laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

Re:Reviews for Be a King: Golden Empire

[Post New]by laeddie on Dec 7, 11 11:15 AM
I did not find three modes of play. It did not give me a choice. First few levels are listed as easy then next few medium and last levels hard. No choices for player that I can see.

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Dec 7, 11 1:26 PM
Very nice games. I like games that keep me really busy and this one did. There is always something to do, time just flies by. I thought the tutorial was very good and the rules are logical. There are plenty of buildings to discover and requests/suggestions from villagers appear and add further fun to the gameplay. You don't actually have to do much with a request, just decide whether to do it or not and then see the consequences, which could be extra good, extra happiness or extra money.

There is some strategy involved, but not too much, still it's enough to keep me entertained as it's such a fast-paced game.

So - generally I'd say it's a definite buy, but just as some others said: this game is way to short. I think I got through about half of it in the demo hour and levels don't seem to get much longer. More or longer levels would be great, but this way it's just too short. It's a pity because otherwise I would have bougth it immediately.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Dec 7, 11 5:53 PM
Janette5 wrote:Thanks for the reviews everyone.

I've played for 40 minutes and have gotten to level 12 - there are only 30 levels - so I'm assuming it is going to take about 2 hours to play through the entire game and there's not a lot of replaying challenge - i.e. replaying would just be for fun.

So although I enjoy this game, I'm hesistant to purchase an approx. 2 hour long game. Anyone finished it? Does the later levels become longer?

Thanks

Buy it. You will want to play it over and over again. Like someone else said, I find the cursor a little sluggush and I have not figured out how to change the "Player" I find this one as much fun as the first two.

Totally a 5

Pat (un)

MickyTeddy
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by MickyTeddy on Dec 8, 11 10:41 AM
Bit surprised it is so short though.

lindiana
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by lindiana on Dec 8, 11 3:17 PM
I too was surprised there was only 31 levels.

As for how to change the mode, it is on the Map, in the upper Left Hand corner.

It gives you Casual, Normal or Challenge Mode. Click on the bar to change it.
(In actuality, I have tried playing all the way through on each of the three modes and I see no actual difference in the game play.)

I have purchased all the Be A King games and found them all enjoyable.

Edited on 12/14/2011 at 5:29:03 PM PST

Lord_Lollipop
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by Lord_Lollipop on Dec 11, 11 6:36 AM
Not bad. Not great either.

peutetre
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by peutetre on Dec 13, 11 5:05 AM
Reasons to buy:
1. It's not an H0G and it's just about all that's new at the moment
2. Some replayability
3. Once again, it's not an H0G and you may be desperate for a diversion
4. It will make you replay BK2

Reasons not to buy (or to grumble if you do):
1. It's short
2. It's a step backward from BK2 in play and strategy
3. If you liked the hidden quests in 2, forget about 'em, they're not here
4. If you haven't played this series before, you'll be lost since the tutorial is minimal, at best
5. Feels like it was slapped together and rushed to market due to length and lack of the little "extras" from the prior versions.

Alrydian
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Alrydian on Dec 14, 11 11:06 AM
I tried this game because I thought it was a strategy game it clearly isn't it's more of an arcade game, don't get me wrong I like some arcade games like the Airport Mania series (love those games). But this I found very confusing, you build a town and before you have chance to do anything like upgrade or defend the town the level finishes, that's not strategy sorry, that's arcade and not for me yawn!

JajsMother
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by JajsMother on Dec 15, 11 6:46 PM
This game was wayyyy easier than the previous two, that was disappointing. Game can easily be finished in 2-3 hours.

I think they forgot to add the income goals--there were rounds I completed all the goals with 15k in debt, the prior games did not allow that.

I found no difference between Normal and Challenge Mode.

Game feels very incomplete.

Edited on 12/15/2011 at 6:46:33 PM PST

Emmy142
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by Emmy142 on Dec 17, 11 6:03 PM
I bought it and am enjoying it. I feel that they did rush it out though. BAK 2 was fantastic with the things that they added on....not sure why they took away the hidden quests though. I am disappointed in how short it is. Why can't we name our characters? Why do we have to be player 1, player 2 and player 3? And as I've always asked, why no high score board?

I do think it is worth the buy, if you liked the series...The graphics are a great step up, but for strategics and all, it seems a step back from BAK 2.

Geluvweez
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by Geluvweez on Feb 9, 12 4:06 AM
tried the demo and it is fun enough for me, it tends to get harder and more challenging as the game progresses. however after reading the reviews i might just try the first two games as mentioned before this and THEN decide if i will buy.

[Post New]by LuckyMalina on Feb 24, 12 1:36 AM
I like the game. Tutorial is not the best but it is not a difficult game so I enjoy it quite a bit.

notdeadyet
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by notdeadyet on Feb 28, 13 8:32 AM
This whole series is great. I have to use the casual mode as I have arthritis but I love the strategy.It displays well on my 17 inch dual boot computer but did not display well on my windows laptop with my 25 inch monitor.I have all three games in the series.

HotTuna
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by HotTuna on Jul 18, 13 5:14 PM
The graphics are too small for me. I find myself hunched over trying to figure out which building is which. And having the income and food 'pull out' cover so much of the field is very distracting. I, too, have a difficult time clicking on the bonus items without opening the upgrade menu- sometimes for the building behind the bonus.
I bought it, and I'm working my way through it. But I can't play for an extended time all hunched over.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Aug 13, 14 9:00 PM
played it but didn't finish.

Go to: