bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

Re:Reviews for Jewel Quest: The Sapphire Dragon

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jan 7, 12 11:50 AM
Well, I agree with CasualGran in some respects. I thought it would have some adventure with it also. I did, however, like it as a Match 3.

I played in timed mode and found that I really enjoyed it. I am an Adventure/Hidden Object addict but like a Match 3 for a change and this may be one for me.

I did enjoy the story but I didn't like having to go through the characters every time to move on.

Like WolfnRaindancer I haven't purchased any Jewel Quest games this far but was gifted a disc from a friend. I tend to get bored with them to fast but I may get this just for a break from the usual.

[Post New]by cloudburst on Jan 7, 12 11:54 AM
played the trial and may buy; haven't decided yet. I too liked the relaxed mode as being 70 yrs , sometime my hands aren't moving fast enough to finish timed games.I always turn all sounds off - they drive me crazy and after the 1st time through skip the cartoons. I have most of the JQ games and like them very much- since they take me a while to finish , I feel like I got alot for my money.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Jan 7, 12 12:10 PM
Valdy wrote:Well, I usually am bored with the JQ games, but I am loving this one.

I love the variety of the boards, which means I don't get bored as quickly as I usually do with M3 games.

And I am loving the fact that I can play this game in Relaxed Mode. A super plus for me. Wouldn't have bought this game otherwise.

The boards are fun, the colours are fresh, and I like the interaction from the characters - although there is a little too much of it at times.

Happy gaming, everyone.

I LOVE this Jewel Quest. In the past I have bought them and never finished the game I became bored. I LOVE the excellent voice overs and everything Valdy said in her review. The only thing I disagree on I LOVE the interaction and the more the better. For people that prefer the more boring skip the speech, we have relaxed mode which I really appreciate also. I never liked the other Jewel Quest but this is a keeper I will play many times. I love the assortment of characters, excellent tutorial before I had trouble understanding. I LOVE the storyline and eager to save the Brother. I LOVE the sense of humor friendly teasing of each other. I bought the game before demo was finished. Looking forward to more games like this in Jewel quest. I just finished a new board "path finder" WOW this was so much fun. The assortment of Characters to help you on the board is really nice touch. Excellent Voice overs I LOVE that it is all through the game, oh I hate when I think a game has voice all through the game and it is only at the beginning. There is only one thing that could make this better and that is animation in the Cartoon style graphics. I LOVE the cartoon style graphics also, big,bold and colorful. No problem downloading or installing. Ok if you don't get the idea of the game for me it is a winner and just in case you didn't notice, I LOVE this game!

Edited on 01/07/2012 at 12:23:17 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 7, 12 12:39 PM
Sherryah wrote:I LOVE this Jewel Quest. In the past I have bought them and never finished the game I became bored. I LOVE the excellent voice overs and everything Valdy said in her review. The only thing I disagree on I LOVE the interaction and the more the better. For people that prefer the more boring skip the speech, we have relaxed mode which I really appreciate also. I never liked the other Jewel Quest but this is a keeper I will play many times. I love the assortment of characters, excellent tutorial before I had trouble understanding. I LOVE the storyline and eager to save the Brother. I LOVE the sense of humor friendly teasing of each other. I bought the game before demo was finished. Looking forward to more games like this in Jewel quest. I just finished a new board "path finder" WOW this was so much fun. The assortment of Characters to help you on the board is really nice touch. Excellent Voice overs I LOVE that it is all through the game, oh I hate when I think a game has voice all through the game and it is only at the beginning. There is only one thing that could make this better and that is animation in the Cartoon style graphics. I LOVE the cartoon style graphics also, big,bold and colorful. No problem downloading or installing. Ok if you don't get the idea of the game for me it is a winner and just in case you didn't notice, I LOVE this game!

So.... can we take it then that you actually LOVE this game? LOL

I too am loving this game. And I do love the talk between the characters. At first I thought it gets a little too much in some places, but I got used to them quickly.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jan 7, 12 1:51 PM
I have tried this game but didn`t like it very much. Not much fun in my opinion. For me its a no buy.

[Post New]by Sushtina on Jan 7, 12 2:06 PM
Installed and played 1/2 of a scene...then .
This has to be one of the worst of the JQ series. I was to see how old (like JQ1) the board looked for such a new game. I was expecting an entire new look and especially new and different board pieces. Highly disappointed and uninstalled.

JQ Sleepless Star and The Seventh Gate were my two favorites of the latest in this series.

It was either The Emerald Tear or Midnight Heart that was terrible...can't remember which one, but it was too glitchy during the scrolling scenes to make it even worth playing.

Had higher expectations from the devs for the Dragon. Booooo.

polarglen
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by polarglen on Jan 7, 12 5:10 PM
I usually like match-3 games, but this one is boring, the how-to-play instructions time-consuming and unnecessary. No way I'll purchase this game.

gpj53
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by gpj53 on Jan 7, 12 6:03 PM
First game I ever bought was Jewel Quest 1 with no power ups whatsover but had lovely jewels on the game board (shame about all the others since) and I enjoy playing it occasionally for the challenge. I like the series M3s so this one looks a goodie - loathe the HOs, awful junk piles. Since I play Sleepless Star and Heritage Jewel Quests over and over I knew I would enjoy this one. I like that I can continue to skip the dialogue and it has relaxed mode in which I've tried it out, just as well as it's a bit confusing at times unlike the others. Confusing too with playing different characters, not sure about that at all. The improvement is being able to M3 whilst the board is still moving which was hugely frustrating in all the others, just got to get used to it and only because I just finished Sleepless Star last week and this is similar. Will try timed as I gain experience with game.

sdahldtp
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by sdahldtp on Jan 7, 12 8:22 PM
I have all the Jewel Quest games and thought this would be excellent as there was an untimed mode. But I ran into a board where you have to beat the little evil guy before he gets to the top, and I'm stuck! This board is definitely not what I'd term untimed and it's frustrating, not to mention raising my blood pressure trying to beat the thing and move onward. I believe Sleepless Star had an option where if you lost several times in a row you got the option of skipping it and moving forward. Wish they'd have thought of that with this game too.

I just skip the cartoony things, so they don't bother me.

Guess this game will just be shuffled to a corner to play when I'm feeling like beating my head against a wall one more time. Sigh!

**update: Ran into the little evil guy board again and got so frustrated I did an internet search to see if anyone had any hints. Surprise, you match the 3 tokens, which adds an "evasion" (lower left corner), and you can click on evasion then the little evil guy, which sends him back to the bottom. So the board is winnable.

Sure wish the developers would have added more help or explanations for these features!

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 10:12:43 AM PST

wini1
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by wini1 on Jan 7, 12 11:23 PM
I didn't like this game as well as the other jewel quest. Seemed like there was just to much other stuff going on and not enough game play. I MIGHT buy it on DD but not now.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 7, 12 11:53 PM
gpj53 wrote:Confusing too with playing different characters, not sure about that at all.

When you click on the i (info) at the bottom of each character, a page comes up, telling you the power ups you get with each person. They each have 3 different power ups. So when you play a board and say, you are running out of time, and you used a character that can give you more time, you just click on the "more time" words at the bottom left-hand corner of the screen. (Not sure if it says exactly "more time", but something like that).

The reason I am loving this game is because there is more to it than just playing one board after another. That is what gets me bored very quickly with M3 games. I like the "pause" in between each board.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 8, 12 12:11 PM
I'm also a diehard JQ junkie and will probably stop playing this series when they take the mouse out of my limp, dead fins. Like the new board styles; haven't played more than the hour demo yet but will give the developers kudos for always coming out with something new. Also like that you can start out in advanced mode right away as I'm very good at M3s and it took a while before I figured out how to make the previous game hard enough for me. (Thanks for not forgetting us while offering an untimed mode for those who prefer relaxed play!) The play action ran at about the same speed as Sleepless Star on my computer which means it's a bit slow for me but being able to keep making matches all the time sped things up a lot.

The storyline here is excessive IMO. There was a good deal of effort put into it and I appreciate the humor in parts of it, but having a lot of cutscenes to go through in between each board as well as each character having a journal of their own to look at is a bit much. I would have appreciated a new look to the jewels since they've been using the same ones since JQII or JQIII for all the sequels. Also seems like it might be easy to get lost or miss a board someplace because board groups open up in sections like in JQIII and don't have to be played in a linear fashion.

Lots of achievements to win along with the star ranking per board. So far I haven't been able to get more than 4 stars on anything that's not a tutorial so getting gold rank is going to be harder than the last game. Heads up to those who didn't like the evasion boards in Sleepless Star: They're back in this installment, sorry! Don't know if they slowed it down some for those playing in untimed mode, but if not, you're going to need a quick thinking/clicking strategy to win those even if you're playing without a timer.

Game action is a little strange. It took a couple tries before I figured out how to view a character's attributes and then pick the person for a board. Game also froze on me one time during the demo session and I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del to get out but I managed to reopen the game and play for another 30 minutes without further problems.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Jan 8, 12 2:04 PM
There are mixed reviews on this game in this forum, and because of that, I almost did not demo it myself, but glad I did.

I like all the Jewel Quest series, so I added this one into the collection. The graphics regarding the land pictures are nice, and I enjoy listening to the story dialogue as you proceed. Some very unique boards in this game, and as you progress, and there are some automatic timed boards as well, which I like for the added challenge. Not sure how many total levels are in the game, but hopefully a lot, just as there are in the others in the series. In demo mode, I'm still playing the easy boards, but hopefully soon they will become more challenging as they do with previous games in the Jewel Quest saga.

You can play in different charactor modes too.

from me.

[Post New]by OnWisconsin on Jan 8, 12 3:19 PM
Hi Jewel Quest Fans:

I own almost all of the J.Q games. I was looking forward to this one. I also thought that there would be more than just a story, I played the entire demo..There were a few interesting changes in the path to winning, but just not enough for me.

To [removed by moderator] designers and BFG: I do think that this game should be introduced as a game to new J. Quest players. It is a very simple and straightforward game.

BUT... Nothing special at all for JQ veterans! . I won't be buying it, and I think that I own all fo the others.

To me: BEST JEWEL QUEST GAME: J. Quest Heritage.
]For me it was an amazing challenge,
Sorry Team. Just not for me!

OnWI

Edited on 01/19/2012 at 12:09:49 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 8, 12 7:01 PM
I enjoyed the game. I like to play Match 3 games besides HOG's. I have a lot of the Jewel Quest games and this one is nice because you can play without a time limit, which I do like. I will buy this one as I like the game play and has a storyline and different characters. Good game..

[Post New]by Cynderbear on Jan 9, 12 12:19 AM
I am also a diehard Jewel Quest fan, so I bought this without even a demo, and I have to agree it's not up to the quality of the ones before. OnWisconsin has my vote for JewelQuest Heritage as well.

It is terrific to have an untimed mode, but you cannot get achievement stars beyond one for playing that way. I thank the devs for including it, but penalizing players for it? Not so sure about that.

The characters are uninteresting to me, and the storyline is not only annoying, but intrusive. Well, maybe it will get better as I go, but right now? Longing for a REAL Jewel Quest--as fast as possible.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jan 9, 12 9:20 AM
I also think Heritage was the best Jewel Quest, but this installment does get harder. Currently in the second section of the water region and although it's not as hard as JQH in expert mode was, overall it's definitely harder than Sleepless Star. The storyline *is* way too much and I'm starting to get a little tired of all the innuendos and the journals making the characters look like teenagers. I've spent as much time going through the journal entries and looking at the cutscenes as playing the actual boards just because I'm one of those who likes to check out everything a game has to offer at least once, but will be skipping all of that when I get to advanced mode. Wonder why the jewel boards are so small though.

Haven't been able to get more than 4 stars in normal mode. My guess is they want you to earn your gold rank by playing in advanced.

Aerosage
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by Aerosage on Jan 9, 12 11:38 PM
Sherryah wrote:
Valdy wrote:Well, I usually am bored with the JQ games, but I am loving this one.

I love the variety of the boards, which means I don't get bored as quickly as I usually do with M3 games.

And I am loving the fact that I can play this game in Relaxed Mode. A super plus for me. Wouldn't have bought this game otherwise.

The boards are fun, the colours are fresh, and I like the interaction from the characters - although there is a little too much of it at times.

Happy gaming, everyone.

I LOVE this Jewel Quest. In the past I have bought them and never finished the game I became bored. I LOVE the excellent voice overs and everything Valdy said in her review. The only thing I disagree on I LOVE the interaction and the more the better. For people that prefer the more boring skip the speech, we have relaxed mode which I really appreciate also. I never liked the other Jewel Quest but this is a keeper I will play many times. I love the assortment of characters, excellent tutorial before I had trouble understanding. I LOVE the storyline and eager to save the Brother. I LOVE the sense of humor friendly teasing of each other. I bought the game before demo was finished. Looking forward to more games like this in Jewel quest. I just finished a new board "path finder" WOW this was so much fun. The assortment of Characters to help you on the board is really nice touch. Excellent Voice overs I LOVE that it is all through the game, oh I hate when I think a game has voice all through the game and it is only at the beginning. There is only one thing that could make this better and that is animation in the Cartoon style graphics. I LOVE the cartoon style graphics also, big,bold and colorful. No problem downloading or installing. Ok if you don't get the idea of the game for me it is a winner and just in case you didn't notice, I LOVE this game!

I'm with you and Valdy, and the rest who appreciate the 'ins & outs' of this game. It is very well put together, and it sticks to what Jewel Quest does best (and that's M-3, period). Plus, it has a great story line with all kinds of comedic jabs from each of the characters. It's equipped with an Awards section as well as a Character-Journal section, which depicts each one of the team-member's 'personality'. At present I am only on the second level, but I have already had quite a few good laughs (that Tanya), and a lot of fun playing those Jewel Boards

[Post New]by forensicnut on Jan 11, 12 6:48 PM
I've played all the Jewel Quests and would ordinarily play trial version first before parting with my cash but this time I didn't. I went ahead and bought it outright. Big mistake! The game is a disappointment. I too feel the storyline comic book interruptions were too much to bear! & choosing a character???? This is a poor attempt I think at making a match game into an adventure game! Felt the graphics were a let down too.

Didn't like it, wont recommend it and quite frankly would like my money back!

Waazzaa
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by Waazzaa on Jan 11, 12 7:26 PM
forensicnut wrote:I've played all the Jewel Quests and would ordinarily play trial version first before parting with my cash but this time I didn't. I went ahead and bought it outright. Big mistake! The game is a disappointment. I too feel the storyline comic book interruptions were too much to bear! & choosing a character???? This is a poor attempt I think at making a match game into an adventure game! Felt the graphics were a let down too.

Didn't like it, wont recommend it and quite frankly would like my money back!

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said!!! I am soooo glad I tried it before buying!!! Really, I found it an incredible and annoying bore!!!!

Go to: