tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts Collector's Edition

[Post New]by tj1147 on Dec 15, 11 6:55 AM
From playing demo thus far:

I think I'm going to like this game.

The graphics are quite suitable although the somewhat "washed out" appearance in some of them make things a bit hard to discern...but the hint button work very well. (I like some interaction in H0 scenes but haven't seen any yet so this game may not have it.)

I really like going in and out of realms (that, in addition to going back and forth makes a lot of work for me...and have to remember a lot, too!). I would like to be able to click through dialog so I can read it all but not have to wait until the speaker finishes. I didn't have speakers on so cannot comment on voices or ambient sounds or music.

I've had no technical difficulties with error messages or slow cursor, etc. I like the ability to customize the game...can play it through in easier mode and later on play again in harder mode...almost like 2 games in one. I didn't look at the SG so I don't know how much help it will offer me. I like the message when an area is completed.

I hope it is a fairly long game since it is a CE. Will wait just a bit to decide if I want the game enough to pay CE price or wait for SE.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Dec 15, 11 7:22 AM
This game is so cool, I will buy this game when it comes out in a SE, excellent game DEV's Thx BF,,

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Dec 15, 11 7:44 AM
DARK AND DREARY
going to wait for the 299, maybe, if at all
the puzzles were interesting and different

Trigger51
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by Trigger51 on Dec 15, 11 7:54 AM
As soon as I started the game, I did not like the blue/gray coloring. Finished the demo, but I will not buy this game because of that. My living room is fairly bright, even on a cloudy day like today, and I can't see the screen very well when a game is like that.

Some original ideas here, which I liked, but the colors make it a no go.

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Dec 15, 11 8:05 AM
I only played the demo and like it a lot!!!Love the custom difficulty option, very nice, but still got to many information on the hardest level/" Area cleared" and popup instructions what to do next I like to revisit areas and find surprises/ I found the graphics great, like this type a lot more than the cartoonish ones/ ERS games/ This game a little linear for my liking, but still a GREAT game with new ideas!
Big thanks to the Developers for reading our posts and responding, shows You really care!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Dec 15, 11 8:29 AM
I really wanted to like this game as I am a sucker for dark, spooky games, but this one did not grab me at all.

I don't care for the blue/gray coloring and lack of other colors. I don't know if the whole game is like this, because the SG for the rest of the game is not available to look at. I don't think a game has to be devoid of all color in order to appear scary.

Also didn't like the lack of movement in outdoor scenes. If there is thunder and lightning shouldn't there be trees swaying and leaves flying etc. makes it appear more real and not just a flat picture.

I didn't care for the way the strategy guide was set up with no pictures. (it looked amateurish to me, but thats just me).

I had high hopes for this game, but I just wasn't having any fun. I hope everyone else enjoys it. Sorry Gogii, I usually really like your games.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Dec 15, 11 8:54 AM

Well done and very nice transition between different "realities" that is a mechanism I've enjoyed in other HOGs.

I liked this game but I guess I'm just currently not in the mood for another doom and gloom ghostly story. I'll most likely buy this as an SE next year.

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Dec 15, 11 8:56 AM
This is a weird game. On the one hand, the story is quite interesting, and the interaction good. On the other, it's not always clear which parts are interactive (maybe because of the way I customised the settings - cool option by the way!), and I felt a bit aimless at times. I really DIDN'T like the ghost realm, and the hiding of objects. There's no good reason, really, if I can travel through mirrors, why can't hammers or teacups? Slightly too much suspension of disbelief IMO with this one.

And the graphics - Really didn't like them. I know the setting is meant to be dark and spooky, but there are loads of games out there set in similar surroundings and whilst dark, manage to retain and sharpness and brightness, especially in H0 scenes. It was very static as well, as mhatfie mentions.

Really not what I would class as a CE quality game and not a buy for me, and I won't be buying as an SE either.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Dec 15, 11 8:58 AM
OK, is not much I can say about the goods and the bads of the game after reading the other post in here, but I will try.

First of all I like the fact that it have a new feature to allow customizing the level of challenge in the game.

Second, while I like more crisp clear and eye catching graphics, this game is after all a mystery hidden object game so the dark fuzzy bluish look is fine with me and suits the game just fine.

Third, I like story line, but the plot is kind of confusing, but its a hidden object game after all.

Now what I didn't like about this game, well the annoying task reminder on top of the game that every time I was looking with my pointer for objects will keep popping up.

Beside that I will be buying this game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 15, 11 9:05 AM
mhatfie wrote:I didn't care for the way the strategy guide was set up with no pictures. (it looked amateurish to me, but thats just me).

*huggles to Mhatfie for not liking the game*

There are pictures in the SG, mhatfie. At the bottom of the SG are instructions on how to use the SG. You first click on one of the > arrows, which opens more of the walkthrough. And at the right-hand side of the tips, you see a square, which you click and et voilà! you get a picture.

I rather like the way the SG has been done. It's neat, and for those of us who don't want to see a whole page of instructions right away, it's been sectioned.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Dec 15, 11 9:53 AM
Valdy wrote:
mhatfie wrote:I didn't care for the way the strategy guide was set up with no pictures. (it looked amateurish to me, but thats just me).

*huggles to Mhatfie for not liking the game*

There are pictures in the SG, mhatfie. At the bottom of the SG are instructions on how to use the SG. You first click on one of the > arrows, which opens more of the walkthrough. And at the right-hand side of the tips, you see a square, which you click and et voilà! you get a picture.

I rather like the way the SG has been done. It's neat, and for those of us who don't want to see a whole page of instructions right away, it's been sectioned.

oops didn't notice that. Thanks Valdy for bringing it to my attention. I'm not use to having instructions on how to use the SG, so I guess I wasn't looking for that LOL.
Just wish the game would have enthralled me as I had been waiting for it all week, but alas, it didn't. Hope you enjoy it.

mcscooby
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by mcscooby on Dec 15, 11 10:12 AM
I think this game is great! Already hit the buy button! Read some of the reviews before I tried the demo and wasn't really sure what to expect. I like the story line and didn't find it at all to dark or grainy. I like that I don't have to spend alot of time on the **** scenes and everything was easy to see. Nothing negative for me - so off to play!!

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Dec 15, 11 10:17 AM

I am half through with the demo and I just wanted to say that I really do like this game. The story line for me, is not unclear nor are the graphics grainy. Granted, they are dark and faded looking at times, but I think that fits in very nicely with the context of the game. It was meant to be dark and faded. I liked it.

SG is like most and I have no problem with it. I do have widescreen as it fits my 22 inch monitor. The HOS are good, even the faded ones, and so far, I've only had to use one hint on them. So far, it is a good game and I will probably get the CE as the hints do not always help complete something.

MHO.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Dec 15, 11 10:24 AM
I really enjoyed this game, although the one thing that bugged me was, the sound of glass breaking everytime I used the hint button. I used it all through the game as I didn't feel like using the guide. It was a pretty awsome game and allot of thought was put into making it. I bought it before the demo was up.

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Dec 15, 11 11:31 AM
hannah57 wrote:I really enjoyed this game, although the one thing that bugged me was, the sound of glass breaking everytime I used the hint button. I used it all through the game as I didn't feel like using the guide. It was a pretty awsome game and allot of thought was put into making it. I bought it before the demo was up.

I didn't mind the glass breaking sound but the bubbles when something got done and the long, big fancy writing every time a new scene entered.
Other than that a nice looking game and filled my 17" monitor automatically/like most games/

judyglenning
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by judyglenning on Dec 15, 11 11:46 AM
How do I love thee, let me count the ways.
I was sold as soon as I saw the custom levels option. Usually to do without sparkles you have to put up with a long wait for the skip option. If I don't like a game I don't want to have to sit there waiting for 5 minutes for the time to be up.
And there have been a couple games I bought lately that repeated mini-games that I really hated, all through the game. If I hated the mini-game the first time, I'm really not liking it by the 5th installment.
Not to worry with this game anyway. good mini-games, I'm here for fun, don't like feeling I need a PHD to figure out which button you have to push to start the spinning and how many times you have to make it spin before moving on to the next spinner.
Great HOS that don't strain the eyesight.
Won't judge the storyline, if I want a great story I'll open a book. I'm here for the discoveries along the way.
5 Stars for me

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Dec 15, 11 11:55 AM
Well, this isn't the quality or high standard of CE's we've seen lately. It's not one of my favirote's. I would only get this game at DD/COTW prices. I find the layout of the game very clunky and a bit old fashioned. My review is only based on the full demo. It has somethings I look for in a game and some I'm not a fan of.
Love:
Widescreen
Voiceover's
Different modes of difficulty
Fast hint charge
Music and sound separate

Things I'm not such a fan of:
Overall layout of the game.
Theme: We've seen it over and over again.
Hogs scene's: hard to see objects.
Graphics: Blurry and Fuzzy.

I rate this game: "PIGLET" I would only purchase on sale.

My "Terms" for Hogs,IHogs,Frogs & Adventure games.

FINE SWINE:
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog, Frog ,Ihog, Adventure. For true lover's of these types of games

PORK BELLY:
Maybe a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre.

TROTTER:
Pig's foot, don't run away with this pig’s foot. lol

PIG DOWN:
Rolling in the mudd, don't go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 15, 11 12:04 PM
I can't add this to the end of my review because I was a bit er verbose in it and used up all the post character allowance so I am having to do a separate post.

I have now finished the game and I spent approximately 5.3/4 hours doing it and I glanced at the SG 3 times and skipped the end of one puzzle so, bearing in mind that I am more of an average player, that should give you some idea of the length. The bonus game took me an hour and one of my glances at the SG was during that.

Until you have played the main game you cannot access anything else, once that is complete you can view the concept art and play the bonus chapter but ... you cannot access the wallpaper until you have completed the bonus chapter so those of you who like to use the wallpaper only when playing the game are in for a big disappointment.

While I quite enjoyed playing the game I have to say that I have had my fill of staring at darkish scenes for a while and I hope that the next game in the series (which was hinted at at the end of the bonus play) is a bit brighter and more colourful and in the meantime I will go and enjoy yesterday's bright coloured soft releases ... or at least I will when my arm has recovered .

Cherb

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 15, 11 12:07 PM
mhatfie wrote:I really wanted to like this game as I am a sucker for dark, spooky games, but this one did not grab me at all.

I don't care for the blue/gray coloring and lack of other colors. I don't know if the whole game is like this, because the SG for the rest of the game is not available to look at. I don't think a game has to be devoid of all color in order to appear scary.

Also didn't like the lack of movement in outdoor scenes. If there is thunder and lightning shouldn't there be trees swaying and leaves flying etc. makes it appear more real and not just a flat picture.

I didn't care for the way the strategy guide was set up with no pictures. (it looked amateurish to me, but thats just me).
I had high hopes for this game, but I just wasn't having any fun. I hope everyone else enjoys it. Sorry Gogii, I usually really like your games.

There are pictures in the Strategy Guide but they are in the form of little ... if you click on one of those it will open and show you the scene for that area.

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Dec 15, 11 12:20 PM
I so agree with casual gran. This game is very different from the norm, and I think excellent.

Just a thought have any of you played MYST???

Go to: