jenny1983
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
488 Posts

Re:Reviews for White Haven Mysteries Collector's Edition

[Post New]by jenny1983 on Jan 8, 12 6:08 AM
I liked what I played based on the demo, but I wish there weren't so many H0G's - they get tedious after a while.

Full screen on my old laptop.

But how bizarre that we can't mention the name of the developer of a game in a review forum about the developer's game. So what if the mention shows up in a search - it will only refer the searcher to this thread. Scratching my head

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Jan 8, 12 6:44 AM
I played the trial, and enjoyed the excellent graphics and scary "surprises." However, by the end of the trial I was bored of all the HOS. Way too many. It is a shame, because I think the developers put a lot of thought and care into this game. I really wanted to like it......

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jan 8, 12 7:28 AM
VALDY's review was perfect for this as usual

I think I will wait SE in this one. Here is my opinion for what it's worth

PROS:
2 difficulty modes
Fantastic voiceovers that you can play through. Clicking doesn't cut them off!
Hidden Object scenes are great but not interactive.One is very different
Great hint system that refills very quickly
Moves along very quickly
Best strategy guide I have ever used!

CONS:
Puzzles are few and to easy
Story is way over used. Another asylum adventure.
It seems a bit short for a CE.

Great game but I think I will wait for the SE on this one. Already have to many CE's on my wish list now

Vallarina
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by Vallarina on Jan 8, 12 7:40 AM
I have just finished the demo and thought the game was done well. The graphics, voice overs, music, and sound effects added a great demension to the game instead of interfering with game play. (I usually mute music during game play).
I believe I will purchase this game later today after I get some work done around the house. Then I can play the game this evening as a reward!
Thanks BFGs.
Keep you the great game play.
Vallarina

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jan 8, 12 7:51 AM
I never tire of the creepy and the scary, but I do tire of going from one H0 scene to another. There is no interaction in the H0 scenes but they are fairly clear.
The graphics are Ok, and the voiceovers are good, but somehow for me it's missing that certain "je ne sais quoi" that makes it a game that you want to keep playing. Will probably wait for the SE.

[Post New]by birdcatfish on Jan 8, 12 8:06 AM
I got to where you are supposed to get the cleaner from the holding cell. Used the screwdriver to unscrew the panel and fixed the pipe with the valve. Still cannot reach cleaner. So this is a no buy, considering I can't move forward without the cleaner. Makes me wonder how many more glitches are in the game.

Bad QC on this.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jan 8, 12 8:12 AM
I liked the game, I can't buy CE's but i will buy the SE when it comes out, I liked the music and the graphics, Loved the story line Thx DEV's and BF..another awesome game I do wish you would give of the choice of the CE or SE the same day..

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 8:12:58 AM PST

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Jan 8, 12 8:16 AM
birdcatfish wrote:I got to where you are supposed to get the cleaner from the holding cell. Used the screwdriver to unscrew the panel and fixed the pipe with the valve. Still cannot reach cleaner. So this is a no buy, considering I can't move forward without the cleaner. Makes me wonder how many more glitches are in the game.

Bad QC on this.

No glitch there. From what you wrote.....you're missing some steps to get the cleaner.

bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Jan 8, 12 8:39 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm just popping in to remind you this thread is strictly for reviews only. Any off topic comments after this post will be removed to keep the thread on topic.

Please PM any member of the moderation team if you have any questions.

Thank you!
bfgKenai

indigobuni
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by indigobuni on Jan 8, 12 8:43 AM
I'll probably wait until the SE edition comes out. Good game, but tyipcal storyline.

[removed by moderator]

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 2:43:30 PM PST

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jan 8, 12 8:59 AM
Review thus far playing demo:

The graphics are sharp and the H0 scenes aren't difficult. The red phone is a new "twist"! I haven't found too many puzzles yet and the difficulty isn't too challenging. I turned the speakers on for a minute to hear the little girl's voice and it just doesn't seem to "fit" with what seems to be her age. Otherwise - no speakers on as I normally don't use them. There is just a bit of "lag" when closing the boxes after a H0 scene item is collected but not annoyingly so. I don't remember being able to click through the dialog and I do like to be able to do that. I did find that after finishing a particular scene or area I couldn't go back and that is helpful if one doesn't like wandering back and forth. The journal keeps notes one picks up and reads and has a "task" list to let us know something still needs to be done in an area. No map but I don't think one will be needed in this game. I looked at the SG to see if there was a way to find how far I'd gotten in the game in the amount of time I had played but couldn't really tell. I don't usually use a SG unless I get absolutely and totally stuck, then I check the forum because someone is usually there to help me get "unstuck".

I know I want this game but don't think I'll get the CE just yet.

[Post New]by SacredLites on Jan 8, 12 9:02 AM
I'm downloading the full version as I write because I became engrossed in this story from the onset. Yes, I've played many a storyline of car crashes and mental hospitals when it comes to HOGS but so far I've been intrigued by this one, guess I'm in the mood for it. I was flabber-ghasted by that phone! Threw my eyes into cross eyed mode..lol! I'm grateful to the critics that keep these devs on their toes to be more creative and thinking outside of the box so keep it up fishies! Make just to keep an eye on that journal so you know what needs to be done in this game which is always helpful.
I personally only started playing HOGS because the time management games became boring and I'm afraid that it's becoming the same with this genre as well. Maybe I'll just have to go back to some of my older word games and challenge my mind before I come back to playing some of any of these games, we'll see. Have a great year and be kind to one another, it may be your last chance!

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 9:04:39 AM PST

[Post New]by SacredLites on Jan 8, 12 9:11 AM

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 2:42:23 PM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Jan 8, 12 9:13 AM

I played the whole game plus the bonus. As far as I could tell they both ended the same way. Made by starts with a "G and ends with an i", so you know you will get a good game. The hint refills fairly quickly and I didn’t have any trouble with the puzzles except as far as I knew there was no information as to what you should do in each game, but I just started clicking and it became pretty apparent. There was certainly no doubt as to what object you acquired. I think I prefer just looking at the object once it is in my inventory, as long as it is has a name I’m happy. I noticed that the game play was a little sluggish and slow and some items were hard to pick up. The hidden objects scenes were not interractive but I found this refreshing after all the games that have been using that lately, it becomes a chore to get through the scene. The story was intriguing and playing in the dark with the sound up was freighting and I found I could not do that for long so I turned the sound off so I could concentrate on the game. I like a game where when I enter each scene I find all the puzzles that I need to solve in order to complete the room. I like having some indication that the room is done, but no sparkles anywhere takes care of that pretty well. Good game.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 8, 12 9:35 AM
I played the demo, the game seems interesting but I found myself kind of getting tire of trying to find objects in the HOS, plenty of those that is for sure.

I played in easy mode no that will make a difference at all.

The story line is just your typical psychological triller, the game has mystery but is not as scary at least to me.

Overall if you like a game full of HOS this game is just for you.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jan 8, 12 10:19 AM
I played the demo from the dev, but knew it was coming out here today, so kept slapping my hand away from the buy button...and I guess the reason we cannot mention the developer is because they also sell their games separately from BF.
So by waiting a couple of days, I not only get the lower price, but also the credits toward pcc. Which makes it worth it to me.

I like hos, and this game does have plenty of them. I enjoy them. It is an interesting, and scary game. Again, I like these themes. Graphics are good, sound effects, and music are good too. Oh, yes, the SG is one of the best. I am turning out the lights now, and waiting for the rain, and I am going to immerse myself in the atmosphere. I expect to have a great time with the experience

gks1951
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by gks1951 on Jan 8, 12 11:23 AM
I have to disagree, the developers if i am right, are not very good.Just one that i know I enjoyed and that was Escape the Museum 2.Other than that they are terrible games.Can't get into them.No feelings, dead in the water games for me any way.

Happy gaming fishes.

Krissy41
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by Krissy41 on Jan 8, 12 11:48 AM
belamba wrote:Having played (and enjoyed) the trial hour, I couldn't wait to buy this game. But from that point on, it was downhill all the way.
The CE bonus chapter, as is only too common in these games, was made up of far too many HOG scenes.
Felt for a CE the HOG scenes could have been more than a junk pile too! When one's life is in danger, it's not the time for scouring cupboards for golf balls (and in this game), an ice cream. And how did a shrimp make its way into a medical cupboard?
HOG scenes started off with smaller items, but as time went by the items seemed to grow so finding things was very easy.
Puzzles were dreary and pointless. And too many 'would be' puzzles weren't puzzles at all.
CE ended with a matching pairs game...not even a very well thought out one.
I just got the impression that this game started off with a lot of care and fine tuning, but progressed into something that was thrown together.
The graphics were good, the music fitting. I played advanced mode and the hint system excellent.
Towards the end I just wanted the game to be over.
Think it ok for a beginner to these genre of games, but of late we've had games that are far superior to this one.
When I see (Removed by moderator) I usually get something special. But this one was a bit of a damp squib!

I couldn't agree more I was really excited about this game too and purchased it only to be very disappointed afterwards. The HOG was total junkpiles and nothing made much sense beyond the trial period (purchase). I SO wish I would have waited for the SE to come out. I feel like I just waisted $13.99 on this game. There have been alot better SE's than this CE!

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jan 8, 12 11:50 AM
The mechanics of this game are excellent, but unfortunately I found it tedious. It's like I always say, you cannot get the "feel" of a game from the 1 hr demo. Some fishies have disputed this, but this game is a case in point. I liked the demo so bought it in eager anticipation. It didn't take long for me to realise the demo did not represent the rest of the game.

I wasn't too bothered by the story, that was OK, but the puzzles, graphics and HOS (oh, those dozens and dozens of HOS!) were poor.

The entire game consisted of 2 locations - the hospital and the garden. There was another location in the BC sure enough, but that was it. I got so fed up with that garden. I kept waiting for it to finish, thinking it would move on to a new location, but it never happened.

I got the impression this game was created by rookie devs, given it to cut their teeth on.

There really wasn't anything interesting or enjoyable about this game and I was relieved to finish it.

I found nothing scary about it. Wish I had. Maybe then I wouldn't have been so bored.

Edited on 01/08/2012 at 11:57:33 AM PST

poggyapoo
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by poggyapoo on Jan 8, 12 11:53 AM
Well after playing the demo..........I bought it! I did find the game far too easy though (and I played in Hard Mode), and there were far too many HOG scenes. In one HOG I had to find the "bandage"........which was a "sticking plaster", in another HOG I had to find the bandage..........which this time was....a "bandage"!! The storyline I found rather familiar, and the ending was well, erm, very sudden and a case of "what just happened??"

After playing this game I now feel a total nutcase! Quick fetch me the straightjacket!!

Go to: