Re:Comments for Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome CE

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Mar 30, 12 3:20 AM
I didn't get the message that Oscar Wilde was being portrayed as a serial killer; the killer was named Oscar, and the reporter's name was Sam Wilde. Was Oscar in the game supposed to be related to him, and was also a "Wilde"? I thought it was the developers very loosely referencing "The Picture of Dorian Gray" to indicate the illness that the game's Oscar embodied. I didn't actually see much of anything to do with Oscar Wilde or his work.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Mar 30, 12 3:31 AM
alvertis5706 wrote:I didn't get the message that Oscar Wilde was being portrayed as a serial killer; the killer was named Oscar, and the reporter's name was Sam Wilde. Was Oscar in the game supposed to be related to him, and was also a "Wilde"? I thought it was the developers very loosely referencing "The Picture of Dorian Gray" to indicate the illness that the game's Oscar embodied. I didn't actually see much of anything to do with Oscar Wilde or his work.
No, there was no relation at all. If you picked up all the notes that you found laying on the floor, you should have found one from the doctor discussing Oscar and his mental problems. He mentions Oscar's obsession with his looks and the fact that he is getting older and worried about losing his looks. It's the doctor who writes in the report that Oscar has Dorian Gray Syndrome. There's even an article about this condition on wiki (pedia).

Edited on 03/30/2012 at 3:32:14 AM PST

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Apr 1, 12 2:37 AM
Lady_Cav: that's exactly my point! I was disagreeing with Bluecat434's claim in this thread, and the review thread, that Oscar Wilde is being made out to be a serial killer in this game. I even went back and re-listened to the opening scene, thinking that I missed something. But Oscar Wilde is just a poor victim in having his name used to sell a game!

[Post New]by geririley on Apr 5, 12 5:17 AM
How long does it take to dry mannequin's hair. Wondering if game is frozen.

oscar66
Herring
Herring
307 Posts

[Post New]by oscar66 on May 4, 12 9:15 PM
Phenomenal game! Really really enjoyed this. There were two puzzles I skipped that I just was not a fan of but overall I can't say enough good things about this game. I have the bonus chapter left to do.

Edited on 05/05/2012 at 8:37:59 PM PST

j20as8
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by j20as8 on May 15, 12 11:44 PM
I don't know if I'm going to buy this one or not, but the voice over actor for Oscar sounded eerily familiar, am I the only one who thought that it was maybe the same guy from the MCF Escape from Ravenhearst? I know I might be wrong, but his voice does seem really familiar.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jun 4, 12 7:08 PM
I had bought this game "way back" and uninstalled it due to some computer issues and had totally forgotten about it! I am really happy I found it while looking in my purchase history to find something to play as I haven't been too enthused with the last several days' offerings.

I quite enjoyed this game although the map was sometimes not very "clear" in how to get from one area to another (I'm just not a good map-reader!). There was only one "glitch" where, when going to a particular area in the bonus chapter, the H0 scene had no list of things to find! At first I thought that was part of the challenge so I just kept clicking on everything I found and the items disappeared. I just couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do with the 2 little "gear-looking" things I could pick up, so I C.A.D. the game (there were no buttons or map or anything on the bottom of the screen). When I went back into the game, the H0 scene was where I left it and items to find list was there...no further problems.

One of the parts of this game I appreciated most was the interview with the developers. I am quite impressed at their youth and abilities to develop such a game as this! The interview answered lots of questions including the ones about character names, etc.

Again, quite an enjoyable game to play!

[Post New]by doofenschmurtz on Jul 1, 12 10:26 AM
jcsgame wrote:I am really sorry I purchased this game. I just cannot get into it. You cannot skip puzzles, you must complete them or you cannot move on. I might finish the game, but I don't think I will ever play it again. I finally turned my PC speaker off, because I could not stand to listen to that "voice" anymore; although I did discover that if you click on the "tape" in the upper right corner, you can stop the talking, but then you miss being able to read the words. Several people have stated that this is a great game; it is not by my book. There are several dead bodies in various scenes, that is another turnoff for me.

Thanks for the heads up on the no skipping puzzles I truly dislike that the developers haven't caughy on that it ruins their game and is a NO buy

Snaffled
Marlin
Marlin
9,392 Posts

[Post New]by Snaffled on Jul 12, 12 5:47 PM
I bought this thinking it was going to follow the story-line of "The Picture of Dorian Gray" ....it doesn't but is still entertaining.

The music is well-fitted, and the voice overs and graphics are excellent.

Puzzles are a little too easy...IMO

Go to: