tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fear for Sale: Sunnyvale Story Collector's Edition

[Post New]by tj1147 on Dec 8, 11 6:19 AM
BearKat wrote:
The one thing I DON'T LIKE is the fact that the extras(wallpapers, screen savers,musical score and concept art) are not available during gameplay. I totally understand keeping the bonus play under lock and key, but, I like to enjoy these things WHILE I am playing the game. It adds to the total feel for the game. This is, however a personal preference and while annoying did not keep from purchasing the game. Just lessens my overall enjoyment of it.

I am curious...how do you use the wallpaper, screen savers, etc during game play? I've read other people post regarding this but I've never tried it and really don't know how. Too, how does it add to game play? I'm not trying to be difficult...I truly would like to know. Thanks for your help!!

tj

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Dec 8, 11 6:24 AM
tj1147 wrote:
BearKat wrote:
The one thing I DON'T LIKE is the fact that the extras(wallpapers, screen savers,musical score and concept art) are not available during gameplay. I totally understand keeping the bonus play under lock and key, but, I like to enjoy these things WHILE I am playing the game. It adds to the total feel for the game. This is, however a personal preference and while annoying did not keep from purchasing the game. Just lessens my overall enjoyment of it.

I am curious...how do you use the wallpaper, screen savers, etc during game play? I've read other people post regarding this but I've never tried it and really don't know how. Too, how does it add to game play? I'm not trying to be difficult...I truly would like to know. Thanks for your help!!

tj

usually when you click on them,,you get a popup asking if you want to set them as your desktop wallpaper, oor screensaver

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Dec 8, 11 6:57 AM
tj1147 wrote:... how does it add to game play? I'm not trying to be difficult...I truly would like to know. Thanks for your help!!
tj

Hello tj1147 - These don't add to gameplay in any way at all. The wallpapers are merely desktop backgrounds - a static picture you see when you are at your desktop. The screensaver is a slide show of game screen shots that is merely a screensaver. I hope this helps.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Dec 8, 11 7:36 AM
Excellent game, Thx BF and DEV's for all your hard work. Keep the games coming to us, I loved everything about the game but I once again can not afford the CE's..I will have to wait until you put out the SE's it would be nice if you put them out together so we can choose which one we can afford instead of making us wait so long for a SE..

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Dec 8, 11 7:55 AM
Thank you, Shadowfax and Bella for your responses! As I don't use WP and SS (although I do look at them when a game ends), I won't consider those when I decide if I want the game. Going to start demo now!!

tj

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 8, 11 8:15 AM
A "kidnapping house", that's a nice change from dark fog or car accidents.
This game looks fun.

H0 are really easy. You interact but it's not difficult.
Mini games easy.
Good music and voice-overs
Good graphics
The sheriff seems to have escaped from Golden Trails !
Good story.

Good, good, good but good enough to make a CE ? Will wait a bit before I make up my mind, I don't like too much the animation and the game seems a bit too easy.

yogagirl50
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by yogagirl50 on Dec 8, 11 8:23 AM
Based on 40 minutes of the demo, this is a pass for me (and I have bought nearly every CE released). The custom curser is very lag-y (which has never been a problem before), making the gameplay awkward. (The hidden object scenes didn't seem to work without it.) The story seems ridiculous. The puzzles aren't enjoyable. And I found the first Fear for Sale only so-so. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood! But this one is not for me.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Dec 8, 11 8:34 AM
First to SoManyCrimes - you're making me laugh Re: newspapers - I actually am a newspaper reporter - so my first thought in this game was "Man...I never get sent out on cool stories like the reporters in these games!" To your dissapointment in the date in the story - sad to say lots of articles in my paper do begin (or at least have in the first few lines) "During the December 8, meeting..." or somesuch - because I work for a weekly paper and we need to clarify dates. OK probably the devs didn't think "These stories are from a weekly paper" LOL - but maybe it makes you feel a little bit better to know some real stories do start that way...sort of

To the game - loving it! I was impressed right off the bat that there weren't tons of posts in the tech thread as there were with the first FFS - it seems the devs have improved & that psycho clunky, draggy, awful cursor issue has vanished!! Woot!! I nearl didn't buy the first one - but once you got pas the menu screen the cursor worked OK (and was glad I stuck it out - loved the game!). This one is so far running seamlessly!

It is super pretty & the characters are great! Frequently characters just get in the way of the game for me - but these are so well done! The Mayor is sooo creepy and mean looking! Graphics are lovely overall. Can't talk too much about game play yet - sometimes games that start of "easy" (i.e. you use things you pick up right away) get much more difficult the further you go. It will be fun to see reviews as folks "dig in". I won't have time to play today - but am off to buy now!! Am looking forward to a compelling story and humor!! And seeing what a reporter with cool stories can do Besides - who can resist a game by devs Elefun - just the name cracks me up!

Happy gaming!

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Dec 8, 11 9:02 AM
Review thus far into the demo:

This a quite likable game! It isn't too very difficult...yet!

The graphics (other than the characters) are very nice...the character graphics just "don't fit" with the rest of the game. Voices are OK and background sounds are fine. (I listened to them only in part of the demo as I don't normally leave the speakers on.) The H0 scenes have a bit of interaction which I like, but the scenes aren't difficult. Some inventory items have to be carried about for a while before they can be used and that is good! I have to remember WHERE I needed a particular item and HOW to get back there. Thus far, the puzzles have not been difficult.

I used the hint button to see how it worked and it is quite helpful - maybe too helpful. I did take a look at the SG but cannot really tell how far in the game I am. (My problem...not the SG.) The excellent hint button and the journal/diary give plenty of hints so I'm not sure the SG is really necessary as long as I pay attention to what I'm doing.

I am hoping this game is of a good length for a CE as I did enjoy the previous FFS game and would like to have this one too but will wait a bit to see if someone who has already purchased it can let us know how long the game took for them (for a general indicator as I know people play at different rates and in different modes...some use hints and SG - others don't, etc.)

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Dec 8, 11 9:07 AM
Eoarod wrote:First to SoManyCrimes - you're making me laugh Re: newspapers - I actually am a newspaper reporter - so my first thought in this game was "Man...I never get sent out on cool stories like the reporters in these games!" To your dissapointment in the date in the story - sad to say lots of articles in my paper do begin (or at least have in the first few lines) "During the December 8, meeting..." or somesuch - because I work for a weekly paper and we need to clarify dates. OK probably the devs didn't think "These stories are from a weekly paper" LOL - but maybe it makes you feel a little bit better to know some real stories do start that way...sort of

LOL. It's not so mentioning the date that's silly (although it is - the date is already there in a big font at the top of the picture, and it says it's "this morning", so clearly the developers put it in again because we couldn't be trusted to make the connection and move our eyes upwards slightly) it's the weird construction they used to get that information across, and the fact that they decided that was the very first thing worth mentioning. And that's a pretty speedy print run for a small town, given that it apparently happened "today".

I bet if you ever strike it lucky and report on a grisly supernatural kidnapping, your first sentence will begin with the gruesome stuff, not a reminder of what day it is! And probably best not to talk about the "strange evidence and unusual practices of the prosecution" like they did here - as well as being another really weird clause, that's just asking for litigation!

Failing that, maybe we can petition for a H0G about the December 8th meeting! People are always clamouring for more variety!

Edited on 12/08/2011 at 9:22:34 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Dec 8, 11 9:13 AM
I'm loving this game. It pulled me in right away. It may even be better than the last "Fear for Sale" which I liked also.

The H0's are easy to see, nice and big, no need to use hint button and I like that you can interact with the H0 scenes.
The game opens in full screen.
SG is available in game no need to exit to menu and I believe it holds your place. The graphics are very nice and I really like games with ambiant sounds ie rain, thunder, movement of the water, leaves, etc., makes the game feel real and not just a flat picture.
The game so far is running very smoothly, no problem with the cursor.
I've only encountered one puzzle so far and it looked like a fun one.

This is a definite buy for me. December is turning out to be a good month of great games. Thanks Big Fish.

Edited on 12/08/2011 at 9:14:27 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 8, 11 9:26 AM
Thank you, Mhatfie, you more or less said what I would have said.

I managed (for once) to finish the trial version with 1 minute of the hour you get to spare.

I haven't been at all excited with "Revenge of the Spirit" game yesterday, but found this game very interesting and fun to play.

I never bought the first "Fear for Sale" game, because when I finished the demo, my computer went into meltdown (black screen with white text). So I can't say whether I would have liked the first game or not, although I did enjoy the demo.

Anyway... I really like this game. I like the graphics, puzzles, and gameplay. The graphics in the HOS (hidden object scenes) are also clean and crips, and all objects have a decent enough size so I don't have to use my magnifying glass. LOL

I am not so keen on the custom cursor, because it reminds me of a fish head, and it is rather large, but it is more helpful than the system cursor, which also changes when you move over different areas, but not all the time. So I rather play with the custom cursor, which gives me no problems. I just find it a little too large.

Will I buy the CE? Since I wasn't able to see more than the first 2 chapters in the SG (strategy guide), and I don't know whether I really want to continue with the story once the main game is finished, I think I will wait for the SE. I am usually ready to move on to another game once the main game of a CE is done.

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Dec 8, 11 9:38 AM
IMHO after having played the demo, I found this game to be a bit of a yawn fest. After having played 9: The Dark Side where the puzzles were long and some difficult, and spending well over 7 hours on that game, this one is just too easy for me and from the looks of it, too short and not worth the extra pennies. Although the story line is quirky and different from the usual plots we get, I found the graphics too simple and gameplay too slow. Alot of running around and collecting stuff. I wish the devlopers would have added more puzzles, achiements or at least some morphing objects. This is more of a IHOG than adventure. Overall it will be a game that I purchase as a SE and keep my pennies for a more challenging experience. I realise that CEs have lost their appeal to many and basically for many of the CE games put out, we are spending more for strategy guides and wall papers. Oh well, Thursday is a bust and will probably go and replay 9: Darkside in hardcore mode. Cheers to everyone ))

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Dec 8, 11 9:56 AM
Valdy wrote:Thank you, Mhatfie, you more or less said what I would have said.

I managed (for once) to finish the trial version with 1 minute of the hour you get to spare.

I haven't been at all excited with "Revenge of the Spirit" game yesterday, but found this game very interesting and fun to play.

I never bought the first "Fear for Sale" game, because when I finished the demo, my computer went into meltdown (black screen with white text). So I can't say whether I would have liked the first game or not, although I did enjoy the demo.

Anyway... I really like this game. I like the graphics, puzzles, and gameplay. The graphics in the HOS (hidden object scenes) are also clean and crips, and all objects have a decent enough size so I don't have to use my magnifying glass. LOL

I am not so keen on the custom cursor, because it reminds me of a fish head, and it is rather large, but it is more helpful than the system cursor, which also changes when you move over different areas, but not all the time. So I rather play with the custom cursor, which gives me no problems. I just find it a little too large.

Will I buy the CE? Since I wasn't able to see more than the first 2 chapters in the SG (strategy guide), and I don't know whether I really want to continue with the story once the main game is finished, I think I will wait for the SE. I am usually ready to move on to another game once the main game of a CE is done.

You're welcome Valdy. I'm glad we agree............more or less. LOL.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Dec 8, 11 10:59 AM
I quite enjoyed this game! The story was intriguing, gameplay was straightforward, and several characters and plot lines came into play as the game went along. I'd have to play Mystery of McInroy Manor again to decide which one I liked better. Since I enjoyed both Fear for Sale games, I'd easily demo the next game in line.

My time spent was probably about 5 hours, including bonus. Maybe a tad short, but the storyline, clue finding and puzzles outweighed the shortness. A good story can stand on its own. The bonus story is just as interesting, if not more so, than the game's story! The clues, journal entries, h.o. scenes all make this an easy but enjoyable game. It might perhaps be more suited for those fairly new to i.h.o.g. games rather than seasoned gamers. I did consult the SG a few times, though, and don't regret the purchase at all.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 8, 11 11:16 AM
Lady_Cav wrote:My time spent was probably about 5 hours, including bonus. Maybe a tad short, but the storyline, clue finding and puzzles outweighed the shortness.

To me, any game that gives me at least 4 hours of gameplay, is a long game - considering this is a HOG and not an Adventure game, which usually goes on for 8 to 10 hours or more.

The bonus story is just as interesting, if not more so, than the game's story!

Hmmm... you make me reconsider my decision to wait for the SE. I have been so many times disappointed with bonus games, that I tend to shy away from most CEs.

The clues, journal entries, h.o. scenes all make this an easy but enjoyable game. It might perhaps be more suited for those fairly new to i.h.o.g. games rather than seasoned gamers.

I don't know why you would think that this game would be more suited to newbies at HOGs. I am a "seasoned" gamer, but that doesn't mean I necessarily like to play hardcore games. In fact, even though I am an experienced gamer, I prefer to see sparkles in the games, simply because I want to make sure I didn't miss anything, and don't have to run forth and back forever until I may find what I was looking for.

I very much enjoyed the 1 hour I played the trial version, and liked the fact that I wasn't stuck at every corner, and you even admitted that you had to consult the SG a few times, so unless you are one of the newbies (which I know you aren't), then this game isn't all that easy after all. And I never had to consult the SG when I played a CE (except for the last "Ravenhearst" game, that is).

Edited for spelling

Edited on 12/08/2011 at 11:20:43 AM PST

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Dec 8, 11 11:26 AM
Fear for Sale: Sunnyvale Story Collector's Edition is an entertaining Adventure/Hidden Object game. The graphics are well drawn, although not breathtaking. Game-play is smooth and without glitches.

The hidden object scenes are junk piles, but are clearly drawn and one is able to locate the objects without undue squinting. There are also a few interactional aspects to the hidden object scenes, which I personally enjoy. The musical sound track gets a bit monotonous for my tastes, but the sound effects are well done.

There are two levels of difficulty, one with active zone identification and one without. Although I played on the more difficult mode, I still found the puzzles to all be rather straightforward and easily solvable. The mini-games also are not particularly taxing. There is also an in-game strategy guide and a hint system for game-play as well as hidden object locating. I didn’t try either of these features, so I can’t tell you how useful they may be.

As I personally enjoy more deeply saturated graphics and quite challenging puzzles and mini-games, I’ll rate this game as good, but not great. But, in considering if you’ll enjoy this game, first always try the demo.

Happy Gaming!

Edited on 12/08/2011 at 11:38:46 AM PST

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Dec 8, 11 11:44 AM
Valdy, I don't mind admitting I used the SG, it's the perk of a CE that I enjoy having. I also don't mind sparkles at all, and play in casual mode. As Beingknown just stated, it might not be as challenging as other recent games, depending on one's expectations and personal tastes. (Now that I've finished, I'm heading back to "RIVEN" and it's still very challenging to me, even the 3rd time playing). And yes, I really enjoyed the CE Bonus for this game.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Dec 8, 11 11:52 AM
Valdy wrote:
Lady_Cav wrote:My time spent was probably about 5 hours, including bonus. Maybe a tad short, but the storyline, clue finding and puzzles outweighed the shortness.

To me, any game that gives me at least 4 hours of gameplay, is a long game - considering this is a HOG and not an Adventure game, which usually goes on for 8 to 10 hours or more.

The bonus story is just as interesting, if not more so, than the game's story!

Hmmm... you make me reconsider my decision to wait for the SE. I have been so many times disappointed with bonus games, that I tend to shy away from most CEs.

The clues, journal entries, h.o. scenes all make this an easy but enjoyable game. It might perhaps be more suited for those fairly new to i.h.o.g. games rather than seasoned gamers.

I don't know why you would think that this game would be more suited to newbies at HOGs. I am a "seasoned" gamer, but that doesn't mean I necessarily like to play hardcore games. In fact, even though I am an experienced gamer, I prefer to see sparkles in the games, simply because I want to make sure I didn't miss anything, and don't have to run forth and back forever until I may find what I was looking for.

I very much enjoyed the 1 hour I played the trial version, and liked the fact that I wasn't stuck at every corner, and you even admitted that you had to consult the SG a few times, so unless you are one of the newbies (which I know you aren't), then this game isn't all that easy after all. And I never had to consult the SG when I played a CE (except for the last "Ravenhearst" game, that is).

Edited for spelling

Ditto for me

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 8, 11 12:12 PM
I really enjoyed this game. Had 17 minutes left on the demo when it ran out. Graphics are nice, even though some of the movements are a bit choppy; music nice and appropriate for scene; games not easy, but not difficult either. HOGs are setting appropriate and nice SG.

Again, the only complaint I have is that when you click off the custom cursor, you actually go back to the standard arrow and not a smaller version of the custom cursor. I know, small and silly complaint, but the standard cursor takes up much less space when you are looking for something, or trying to click on a particular object.

Anyway, this is a plus game for me and one I am going to purchase. Thanks for the reviews.

"Edited to fix a spelling oops."

Edited on 12/08/2011 at 12:14:12 PM PST

Go to: