brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

Re:Reviews for Stone Age Cafe

[Post New]by brookings on Jan 3, 12 11:07 AM
I downloaded the game to try, and it came back and said times up.

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Jan 3, 12 12:23 PM
I loved Cooking Dash, but I stopped playing Stone Age Cafe with 23 minutes left in the demo. As some mentioned before, it is basically a Cooking Dash copy. However, I find it far less riveting:
- the graphics are quite "cartoonish". Not bad, but not my taste
- there seems to be no chain bonus
- there neither seems to be interaction between guests. Yes, some fight, but that seems to be it, at least until level 10. In one level, some requests so be seated near the Chief's wives, but there seem to be no points for it, not any other interaction
- I chose the hardest mode and yet I was terribly bored. This games moves slow, it is not challenging. That is my major complaint. It doesn't pick up pace (again: at least not until level 10) and it just didn't thrill me.

The food preparation ideas were nice and it might still be an enjoyable TM for several people, but just not my thing.

exdir
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by exdir on Jan 3, 12 1:24 PM
I only played the demo and found it to be a fun game, but really difficult, and I only made it to level 9. Even playing the slow, easy mode, I couldn't reach goal on some levels. They do allow you to skip the level if you want, which is nice. But it's a 'no buy' for me because of the difficulty of the game.

SharonGia
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by SharonGia on Jan 3, 12 2:36 PM
I like the game and definitely think it is worth a credit.

It is like Cooking Dash, I am playing on normal mode and I still find it challenging to get expert on first try. Even on the 1st ten levels I often needed to replay for expert. But that is okay since I like the challenge.

I didn't find the cursor a problem like some previous posters have said, I am wondering if that has to do with the fact that I have a fairly new computer that is fast. It may be that people with older and slower PC's may be the one with the cursor problems.

Anyway, was glad to finally see a new TM game.

Sharon

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Jan 3, 12 4:42 PM
My feelings are a bit mixed about this game. I like the graphics and the stone-age style, and the upgrades come quick enough.
I got to the end of my hour, so thought I'd buy it (well, I used a club credit), but then when I went back into the game, it suddenly became almost unplayable as soon as I activated it! It got too hard! I'm in easy mode, but I just couldn't keep up.
This has really irritated me as I'll probably have a go at beating this level a few times, but I know it will become a lot harder soon if I beat this level and I'll just give up!

I really wish I'd not bothered buying it. Quite annoying, and I'm glad it was a club credit instead of me buying it.

for difficulty
For graphics

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Jan 3, 12 8:48 PM
Very cute game, with cute graphics and plenty of interaction. You can also
pick which difficulty level you want. A buy for me.

dawnmid
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by dawnmid on Jan 4, 12 10:46 AM
As an avid Diner Dash/Cooking Dash fan, I was apprehensive to try this because it seemed just like Cooking Dash. Even though it is to a point, I bought it and love it. Could be that I'm just in "I'll buy anything that is TM, just to get my fix" mode, but it's fun.
It is very challenging. I don't usually have a problem making expert levels on games, but this one is challenging. It is definitely worth a credit for the gameplay length. I haven't finished, but I'm on level 52, or somewhere near there. It does get very frantic later on, but I find that I have missed that.
The gameplay is Drag and Drop only to the counter. I, too, would have liked some tables. Cooking the food is like Cooking Dash--you have meat, soups, juices, etc..
I found the graphics to be refreshingly cute. I love the new games with top of the line graphics, but for some reason the cartoonish style appealed to me.
All in all, if you've missed Flo, I think you should at least give this game a try. It's a fun way to waste some time at any rate

lindiana
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by lindiana on Jan 4, 12 1:06 PM
I too was disappointed.

It is exactly like Cooking Dash or Cake Mania.

The game play is jerky. It is too difficult at times to get people to drop in their seats.

And the game just bored me after about 40 minutes. Been there, done that.

[Post New]by sndgr3 on Jan 4, 12 1:53 PM
I played this game and loved it!!!!!!!!!!!! I like the time management games the best anyway. You don't get a chance to get bored.This one runs true to form. Ran great and can get tricky if you don't watch what your doing and try to be at least 1 step ahead on food prep.

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Jan 4, 12 3:05 PM
I like this type of game, but it didn't respond well when I tried to pick up things, such as the money and bones. I'd have to click it more than once. That ruined the game for me.

[Post New]by katenoelbug on Jan 4, 12 3:58 PM
I liked this game at first, even though it is similar to so many others, it was different enough for me. Sure it was fun at first, cute scenery and gameplay is fun, but now I am beyond frustrated! First of all, full screen doesn't work on my monitor using windows vista, so I had to change my screen resolution, but now my curser has major lag in between game levels, so on the options, shopping screens etc. anything other than the game levels themselves, and my curser seems to fly further and faster during the game levels, so this is the first big negative for me. I also agree with others, the grab and drag thing is horrible, very hard to be precise all the time, so this slows you down, and it's hard to click on items at times, I especially found clicking on money and bones difficult. Then I got to level 40, and for the next few levels, I cannot pass, playing on easy, and I play tm games all the time, so I know what I'm doing. At first I thought it was a problem with the level on 42, so I used the pass button to go on to the next level, but 40-43 have all been similar and I just don't get it. I am really disappointed and I don't understand how this could have been released like this. I think BFG is a great gaming site and I hope a mod sees what I and others have said and looks into this further and hopefully a fix can be done to this game.

Update:
Now that I've played this for a couple days, the practice seems to have paid off. The keys to this game that I find most helpful are color matching and accuracy with speed of delivery. I still have trouble on some levels, but overall I pass most on the first try and usually get master. If I get flustered or am slow at all, then I usually don't pass the level, so accuracy and speed along with color matching is the key, good luck!

Edited on 01/06/2012 at 8:40:49 AM PST

majicbird
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by majicbird on Jan 4, 12 4:17 PM
Bought this right after I played the trial! There just aren't very many TM games, as compared with hidden object ones! What I don't like about this game is how particular you have to be clicking on things, and people! Also, once you pick a mode, easy, normal, or hard, you can't change it! I don't appreciate paying for a game, and having a glich in it!

Gets very difficult by level 20, so caffeinate yourself, sit up straight, and expect to be frustrated!

mkastor
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by mkastor on Jan 4, 12 6:14 PM
There are too many tech issues for me to buy! The jumpy and slow cursor was enough to make me quit by Level 4 in the trial.

Sefsama
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Sefsama on Jan 4, 12 8:25 PM
majicbird wrote:Bought this right after I played the trial! There just aren't very many TM games, as compared with hidden object ones! What I don't like about this game is how particular you have to be clicking on things, and people! Also, once you pick a mode, easy, normal, or hard, you can't change it! I don't appreciate paying for a game, and having a glich in it!

Gets very difficult by level 20, so caffeinate yourself, sit up straight, and expect to be frustrated!

You can change the difficulty when you complete or fail a level, here:
http://prntscr.com/534yr
Click on the second from left button in Victory/Failure screen, than choose a difficulty level.

MsHamster
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by MsHamster on Jan 4, 12 11:27 PM
game is cute - and i enjoyed the demo - but i usually find that the length of the demo is as long as i care to play any of these cooking dash type games and this one was the same

doylebaby
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by doylebaby on Jan 5, 12 5:32 AM
I love Cooking games any kind. Dash, Cake Mania, so I was very pleased to finally see another TM Cooking game instead of another Building game.

This is a very nice game with enough cooking going on to be enjoyable.

The drag and drop is too precise for my liking, sometimes when you want a colour chain, you need to be able to pick up another customer then the first in line and that is quite difficult. This should be a lot easier.

The cursor is dragging at times and I still wonder why in, especially new games, there is no option to change a custom cursor to normal. It should be a standard option in any game!

I would buy without thinking if it wasn't for the cursor!

Edited on 01/05/2012 at 11:30:51 AM PST

rncurtin
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by rncurtin on Jan 6, 12 3:06 PM
This game is so wonderful! Not for new TM folks. The music is good, the graphics are nice and the story line is the best! I love all the characters and animals in the cafe. The game gets progressively harder which is wonderful because you don't blow through it quickly. I purchased and have played since the day it came out and have finely set it down long enough to say Thank you to Big Fish and to let any TM fans out there know that this is a winner. Haven't finished to see the rest of the story and I have to get back to it! Enjoy

majicbird
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by majicbird on Jan 6, 12 6:12 PM
I agree with Liz_Lemon, don't need such a smart-a*s game! What kind of passive agressive jerks created this game? They love to tell you what a FAILURE you are pretty consistantly!

[Post New]by gishee on Jan 8, 12 12:34 PM
I LOVE these types of dash games and was so glad to see BFG finally add a new and upbeat game BUT after buying and playing for awhile I've got to say that even the easy mode is not easy AT ALL!! First, the dreaded cursor. Doesn't aim right, and seems to slow down the game especailly when clicking certain functions in the kitchen. The drag and drop and switching color seats with that cursor is a nightmare. I've been playing this since it came out and HAD to skip ahead levels but then there are certain items that come in handy that you couldn't buy because you HAD to skip a level to get somewhere. Two days on one level is too much. I like to get thru one and then another for continuous playing time. But to be stuck on a level or 3 or 4 of them for days that I just want to give up just makes it $$$ wasted. I love this game and wished the easy mode was a little easier and the scoring is another. Granted not much room for a mistake with all the slowdowns and the cursor and dragging and dropping

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Jan 8, 12 1:23 PM
AnnBy wrote:I didn't try this, but at the end of each level it does show a button (among the others) that says what the difficulty level is. Maybe clicking on that will allow you to change the difficulty.
The label on that button is in fact change difficulty level.

Go to: