found. Each one makes your HINT button recharge quicker, although it already recharges pretty quickly right at the beginning, as does the SKIP button.

Now, about the Hansel and Gretel bonus game - I could have sworn that I have heard about this particular bonus game from a previous CE by Blue Tea Games.
Is it my imagination or was there only talk about this game and its bonus game. I really thought that a previous CE already had Hansel and Gretel as the bonus game.
I also lost the voices, the children said "Help us" and then nothing. Characters had moving mouths but no sound in several places.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Dec 1, 11 5:33 AM
Dark Parables: Briar rose was the game that hooked me on this style game. When I saw this offered I was actually very excited and the demo didn't let me down. About time

The options menu has everything you could ask for. Three difficulty choices. Three volume levels.

It's a great fractured hidden object. The graphics, music, story and voices are great! The mini games could have been a bit more difficult but they are a lot of fun.
The map is very well done as is the SG.
There are 8 chapters plus the bonus. I hear the bonus is extra long. you are into the second chapter when the demo ends. I had 2 min. left at the demos end.

I give this out of 5. With the hope that it is as great as the prequel.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 1, 11 5:36 AM
Someone mentioned the music option in another thread so, I just wanted to let everyone with sound problems know that when I turned up the music - I never play the music - I was then able to hear the voices that I wasn't hearing before.

It seems that the music option is also the speech option. *sigh*
That's too bad because I never turn up the music when playing a game, but have to in this game.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Dec 1, 11 5:44 AM
This review is based on the demo version.

Dark Parables: Rise of the Snow Queen is a graphically beautiful game as expected from Blue Tea. The ambient sound FX and music come together to complete the overall feeling of darkness and dread. The opening cut scenes and voice overs are well done and integrated seamlessly into the game, as are subsequent interactive sequences.

Up front options include sliders for music/ambient sound volume/sound volume and buttons for Full Screen/Wide Screen/Custom Cursor. You can choose Play Mode/Difficulty level and get game navigation Help.

I was very pleased to see that the game offers different play modes: Casual, Normal and Hard. Casual and Normal offer hints, skips, sparkles and a map. Hard mode has no hints, no skips, no sparkles and no map. There are, however, sufficient hints/labels on objects to let you know what everything is, which does reduce the challenge, but this is something that perhaps can be eliminated in future games (they have made great strides in this one afterall). However, one thing that upsets me just a bit - if you play in Hard Mode, you don't get the Morphing Objects. It seems that since their purpose is to shorten the length of time it takes the hint button to charge and Hard Mode doesn't have a Hint button, you lose out on this element of the game. BAD CHOICE BLUE TEA.

The story thus far - after at least a century, it appears that the Snow Queen has arisen and taken the children from a town in Switzerland. You've been charged with finding the Snow Queen (destroying her?) and rescuing the children.

The puzzles encountered so far have been very easy and haven't shown any of Steve Zhao's famous uniqueness, but there's still lots of game to forge through yet.

I've purchased the game (since it offers a Hard Mode and no hand-holding). I'll be back with a complete review later.

Edited on 12/01/2011 at 5:50:40 AM PST

[Post New]by wyldedragonfly on Dec 1, 11 5:44 AM
After spending the past week crawling through the underground in Escape From Ravenhearst, I was so excited to see this game. I thought Briar Rose was okay, but LOVED the Frog Prince. So far this game does not disappoint: beautiful music, eye candy galore, and after the morphing objects in EFR, looking for fragments is fine and dandy with me. I'm happy to get lost in fairy tale land.

Happy Gaming!

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Dec 1, 11 5:50 AM
Played the full demo and the graphics are soooo superior.

I totally agree with textrekkie fab review .

Frog/Frags are not my favorite games but Blue Tea does their stories and graphics so exceptional just had to purchase.

Looks like hours and hours of fun.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Dec 1, 11 5:59 AM
Loved the game, but I will have to wait until the SE comes out, this game is a complete buy..You out did yoiurselves on this game DEV's and thx BF..

greenladytaz
Stingray
Stingray
4,795 Posts

[Post New]by greenladytaz on Dec 1, 11 6:17 AM
This game has beautiful, clear graphics. I do like the fact the game uses the WHOLE screen... *hint, *hint to BFG's other game developers! The story line is so good, that I found myself shivering in the cold, icy, snow! I also liked the fact that the FROG's weren't that hard to find. I had to use the skip on at least one of the puzzles, but am so happy that the skip button is available! I got to Chapter 2 before the demo stopped. Since I don't feel I'm THAT awesome at HOG/FROG games, am not sure if that's a good or bad thing..LOL. Anyway I liked the game, but will wait for the SE.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Dec 1, 11 6:26 AM
Casualgran wrote an excellent review. This is one of my favorite series. The graphics, sound and the story line looks like a good one. This is a buy for me. What a way to start the month. Five

LoveYa24
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by LoveYa24 on Dec 1, 11 7:17 AM
I couldn't figure out why I couldn't find any morphing objects until I read the review that says in Hard Mode they aren't there. How come? Agree that it was a bad decision on Blue Tea's part to omit them from Hard Mode.

That being said, the game is beautiful and as fun to play as all of their games are. Will be purchasing!

Happy gaming!

knorthup
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by knorthup on Dec 1, 11 7:22 AM
Beautiful game, definitely five stars from me. Had several things to collect throughout the game, morphing objects to look out for, good map where you can "warp" to a room, lovely graphics, all the things I like. I had no problems with the voices, they all seemed to come in where they were supposed to. One of the games I will definitely buy in a CE as this is one of my favorite series. Glad it worked on my computer - I still have not bought the new Drawn or Ravenhearst games because they don't run well on my system. That was a disappointment for me as I really liked both of those series also.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Dec 1, 11 7:34 AM
textrekkie wrote:
I was very pleased to see that the game offers different play modes: Casual, Normal and Hard. Casual and Normal offer hints, skips, sparkles and a map. Hard mode has no hints, no skips, no sparkles and no map. There are, however, sufficient hints/labels on objects to let you know what everything is, which does reduce the challenge, but this is something that perhaps can be eliminated in future games (they have made great strides in this one afterall). However, one thing that upsets me just a bit - if you play in Hard Mode, you don't get the Morphing Objects. It seems that since their purpose is to shorten the length of time it takes the hint button to charge and Hard Mode doesn't have a Hint button, you lose out on this element of the game. BAD CHOICE BLUE TEA.

Morphing Objects? In my game I don't see morphing objects, and I'm playing in Casual Mode. Nontheless, could i be missing something?

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Dec 1, 11 7:35 AM
Hi everyone

review based on the demo version:

This is another excellent entry in the "Dark Parables" series of games from Blue Tea. If you like Briar Rose and the Frog Prince you will like this one as well. Every once in awhile I love a good FROG game, and the ones from this series are among the best out there. After the trial was over ( I reached chapter 2), I bought the game right away because I enjoyed myself so much playing it.

I played in hard mode ( no hint, no skips), and felt sufficiently challenged but not overly so. I finished the demo with 1 minute to spare, so I take that as a good sign that the game will be sufficiently long enough to provide hours of enjoyment. The puzzles are not hard, and the FROG scenes are easy to navigate. The graphics, voice overs, music and atmosphere of the game are first rate. I also loved the story elements and finding the Parable Gems to get the whole narrative of characters in the game, like the beast. I am sorry that there are no morphing objects in hard mode. That is a big miss on the game developer's part, but I understand why they didn't include them if the whole point of finding them is to charge the hint meter faster. Since there are no hints in hard mode, this makes sense, but I would have enjoyed looking for them anyway.

Overall, a stellar game that many will love and that is worth the CE price. If you love FROG's and Blue Tea games, you won't be disappointed in this game. I look forward to the next chapter in this exciting and well done series. There are so many fairy tales that they shouldn't run out of inspiration anytime soon.

My grades:

Special Features( voiceovers, cutscenes): A+
Graphics: A
Music: A
Gameplay: A
Puzzles: B+ ( could have been harder, but very imaginative nonetheless)
HOG scenes: A
Mode of play( hard mode) -A ( excellent and challenging)
Game Issues: none

Overall Grade: A

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Dec 1, 11 7:46 AM
After finishing Chapter 1 in the demo:
I love this beautiful game! Superb graphics and music very fitting. Thankfully, I did not experience any "voice problems" thus far into the game. All the positive reviews before mine reflect my feelings about this game.

I have not yet looked at the SG and the map is nice...cannot "transport" to where I want to go but can at least go in the right direction. I have been able to do the puzzles so far so they must have not been too difficult!! Possible spoiler: I did read in one of the reviews that the morphing objects are not available in the "hard" version.

Thanks to those who posted the more in-depth reviews.

I'm off to buy and download the whole game!

I just read another review than says we CAN transport with the map! I hadn't tried to do that!

Edited on 12/01/2011 at 7:48:19 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Dec 1, 11 7:52 AM
(The demo only)

Wowee, Yowee, Zowee! Blue Tea has raised the quality bar even higher with this game! I've got just about enough space left on our "dinosaur" HD to get this gem! (But thank goodness a new Desktop PC arrived yesterday!).

Storyline--the Snow Queen kidnaps kids from an Alpine village--our "detective" work? Track 'em down! The intro is stunning, and the Options menu is terrific--music, sound FX, and ambience sliders--screen choice--cursor choice (amazing--game & system both look the same, but the game one is a bit larger)--gameplay modes x3!

Voice acting is really good, but it's sketchy. The graphics are intense and stunning; hidden-object scenes (so far) are the "fragmented" kind--they're fair, but challenging. You probably know the drill--find the pieces--when they're completed, into inventory it goes, then use that item somewhere soon. There are morphing objects and a helpful (but non-interactive) map. The hint system re-ups quickly, and the lengthy SG promises several hours of exploration (at least at my pace!).

For FROG/IH0G/Adventure fans (like me), this is a welcome gift! 4 1/2 s--5 s, if it weren't for the "in & out" voice-overs.

Regards, elldee

VimsenGrr
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by VimsenGrr on Dec 1, 11 8:20 AM
Valdy wrote:[b]Is it just with my version of the game or do others also experience no voices at odd times? Right at the beginning when I was briefed, I didn't hear the voice. The first voice I heard was from the guide.
Then, when the children spoke to me, the started by saying "help us", and then there was no more voice-over for the rest of what they said.

So has anyone else experienced this or is it just me?

I've not had this problem. However, the voice-overs have very low volume. Even though I have the sound otherwise up high, I have to struggle to hear the voice-overes. That's really my only complaint about this game so far (I finished the demo).

Rainbow722
Flounder
Flounder
2,404 Posts

[Post New]by Rainbow722 on Dec 1, 11 8:22 AM
Thank you Blue Tea for a dual release of PC and Mac versions! I will be getting the Mac version in a few days when my disability check arrives! I love Blue Tea games and this one doesn't disappoint!

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Dec 1, 11 8:33 AM
Played part of the demo and it's a buy for me! Another lovely Parable! I was one who flat refused to buy FROG games then kept seeing Exiled Prince in Top Games but resisted then finally caved & was in love with the beauty and storyline & surprised to find fragments can be darned difficult to find! Snow Queen is proving to be a stunner too & I love the extra things to find & click on & the promise of the Hansel & Gretel preview and my CE favorite Wallpaper (it's sad how many CE wallpapers rotate on my desktop slide show - I need a 12 step program...).

It does seem a bummer that morphing objects are gone in Hard Mode - but I never play in HM unless there's an acheivement for it (hangover from HL Samhain where that one game wouldn't work lol).

Also agree it is nice to wander in snowy mountains this time of year! Thanks all for tips i.e. music level affects voices in movies & no morph in HM etc! Happy gaming!

Go to: