Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Temple of Life: The Legend of Four Elements Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 11, 11 4:19 AM
Poodlebear wrote:Reeeeeally tempted... but concerned about the length as I played Advanced, skipped nothing, used no hints and finished the demo in 41 minutes. That would mean, given 4 elements, possible not even 3 hours for the core game. I find the bonus chapters never live up to the quality of the rest so...

What to do, what to do...

When I beta-tested the game, it took me 2 hours to complete 2 chapters, and that was with skipping some of the puzzles. So I would probably take about 4 hours to play the main game, which is plenty of time for me.

The trial version today took me 45 minutes, and that was in easy mode with no puzzles skipped. So we both obviously play at different speeds.

I wasn't too sure whether to get the CE or wait for the SE, but since this is such an excellent and well-made game, I think I will go for the CE after all.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 11, 11 4:26 AM
@poodlebear Soooo very nice to see you pop in and give your thoughts. If not long enough for you, surely you will have lots of fun on the SE. Stick around til someone faster than a speeding bullet can finish and tell us about the extra play or whatever goodie we get. Won't be me, I won't get much farther before I (but so far this fun is keeping me awake which says a lot for the game for me)

Welcome back!

simisola
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by simisola on Dec 11, 11 4:36 AM
Wow! I haven't had so much FUN with a game in forever. The games and HOS are very fun, doable, even in advanced mode. The game play is very linear and smooth. The graphics are beautiful, story line interesting, I have been getting a little tired of all the darker games of late, it's nice for a change of pace. I would mention, after at first using the casual or easy mode, it was too easy for me, very, very hand-holding. It even showed you what tool was needed for each thing to do, which was way to easy for me. The more advanced mode is much more fun, but not too tough, that's after finishing the first chapter. And after all, if you get confused, that's what the SG is for! So after the first screen, I went back and made a new profile and opted to play in the more advanced mode. Very glad I did. Thanx to BFG and the developer Quick Click. I will also be on the lookout for other games by them in the future!

slink73
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by slink73 on Dec 11, 11 4:39 AM
Anyone else notice the resemblance to Lara Croft, character is image of Angelina and she also lives in a castle?? Anyhows I digress.

Game is ok, first one that I have not been able to play in widescreen on a PC but no biggie. Games is nice and bright and graphics good. Slightly annoying that you have to shoot mummies as was the case with the cowboys in Golden Trails, but think this only to increase your hints.

Puzzles are a tad too easy for me though so will not buy as a CE will wait for the SE version. Brief descrition in what you are supposed to do in the mini games which is enough but couldn't see a ? sign if you wanted a recap. I didn't use hints for the mini games so don't know if they are any good.

Hope the rest of you enjoy!

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Dec 11, 11 4:53 AM
A review based on the demo.

A nice piece of fun goofiness, unfortunately spoiled by some glitches on my computer. Half the screen was covered until I unchecked the "Full Screen" option and I often found myself clicking "too fast" for the game to keep up. I'd try to go into a room, but a cutscene would be primed to start and the game would get confused for a bit.

The gameplay is the real draw here. Complex H0 scenes with lots of different interactions; multilayered puzzle traps, some of which require some actual thought to solve; and a fun hint recharge system where you shoot mummies and skeletons.

There are two difficulty levels, but I really wouldn't recommend casual unless you're a complete beginner. The game offers far too many helpful popups, and so you're basically clicking your way through with zero thought required. A third, medium difficulty seems like it would have been appropriate.

The writing is competent and mistake free. Good work developers!

Shame the plot is by-the-numbers nonsense. I don't mind a filler plot, but then there probably shouldn't be so many cutscenes trying to pretend it's a real story. And I find "collect the four elements" plots actively offputting: it's about as lazy a story as you can come up with, even worse than car crashes and ghost towns. The theme is of the "mad archaeology" variety, with impossibly complicated and stupid mechanical traps in tombs. (The opening scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark has a lot to answer for!) Complete disregard for history and realism, but excellent for gameplay. So that's not a problem, unless you're an Egyptologist, when you'll probably cry a little!

Demo ended on an exciting note, which is good to see, although also on a pet peeve of mine. The main character (a nauseating Mary Sue with her own castle) recognises the symbol on an artifact as being the same as on her medallion and "knows" there's a family connection. It's just a triangle! If you think there's a connection with your family every time you see an equilateral triangle you're going to be doing a lot of pointless questing, lady!

But that's just me. All in all great work from a developer I've not heard of before. Unfortunately the glitches mean I won't be buying, but that's probably isolated to my computer. I'll certainly be looking at their next effort, but I'd like to see a more ambitious story.

Edited on 12/11/2011 at 4:59:34 AM PST

mspaws
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by mspaws on Dec 11, 11 4:57 AM
I just played the demo and love this game! I usually do not play the games that require finding objects to do other things as I get too frustrated in trying to remember everything. BUT this game is simpler and fun to play. I found myself relaxing and not having to fire up the brain this early in the morning! Music is soothing! I love the added feature of shooting the bad guys! Added just enough to the game to make it more interesting to play!
Off to buy!

Paws

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 11, 11 5:03 AM
SoManyCrimes wrote:Unfortunately the glitches mean I won't be buying, but that's probably isolated to my computer. I'll certainly be looking at their next effort, but I'd like to see a more ambitious story.

That's too bad that you have glitches with this game, SMC. I beta-tested the game and had come across no problems at all, and I just played the trial version and again, there are no glitches with my version of the game.

[Post New]by justwannaplay52f on Dec 11, 11 5:08 AM
Poodlebear!!!!! SOOO good to see you in this thread! I've missed your reviews (probably haven't bought near as many as I did when you were a regular)

Thanks to all the other fishies who take the time to review as well, very helpful to me>>

Thanks

Bev

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Dec 11, 11 5:17 AM
Valdy wrote: That's too bad that you have glitches with this game, SMC. I beta-tested the game and had come across no problems at all, and I just played the trial version and again, there are no glitches with my version of the game.

Yeah, it's the same problem that cherbtoo had. When I started it up I couldn't see most of the screen. So, to be fair, I think it was my fix for that (running it in a window) that caused all the other glitches, rather that it being a generally glitchy game. So anyone who can see the menu screen properly when it loads for the first time shouldn't worry: you'll probably have a glitch free experience.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 11, 11 5:22 AM
SoManyCrimes wrote:Yeah, it's the same problem that cherbtoo had. When I started it up I couldn't see most of the screen. So, to be fair, I think it was my fix for that (running it in a window) that caused all the other glitches, rather that it being a generally glitchy game. So anyone who can see the menu screen properly when it loads for the first time shouldn't worry: you'll probably have a glitch free experience.

LOL I sure hope so, I bought the game. But maybe you should just uninstall the game and reinstall it - after getting also rid of that folder in the AppData/Roaming section, and start from scratch? Hope you get it right.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Dec 11, 11 5:30 AM
Dazzling graphics... literally. Lots of shiny gold objects which really appeals to the magpie in me. It doesn't seem that long ago that we were all complaining about the dearth of Egyptology stories but after the flood of "spooky" games, this is a welcome relief.

Man, I LOVE the glitter!

Ahem. Lovely graphics, fairly interesting story, fun achievements (I didn't use any hints in four HOS and I got a pat on the head. I liked it), slight twist on old puzzles but SHINY.

A lovely bright game for a cold winter day.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Dec 11, 11 6:51 AM
After playing the demo:
I do like this game! The graphics are extremely nice. Puzzles - some are kind of difficult for me as I don't have the "logic" required to be able to "puzzle them out", but instructions are there. I like the way to get extra hints (although they aren't really needed most of the time....extras - not the hints as I did use them a time or two). Achievements and awards are there to be earned. I played on casual mode just to see how the game "works" and how it was developing, but there was quite a bit of hand-holding in this mode so if I buy the game I will start over in the harder mode.

According to someone above, the game (SG-wise) seems to be of a good length. I don't know enough of Egyptian history to know if the story-line is accurate but it is a fun game. I had no technical problems with text or pictures not showing...really no technical problems at all except when trying to exit the game after the demo I couldn't find the main menu to exit so I just clicked on a line of text and exited directly to the GM.

I will most likely buy this game - maybe as a CE - after I read few more in-depth reviews of those who finish it.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Dec 11, 11 7:13 AM
When a game pulls me in from the beginning, I have to have it and this one did.

Nice graphics (lots of shiny things) LOL
Good /fun puzzles
Hint refills quickly. You get to shoot mummies for hints. woo hoo
No click penalty that I could see. ( no strange things creeping up on your screen)
Game runs smoothly for me, no stalls or hesitations.
There are probably more H0 scenes than I would like, but at least they are clear and visible and have lots of interaction.

I usually prefer the spooky, creepy games but this is a nice change of pace.
Looks to be a fun adventure.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Dec 11, 11 7:17 AM
(Demo only)--

What a nice early December surprise! I personally like Egyptian tales, and this one (so far) doesn't disappoint. It's got the stuff that we've come to know and love--elderly professor, "Girl Friday," archaeological dig; professor gets trapped somehow, "Girl Friday" has to find hidden objects, use inventory, and solve some pretty good puzzles to pull the professor's "bacon" out of the fire!

The Options menu is standard fare--music and sound FX sliders, cursor choice (nice game one), and screen choice (as some earlier posters pointed out, unchecking "Widescreen" will fill the monitor). Two gameplay modes--sparklies aplenty in the easy mode. There's no voice acting--kind of a shame for a CE of this file size--but the dialogue is well-written. I thought the overall graphics, while colorful, were a bit on the hazy side, but then, this is the Egyptian desert, so maybe things just get covered with a little dust! The hidden objects were fairly easy to spot and true to the environment--an Ankh, a shovel, a backpack, a pickaxe, and, of course, a crowbar! No baseball bats, no satellite-TV dishes, no penguins (and no clowns or ravens, so far)!

The hint system is fun--max of five, but you can replenish by "dusting off" Zombie-like creatures with your six-shooter! And apparently, the entire Strategy Guide is available in the demo--I predict a pretty lengthy game.

Quite a nice break from Android surgeons and pregnant mannequins and Charles Dalimar!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Dec 11, 11 7:25 AM
Hey Elldee
Quite a nice break from Android surgeons and pregnant mannequins and Charles Dalimar!
Pregnant mannequins and Android surgeons?? I have got to play that EFR game one of these days...

moonlightgrey
Flounder
Flounder
2,076 Posts

[Post New]by moonlightgrey on Dec 11, 11 7:40 AM
I couldn't play the thing either, with cherbtoos problem. I got to wander around a bit and didn't like the translation much. The thing is an Ankh. A Cross in archeology generally means something from different religion. (Sorry. Yes I am a Christian--I admit to predjudice)

Enough with idiot professors. Enough with ancient curses, and I agree with Tauret--no messing with priceless artifacts.

Great review, Tauret. If you are this good you are sure too get some flak from the blue meanies. Please hang on.

Great to seeya Poodlebear. We miss your discernment.

Edited on 12/11/2011 at 7:42:40 AM PST

rogerscove
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by rogerscove on Dec 11, 11 8:02 AM
I love this game. So far there are no technical problems and the story is interesting and highly interactive. There's only one negative and that is having to shoot those skeletons. It's bothersome especially when you're involved in completing a task. I will probably splurge and buy the C.E. even though I didn't need to use the SG.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Dec 11, 11 8:15 AM
I thought it was okay -- not great, but okay. As for the person who thought it was very original, I'm not sure sure. I know I wouldn't pay CE prices for it.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Dec 11, 11 8:46 AM
This game is wonderful and definitely CE worthy for me - 1 hour demo, over 6 hours game+bonus = nearly 7-1/2 hours!

Where to start? In the 1st chapter, the demo puzzles are fairly easy and much hand holding in casual mode. Don't let that fool you! The puzzles get more complicated as the game goes along. Some puzzles are a bit hard to understand the logic. But many of them were wonderfully unique and clever!

The artwork, graphics and locations are gorgeous! Music suits each locale, though on a loop after a bit. The four locations are each different and beautiful, with their own set of unique tasks to accomplish. You start each chapter with an empty inventory. There's not very much backtracking to find needed items.

It was fun shooting the different "ghostly monsters" every time they popped up. They recharge your hint system. Each chapter has a different monster. I used only a couple hints, but shooting them all is an achievement. I was halfway through the bonus before I realized that hovering the cursor over the word gives you a pictorial clue in h.o. scenes.

The puzzles are multi-layered, with several inside each other. Some can't be completed until you find the needed object in another location, which I thought was cool. The bonus takes you back to Egypt where you began, and was very long, at least an hour. Once you "escape" from that location, the bonus goes on even further, but the very last part felt and looked different from the main game and bonus up to that point.

I didn't nearly get all the trophies and achievements, so I know I'll be playing again to try and do better. I enjoyed every minute of this game. Sorry BFG, I know that MCF is your signature game series, but I enjoyed this much more. Pure enjoyment through and through! This may well be my favorite of the year!

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Dec 11, 11 8:53 AM
I so wanted to buy this game...Why?...well read how it was greatly recommended by Mudrock and even in a thread in Chat prior to this TGT release...Hey! I even went to 'youtubee' to check it out...WoW!...really looked like a great game...was so excited when I saw it offered, d/l right away...could not wait to play!...OMG!...I did a post in the 'technically issues' thread here in the game forum...Yes it just did not work and I have a new computer...read all the posts in that thread on those that are having issues and decided to check out the 'reviews' thread here...so am happy for those that have purchased and can play...maybe just do a hang to see if this is not just a problem with a 'wee few' in the pond and maybe a 'fix job' is needed?

Go to: