nance91947
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts

[Post New]by nance91947 on Jan 18, 12 10:44 PM
Thanks BFG for offering us a wonderfully entertaining, innovative game!!! Really enjoy a game that doesn't need a walk through for the areas where one may become stumped--their hint button leads you to whatever area you need to explore. Plus, I like that the developers show you "area clear" -- such a helpful thing! Enjoyed the twist of the game having a "real realm" and the "ghost realm" in rooms! And you get to hide items and find them again in the other realm. True, there's some trekking back and forth but it's not so much so it deters from your interest of the game's progress. The ending seems to indicate there will be a sequel--yeah!! If you've not tried "Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts" you should give it a try--for you won't be disappointed!

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Jan 20, 12 4:39 AM
This game reminded me a lot of Mystery of Mortlake Mansion. I played that game when it came out about a year ago and enjoyed it. I only played the demo for Haunted Past, and I am on the fence about buying it. Although I liked traveling between the ghost world and human world, and hiding items, I think this could get boring after a while. In Mortlake Mansion you also accomplish tasks by traveling between the human and ghost worlds, hence why I think these games are rather similar. Maybe I will just play Mortlake Mansion again instead of buying this game. People who liked Mortlake Mansion might like this game as well because of the similar plots, but for me, having one game with this kind of plot might be enough.

Gill_R
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Gill_R on Jan 22, 12 8:44 AM
I've just played the hour's demo and will definitely be buying this game when I start a new PC next month.

I thought the graphics were superb. Yes, they're dark - which fits the theme - but beautifully done and I found them suitably clear. So much to look at and enjoy in each scene. While the "Area Cleared" notifications were great to avoid fruitless searches, I found I still lingered in some of the rooms just to enjoy those gorgeous scenes.

IMO, the presentation of the SG was fine. OK, so maybe it meant two clicks instead of one, but I would much rather have that that find myself accidentally seeing more than I wanted to to at any particular moment.

I also enjoyed the HOG scenes, the items were hidden in plain sight and none of them were fudged.

Loved the customisation available, although sometimes the sparklies were a tad OTT. But then, sometimes I just want to play a game for fun & relaxation and not have to over-tax my remaining brain cells so a few extra sparklies is a small price to pay.

I rarely have the music on and NEVER the voices, so can't comment on those.

JamieJBD
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by JamieJBD on Jan 31, 12 11:04 AM
Liked this game a lot!

emery419
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by emery419 on Feb 25, 12 1:14 PM
I liked the game when I did the free trial, so I purchased it. I started over with a new profile, since I tend to skip mini-games and use more hints when doing a trial so I don't waste too much time. But the game was under 3 hours; I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth unless a game is at least 4 hours; 5 or 6 is even better. Also, as I got further into the game, the audio started freezing for several seconds at a time. If you like this game, I would recommend purchasing this game with a credit or punch card, since it is so short and somewhat glitchy. Too bad, too, since it was rather interesting. The ending was somewhat abrupt, also. Don't know about the CE, since I don't buy them.

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Apr 9, 12 8:57 AM
Tried the demo and bought the game. This review is after playing the whole game.

I found it both entertaining and imaginative all the way through. It seemed quite different to most run of the mill hidden object games which tend to get rather boring after a while.

There were plenty of scenes to explore - twice! - although the second time was in a totally different context so nothing was repetitive.

A very well thought out and put together game. I recommend it and hope there is a sequel. The ending appears to indicate that the door has been left open for many adventures of a similar genre by this "heroine".

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 13, 12 1:42 AM
This is exactly my kind of game! I love it and it's a definite buy for me!!

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Aug 25, 12 1:02 AM
This seems to be exactly what I've been looking for! A creepy ghost story - hooray!

I didn't even finish the trial before deciding to buy. I love the concept of traveling back in time. I think whomever came up with the idea for this game has a vivid imagination. I like the graphics, I like the hints, so far I like everything. The only reason I stopped playing was because I want to purchase the game and begin again.

And no cursor dance during HOS!

Rosa96
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Rosa96 on Sep 23, 12 9:24 AM
Awesome game! I had a lot of fun with this one! It was a bit easy for experts, but just perfect for me! Way to go BF!

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Jan 15, 13 4:02 PM
I really liked this game. It was quite different in some ways from your normal versions.....meaning you were going from one realm into another to get info and things that you needed to complete an area. I hope I'm not giving too much away, the difference was quite refreshing!! Why is it that everytime I click on "play" for a game, my game manager says come back soon. I don't like the new page for my BFG page. I always have to click on PC games to see what games are new...a feature that I TOTALLY don't like how about not trying to fix what isn't broken BF!! Other than those two gripes I still think BFG rocks...thanks for this nice game

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Jan 21, 13 8:05 PM
I thought this game was AWESOME and I only bought the SE. First off, I always tend to like games with a darker content, but that's just me. Loved the story line and BEWARE SPOILER: Switching realms was fun in this game. I played a different game, which I won't mention here, pretty much the same concept, however this game delivered in such a better way. The only thing that hung me up was the Spirit of Incense, but I did eventually get it after a few minutes. I actually found myself rushing through the HOS, just so I could find out what was next. I think the best thing in this game is whenever you are "finished" doing what you have to do, or find in a particular area, the top portion lets you know "Area cleared", so there really isn't any guess work wondering if you did everything, which in my opinion stops the running from here to there trying to find things. I really enjoyed this game and finished in about a couple of hours. Oh, and it had a great ending, which would allow for a sequel. It's not a very intense game, so it still allows you to play, have fun, and not get hung up on puzzles, or other various complications. So while "advanced" players may not like it, I considered it a nice break in between those advanced games where you are hunting for the handle to the hatchet you need to cut the branches off this huge tree, just to get to the other side of who knows where?!? Ha Ha Ha

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Jan 31, 13 4:35 PM
Finished. You don't really need a walkthrough as the hints help, but if need one do a web search there's one out there.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on May 29, 13 12:54 PM
I had this one sitting in my game manager for awhile before getting around to play it. After reading the reviews about the easy HOs, I wondered if people noticed that an option for the custom game mode included if you wanted easy of difficult HO scenes. I love HOs. and I am usually pretty good at them, so I chose the difficult option. Boy were they difficult! I tried to get through the whole game without using a hint, but I did have to use one hint for an object simply because it was obscured by the task bar. That is my one and only complaint about the game is that the task bar comes up at the top of th scene making it difficult to see objects at the top. Either don't place objects there, or stop making the bar appear every time the cursor comes near it. Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed the game.

As for the brightness of the ghost realm, to me it was totally appropriate to the game, giving it that ethereal ghostly feeling. The ending hints that a sequel will be coming, and I will most likely be buying. I love that the devs here have tried to do something a bit different..

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 25, 13 12:54 AM
Truly Creative Use of an Old Gimmick

BASED ON ONE HOUR DEMO - TWICE

Having completed the trial version twice (did CE as well), I'm still not 100% clear as to how the game will play, but it has this to recommend it.

The story is based around a spooky deserted mansion, with that also-now-familiar twist of a shadow world behind the real one. What makes this one original and interesting is the uses that you can make travelling back and forth through the rooms, hiding objects in the 'then' and digging them up in the 'now'.

The music and sound are both great and the atmosphere is suitably gloomy. My biggest reservation about this game is the graphics - there are plenty of HO scenes, well drawn with very interesting use of brightness in the 'shadow' world, but all scenes are close to monochromatic, at least in the demo. That puts me off a bit. I like colourful games.

The gameplay itself seemed fairly standard, and I enjoyed being able to work the puzzles myself - no skips in this one so far, and I finished the trial in just under an hour, which I take as promising 4-5 hours. Oh, and hint is really really quick, so if you must use it, at least you won't be stalled for long.

In all, not a game on my 'must have or I'll die' list, but definitely on my 'punchcard weekend' list.

I recommend this game!

Go to: