Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for House of 1000 Doors: Family Secret Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 22, 11 5:34 AM
Well, I am loving this game.

This review is based on the trial version, which I wasn't able to finish within the hour I had:

There is an option for widescreen, which only shrank my screen when ticked.
There are 2 resolution settings, but the lower one didn't do anything, and the higher one gave me full screen, but didn't fill all of my widescreen. But that's not a problem for me.
And before anybody advises me: I tried with other games every resolution I have available on my laptop. If the game does not give me widescreen right away, other resolutions won't do it either. Trust me, I have tried. But as I said, this is not a problem for me.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor. I used the custom cursor, because the system cursor will add the custom cursor and show both at the same time when there is an active place.

There are 2 play modes.

There is voice-over, and I liked the refined English (or British) accents.

The graphics are very well done.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are interactive. I have not come across any junk piles, and graphics here are clear and crisp, and objects are not too hard to find.

Both HINT and SKIP button fill very quickly in easy mode.

There is a journal and, after the initial gameplay, there will be a map, which not only shows where you need to do something, but you can use it to jump to different places.

Gameplay is fun and entertaining.

I only encountered 2 puzzles while playing the 1 hour I had - the second puzzle is a little awkward, but doable.

There are 35 "Beyond" morphing objects all over the place to find.

I like this kind of game. And I don't mind that many of the things I have to do and find (lots to do in this game) I already did and found in previous games. I am loving this game, and seeing that I haven't seen a game I really liked in 9 days (Mountain Crime: Requital was the last game I bought), I will buy this CE, especially since it reminds me of ERS' games.

ETA: Finished the game, which took me many hours to play, and the bonus game, which is not essential to the main game, took me 1 hour and 20 minutes to play. Very much enjoyed it.

Edited on 12/23/2011 at 10:22:36 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 22, 11 5:40 AM
govols2 wrote:There is a map which shows if there is something that needs to be done but you can not click on a place and go there.

Poutoule wrote:A map indicates where you are and places where you have to do something, you can't jump from one place to another
-

Hey you guys! You CAN jump from place to place with the map. I did it.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 22, 11 6:01 AM
Just to add. I bought the full version and yes there was a gold crystal that may be used in a cult. But there is nothing so far where actual cult rituals or what have you taking place. I thought that unfair to say this game is cult themed when you have only played 45 minutes to an hour of the game and I am over 2 hrs into the game and still looking for keys to open doors. You can't truly judge a game in that short amount of time. I am loving every bit of this game. The cut scenes were top notched, the H0G's are very well done, the graphics are gorgeous, and the music as usual from Alawar is top notched. Like Gran said, this is well worth a CE title and I too give it plus.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Dec 22, 11 6:38 AM
This game is a winner with me, beautiful graphics, well put together story line, love the many hidden areas to work on as the plot unravels, definitely be buying this game.

I love to take my time with games like this ones.

The only thing I didn't like was the music, but hey I turn the music down most of the time regardless of game after a while, it tends to drive me crazy.

Thanks for this one is definitely a winner.

[Post New]by heatherington on Dec 22, 11 6:50 AM
Of course you know there are not 1000 doors, I knew there wouldn't be because you can imagine how boring that would be. Actually all you really have to say about this game is the word "Alawar". I see nothing wrong with this game. It's easy enough even for us old foggeys. Objects are easy to see and I think I actually found all the morphing items for the first big puzzle. I enjoyed laying the train track and getting the train to run. I bought it after the first ten minutes. I have no complaints and those that do are just hard to please so don't base your game developing on those few who aren't pleased no matter what is set before them. Great game, thanks.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Dec 22, 11 6:51 AM
the only bad people is a witch(you have to trap her)do you believe witch exists?i think there were men who burnt poor women as witches,and this was real!and there is nowhere the tail of a daemon!just a hell well you have to use just like a good very hotest chimney!no,this is not the story,and the idea is good to make this house appears everywhere,with at every time different people living in !
the game is well done,voices are not so bad as others said!you can't be offend by daemonic theme and ask for real children voices in these games,no?
the length is good(4 hours without the bonus level for average players like me)and i betaed the next one:it is as good as this one!
music is so-so(don't pay attention on it)
the only complain is:a little too easy!(never had to see SG)
hint system is very good and helpful even when you don't know how to do next!
my wide screen(22') was full at every corner without adjusting my windows settings
can't say nothing for SG,i did not use it at all
now,i'm waiting next thousannd doors!

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 22, 11 6:57 AM
cbtx wrote:
A very frustrating option is the screen resolution which only offers 1024 x 768 amd 800 x 600 so say hello to the lovely black bars.
Actually there's 4 or 5 choices of resolution offered, keep clicking the arrows right and left to see more, it doesn't scroll and another tip to try is by HANNAH....right click on the desktop shortcut of the game, click 'Properties' at the bottom and towards the bottom of the next screen is an option for normal, minimized, or maximized window, that might also help. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
by Sassielassie..Just to add. I bought the full version and yes there was a gold crystal that may be used in a cult. But there is nothing so far where actual cult rituals or what have you taking place. I thought that unfair to say this game is cult themed when you have only played 45 minutes to an hour of the game and I am over 2 hrs into the game and still looking for keys to open doors. You can't truly judge a game in that short amount of time
SPOILER: In the very second scene there is a seance and a suitcase full of occult articles you have to inspect. Doesn't bother me but I know there are fishies who will stop immediately at this point, so just save yourselves the d/l.

Donq47
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by Donq47 on Dec 22, 11 7:38 AM
A high quality, well crafted game. A buy for me.

Vallarina
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by Vallarina on Dec 22, 11 7:40 AM
I thought House of 1000 Doors: Family Secret CE was very interesting. The graphics are excellent. The story line is engaging and keeps gamers interested. The music/sound effects were not intrusive. Demo played smoothly. I did not get completely though the demo, played until trial time was up. Puzzles are different than the usual fare. Well done! I recommend this game and am downloading my purchase at this time.
Keep up the great work BFG.
Thanks again for another great **** game!

Happy Holidays to BFG and to all the fishies out there!!!!!
Vallarina

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Dec 22, 11 7:43 AM
Well I am going to go off 'the grid' and add my .02c, on the other hand will spend .04c of my time to say am doing a critique on the 'demo'...I LUVED IT!

Occult does not bother me nor does Ghosts nor VooDoo, but scenes from asylums and dead bodies are way to much for me to deal with even in a game!

So to the game...

Great Graphics...Morph object is easily found...Voice overs are one of the best I have experienced in a long while...Map to track where u be is great, saves the 'tennis shoe' running effect...Storyline is 'o.k.' of course you are hunting out the ghosts its a 'dissapear/appear' mansion...Liked all the 'options' that were presented...AND...It kept my 'interest' which has not happened in a long while for a H0 game!...for demo I will happily give a ...with a

BTW...the kid is ADORABLE!

Needless to say, its on my 'wish list' to purchase!

OH!... VALDY!...great review...

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Dec 22, 11 7:43 AM
Took me a while to get into this game, but when I did I was glad I played Seem to have found a few doors so far, but 1000 might be pushing it!!!

I liked the storyline, I liked the gameplay and I liked the morphs (even after spending several hours yesterday on Ravenhearst 3!!!)

I wouldn't buy this as a CE, because I didn't LOVE it enough to spend the extra (and I did get Dark Parables 3 the other day so have already blown my pre-Christmas budget), but I think I will definitely buy when it comes out as an SE. A good game from Alawar, maybe not their best, but good nonetheless.

AND it seems like it might be a good length, as it took me most of the hour (57 mins) to get through the demo.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 22, 11 7:50 AM
shagwendy wrote:
cbtx wrote:
A very frustrating option is the screen resolution which only offers 1024 x 768 amd 800 x 600 so say hello to the lovely black bars.

Actually there's 4 or 5 choices of resolution offered, keep clicking the arrows right and left to see more,

That is not true for my game. The only choices in the "Option" are 1024x768 and 800x600. The left and right arrows don't go any further than that.

Anyway, as I said before, with me, unless the game comes straight away in widescreen (or the widescreen option actually works and doesn't shrink my screen) none of the other resolutions available on my laptop make any difference.

letsdoit wrote:

OH!... VALDY!...great review...

(((huggles)))

ETA: Oh, and I got further into the game now. What a FANTASTIC game !!

Edited on 12/22/2011 at 7:51:37 AM PST

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Dec 22, 11 8:08 AM
Enjoyed the demo. It's a buy for me.

darksprires
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by darksprires on Dec 22, 11 8:30 AM
I see Barbie and family have been recruited to jerk and girn their way across the screen. I guess this accounts for the size of the game and not the number of chapters. If there are only seven, plus the bonus, then it must be a very small game by CE standards.

I thought the H. O scenes were rough around the edges and the objects not too clear. I also didn't like the child sounding like grampa. Pity, I thought this would be a good one, but it is a no from me as both a CE and an SE.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 22, 11 8:47 AM
]
by Sassylassie..Just to add. I bought the full version and yes there was a gold crystal that may be used in a cult. But there is nothing so far where actual cult rituals or what have you taking place. I thought that unfair to say this game is cult themed when you have only played 45 minutes to an hour of the game and I am over 2 hrs into the game and still looking for keys to open doors. You can't truly judge a game in that short amount of time
SPOILER: In the very second scene there is a seance and a suitcase full of occult articles you have to inspect. Doesn't bother me but I know there are fishies who will stop immediately at this point, so just save yourselves the d/l.

Yes I know what suitcase your talking about and if you read my previous post that was where that gold crystal was. There was only that one item that pertained to the cult and Kate mentioned something about it. The other items was the book she had written and a scarf and I believe one other item. But I meant the game's theme in any way shape or form itself is pertaining to the cult. I am the same, whether it be cult, voodoo, witch themed whatever it doesn't bother me in the least. If it's an awesome game like this one is, I will purchase it. And how can people save themselves the download if they don't know what's in the game?

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 22, 11 8:59 AM
In regards to the occult, the suitcase contains voodoo doll, tarot cards, ouiji board, and a crystal that I can remember, although none of them were used. There was a seance going on in the next scene. There are members here that will not play a game with any occult references, I'm just letting them know in advance.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Dec 22, 11 9:11 AM
Well I liked the game (of what I played so far). Graphics are clear, map feature is wonderful, HOS are good but the one major complaint I have is why do the areas that you click on to find a message, an item or whatever DO NOT disappear when you are through with them? I HATE that!

I am a slow player and do not play a game all the way through in one sitting. Many times I end up playing the game for two or three days (maybe an hour or two at a time). Therefore when I go back to a location or even looking around in the same one, it is frustrating to keep clicking on the same area, only to discover I already have searched and removed what I needed. I keep clicking on it because I think I missed something. Please devs, disable the area once the item is found.

I am still happy with the game and will purchase it.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 22, 11 9:16 AM
KBEAR2045 wrote:Well I liked the game (of what I played so far). Graphics are clear, map feature is wonderful, HOS are good but the one major complaint I have is why do the areas that you click on to find a message, an item or whatever DO NOT disappear when you are through with them? I HATE that!

I am a slow player and do not play a game all the way through in one sitting. Many times I end up playing the game for two or three days (maybe an hour or two at a time). Therefore when I go back to a location or even looking around in the same one, it is frustrating to keep clicking on the same area, only to discover I already have searched and removed what I needed. I keep clicking on it because I think I missed something. Please devs, disable the area once the item is found.

I am still happy with the game and will purchase it.

Why don't you put a sticky note on your comp's monitor saying where you stopped last so you don't redo what you have all ready done. That's what I do. Cause sometimes you can't block off an area because you need to go through that area to get to a part you haven't done. Like with this game. You have to go through the dining room in order to get to the place beyond it. Yes we do have a map you can use to teleport to, but not all game makers have those maps. Just a thought.

Edited on 12/22/2011 at 9:20:13 AM PST

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by mrssharon on Dec 22, 11 9:44 AM
The game does jump around a bit, along with the story line. It makes it difficult for me to remember where to go next and why.

There was a nice balance of **** scenes and puzzles.

I didn't like that when I would click where the magnifying glass indicated and gather all I could from the scene, the window didn't go away. Made me think I had missed getting an object.

Some of the **** scenes had interactive objects that moved to reveal other objects on the list, but again, the window didn't go away. And once all objects relating to the moveable object were gone, you could still move the object. Kind of confusing.

Overall, it looked like a game I would enjoy playing out, but not CE quality.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Dec 22, 11 10:06 AM
I was wrong to be sceptical about this game. It is a beautifully developed piece of work that took me 7 hours to complete, and I am an average speed player, not a slow one.

Every aspect of it has been honed to perfection so that it glides and flows wonderfully. Especially appreciated the navigation, after playing Bluebeard's Castle, where navigation was a nightmare.

I think everyone would agree that this is a true CE and real value for money.

Brilliant job, devs. You really know your stuff.

Go to: