ritchieprod
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Golden Years: Way Out West

[Post New]by ritchieprod on Jan 11, 12 4:46 PM
I enjoy this type of game as a nice change of pace. Unfortunately, this one isn't up to the Royal Envoy or My Kingdom for the Princess standard. The instructions weren't clear enough to me. If you need a water tower next to every house (a little silly), then say so in the beginning. I had to dynamite and rebuild a lot which is frustrating. Why can people only shop at a store on the same street? No buy for me.

mom68
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by mom68 on Jan 11, 12 4:53 PM
First of all, I would love to say I loved the game, but the tutorial didn't explain several things:

1. You need to be careful about where you place your water towers/sources. If you place these in the wrong building slots, then you won't be able to build more homes.

2. How do you upgrade your home to increase residents? I had to start and restart levels just to figure that one out.

3. How do you sell gold when you need wood and you can't build a sawmill because there is no other slot to build on?

4. The Trading Post is supposed to be the place where you can buy and sell gold and wood. However, what if a goal is to sell more gold and you don't have enough wood? How can you mine for more gold when you don't have enough wood?

For me, this game just failed on so many levels. I love TM games and just was left feeling frustrated that the game made no sense. And I love new games. Someone asked if this game was anything like Royal Envoy. I'd definitely say/type "No!" Royal Envoy was clever, made sense, and was enjoyable. This game didn't even begin to meet those expectations.

Overall, this is a no buy for me.

Happy Gaming, Fishes!

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jan 11, 12 4:58 PM
Oh they got me!

I was going to wait to buy in case we get bonus punch weekend or sale, but no can do! I am enjoying it too much and want to see what's next. That resolve isn't helped by seeing threads about later levels because I am keen to reach them and see for myself.

Things to love: Overall - the very original feel .

It makes a difference where you build things, not just how many you build, and there is flexibility in, for example, how you reach population targets and so on, as well as in whether you work for or buy, or even sell, resources.

When I reached stage 1 of the first multi stage level and it told me exactly what to do (2 steps), I was worried that it would be a deal breaker because I don't want to be led by the nose, but that was just the first (brief) stage. After that I had some freedom again to do things my own way and I like the idea of the different stages: I like trying to second guess what I will need next and trying to stock up resources, upgrade homes or buy more workers that I may need for the next stage, while working on the current one.

Some players will appreciate not having to make all 3 or 4 time targets of a level to make expert. For me it makes no difference because, due to my playing nature, I will play the same level again until I can get all of them before moving on anyway (Cstdenis, could you be my long lost twin? ).

Only things not to love for me are a couple of the sounds and I only notice them occasionally, such as one level where I was trying to do a few things one after another not realising some were inaccessible and some I couldn't afford. I got several of those grunts in a row (the noise that means you can't do that). Occasionally I am aware of the knocking sound several times in a row and could do without that but, again, most of the time I don't notice it.

This game & the recent Vampires v. Zombies from the same dev, which I am still playing, remind me why this developer has been one of my favourites for a good while now. Long may they keep producing such great games!

I have read that this game has a lot fewer levels than V v. Z but that one is taking me so long to get gold on each level that this game, where I expect to be able to move on at something more like my usual pace, will be nice to alternate with it.

I'm off to spend a credit on this

(Denis, the thread 'water towers' will tell you how to see the potential area covered, before building).

Edited on 01/11/2012 at 5:16:27 PM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jan 11, 12 5:09 PM
Forgot to mention that although you can't chain instructions and do have to have the right number of workers free before you click on a task...........
............you don't have to wait until the workers get back to the town hall before you give them another job (ETA unless they are carrying something back to there). Being on their way back to the town hall (ETA if empty-handed) counts as being available for work.

ETA Something this game does differently is that the amount of wood you can make in one go in the sawmill doesn't just depend on how much money you have. It also depends on how many free workers you have.

Edited on 01/12/2012 at 5:39:12 PM PST

[Post New]by Razi7874 on Jan 11, 12 5:33 PM
Hey everyone,

I am a big time player of time management and strategy games. So I gotta say this game does get a little harder at each level. Overall not a a bad game. if you want a challenge keep playing lol.. It gets harder..

I should know I got expert til level 16. Kinda stump of where to put the inns along with the saloon and general store to get the 60 people for each commercial building.Eventually I will figure it out..

For those on the glowing parts for assistance.. Try the commercial buildings they light up. Poor water towers are only good for the buildings next to them.

So being half way in the game.. I am not disappointed at all.. I bought the game cause I do so love a good challenge.

Off to go back into the game..

Thanks Big Fish of another challenge!!!

Warfield
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Warfield on Jan 11, 12 9:04 PM
I really like this game. It is hard, and I had to come back to the forum and read to realize some things that the (help), no help in game really, that everything depends on how close you build things to commercial buildings. Seems obvious once you're told about it, but it was not obvious to me. Once I was clued in, the game became a lot of fun. I enjoyed getting the sheriff drunk and I love trying to get crowds into the saloon. It's a puzzle game as well as a building game. I've been stuck for a while on Level 16, and I see there is a clue about it, but I am determined to keep trying for a bit longer. If that silly blond in the game can do it, I'm sure I can. (She actually believed the architect and the sheriff!)

wndf
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by wndf on Jan 12, 12 1:18 PM
Being the TM/Strategy fan that I am, but even a bigger Westward Series fan; my attention was drawn by this game by its first appearance. I was a bit disappointed when I saw it has nothing to do with the WW Series, but still - as said before - the TM aspect is enough for my to try. In the end I bought it for a game credit and I am not sorry, however, this game has absolutely no replay value for me.

+ Nice graphics

but...

- too easy for a hardcore TM-player (and no difficulty levels to choose from);
- too many interruptions (the conversations, the tutorials);
- hardly any strategy needed at all;
- boring story line;
- little variety in levels/buildings/strategy/landscapes.

All in all nice game for people who like TM without the pressure of T and perhaps even without the M, really. For me: nah.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jan 12, 12 4:26 PM
simlady40 wrote:Hi

Is it just me but how come i cannot get past the 2nd level? How do you get up to 12,000??? I have built the water towers and upgraded the wagons to 3 star but cannot build anything else there is nowhere to build so how do i get the 12,000 to complete the level??

Thanks

This is a stupid game. It tells me to build so many covered wagons but it won't let me hire workers and it won't let me build anything but sawmills.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jan 12, 12 5:35 PM
Cottoncandy, the game tells you that you can only build homes near water towers.

What it doesn't tell you is that, if you pick a building site and hover over the water tower button, you'll see a blue loop showing which sites you will be able to build homes on if you build the water tower there.

To get to the water tower button, click on a building site, then click on the button at the bottom right of the screen with what looks like a sheriff's star on it (municipal buildings).

Edited on 01/12/2012 at 5:56:01 PM PST

MsHamster
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by MsHamster on Jan 14, 12 10:49 AM
Enjoyed the demo - glad to hear that it gets more challenging in the later levels.
Just might have to buy this one

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jan 14, 12 6:08 PM
Daisy_May wrote:Cottoncandy, the game tells you that you can only build homes near water towers.

What it doesn't tell you is that, if you pick a building site and hover over the water tower button, you'll see a blue loop showing which sites you will be able to build homes on if you build the water tower there.

To get to the water tower button, click on a building site, then click on the button at the bottom right of the screen with what looks like a sheriff's star on it (municipal buildings).

It won't let me build a water tower -- only sawmills

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jan 14, 12 6:57 PM
Cottoncandy I'd be happy to try to help you figure it out if you are interested in persevering with the game but probably should take it to another thread.

If you want to raise a new thread about it, I'll try to help you (& others may join in too ). My first question would be to check that you remember that the water tower button is not in the same bit of the menu as the sawmill.

If you are already aware that it's in the part of the build menu reached via the button with the sheriff's badge picture on it and is the leftmost button of three in there, then my next question would be ..... what happens when you have picked a building site and clicked on that water tower button?

ETA oops - I already reminded you where the water tower button is a couple of days ago - sorry! So.........forgetting the first question ............ - what happens when you try it?

If you get the little pictures above the water tower button showing that you need $1000 and 2 available workers, is either the 1000 or the 2 in red? That would mean you didn't have enough of that resource to build a water tower at the time.

(But the sawmill needs even more money and still needs 2 workers so, if you could build that, you should have what you need for a water tower).

There is one level (5 I think) where the tutorial insists on you building a sawmill in your first empty site. That's not what you mean is it?

& which level are you trying to play?

Edited on 01/14/2012 at 7:17:21 PM PST

mudfarmer
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by mudfarmer on Jan 15, 12 3:30 PM
I like that the different types of buildings need to be placed so that they support each other, as that adds an extra bit of strategy to many of the levels. However once I got the hang of that, I found the game fairly easy and short. Also there are fewer 'expert time' rewards then levels, so I was fully upgraded well before the end of the game.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Jan 16, 12 1:10 PM
This is a good TM game, and I love the western theme to it... not too many of those around. The graphics are nice/cute, and just challenging enough to feel I'm getting my monies worth on this one. If too easy, and I breeze through it too fast, I feel ripped off... lol. I have to admit too, I got stumped on an early level, but finally managed to figure it out, and looking forward to more challenges along the way.

All in all... a good TM. I was always primarily a HOG adventure gamer, but admit, TM's are my new fav. as well.

Edited on 01/16/2012 at 1:13:04 PM PST

[Post New]by sallen22 on Jan 16, 12 9:49 PM
how do you get the cages to capture the coyotes

[Post New]by sallen22 on Jan 16, 12 9:49 PM
how do you get the cages to capture the coyotes

[Post New]by sickandsexy on Jan 17, 12 4:15 AM
level 20 have 3 motels, but can not get the cages

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jan 17, 12 7:47 AM
Sallen, welcome to the pond (I mean, to starting posting).
Try this link: http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/194953.page
(S&S - I'm not ignoring you. I just know you found it now).

Just so you both know, this is the review thread and there are other places in the forum to get help. I didn't want to leave someone's 1st ever help Q unanswered but didn't want to answer without pointing this out.
-------------
While I'm at it could I please make a plea to anyone looking for help to check the existing threads to see if there is one for your level before making a new one. The more duplicate threads get started, the less likely it is that the next person will find the original thread. They'll make a new one of their own and on it goes.

There are 2 ways to look - casting an eye down the thread titles (and realising that there are multiple pages) or using the advanced search and narrowing the search down to this forum.

Review-wise:
I'm about 2/3 of the way through and still recommend it

It may seem from reading some of the help answers that sometimes you have to let the game tell you exactly what to do, but that's just for the little steps of some extra story-related tasks that carry across stages. The main goals can be reached in different ways in later levels.

Trying to get all the stars is the best bit for me . I have been getting expert rewards mostly on the 1st or 2nd play, but that's because you only have to get some of the stars for expert.

I love the variety in difficulty: Some levels don't take me many goes to get all stars, some are middling but there have been a couple which I have had to play over and over (one of which I may still have been trying if it weren't for a couple of useful tips from the forum).

Things are related: You can't just throw money at workers because, after 3, you need a growing population to provide them. The amount you can produce (in one go) at a sawmill or mine depends on how many workers you can spare, not just on money.... and so on.

You can buy/sell gold or wood at the train but only 1 transaction (buy or sell, gold or wood, not both) each time the train arrives. That needs to be taken into account in strategy too.

A couple of levels got me analysing productivity and timings , which reminded me fondly of playing/discussing WWIV. But you don't have to be analytical if you don't want to - trying things out works too .

Edited on 01/17/2012 at 8:06:31 AM PST

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Jan 17, 12 9:37 AM
Enjoyable game, and a nice level of difficulty for me. Sometimes I have to restart the level as I haven't figured something out I should have, but I don't mind that. Good graphics and I like that you don't have to wait until they all get back to the house before you send them out on another task.
Best game from BF in ages (although there have been many bad ones, IMO).

****************************************************************************************************

[Post New]by thenam on Jan 30, 12 5:26 AM
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************Any************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************chance************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************anyone************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************knows************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************where************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************to************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************get************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************the************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************Wolframium************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************from************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************on************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************level************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************32************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ta************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Go to: