J_Man66
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Island: Castaway 2 may contain spoilers but do have hints

[Post New]by J_Man66 on Jan 25, 12 10:42 AM
I LOVE both games!
Hope to see 3 soon. I do have a couple hints that I have found playing the game. The first one is when you first start don't collect more than 20 items, otherwise that item will take up another part of bag. another one is don't buy food unless really needed, you can find stuff all over island to eat. another is to make as many recipes (20 at first) as you can, it raises bar more. Another is for 2 when looking for mushrooms get close to the one you need and look for snake. Remember this, until you take the mushroom they don't bite. Wait until snake is as far away as possible, making sure it isn't in your escape path, if your energy is low eat a bit, then grab mushroom and run.

I, like a few others here finished game 2 with a lot of unexplored area and 3 rare items missing. I plan on a re run of both games graphics are great and runs smooth on my Vista Ultimate 64 bit windows.

John

J_Man66
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Island: Castaway 2

[Post New]by J_Man66 on Jan 29, 12 2:00 PM
Finished again, and I got all the island and all the special bugs and all, but couldn't give them to the prof. I figure that I will have to get them sooner and give them to him. Waited until almost the last, thus the prof was dead. Oops!

John

J_Man66
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by J_Man66 on Jan 30, 12 9:20 PM
Just hope 3 has the ship and our castaways 1 bunch! Need to vanquish Agnelo tho LOL

John

[Post New]by Queen_isis on Jan 31, 12 12:43 PM
Absoloutely loved this game as did my 5 year old daughter, she even suggested turning off the TV!!!! She really enjoyed the fishing, collecting the multipedes and pearls.

This game is really complex and multi-layered which was really great compared to the usual HOGS and TM's. You do have to cook - cook - cook ... and cook some more but if you get the Level III tools and just get pick up stuff you can do it all at once. We really searched and searched for the rarities and only had 3 left to find before we got to seeing the whole of the island but didnt get the chance to find them. So this will be for the next play )

TiffanyRenoir
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by TiffanyRenoir on Feb 8, 12 7:41 AM
This is a great stand-alone game, meaning it's fun to play even if you haven't played the Island: Castaway. Having played the first one however does add interest to this game. When the shaman gave Yati his new name I was blown away! I missed "Just like Me" the first time, so I didn't hear the little Chief telling Yati what his own name would be when he grew up.
I agree that Yati's health drops way too fast, for all the reasons that have already been mentioned. As far as potatoes, lol, at some point I just started buying them! The potions are fun and add a nice touch.
As has already been said, the graphics and sound track in this game are great! Oh and btw, I am also getting tired of HOG's. Even if you search for "adventure" games, you get HOG's. Compared to HOG's, this game is WAY easier to see and to play. Plus it's a real adventure, not just a series of dialogue interspersed with walking and straining your eyes to pick out hidden objects.
One thing that disappointed me at first though, is that I was very excited about finding out the fate of the characters from the first game! But instead of a sequel we got a prequel. Oh well, I can only hope the next one takes us back to see how our little tribe deals with what's in store for them!

[Post New]by lenoxbowler1 on Feb 28, 12 7:59 AM
Just finished. The first one was good and this one was even better. More
exciting. Wish the food level was much longer. Overall a great game , and a big
change from the ghost stories. Waiting for part 3?

Edited on 02/28/2012 at 8:00:00 AM PST

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Apr 20, 12 1:13 PM
Review based upon completion of the game with all but one achievements.

You are playing Yati, a little orphaned boy who is living on a tropical island with his tribe. Incoming are some white sailors. Let the trouble begin. This is a prequel to the first game.

The Good:

+ long game
+ lots to do
+ great voiceovers
+ achievements
+ always clear what to do
+ ties in with the sequel / prequel

The Neutral:

o graphics are clear and bright, but people are very low res

The Bad:

- chapter achievements can only be collected during the relevant chapter (I missed the C3 one)
- potions for Ancestor's woods and Swamp
- Yati's digestive system is overactive

Bottom Line: Despite the Bad category this is a very good adventure game, and I heartily recommend it.

moochorama
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by moochorama on Mar 14, 13 7:17 PM
This was way better than the 1st game, I liked playing as Yati. The story was better, less B-movie and not quite as predictable (although I saw the final revelation coming), and the dialogue was better too. I thought in the first one (though I liked it enough to get the second game) the dialogue was cheesy and the voice acting often over the top, there were some very annoying voices, too. This time the characters were more likeable and the voices were very nice. Some quests toward the end felt a lot like they were trying to make the game longer by sending you back and forth across the whole island a couple of times, but it wasn't half a bad as towards the end of the first part - and the dratted boars weren't quite as clingy this time around (improvement!). I'm definitely going to replay this one (the first, not so much).

I had no problems with food, I never even thought about buying it - there's so much stuff lying around and you learn a recipe right away, it's no problem at all to keep Yati going. Later on you can earn pearls easily by cooking a couple of the advanced recipes and selling them, so you can get all of the tools. This is really not an adventure (no riddles to solve, just fetch quests and stuff to collect), but it's entertaining and the story is interesting enough to not get bored with the repetition. Liked it.

hraili
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by hraili on Sep 24, 13 3:28 AM

I had a trial of this game, played about 30 min, walked around the island, collected everything I saw, got a couple of achievements and listened to endless talk, talk, talk and didn't have a clue what I was doing.

Phew, no buy for me.

Go to: