chillygirl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side

[Post New]by chillygirl on Jan 13, 12 9:16 AM
I see a lot of good reviews here. I gave it an honest go & cannot count myself among those. I thought it was a little disjointed & frustrating.

dotpet5
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

game credit please help

[Post New]by dotpet5 on Jan 13, 12 9:20 AM
I,m not sure that this is the place to ask this question. but how do I purchase a SPOOKY game with the code for the 3.99 special and not use my game credit. when I go to purchase this game. it automatically applies my game credit.

[Post New]by doobydon on Jan 13, 12 11:06 AM
Dotpet5, just type the code in and it will remove the game credit and apply the discount.

chooky35
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by chooky35 on Jan 14, 12 2:15 AM
I loved so many things about this game
Great story line, incorporates the adventure game so well by having to collect different objects for many different areas, but not too many HOS areas.
It drives me crazy when every few steps is another HOS scene.
Huge thumbs up from me on this one
Thanks BFG

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Jan 17, 12 10:56 AM
Didn't grab me; I thought it a bit tedious as well.

warmbear
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by warmbear on Jan 17, 12 5:41 PM
I really enjoyed this game.. It had a longer length that I appreciated, as well as not too many hidden object screens, and the hidden object screens were not junk-piles, which I abhor. Graphics were good to excellent, as well as the storyline. Lots of inventory driven puzzles and varied mini-games, which I like... The voice-overs were good with one notable exception, which was so bad to be unintentionally comical.

Warning, Spoiler below:
> Now for the bad... The ending.. The ending was terrible, and did not adequately explain anything. Furthermore, why would the developers tack on a FPS "Boss" shoot-em-up ending on an adventure game? This was very cheesy, inappropriate, and did not match the rest of the game at all. This ending was so terrible that I cannot give this game 5 stars.... So I would say 4 stars based on the rest of the game, and a loss of 1 full star for the horrible, inappropriate ending. <

Edited on 01/17/2012 at 5:46:45 PM PST

safarinow
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by safarinow on Jan 19, 12 2:52 PM
grannyq wrote:
Audreyfavre wrote:Good Morning All,
I haven't seen anyone else mention this one particular aspect of the game: RESET BUTTON! Yay! I so appreciate this feature in mini-games. Thank you developers.
Audrey
Unless I didn't see it, not all of the puzzles have a reset button.

Yes, some of the puzzles did not have a reset button. As difficult as they were, I wished for reset on all of the puzzles. Overall I give this game an 8 out of 10. safarinow

Edited on 01/19/2012 at 2:56:00 PM PST

cjpandie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by cjpandie on Jan 21, 12 8:53 PM
I very much like this game. Different but very fun.

[Post New]by HennesSyster on Jan 26, 12 12:02 AM
Valdy wrote:Good morning, cbtx and other fishies...

There are achievements, i.e. for doing a puzzle, etc.

Just to be clear; there are no achievements in the SE, only in the CE.

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Jan 27, 12 9:13 PM
Overall, this game was pretty good, although the story to me was frightfully boring. The hidden object scenes were very well done, the graphics were great, it was not hard to navigate, and it was a good length. The mini-puzzles were frustrating, though. Most of them did have a reset button, but you had to start the whole puzzle over and over again if you made one wrong turn. I would have maybe preferred it if it had had an undo button so you could backtrack and undo your last moves. It was just tedious to start a puzzle over and over again just to get to a specific point. The skip button recharged quickly, though, even on the more challenging mode, so I ended up getting frustrated and even bored with some of the mini-games and ended up skipping them, which I usually don't do. Overall, I would give this game an 8 out of 10. Even with the negative, I think it is worth the buy.

timothya
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by timothya on Jan 31, 12 8:21 PM
Seester2 wrote:Overall, this game was pretty good, although the story to me was frightfully boring. The hidden object scenes were very well done, the graphics were great, it was not hard to navigate, and it was a good length. The mini-puzzles were frustrating, though. Most of them did have a reset button, but you had to start the whole puzzle over and over again if you made one wrong turn. I would have maybe preferred it if it had had an undo button so you could backtrack and undo your last moves. It was just tedious to start a puzzle over and over again just to get to a specific point. The skip button recharged quickly, though, even on the more challenging mode, so I ended up getting frustrated and even bored with some of the mini-games and ended up skipping them, which I usually don't do. Overall, I would give this game an 8 out of 10. Even with the negative, I think it is worth the buy.

I know the puzzle you're talking about and I couldn't agree more. The thing has dozens of moves to the correct solution and a rather touchy moving piece, and one wrong move and you have to start over. Pity, too, because I was really enjoying the puzzle, but it just got too tedious and I ended up skipping it regretfully.

I love puzzle games and this is a good one. Great graphics, nice music, but a plot that really could have used a better writer. It's a little tough to reconcile the friendly 9 with the same people who tortured knights to death earlier.

So far three fins of five, but it could have been so much more.

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Feb 2, 12 1:28 PM
timothya wrote:
Seester2 wrote:Overall, this game was pretty good, although the story to me was frightfully boring. The hidden object scenes were very well done, the graphics were great, it was not hard to navigate, and it was a good length. The mini-puzzles were frustrating, though. Most of them did have a reset button, but you had to start the whole puzzle over and over again if you made one wrong turn. I would have maybe preferred it if it had had an undo button so you could backtrack and undo your last moves. It was just tedious to start a puzzle over and over again just to get to a specific point. The skip button recharged quickly, though, even on the more challenging mode, so I ended up getting frustrated and even bored with some of the mini-games and ended up skipping them, which I usually don't do. Overall, I would give this game an 8 out of 10. Even with the negative, I think it is worth the buy.

I know the puzzle you're talking about and I couldn't agree more. The thing has dozens of moves to the correct solution and a rather touchy moving piece, and one wrong move and you have to start over. Pity, too, because I was really enjoying the puzzle, but it just got too tedious and I ended up skipping it regretfully.

I love puzzle games and this is a good one. Great graphics, nice music, but a plot that really could have used a better writer. It's a little tough to reconcile the friendly 9 with the same people who tortured knights to death earlier.

So far three fins of five, but it could have been so much more.

Sorry to quote ad infinitum but I agree with both posters. The beauty and fun of this game waned as I struggled with (I think they're both referring to) the clock puzzle. One slight miscalculation and you're back to square one (literally.) An undo button would have saved tons of frustration. I've rarely skipped puzzles in any games but this one is setting a new high for me. Not enough to stop playing, because I think it's extremely well done, but an undo feature would have made it awesome.

Edited on 02/02/2012 at 1:33:03 PM PST

murphy1923
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by murphy1923 on Feb 3, 12 1:44 PM
One of the better games I've played. Thoroughly enjoyable, unique and challenging mini-games. The HOG searches were a little messy, but I could locate everything and enjoyed the interactive searching.
The art was perfect, the monsters scary, a good story (though that isn't important to me). Had I known it was this good, I probably would have bought the CE!

lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by lovemybook on Feb 3, 12 11:07 PM
I liked this game a lot - except for one thing. If you are the type of person who there is ONE type of puzzle you don't like, and it is the one where you have to rotate multiple pieces into position (you know, the one like those little plastic ones you did as a kid where you had to line up all the numbers) - well there are a lot of minigames here with that puzzle type.

For some reason, those make me crazy. Other than that, game is great. But I did a lot of puzzle skipping with those. My personal puzzle dislike.

Noonio
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Noonio on Feb 4, 12 12:46 PM
I really enjoyed this game. It seemed to last as long as a CE game too which is always a bonus. Graphics were fab. Got me thinking on some of the puzzles. I much prefer the puzzles to HOG scenes as they can be annoying at times. Thanks BF

Noonio
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Noonio on Feb 4, 12 12:47 PM
I really enjoyed this game. It seemed to last as long as a CE game too which is always a bonus. Graphics were fab. Got me thinking on some of the puzzles. I much prefer the puzzles to HOG scenes as they can be annoying at times. Thanks BF

Noonio
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Noonio on Feb 4, 12 12:47 PM

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Feb 12, 12 7:38 PM
I didn't know what to expect from this game, but I enjoyed it. It was a nice long game for the money with lots of help in game so that I only had to go to the walk through twice for assistance. The artwork was well done, the characters were well conceived, the voice overs decent--although it all sounded like the same actor except for the women. If you're a fan of sword and sorcery type games, you'll enjoy this--it had a kind of Lord of the Rings flavor. I liked the fact that it was free of gore and dead animals as some of the other games I'd played were. I'll look for other games by this studio, they're no ERS or Blue Tea Games--but it was very well done.

[Post New]by sundance3 on Feb 29, 12 6:51 PM
I enjoyed this game right up until the end. It was a very crappy ending.
And you get stuck near the end and the walkthrough does NOT help. Thank goodness for a great Big Fish community who tell you how to get unstuck.

sharona88
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by sharona88 on Apr 24, 12 6:08 PM
I found this game to be a little of the boring side, as the storyline just didn't capture my attention.

The graphics and game play were good, but this just didn't quite make up for the lack of captivating storyline in my opinion.

Go to: