sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

Re:Reviews for Otherworld: Spring of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sunidayz on Jan 22, 12 2:59 AM
Different little game, I think, full of fairies and magic objects, etc. For some reason, at first I didn't like it. Then right before the demo ended, I started to get to get into into it more. The gameplay at first was a bit confusing on where to go and what to do . DIdn't use the Strategy Guide though until once in the middle after finding the lady/fairy? in the tree. The graphics were okay - a bit fuzzy here and there. I didn't run into any HOS . Just find 20 of this or 20 of that. The mini games were a bit challenging, but there was a fairly quick skip button . The music was fitting also. KInd of eerie as you you were searching to free the main character. I would rate this a 6out of 10.

[Post New]by JirafaVanidosa on Jan 22, 12 2:59 AM
This game is definitely for me! It`s from one of my favorite DEV (I love "Awakening" series and "Dana Knightstone" very,very much!). I love everything about this new one! Alas! I have to wait for next month, but then I will buy it and buy it as CE ( though I rarely buy CEs).
I`ll waiting until February eagerly and with great impatience!
Thank you very much DEV and for this beautiful and charming game!

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Jan 22, 12 2:59 AM
Goodday fishies!

A fairy tale as the TGT today! It made me feel so light and happy I've bought this CE within the first playing minutes. It feels so good to be playing a lesser dark game than we've seen in the past months.

Beautiful graphics and charming, not difficult minigames. The SG keeps your pace. You can choose easy, expert or hard mode. I'm playing on easy mode and I haven't been around any junkpile yet to search through. There was only some sort of gem search in a flowerbed so far. Great! It's a nice change not having to search through numerous junk filled locations!

I don't know how long this game will be, but I don't care. I dislike long games if 'long' stands for running around endlessly to find some item to use somewhere else, So if this game stays as charming as it is in the beginning, then the length is of lesser importance to me. I'm enjoying myself, and that's what matters.

If you like this game too: have fun! I certainly have!

ETA: Oh my! I've discovered the map! And it appears to be a looong game!!!

5 out of 5 Definitely!

Edited on 01/22/2012 at 5:42:19 AM PST

[Post New]by FishForever on Jan 22, 12 3:04 AM
Boomzap is one of my favorite developers, they usually developed bright, light-hearted games so this one seems to be the first DARK game from them! Although, the plot is quite dark, the game still remains the beauty of magnificent scenes! They're bright, colorful, detailed and yes, extremely beautiful. It has Wide Screen option which fits my monitor perfectly Music are pleasant, really enjoy listening to them

This game is more Adventure than HOG, very very few HOG scenes. The game contains many different types of HOG scenes that you can think of, FROG scenes, original HOG scenes, find matching items, find number of things and many more, which is great! Locations are very vary, from the magical garden, to countryside, dark cave or haunted house! Puzzles in this game are mostly EASY, maybe a little too easy but they're very fun to play! There're voice overs only in cut scenes (which as one of the Extras, you can replay them).

This game seems to be extremely long, i'm fast player and just got up to Chapter 3in the first 2 hours, with 6 Chapters, i guess i would finished it within 4 hours (which is really long, compare to playing other games at my speed). Extras are also CE worthy, soundtracks are great because i really like music in this game, wallpapers are also enchanting, not just taken a scene from the game itself, the Epilogue also seems to be interesting. There're achievements in this game, i have great fun collecting them, there're also over 60 Fairies for you to find

What a fantastic way to start off the year!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 22, 12 3:07 AM
CasualGran wrote:Goodday fishies!

A fairy tale as the TGT today! It made me feel so light and happy I've bought this CE within the first playing minutes. It feels so good to be playing a lesser dark game than we've seen in the past months.

Beautiful graphics and charming, not difficult minigames. The SG keeps your pace. You can choose easy, expert or hard mode. I'm playing on easy mode and I haven't been around any junkpile yet to search through. There was only some sort of gem search in a flowerbed so far. Great! It's a nice change not having to search through numerous junk filled locations!

I don;t know how long this game will be, but I don't care. I dislike long games if 'long' stands for running around endlessly to find some item to use somewhere else, So if this games stays as charming as it is in the beginning, then the length is of lesser importance to me. I'm enjoying myself, and that's what matters.

If you like this game too: have fun! I certainly have!

Certainly the enjoyment and fun are derived in great part from the QUALITY of the game, and this game is truly indicative of the old quality over quantity maxim.

Terrenis
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Terrenis on Jan 22, 12 3:27 AM
Just spent my last two credits on this absolutely beautiful and breathtaking game, which it's worth in my opinion. Am Downloading the full version now and will certainly enjoy it.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jan 22, 12 3:28 AM
How absolutely refreshing to have a different themed game! A charming and enchanted mystery, based on looking for a missing girl in a enchanted wouderland. The graphics are beautiful and the animations are very well done. I don't listen to the music. But the music in this game is so enchanting and charming. I love the storyline and overall play of the game. This is a must have game, IMO I'm just so happy to play a different storyline. I fell like a kid in a candy store. Enjoy this beauty! Great job to the developers! Thank you for a different storyline. What a breath of fresh air.

Yes: Voiceover only in cut scenes
Yes: Full Screen/NO Widescreen, but it fits my screen
Yes: Custom Cursor
Yes: Music/Sound Separate
Yes: 3 differnt modes of play/casual/expert/advanced
Theme: Enchanted Mystery- A refreshing new storyline

I have to rate this game "FINE SWINE"
“FINE SWINE”
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jan 22, 12 3:30 AM
cbtx wrote:Good morning Valdy and all other fishies,

From Boomzap----the makers of the Awakening games, Dana Knightstone games, and Antique Road Trip games (so you know the quality will be of the highest order)----comes this fantastic offering.
I played the full hour but didn't get very far as I was so taken with the beautiful, excellently done scenery that I found myself just gaping at the magnificent blend of color and artistry on display.
The gameplay itself is very smooth and just flows in such a manner as to take you completely and immediately into the story.
Adding to the beauty of this game is the fact that it opens in widescreen----a big plus that seems to be lost to other developERS.
Full of interesting puzzles that seem to be easy enough.
There are several achievements (22 I think) to strive for which adds to the fun (for me, anyway)
The strategy guide keeps it place and the first two of six chapters before the bonus game is 47 pages so the game appears to be lengthy.
The bonus game is listed as an epilogue.
This game is a must have for me, and sets a standard of sorts as to just how high the bar can be set, and absolutely leaves certain other developERS in the dust of repetition and resting on their older achievements.
This one shows the way (so far) for 2012.
Congrats to the developer for this superb game.
Enjoy, everyone!

developERS? Brilliant! Really made me chuckle. Thanks.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Jan 22, 12 3:39 AM
Holy Catfish what a game simply gorgeous and with fairies who could ask for more. I played just a few minutes of the demo before I hit the cha-ching button. Absolutely a lovely game in every way and very enjoyable and mysterious with fantasy mixed in with it and a great story to boot a refreshing change. Seems to have alot of puzzles but the ones I've done so far are not hard. Graphics are beautiful and it's very easy to find the things you need. Definitely worth the money and I'm so glad I purchased this little gem of a game. Thank you Big Fish and Boom Zap for an absolutely amazing and beautiful game.

Edited on 01/22/2012 at 6:52:19 AM PST

[Post New]by silverlady47 on Jan 22, 12 3:40 AM
This game is exquisite and so relaxing to play. The music reminds me of the Dark Parables Series which I loved.

I will certainly buy this game.

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Jan 22, 12 3:50 AM
I feel just like casualgran games like this really give me a lift. I love all the Awakening games as I do Dana Knightstone and play them often.

At the moment I have several possible CE buys on my desk top but this will go to the top of my list. Every scene was delightful. Roll on pay day.

Linda.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jan 22, 12 3:53 AM
At the start I was Boomed by 12 flowers, then Zapped by 15 spiders, and then Zapped again by 20 bulbs...all of them defined as HOS!

HOS are frames of different nature (the developers know it, as I have many of their games), So I am not satisfied at all with this kind of HOS.

Adventure-Puzzle game is the right definition... And I prefer it, instead of the "cheat-try" to mix it with **** "fake" screens.

Second - there is a new "anti-weapon" against the measuring the game length - no number of pages in the SG. Why? What have you to hide from me? If the game has a "honest" length - show it to the world! I don't want to buy a "cat in a sack".

Except these two complaints - graphics are good (but not excellent as the Knightstone series), background is pleasant to look at (some more resolution would help), and the hint system is very helpful (out of the HOS).

There is also a map, which "tweets" about the length (how many chapters are) - you "neglected" this "spy tool", developers!

Yes, I know I am in minority, but I was asked to post even negative comments, otherwise you shouldn't read this mini-review...

Not my Alley. Happy gaming...

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 22, 12 4:15 AM
Just as an addendum to the review:
I now see that there are 5 easter eggs in the game (so if you want to find them on your own do NOT look in the general tips section of the strategy game.
So much more to this game than the usual junkpile games----a total winner!

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jan 22, 12 4:37 AM
WebsiteBoomzap wrote:
Valdy wrote:There is no map.

Just a quick note - there actually IS a map - you just get it after the survey section. It does not allow you to go to specific scenes, but to very different locations, each of which have a number of different scenes. I would say more, but I don't want to spoil it any more than that.

And thank you!

EDIT: By survey section, I mean the trial period. You'll know when you get the map - you can't miss it.

love when devs care enough to come in and see how thier game is recieved,,,others do not even bother...

great quality games, with decent length, and interesting gameplay,,is all we want in ce,s.....you guys rock

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 22, 12 4:43 AM
bella81762 wrote:
WebsiteBoomzap wrote:
Valdy wrote:There is no map.

Just a quick note - there actually IS a map - you just get it after the survey section. It does not allow you to go to specific scenes, but to very different locations, each of which have a number of different scenes. I would say more, but I don't want to spoil it any more than that.

And thank you!

EDIT: By survey section, I mean the trial period. You'll know when you get the map - you can't miss it.

love when devs care enough to come in and see how thier game is recieved,,,others do not even bother...

great quality games, with decent length, and interesting gameplay,,is all we want in ce,s.....you guys rock

Right you are----getting in here to check the responses shows they really care about their product and makes me admire their effort all the more.

lbbazusa
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by lbbazusa on Jan 22, 12 4:58 AM
dramajunkie wrote:Happy, happy! No vamires/werewolves/demented bloody doctors! The worst part in the demo was finding 22 spiders. I hate looking for one and avoid looking at them in other HOS. LOL. Love boomzap, so figured it would be good, and it is. Lovely graphics, soothing music, tho I always keep music minimum. Voice-over for the narrator, but not the other characters - rather odd and slightly disappointing as I do like voices. Hints are clear and maybe too obvious, but might not need a SG. No junkpile HOS (suits me) lots of puzzles and adventure. Reminds me of Awakening series, this may be darker, but Not bloody or glowing red eyes. It's a buy for me even before I read my trusty reviewers reports (Valdy, you're always on the money . Are we all night owls? It's 2:30 here . I better sleep before D/L the full game, or I'll be up 'til dawn

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Jan 22, 12 5:18 AM
Great ! I'm buying this game based on the reviews....especially the "more adventure than HOG". I really don't care for the typical H0s, but that's just me. I have other Boomzap games and enjoyed every one of them.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 22, 12 5:40 AM
cbtx wrote:Good morning Valdy and all other fishies,

From Boomzap----the makers of the Awakening games, Dana Knightstone games, and Antique Road Trip games (so you know the quality will be of the highest order)----comes this fantastic offering.
I played the full hour but didn't get very far as I was so taken with the beautiful, excellently done scenery that I found myself just gaping at the magnificent blend of color and artistry on display.
The gameplay itself is very smooth and just flows in such a manner as to take you completely and immediately into the story.
Adding to the beauty of this game is the fact that it opens in widescreen----a big plus that seems to be lost to other developERS.
Full of interesting puzzles that seem to be easy enough.
There are several achievements (22 I think) to strive for which adds to the fun (for me, anyway)
The strategy guide keeps it place and the first two of six chapters before the bonus game is 47 pages so the game appears to be lengthy.
The bonus game is listed as an epilogue.
This game is a must have for me, and sets a standard of sorts as to just how high the bar can be set, and absolutely leaves certain other developERS in the dust of repetition and resting on their older achievements.
This one shows the way (so far) for 2012.
Congrats to the developer for this superb game.
Enjoy, everyone!

Great review which I totally echo; this game does indeed set the bar very high and shows just how stuck in the past those other developERS have become. ( I read the review of that particular dev's last game (on that well know review site) and was struck by one sentence; 'this developer is in serious danger of becoming the proverbial one-trick pony'. I think that sums them up perfectly).

In contrast, this game is of the highest quality in every aspect and not just a vaguely disguised repetition of previous offerings. And it fills my 23" monitor perfectly...yayyy! Thanks to the developer for a wonderful game.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jan 22, 12 5:42 AM
This is a wonderful and lovely game. Graphic is great, gameplay also, puzzles too. Its a very nice adventure game and a buy for me - as the CE

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jan 22, 12 5:52 AM
well just finished the demo..and WOW.......its bright, clear,, love the mini games,,, love the non junkpile hos, and i am surprised no one mentioned......the sg keeps pace with you, whereever you are in the game, when you open the guide, its wherever you are at that moment........lots og hogs lately,,,,feel like a chore to play, this one is awesome,,,,fun, and entertaining

Go to: