textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Re:Reviews for Witches' Legacy: The Charleston Curse Collector's Edition

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jan 19, 12 7:37 AM
Witch's Legacy: The Charleston Curse (it is one witch, right?) is an interactive hidden object puzzle adventure. Up front options include sliders for music/sound/voice and buttons for fullscreen/widescreen/custom cursor. You can only play in fullscreen or windowed mode, however, not in widescreen mode. If you select widescreen with fullscreen, there is aspect ratio corection.

There are two choices for modes of play - Normal and Expert. Normal has quicker charging hints and skips and sparkles. Expert has slower charging hints and skips and no sparkles and HOS scenes are not lit up. But there are plenty of hints in all the text references, so there's not alot of guessing. (Note to devs: All the hints in the text negate Expert mode for players.) I played the demo in expert mode didn't use any hints or skips or the SG and still finished with time to spare. There is an interactive journal which also contains hints and clues and goals. The strategy guide is well done and it does bookmark.

The story is one of another old house and another family plagued with a curse - the curse being a witch intent on killing off the members of the family. The bad news is - you've just discovered you're related to the family.

The game contains well done cutscenes and pre-filmed sequences with live actors that somewhat give the feel of direct interaction with the characters (voices were recorded separately). And along with the usual HOS (heavy on the junk), there are many imaginative animated goodies (imps in boxes, door knobs in need of attention) to be discovered. The puzzles, however, are easy and unimaginative.

With all of the FX and creativity, this game will excite many.

Edited on 01/19/2012 at 3:40:42 PM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jan 19, 12 7:37 AM
Wow, great game!!

This game did not just pull me in from the beginning, it yanked me in.

I love the graphics, the H0 scenes are not overly cluttered and there is interaction.
I like having live actors, it adds a really nice touch. (ala 13th skull)
Even though I try not to use it, the SG stays where you left off.
The hint and skip refill pretty quickly.

All the other pluses of this game have already been said.

Finally a nice CE that has quality and is well worth the price and that looks like it will be a fun game to play. woo hoo. doing the happy dance

Thanks Big Fish.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 19, 12 8:16 AM
Wow, a game that opens immediately in widescreen (I can hear the cheers from cbtx!), so a big

This has to be one of the best games in ages and a definite buy. Wonderfully imaginative (that door knob was an inspired piece of work!), great graphics, live characters, excellent voice work, interactive hidden object searches, interesting storyline and a SG that saves your place!

What's not to love about this game, apart from perhaps the length but frankly with what's been on offer lately, I don't care how long it is! I'm off to buy and enjoy

ETA:
heatherington wrote:And then I got in the mail today yet another game coupon for being a good customer, I think it’s a Valentine’s Day gift. Fortunately its good till the middle of March while the others have to be spent by the end of this month

I also got a credit by email today. I was under the impression that it's a new way of giving out your punch card credits; getting them as and when you fill a card rather than all together at the start of the following month. It reads that way but perhaps someone knows for sure??

Edited on 01/19/2012 at 8:29:12 AM PST

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Jan 19, 12 8:30 AM
Played the full demo, but it's only an OK game for me. Graphics are hazy, cartoonish, lots of **** scenes, few and easy puzzles, nothing special about this game for me. I liked the last CE /Sea Legends/ a lot more.

Oldgamer99
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Oldgamer99 on Jan 19, 12 8:44 AM
This one had me when I met the door knob. So far it seems innovative and terrific fun. I hope it keeps up the pace. I rate it WTM (worth the money), for lack of a better term that hasn't been used.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 19, 12 9:51 AM
Nice game, the story line is fine the characters are real, plenty of HOS and puzzles, graphics are OK, I played the demo and have no technical problems, I always like old houses/mystery adventure games, the change to a theme of "witches" or just one witch is a nice way to bring something new to a story, even when I always tend to relate witches to more of Halloween and October.

I will definitely buy this game, but not right away.

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Jan 19, 12 9:56 AM
What a great game! You can tell that the developers put a lot of time and thought into it. I won't rehash what the prior reviewers said, other than to say that I loved the graphics, the visuals, the originality, and the artistry. It did remind me of MCF 13th Skull (and to a lesser degree, Drawn). I will wait to see the length of this game and bonus content before I buy as a CE but it is a DEFINITE buy for me, at least as a SE.

shark46
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by shark46 on Jan 19, 12 10:40 AM
nothing like drawn great game but thats me happy gaming everyone

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jan 19, 12 11:06 AM
What a nice and wonderful game. And it has a widescreen option! I really like the storyline, graphic and gameplay. Especially the animations are great. For me its a buy - as the CE

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Jan 19, 12 11:35 AM
IMO, this is not just another save the relative in a spooky old house game. The animation is wonderful, the voices overs are great, i.e., a little girl with a real little girl's voice, rather than a woman trying to sound like a child. I think the developers must have a bit of a twisted and funny imagination....the sick door knob, the imp in the box, etc. The strategy guide is very easy to follow and keeps it's place. I will definitely be purchasing this game in a few days after a few reviews on just how long this game is. It would be nice if the reviewers let us know what mode they played in, and if they took the time to read everything, or did they rush past things like that and/or skip a lot of the minipuzzles. These things can skew the amount of time someone might say it took them to play the game. I am not a speedy player. Many times it will take me an hour or two longer than others to finish a game, whereas some players finish a game in 3 or 4 hours.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jan 19, 12 12:12 PM

My first impression after downloading and beginning play was, errr, not this again.... then I was pleasantly surprised by some very unique additions to this game. Some talented devs did some cool work here. The length and consistency of continued gameplay carried through the game will determine my final opinion (hope it doesn't dissolve into over the top ); yet so far, this one is very appealing despite the potentially overall well-worn storyline.

Enjoyed the music, 'live' interactive cutscenes, imaginative additions, yay!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 19, 12 12:23 PM
Same story, different day. The blurry blinking eye is so over done. That said, not a bad game. Nice graphics and game play. Music okay. HOGs fairly easy, games fairly easy so far. Don't know about length, but I still had 28 minutes on the demo and I used the hint button twice for a couple of hidden objects I just couldn't see. This game is going in my puddle for a "wait and see what else comes out this month." I have already purchased 4 CE's, so I need to hold off for awhile. Thanks for the reviews.

We have 8 inches of snow and it is still coming down heavy...not a good sign! At least we don't have the ice storms (yet) and hope we don't get them. Stay warm and stay safe.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jan 19, 12 1:51 PM
Review of demo:
Thus far, I really do like this game. The voice-acting is nice and seems appropriate to each character - no "grown up voices" for children or "children's voices" for grownups. Music - I used it only for a short time and it is OK...I normally don't turn the speakers on. The pen "scratching" when notes are written in the journal is a nice touch. I do like that we can click "outside the box" to close it and not have to click the X. Too, I like being able to click through the dialog after I read it and not wait on the character to finish speaking.

The H0 scenes were a bit "muted" in color sometimes but appropriate to the game. I liked the H0 scene where we had to use the flashlight to see it, and there was a bit of "glow" in the scene as if we were looking at it with the flashlight turned on. There is some interaction in the H0 scenes which gives a bit of a break from just hunting the objects. I didn't notice a misclick penalty although I over-clicked a lot just to see. The SG seems to be quite straightforward when I checked it. No map though. When I accidentally moved the cursor near the journal, the "task" would show up and I would rather that didn't happen...just let me click the journal if I forget what I need to do. The puzzles I encountered weren't difficult thus far.

The overall graphics are very nice! The "movie" quality of the characters is a bonus to find! There have been some "surprises" such as the doorknob which makes me think this game might not be totally about a "bad witch" but may have somewhat of a "fairytale" element, but I am early in the game so that might not be true.

I really do want this game but I don't know. It has lots of "innovations" I'm not used to seeing in a game and is quite beautiful and interesting, but I do like a game with "some playing time" to it. Does the beautifully done game itself outweigh the overall length of the CE...I am just not sure for me.

winkadink
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by winkadink on Jan 19, 12 2:27 PM
Definitely a great game. A good combination of hidden object scenes and puzzles; and the puzzles are not so difficult that you have to always use the strategy guide. But yet they are not super easy. Good story line and you can click through the voiceover after you read it to keep the game moving. The story is to the point so it does not get boring. Unfortunately, due to my finances, I had better wait for the SE version before buying. Can't wait!

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Jan 19, 12 3:01 PM
This game is very well done. The hidden objects take some time to find, but not to the point you have to use the hint button all the time. Graphics good, story looks good as well. It's a fun game as far as I could tell from the demo.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Jan 19, 12 4:54 PM
Very well done game and plot. What I'm most thankful for is the fact that you can use the Hint button to find out where to go to (without penalty). I'm getting pretty tired of those "There's nothing to do here" hints.

jkshosa
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by jkshosa on Jan 19, 12 7:50 PM
Well I tried the demo and it reminded me alot of Ravenhearst. Even down to the car at the gate. I did like the game but don't know if I will get the CE or SE edition. I didn't care much for the actors in the game it looked like they did one move and the developers just repeated it. If they were using real characters you would think that their mouths would move along with the voice. I still liked the game.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jan 20, 12 8:08 AM
I love their other games and I now love this one too. I do have to say that at the beginning I had to delete my profile and try to get past the girl but it did work the second time around. I liked the music...not annoying...and the voice overs. The graphics are not so dark that you can't see the Hidden Objects, but are dark enough to be spooky. I see some "Drawn" elements here but it did not turn me off. It seemed pretty easy to get around and figure out what to do next....sometimes a game is not intuitive and you go back and forth a million times until you stumble upon what to do next. There are 2 gameplay modes, you can skip puzzles if you like, there is a goals tab to keep you on track. I was sorry that the demo ended so soon.... The SG was clear when I needed it. I guess I will have to decide on SE or CE on this one....hmmmm

midori2
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by midori2 on Jan 20, 12 8:09 AM
cbtx wrote:From the same dev that brought us the Fear for Sale games comes this fantastic new title that LovetoMissLisa sums up very nicely. All that Lisa said I agree with----especially as it concerns the graphics and the animation. (Hey, Lisa, at least the car got to where it was going without slipping off the road or crashing or going out of control to avoid some mysterious item, etc.)
I thought the hidden object scenes were great with nifty little interactive portions unlike others I have seen.
The puzzles were different and fun without being overly difficult.
Although we have seen many haunted houses, ghosts, etc., this game was different enough because of the new, fresh, and innovative approach this dev used as their games continue to improve.
And yes, the widescreen option worked fine for me, opening on the entire screen and making the game so much more attractive. (Their first Fear game did not, their second Fear game and this one DO so that tells me that these devs are doing all they can to improve their games and pay attention to the details---great job)
I hope some of the other devs are paying attention and learning from devs like this that show the way.
As Lisa says, this one is a must have----highly recommended!

Thanks cbtx - I find myself looking to your reviews these days because we seem to share the same taste in games. I had my doubts with this one at first, but now that I'm into it, I am finding it to be absolutely delightful! The little imp in the box is what really grabbed me. Fantastic job, developers.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Jan 20, 12 9:20 AM
Don't think I can add anymore than what has already been said. I am maybe half way through and am enjoying it all the way so far. The developers did add some nice touches to this game. Glad to hear others are able to play it on ws. Graphics might be a bit hazy but I think its meant to be that way, looks great to me. More than happy I purchased this game.

Go to: