tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
588 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Tales: The Legacy Collector's Edition

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jan 5, 12 7:51 AM
Review from playing demo:

The graphics are awesome! I love the rainy/snowy atmosphere in the games (maybe because I don't like them much in RL!). I have had a bit of difficulty finding some things in the H0 scenes but that is fine...not much fun for me if I find everything right away. Running around? Lots and I love it! I am way into the castle now and know there is something I still need to do near the beginning! The music seems to "stall" a bit sometimes when going from a major scene to another but it lasts only a couple of seconds (might be my computer). I like the ambient sounds and had the music on for just a short time to listen to it (appropriate for game) but normally never use the speakers. I love wolves - "were-" and otherwise and am pleased to see them in this game.

The few puzzles I encountered thus far haven't been too hard although there are a couple that I have to find items for before I can do the puzzles. The hint button is quite helpful as is the map and I do like a map! I have not yet used the SG so cannot comment on it.

I have had no technical problems at all... This game will definitely be a "buy" for me and most likely as CE.

[Post New]by Gabbyellen on Jan 5, 12 8:08 AM
When I started to play this game I thought " oh, same old game". But this is one got more interesting the longer I played. The graphics are very crisp and clear, I've been able to play it in full screen mode and the map (which is accessed by clicking on the compass) is a nice little extra! All in all I'd say this one was a pleasant surprise!

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,291 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jan 5, 12 8:20 AM
Played the demo through to the end, but up to that point, just
finding I feel "uninvolved". Can't think of another word to better
explain, just seem to be going through the motions.

Grim Tales: The Bride was a favorite of mine and I was really
looking forward to this one, but it's just not exciting me. Maybe
I'll go back and play some of The Bride and try to figure out what
I liked so much that I'm not finding in this one.

After that, will wait for the SE and see if the demo grabs me, then.

Would be interested in what others think of this vs The Bride.

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Jan 5, 12 8:34 AM
jailbird400 wrote:HI..I have all the specs 2012 Asus republic of gamers,Nvidia geforce GTX,560M 2GB.On video card. intel core i7. I ill not go on and on...but still no wide screen on most BF Games. AT 14.00 This is somthing that ..well is a givin. No wide screen no 14.00. i do pay the 7.00..but believe me..the black bars are still an irritant. If we continue to repeat ourselves...then maybe..just maybe....bf will get it. BF is losing alot of money on me. Due to this issue.Again ,14.00 no widescreen , no buy.7.00..maybe.

cbtx wrote:
glb613 wrote:The game fills the screen on my notebook computer and my desktop with a 23 inch monitor. I use the full screen option and there are no black bars,. My advice for those who like to play games, get a computer that handles the specs. It really is tiresome to read the same complaint from the same poster with every game.

Then I would simply skip over those posts, and not take the extra time to post a complaint in the review thread (which gets us off-topic, which is reviews).
Just me, though.

Happy gaming!

edited for spelling

You should go to Nvidia control panel and change the settings, and you will get the full screen on almost every game.

WolfenRaindancer
Salmon
Salmon
2,639 Posts

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jan 5, 12 9:32 AM
Plays wide screen on mine...my normal res is 1600X900. I love the theme, expect junk pile hogs, enjoy the rain, and the spooky atmosphere. Oh, and anything wolf, lol. I actually looked at the wallpapers, hoping to find that lovely scene in the first puzzle...alas, it wasn't there But I love Elephant games, and I am off to play some more of this one, as it definitely feeds my hunger.

eta...It isn't a car crash, per se, but a tree that falls during the storm, lol.

Edited on 01/05/2012 at 9:33:14 AM PST

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Jan 5, 12 9:52 AM
All I can say is I love this game! You cannot get any better graphics than this. tons of things to do. The hidden object secenes are terrific, I can find the items easier in this game and there aren't to many of them. Werewolves are very popular this year as far as I am concerned they are always popular with me. this is an enjoyable game by far. As far as wide screen, I never pay any attention to it, I get wrapped up into playing the game and dont even notice. Thank you devs for a great game.

Edited on 01/05/2012 at 9:58:48 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,439 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jan 5, 12 10:26 AM

I was ready and willing to really enjoy this game but I'm a story lover and I couldn't get a handle on the story in this game.

I played the whole demo and enjoyed the graphics and mechanics but had no enthusiasm to go on because there is no compelling story tension to do so.....

I'll most likely buy as an SE.....

jennipurr
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by jennipurr on Jan 5, 12 10:36 AM
The last Grim Tales: the Bride, that I bought and played had a terrible ending (SE version). Is this one any better? I know it is not the SE yet but I enjoyed the game until I got to the ending and don't want to be left hanging again.

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Jan 5, 12 11:39 AM
Based on the demo:

I really enjoyed this game. The graphics were great and the mini games were different and just the right amount of challenging for me. I liked how the inventory items were not all near the area that they were to be used on. I needed to use the hint button a few times in order to make my next move and it worked beautifully (gave me a good "hint" without physically directing me to the next move). I don't usually pay a lot of attention to the story line, unless it is unusually interesting, so I can't comment on whether this story made any sense etc.... I don't buy CE unless they are spectacular (which this one isn't) but it is a definite buy for me when the SE comes out.

[Post New]by Crystalscove22 on Jan 5, 12 12:01 PM
jailbird400 wrote:HI..I have all the specs 2012 Asus republic of gamers,Nvidia geforce GTX,560M 2GB.On video card. intel core i7. I ill not go on and on...but still no wide screen on most BF Games. AT 14.00 This is somthing that ..well is a givin. No wide screen no 14.00. i do pay the 7.00..but believe me..the black bars are still an irritant. If we continue to repeat ourselves...then maybe..just maybe....bf will get it. BF is losing alot of money on me. Due to this issue.Again ,14.00 no widescreen , no buy.7.00..maybe.

cbtx wrote:
glb613 wrote:The game fills the screen on my notebook computer and my desktop with a 23 inch monitor. I use the full screen option and there are no black bars,. My advice for those who like to play games, get a computer that handles the specs. It really is tiresome to read the same complaint from the same poster with every game.

Then I would simply skip over those posts, and not take the extra time to post a complaint in the review thread (which gets us off-topic, which is reviews).
Just me, though.

Happy gaming!

edited for spelling

I have a 27 inch widescreen and once I adjusted the resolution on my pc I have no problems with the game filling up the screen. Just a thought for those who havent tried adjusting their resolution setting. Happy gaming

mhatfie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,211 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jan 5, 12 12:50 PM
This game so far, based on the demo, did not move me. As another fishie said they felt "uninvolved" which is how I felt. I felt like I was just going through the motions. The H0 scenes are not interactive and therefore for me boring. Not enough excitement or fun in this game to keep my interest.

I really liked the last Grim tales, but sadly will wait for the SE on this one.

Edited on 01/05/2012 at 12:52:13 PM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Catfish
Catfish
1,637 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jan 5, 12 2:06 PM
This game has all the bells and whistles, one looks for in a game. The graphics are so beautiful and they give you all the options you need.

Yes: Widescreen
Yes: Contrast Adjustments
Yes: Voiceovers
Yes: Separate Sound adjustments
Yes: Option for NO Sparkles
Yes: Different modes of play
Theme: Mystery Wolves

It is a very high quality game and I do like it. But, I will wait for SE version, because all the CE's are starting to look the same to me. There is alot of back and fourth in the game. The storyline wasn't completely clear at the start of the game. This game is worth buying, but not for me as the CE. I think since the storylines there offering all the time are the same, I'm not willing to pay double the price. Note to Developers - Please come up with some new storylines.

I rate this game: “FINE SWINE”
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it. But for me I'll wait for SE version.
‘ ‘
(o)

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 5, 12 2:46 PM
Well this game should be a HOWLING success! Sorry for the pun. Just couldn't help it. Well, it seems that Twilight has influenced our games lately. Now we are on the werewolf track. Second one in the last week. Actually, I like this one better than the one last week. The graphics by Elephant games, are much better. There is voice and it doesn't fade out like the one last week. So as far as wolves are concerned, my bet is on this one as the better game, (if you like hairy critters). The puzzles are okay, not exceptional but okay. The HOG scenes are decent as well. I am not a great fan of Fido, so I may wait until it comes out on CE. Seriously, Elephant creates great games. Geesh! Also getting alot of children in these storylines lately. A little weird to me.

bfgHondo
3,713 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Jan 5, 12 2:48 PM
Hi fishies,

I just wanted to remind everyone that this thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you're experiencing a technical issue with this game, please let us know by posting in the 'Tech Issues' thread and by contacting Tech Support.

In order to keep this thread on-topic, the Moderation Team will be editing any non-reviews beyond this post.

-bfgHondo

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
944 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jan 5, 12 3:02 PM
I agree with all of the previous positive reviewers. Elephant games is in my top 4 of fav devs.

Great grahics and details, SG keeps its place as you play (a must for me)and full screen. So far I have liked the voices. As stated prevously I am a little confused by the storyline in the beginning of the demo I dont quite have a handle on it yet. Hopefully the loose ends will tie up further into the game.

This is a buy for me.

Happy gaming to all fishies.

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,032 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Jan 5, 12 3:10 PM
Not bad, but one problem I found with this was that at least one puzzle--the sliding bar puzzle on the second floor which is supposed to open the grating--is not skippable. I was playing on the easiest mode and couldn't solve it. There were instructions on how to solve it in the strategy guide, but I'm afraid I couldn't follow them very well

Without a skip button, I was unable to progress. There was no way to get past that area, and the game refused to give me hints for other areas. All it would say was, "There is a mechanism on the second floor that will open the grating."

Not a buy for me.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jan 5, 12 3:32 PM
angelfish106 wrote:I played 45 minutes of the demo before becoming so bored I quit the game and deleted it. Nothing new or innovative here; car crash and you find an apparently abandoned castle apart from wolves appearing to presumably try and scare you off. Personally I'd have gone home then but of course the heroine has to go wandering about, finding suitably useful items conveniently placed in order to proceed. Graphics were nice enough but this scenario has been done to death lately.

No widescreen option either so black bars down either side and the constantly glowing hint button was irritating. Sorry Elephant but this game did absolutely nothing to entice me to buy it.

Me, too, I was also disappointed at the amount of hints provided in the Hardcore play mode. I mean why even bother if you're just going to be told what to do.

[Post New]by starfish63047 on Jan 5, 12 5:00 PM
Dissapointed, had to rely tooooo much on hints.

[Post New]by michellewrenn on Jan 5, 12 6:29 PM
[removed by moderator]

Edited on 01/06/2012 at 12:45:44 AM PST

dancemom1
Clownfish
Clownfish
755 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 5, 12 6:50 PM
Not a bad game. I really like Elephant games, but there are a lot of unnecessary sparkles in this one. I sort of like to look for things (makes a game more challenging to me). Did not care for the SG. Do not like them when they don't hold the last page you were on and you have to filter through umpteen pages to get where you left off. Very irritating! Graphics nice, voice overs nice, music okay, HOGs not difficult.

I agree about the story line. It just sort of starts in the middle...no build up to anything. A bit bland in that area. Hopefully it does get better as the game progresses. Will definitely have to think about this one. Not something I feel like I just have to have, like some of the other games. This one goes in my puddle for now.

Go to: