shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

Re:Comments for "Sea Legends: Phantasmal Light CE"

[Post New]by shagwendy on Jan 15, 12 8:04 AM
Quoted from review thread, bolding is mine

[Post New]by sartasia on Jan 15, 12 7:25 AM

Bpup wrote:I did some research. Shamangames Studio is based in Kiev, Ukraine and just entered the casual games market in 2010. They have another game available on BF, Robin's Island Adventure, which is a M3 game. Sea Legends: Phantasmal Light seems to be their first HOPA game. I couldn't find out if its director, Maxim Golubenko, had any connection with ERS. Would have to check through the credits of past ERS games for that, I guess.

Just wanted to add...Their previous game was a game for Mac only.
Robin's Island Adventure was for PC also, I did the beta and I remember the reviews when it came out, definitely PC, a lot like Cave Quest.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jan 15, 12 8:07 AM
I just got frustrated with this game . The hiddon objects were a mess and mostly hard to find, for me. The part of the game I did play didn't interest me because it's another "missig" and have to find them sl. I have had enough of hogs and missing sl games for now.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jan 15, 12 8:15 AM
I must be the odd person out here because I'm enjoying this game. The H0 scenes make you think a bit as does how to use the objects you find. It's not just cut and dried find an object/ use an object, you have to pay attention. I did get stuck once entering the graveyard where the game froze but I just pressed Esc and went back in and it was fine after that.

I haven't used the SG yet, that's a last resort for me but I did use one hint and it went to an object that I had clicked on and it hadn't responded. I don't know that I'll buy the CE because I think it's kind of lame to pay an extra $6 or $7 or whatever for maybe 45 min to an hour of extra game play when the original game itself is the same price.

Edited on 01/16/2012 at 12:54:49 PM PST

obrien60
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by obrien60 on Jan 15, 12 8:34 AM
This comment covers my feelings and thoughts so well! Thanks for writing it...
*hands over a tissue* There you go. Don't cry too much or your eyes will get so puffy, you won't be able to see the game in front of you.

You know, about a year ago, I would have bought the CE of this game without a second thought. I think that over the last 6 months I have been so spoilt with such great and entertaining games, that I no longer appreciate the fantastic HOGs we are getting nowadays.

I remember when I first bought HOGs, and the ones I remember best were the "Big City Adventure" games (San Francisco & Sydney, Australia).

The HOGs in those days came only in timed mode. And all you got was static pictures in which to find hidden objects, with a little simple puzzle after each level. And boy, was I happy with those games - at that time.

And just look how far we (or rather the developers) have come with HOGs. They are no longer just the simple find & seek games we used to get, but are top quality, with great graphics (most of the time), puzzles, animation, voice-over, cut-scenes, real live people even in some games, and so much more.

So yes, I think I have been so spoilt that I feel rather sad about the way I sometimes react to great games - such as this one - because they are really great games, considering they are not adventure games you get in the shops for 40 or 50 quit or thereabout, but they are "little" games, which have developed into something awesome, and can be bought for under a tenner.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 15, 12 9:29 AM
obrien60 wrote:This comment covers my feelings and thoughts so well! Thanks for writing it...
*hands over a tissue* There you go. Don't cry too much or your eyes will get so puffy, you won't be able to see the game in front of you.

You are welcome, obrien. We just have to stop sometimes and look back at the "good old days" when HOGs were just simple seek & find games, and then we might just appreciate the HOGs we are getting nowadays so much more.

In fact, I love most of the games that come out as CEs. I buy 99% of them. I just don't want to buy the game as a CE, but rather wait for the SE, because most of the time I am very disappointed with the very short and often irrelevant and disappointing bonus games.

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Jan 15, 12 9:36 AM
Another dark, dreary game. Maybe I'll consider it if it comes down to $2.99. Otherwise, I don't even it want to play the demo. It's too bad that the game is another gloomy one because when I looked at the video, the minigames looked interesting. I wouldn't mind so much if the scenes were brighter. Why can't the sun ever shine in these games.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 15, 12 9:48 AM
Dialogue wrote:Why can't the sun ever shine in these games.

You know, I love environments of games where the sun never shines. I love it when it rains and storms continuously. I love those games. I just don't like it when there are non-stop lightning flashes - that hurts my eyes.

But then, I love this kind of weather in real life as well. Just goes to show how different we all are.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

Comments for "Sea Legends: Phantasmal Light CE"

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jan 15, 12 10:35 AM
Valdy wrote:I copied the following review from the "Reviews" thread, because I wanted to response, but it's not a review response...

tuttepeever wrote:This has to be one of the most uninspired games I have played for a long time. It's just a long slog of having to depend on the SG which takes you back to the beginning every time. The grapics aren't great nor the story line. The only reason I would continue to play is because I have nothing better to do. I own a multitude of games and would prefer a repeat play of those compared to this one.

Would never consider buying this one. I do wonder what is happening with Games today in that we have become so dependent on the SG to help us wade our way through all the to and fros. The old games were much better.

This one is a huge waste of time.

So, are you saying that the game was too difficult for you to manage without having to resort to the SG? I am just wondering, because your review suggests to me that you were bored with the game, i.e. it was too easy for you?

To 99% I never use the SG, and didn't need to use it in the hour I played this game either. However, I didn't think the game was too easy. It had me thinking a few times, but I don't like to resort to the SG right away, but rather try and solve something myself - it's more fun that way.

Sorry to hear you didn't like this game at all.

Gotta agree with you, Valdy--I can't make up my mind, either, that this reviewer was (1) totally reliant on the SG (demo only, I presume), or (2) totally frustrated with a game not to his/her liking. I've personally never played a game (this one included) where I've had to "slog" or "wade" through an SG or become "dependent" on one. (I do agree, though, that no bookmarking isn't good).

I spent some $ today, and I plan on enjoying this game as best as I can. The quoted reviewer has saved some $ today, apparently.

Regards, elldee

jenny1983
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
488 Posts

[Post New]by jenny1983 on Jan 15, 12 10:38 AM
Dialogue wrote:Why can't the sun ever shine in these games.

I agree. It's a cold, rainy, snowy winter for many of us and I would much rather look at a sunny tropical location than the same ugly weather I see outside my window.

I keep hoping for a game without rain/snow/darkness to brighten my mood

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Comments for "Sea Legends: Phantasmal Light CE"

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 15, 12 11:07 AM
elldee2728 wrote:I've personally never played a game (this one included) where I've had to "slog" or "wade" through an SG or become "dependent" on one. (I do agree, though, that no bookmarking isn't good).

Regards, elldee

Me neither. And frankly, if I felt that I needed to "slog" and "wade" through a walkthrough (SG), in order to get on with the game, then I might as well not bother at all.

I used to "slog" and "wade" through walkthroughs of adventure games way back when... But it was never fun, so I stopped playing adventures games because, even though I liked them (and still do), I just can't do them without having to "slog" and "wade" through a walkthrough in order to get to the next part of a game. LOL

ETA: Oh, and yes, they should have made it so the SG stays where you are or at least where you were last. But then again, I don't mind the way this SG is done, because I won't be needing it to "slog" and "wade" through it - can do the game just fine without slogging and wading.

Edited on 01/15/2012 at 11:09:22 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 15, 12 1:53 PM
I must be missing something. To me this game is not worth the price and obviously the result of a new developer. Can't even come close to ERS games. The storyline is interesting, but on my computer,(I play many of these games weekly), the graphics are grainy. Also tired of the games from the Ukraine presenting the most depressing slum conditions. Geesh! Why can't the scenes reflect some beauty. Every one of the games take place in slums. Tired of this as well.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jan 15, 12 4:38 PM
This was a long game...even stopping to deal with puppy and grands, it still took me hours. I only used the SG a couple of times, and I knew where I needed to go, so it wasn't bad at all. I had to think a bit at times, but not to the point of slogging, lol. I didn't think there were too many hos, and I liked the little twist at the end of the bonus game. I liked too that we finally got to see things from the eyes of the rescued. I only had to skip a couple of puzzles, and feel I could have figured them out, but I needed to finish it, lol. Have a book I started last night, and I want to get back to it. They did leave this one open for a sequel, and I would buy it, but given the negative feedback on yet another game, it is doubtful one will be coming anytime soon. Well, I enjoyed it anyway. And the length made the price worth it. There was a lot to do, and the backtracking that you needed to do made sense.

Valdy, I am with you on stormy weather...it is my favorite too, and I don't see enough rainy days and nights here, so it is always a plus when I can at least enjoy it vicariously through a game. There have been a few lately where it rained all the way through, and I really got in the mood, lol.

Also, I agree about adventure and LFGs...I guess I just think differently than the devs of those games do, lol, as what makes sense to me, isn't what they want you to do, so I would wander around aimlessly, clicking on everything, and still spent way to much time with walkthroughs. That just isn't enjoyable to me. And there are a few types of puzzles that I simply don't enjoy doing, and many of those games, including the ND ones, do not allow you to skip them. I can't even begin to count the ones I have bought, in the past, because the concept seemed interesting, yet I didn't finish because I got stuck on some puzzle, and couldn't move on.

Edited on 01/15/2012 at 4:49:26 PM PST

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Jan 15, 12 5:20 PM
I guess I don't know how to quote someone in a thread like this. But I wanted to say that I don't enjoy constantly using a walkthrough or guide to get through a game either. But I purchased Syberia and found that I could not manage it myself. So some day I will do just that. It is such an unusual game IMHO that hopefully I'll still enjoy it.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jan 15, 12 11:36 PM
sunnyglow wrote:I must be missing something. To me this game is not worth the price and obviously the result of a new developer. Can't even come close to ERS games. The storyline is interesting, but on my computer,(I play many of these games weekly), the graphics are grainy. Also tired of the games from the Ukraine presenting the most depressing slum conditions. Geesh! Why can't the scenes reflect some beauty. Every one of the games take place in slums. Tired of this as well.

Hey Sunnyglow--I think this game is a very decent first-effort BFG release from this "new developer." ERS Game Studio has been around for several years, and has had ample time to hone its products--your comparison is a bit unfair. "Sea Legends..." has some good hallmarks of an up-and-coming developer (except, maybe, for the no-bookmark SG!). On "my computer," the graphics appear somewhat like water-colors, but not "grainy"--probably the way the developers intended, considering the storyline.

I'm not all that familiar with "games from the Ukraine" that "take place in slums." Could you tell us about those? And this particular game is about a shipwreck on a supposedly-deserted island, not about surfing in beautiful Hawaii or skiing in the beautiful Swiss Alps. (I don't think that a run-aground, derelict boat qualifies as a "slum").

Hope you have better luck with the next BFG release, whatever that may be.

Regards, elldee

momoftoad
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by momoftoad on Jan 15, 12 11:56 PM
I had the fun of doing the beta on this game and I thought it was very good. I have a widescreen HDMI montitor, and I found the graphics to be just fine. The game was stretched and filled my screen. I found the story line to be interesting and was disappointed when the beta demo ended. The game passed my "intelligent game" test - if I come to a point where the next move is not obvious, and I have to think about what to do next it passes. If all moves are obvious (look, stitching in a mattress, I guess this is where I use the knife...) the game is too easy.

I play all games in hard mode and I do not use the SG. Hints are an absolute last resort. Puzzles are not skipped! The whole idea is to make the grey cells work.

I would have bought it immediately, but I just bought 4 games I had put off for later with the 3.99 sale.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Jan 16, 12 12:05 AM
This is a no buy for me, for the same reasons most others have noted. Tired plots, strategy guides that don't stay on the page, Sometimes I wonder of the developers ever bother to take our suggestions. Unfortunately, we are all addicted to these games, and end up buying anyway. So my question is, does it really matter to a developer if you buy the CE, SE, DD, COTW, or use a punch credit? You are still saying to the developer, "great game" so they continue to churn out more of the same. I may also need a 12 step program here, but I'm going to really try to send a message that in this economy, "OK game" doesn't get my money. From what I have been reading, most of us want. (Not saying this is all related to Sea Legends)

New original plots
Strategy guides you don't have to open to page 1 every time
Bonus games with quality game time
Not having to buy CE to get an ending that makes sense
Making at least some SE that weren't a CE first
Voiceovers throughout the game.... with good appropriate actors
Music that fits the game, no continuous monotonous loops
Challenging but no impossible puzzles with instructions
At least 2 levels of difficulty
For advance level NO SPARKLES
Good hint system
Widescreen option
Custom cursors that work well
No junkpile HOs with the same old objects
No returning to the same scene 2-3 times looking for the same objects
Good proofreaders to get the items correctly spelled and named

I know I am missing some, but its 3AM for me. Excuse my rant... off to sleep now. Unless the TGT calls to me....

Edited on 01/16/2012 at 12:08:13 AM PST

SnowMeow
Stingray
Stingray
5,934 Posts

[Post New]by SnowMeow on Jan 16, 12 5:01 AM
I love this beautiful game. No need for me to compare here, this game stands on it's own! Sold!

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jan 16, 12 6:29 AM
Not a bad game for what it is. It got better after the demo. Well enough put together, though I did have to hit the mouse pretty hard or it wouldn't respond. But still, unimaginative and repetative, like so MANY others lately.

Been playing these games for over a year now and perhaps I'm getting a little jaded, but we ARE the consumers. It's our hard earned money and I don't think it's too demanding to expect a few games that aren't gloomy haunted mansions, islands, hospitals, where you have to search for missing people, cast spells, defeat ghosts and ghouls, and generally follow the same slog with the same plot and the same scenery.

Sometimes I think if you owned just one of the above you could play it over and over again and save yourself some cash. You'd hardly knows the difference, they are so similar.

How about a fantasy game, where you meet exotic creatures, travel through abstract landscapes filled with entirely made up graphics, where you didn't know the story yet but it became gradually clearer as you played.

Or a sci-fi game, with robots, crazy environments and futuristic buildings, where you have to travel to different planets, each one unique from the last.

Or one set in an underwater city made only with what's found under the sea.

I tried a game called The Godfather from another site the other day, because it looked so intriguing. It turned out to be a time management game where all you had to do was build factories. It was such a let down. Imagine where you could go with THAT story line, with a little creativity and imagination.

I bet lots of fishies out there could come up with many other ideas. Why can't developers? They all seem to be stuck in a rut, uninspired and uninterested, just churning out the same old stuff.

I am tired of finding binoculars, glasses, oil cans, feathers and the like. There are gazillions of objects in the world to choose from.

If I were a developer I would not be happy until I had created something completely new, something illuminatingly different that did me proud and set all who played it back on their heels.

Where's the ambition, the drive, the love of the job, the need to prove oneself as being a breed apart? It must be a wonderful career to have. I would love going to work every day. My creative juices would be working overtime 24/7. I would be unhappy and unsatisfied if I wasn't being inventive and original.

Maybe it's a case of familiarity breeding contempt.

Edited on 01/16/2012 at 6:30:59 AM PST

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Jan 16, 12 8:59 AM
Played the demo, and really liked this game! Can someone who finished please tell me how long is the bonus chapter and is there difficulty option in it? Thanx

crypsynight
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by crypsynight on Jan 16, 12 11:25 AM
PurrrThang wrote:I guess I don't know how to quote someone in a thread like this. But I wanted to say that I don't enjoy constantly using a walkthrough or guide to get through a game either. But I purchased Syberia and found that I could not manage it myself.

I agree with you. I loved the Syberia games. One of the few games that truely had a storyline (especially the second one, which left me slightly 'emotional' at the end) - and there is no way I could have done them without the walkthrough.

But as a rule, I try not to go anywhere near the SG or hint button with CE games - makes them last longer to justify paying double price.
(Loved the 'HOGA' comments - think I need to put my name down for it also LOL. But wonder whether it would be a 12 step program, or if there would also be a limited edition '24 step' program )

Back to the game..... I really cant decide on this one. Looks enjoyable enough with lovely graphics - but also looks like it doesn't contain anything new.
I thought reading the comments might sway me one way or the other, but no luck there - they seem 50/50 yay/nay.

Guess I'll have to see how long I can last not buying a CE

Go to: