lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

Re:Reviews for Revenge of the Spirit: Rite of Resurrection

[Post New]by lovely62 on Dec 7, 11 5:21 AM
Wow what a game, I loved this awesome game I snapped it up after a few minutes or more when playing the demo, Thx DEV's and BF this was a today!!!

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Dec 7, 11 5:26 AM
Wow! Finally a game that's not a CE that's worth a coupon. Thought I'd waste away trying to use them

It actually has 2 modes of difficulty. That's hard to find in a SE lately.

The hidden object scenes are junk pileish but interactive and have some cute,funny twists.
Mini games are bit different but enjoyable and doable. They also can be skipped.
The hint button gives enough of a clue that you shouldn't need the walk through. Which, by the way, is available!

The story is the same old thing but I never much cared as long as the game play keeps me interested. It does

I didn't have any technical problems at all during the demo! It's definitely a buy for me.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Dec 7, 11 5:35 AM
Review after a half-hour of playing the demo and beginning Chapter 2:

I like it! The background music is very appropriate and the voices and sound effects are good. The graphics are well-done although there are a few "dark" areas in some of the H0 scenes. These scenes have some interaction requiring combining items and this makes the scenes more enjoyable. Thus far the puzzles haven't been too challenging. There has been quite a bit of "back and forth" wandering around so far, but that may be to "set the stage" for the game. The hint system is good as is the journal in the lower left-hand corner of the screen - but I don't like the constant sparkling of the book...I just want it there to open if I need a nudge in the right direction - it does have a "notes" tab and an "objective" tab.

The only "technical difficulty" I have run into is (possible spoiler) feeding the raven...I had to try several times with going back into the scene more than once to feed it. It finally did "take the cake" and let me have the object for my inventory. No real problem though.

Overall - I do believe I will get this game with a punch card coupon although I am hoping it develops into longer chapters as I progress in the game. It is definitely worthy of a nice SE!!

[Post New]by Coronagold on Dec 7, 11 5:51 AM
Trigger51 wrote:Not quite the car accident - but close.

This, and the actions that follow are just a turn off.

SPOILER: Get locked in a cell that has an axe in it? A hidden brick/lock with a special seal to open? Sharpen a spoon, when you have a chisel?

The second scene just takes the cake. i stopped there.

And don't tell me to use my imagination. These are just STUPID. No buy for me.

I'm surprised some developers don't create a HOG spoof game with a soundtrack done by a professional comedian who remarks about the non-logic aspects of the game.

And if you do, I expect royalty checks.

Edited on 12/07/2011 at 5:52:57 AM PST

[Post New]by carolemoore1961 on Dec 7, 11 6:06 AM
I liked the game. I love hidden object games. I also like where you have to get the crowbar to open the crate to get the handle to open a door. The first game I remembered having to do this was Ravenhurst, one of my all time favorite games. I have a game credit and it is a SE so think it's a buy for me. Not sure of the length but read where someone thought it was a decent length. I'm just so tired of all the games are CE's any more.

anabel1566
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by anabel1566 on Dec 7, 11 6:19 AM
A HUGE turn off for me is when you have to go back into a **** scene for a second time and can just click on the objects that you didn't click the first time and complete the scene without ever looking at the list. Very boring, same old, same old game. Was clunky, predictable and had many glitches....needs more work. I did purchase it with a spare ppc but wouldn't spend a dime otherwise. Very short game as well.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Dec 7, 11 7:20 AM
anabel1566 wrote:A HUGE turn off for me is when you have to go back into a **** scene for a second time and can just click on the objects that you didn't click the first time and complete the scene without ever looking at the list. Very boring, same old, same old game. Was clunky, predictable and had many glitches....needs more work. I did purchase it with a spare ppc but wouldn't spend a dime otherwise. Very short game as well.
A short game is it not. It tooks me 5 hours, so that is a very good length!

I finished the game and I love it. It's spooky but also funny in the HOS. Story was good.

Kudos to the developers.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Dec 7, 11 7:22 AM
queenjoy wrote:
Hi dobbie

I have finished the demo and it's a little bit of a cosi, cosa (yes & no) for me so will have to think on it for awhile.

the game is clear and i enjoyed the puzzles, h.0.gs are a junk pile but i can lived with that.

I to picked up the ring and it's not in my inventory ether so here's hoping I'm not back here in the tech thread if i buy it.

Actually I think it translates to "like this or like that" or "so so".
In Italy I have heard it used in different ways and grew up hearing my mom say it. And in french its Comme ci, comme ca .

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 7, 11 8:12 AM
mhatfie wrote:
queenjoy wrote:
Hi dobbie

I have finished the demo and it's a little bit of a cosi, cosa (yes & no) for me so will have to think on it for awhile.

Actually I think it translates to "like this or like that" or "so so".
In Italy I have heard it used in different ways and grew up hearing my mom say it. And in french its Comme ci, comme ca .

The translation means "maybe yes, maybe no". So "yes & no" is perfectly acceptable as the translated meaning. In the end, they all mean, more or less, the same thing.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Dec 7, 11 8:19 AM
(Hey Dobbie and Queenjoy--a picture of the ring and its description go into the journal, not into the inventory).

(OK--on to my review--35 minutes w/the demo, then "Buy," then an hour or so)--

An SE of this good quality doesn't come along too often. "FlyWheel" made a duo of "Diana Salinger" H0Gs a couple of years ago--they've come a long way since then!

The intro is good--we happen on a small town--an important lady has died--a "spirit" has descended--now, there's apparently only a cop and a little girl left. Let's investigate this mystery!

The Options menu? Chintzy--music and sound sliders, screen choices, but no cursor choice (although the game one works well). I disagree that the graphics are grainy or fuzzy--they seemed pretty clear to me. The H0 scenes are indeed a bit cluttered, but the items are pretty easy to find, and there's some interaction, which I like (look for the "finger-pointing" hand for the combining objects.). The hint system re-ups quickly in the H0 scenes, and can also advise what to do next (there isn't a map, though). And there's the obligatory Journal with Tasks and Notes Voice acting (what there is of it)? So-so, but at least there's some (and there should be in a game of this file size)..

In my one hour (or so) with the game, I think I'm right near the end of the first Chapter. If I recall, there are six Chapters, so, at my pace, that bodes pretty well for game length. Almost forgot--there are two gameplay modes--one with "sparklies" and hints, one where you're on your own.

Thank you, BFG, for the timely W/T!

Regards, elldee

Edited on 12/07/2011 at 8:25:58 AM PST

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by mrssharon on Dec 7, 11 9:01 AM
I did not care for this game at all. Slow to load, poor graphics, ridiculous story.

Possible spoiler:

When I couldn't go any further, I clicked the hint and it told me to take the knife to the alley and cut open the bike seat. That's fine, but I couldn't find the alley. My cursor just didn't point to it, so I was stuck in the water.

When I attempted to exit the game to take a peek at the walkthrough, it froze. Very discouraging.

And yes, who gets an axe in their jail cell? If I ever get arrested, I want to be locked up there!

Over all, a boring game and a waste of 34 minutes of my day.

I need some chocolate to recover!

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Dec 7, 11 9:34 AM
I liked this game and will get it sometime on sale or with a coupon code. I liked the voices, the non-crash, the hidden object scenes and the games. I don't remember a swimming doll but maybe I haven't gotten that far yet.

A number of things made me smile and I like that in a game. The first was the axe on the floor in the jail cell. A couple of the interactive hidden items were fun too like the frog.

I'd get it today but don't want anything to distract me from The Painted Tower which I started last night. My memory is that I'm not very good at the Drawn games and want to see how I do in time to make a decision about the COTW.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Dec 7, 11 9:48 AM
I really like the game, I buy these because I enjoy hidden objects and finding clues. I am one who could care less if the story is good or bad, I watch movies for that. I love almost all games that are spooky, enjoy car crashes if they have them, its a good way to grab my attention right off the bat. I think this game is awesome, love the graphics and scenery. The darker/spookier the better for me. For only $6.99, I have the pleasure of playing at home anytime I want, so much better than spending three times the amount going to a movie. Thankyou again to the Devs who work hard at making games for us and to Big Fish for making it available. If I were to add anything, I love morphs, wish all the games had them. Off to enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Dec 7, 11 10:01 AM
XtreemNorth wrote:.. I buy these because I enjoy hidden objects and finding clues. I am one who could care less if the story is good or bad, I watch movies for that. I love almost all games that are spooky, enjoy car crashes if they have them, its a good way to grab my attention right off the bat... The darker/spookier the better for me... Thankyou again to the Devs who work hard at making games for us and to Big Fish for making it available. If I were to add anything, I love morphs, wish all the games had them...

Yep... me too! If it's a good story, great! If not, oh well, no biggie.
Yep... Ditto what you said!
Yep... I completely agree with one minor adjustment - Please Devs, only Morphing objects as a BONUS, not INSTEAD OF HOG scenes. I tried a game like that and I did NOT like it.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Dec 7, 11 10:13 AM
A report from Sherlock Bpup:

The two lead programmers on this game, Eugene Kolobov and Anton Timoshenko, are also the lead programmers on the game 9: The Dark Side from Play Favorite Games.

Eugene Kolobov owns the domain names for both Flywheel Games and Play Favorite Games.

[Post New]by kingskreations on Dec 7, 11 10:39 AM
Becca_jxxx wrote:Downloading now- I hope I will like it.

This is for reviews. Why post that you are downloading?

je_peche
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by je_peche on Dec 7, 11 11:15 AM
Hey Fishies!

I used a credit to buy this one and was so glad I did! Definitely worth it - I would have bought it even if I didn't have any credits.

I turned down the sound early on - I wasn't big on the music or the voices, but the graphics were absolutely wonderful and the story was great. This game was a very good length and had an "epilogue", even though it wasn't a CE! It was nice to get that little bonus at the end.

The HOSs were terrific - some very well hidden/camoflaged stuff, as well as having to put things together to make one item (nice sense of humor on the DEVs part, too!). I generally skip the mini games, but if you like them, the were plenty to keep you happy.

Great game!! thank you!
(does this mean we're not getting a CE tomorrow?)
--Pam

Mimisix
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by Mimisix on Dec 7, 11 11:43 AM
I tried this game first, then immediately bought it with a coupon. Thank you BF, nice to find a decent game that is not a CE. I think it's very well done and a very good length. I like the interactive hidden object scenes, adds to the fun for me. The graphics are not the clearest I've seen but are acceptable.

The music is just playing in the background and not disturbing at all, meaning not constantly repetitive which gets on my last nerve. The voice overs are well done and use proper English for which I say thank you to the Russian developers.

It appears to me that the developers are reading these forums and taking the likes and dislikes into consideration. I'm playing in expert mode and finding it just difficult enough to be enjoyable and relaxing, not tearing my hair out. I foresee good things for these developers and hope they just continue to get better and better. As I said, seems they are listening to what people want. (good luck on that one since everyone wants something different lol).

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Dec 7, 11 1:14 PM
As usual CasualGran has written a very good review. I have tried it and it has got me. I hope we get more games from Fly Wheel. The graphics and sound are very good.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Dec 7, 11 1:21 PM
I have been playing the trial and I like it so I bought it, I like the scenes and the story line, the games are interesting, for a none collectors edition is worthy.

I like old mystery town themes and this one is good.

Go to: