bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

Re:Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Haunted Houdini Deluxe

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jan 28, 12 5:47 AM
Wow! At first I thought BF was trying to trick us and calling a CE a Deluxe Game. How does it happen we get a guide and a good game for the regular price?

I have always liked the Midnight Mysteries and this one is just as good as the previous.

Some of the HOS have pretty tiny objects to deal with but they are interactive and quite fun. The mini games really sold me on this though. Very unique!

Absolutely loved the graphics and the illusions were fun to watch. There were some scenes that made me a bit jumpy but that just adds to the fun

Since there are many great reviews already I will just say I am off to buy this one!

HAVE FUN FISHIES!!!! HAPPY SATURDAY! Hopefully it's your day off to

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 28, 12 6:04 AM
Played 35 minutes, casual

- 3 Modes to play, casual, advanced, hardcore
- Notebook, no map
- You interact in the H0
- You have to collect ravens through the game in order to get more hints (like in all Midnight Mysteries games)
- You collect clovers as well in order to unlock unlimited H0 at the end of the game. (here too a regular thing in Midnight M)
- Hint very uselful even outside H0. You can click on an object to see its silhouette. Objects sometimes tiny. Hint refills slowly
- Skip button takes a long time to fill
- Mini games fairly easy and a bit repetitive for some of them
- Good graphics
- Interesting story as in all Midnight M games
- No voice overs, at lot of dialogues with ghosts

A good game, can't say a very good game as it didn't grab me as the previous ones did, a buy, especially with a coupon code.

What I didn't quite understand is if Deluxe games can upgrade to CEs ?? If they don't I don't really see the interest of being Deluxe just for the sake of a WT, not really needed.

Edited on 01/28/2012 at 6:04:38 AM PST

Vallarina
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by Vallarina on Jan 28, 12 6:18 AM
I just finished the demo in 42 minutes and enjoyed the story line because I have always been interested in Houdini. I found myself using the strategy guide constantly. Which I didn't like. The story line didn't give me enough clues to know what to do next. So I relied heavily on the guide. Or maybe I just wasn't taking my time to read.
I like to have to hunt for extras in each scene, ravens and 4 leaf clovers.
The graphics were good. I will probably buy this game.
I still have 2 other games I bought recently that I haven't completed so I may wait.
I recommend this game, especially with the price!
Keep up the great work BFG.
Vallarina

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jan 28, 12 6:33 AM
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your reviews so far! I just wanted to pop in to share this link for more information on Deluxe Games:

Introducing “Deluxe” Games!

If you have any comments, concerns or questions in regards to this new game concept, please feel free to use the thread above in order to reserve this thread for reviews on this specific game only.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 28, 12 7:04 AM
I will try to be honest and without bias as I review this game.

The game has very nice graphics, no as great as many CEs we already fond and familiar with.

Some areas are a bit dark but I guess that is because the story line.

I miss the voices but I guess that is just a matter of preference.

I played on causal and have not problem solving the puzzles and finding objects.

The music was nice and the special effects also.

It is definitely a buy for me but no right away, still is well worth the regular price of a SE, but I would think two times if it was sold as a CE, regardless of SG or not as I have no need for that most of the time.

[Post New]by JirafaVanidosa on Jan 28, 12 7:08 AM
Poutoule wrote:

What I didn't quite understand is if Deluxe games can upgrade to CEs ?? If they don't I don't really see the interest of being Deluxe just for the sake of a WT, not really needed.

Solice wrote:

"autumn_leaf wrote:
Hiya Solice....can you clarify a fishy out? I looked at your post.....but I didn't see an answer to my question.....does a DE ever come out as a CE?"

Hi autumn_leaf!

No, Deluxe games will only be released as Deluxe.

From the thread "Introducing "Deluxe Games!":

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/420/196755.page

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Jan 28, 12 7:49 AM
bratzgram wrote:Wow! At first I thought BF was trying to trick us and calling a CE a Deluxe Game. How does it happen we get a guide and a good game for the regular price?

I have always liked the Midnight Mysteries and this one is just as good as the previous.

Some of the HOS have pretty tiny objects to deal with but they are interactive and quite fun. The mini games really sold me on this though. Very unique!

Absolutely loved the graphics and the illusions were fun to watch. There were some scenes that made me a bit jumpy but that just adds to the fun

Since there are many great reviews already I will just say I am off to buy this one!

My Thoughts exactly! For those of us who don't really care or want or need the concept art, screensavers, etc, this Deluxe Version is outstanding for the price! To get a SG intergrated in the game is a really BIG plus for me, as the hint button does not always show what I want. And getting all this at an SE price.....awesome!

Hopefully this is not a rareity but will become a staple with BFG and therego, helping all of us.....SC's(senior Citizens) who don't have that much money to keep dishing out for CE's. So thanks, BFG for offering this as a Deluxe game. I most certainly will buy it and any more that come my way. An SG is really needed, for me anyway ,in most games and those that do not need it or use it don't have to while it is the same price as an SE. What do you have to lose?

I am really excited about this!

OKC gem

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Jan 28, 12 7:50 AM
This may well be the best of the Midnight Mysteries series. I thoroughly enjoyed the game which took me 6-1/4 hours including the demo. A story of jealousy, deception, and murder, you must find out what really happened to Houdini.

The puzzles were fun and innovative. Most were easy, a few might take a hint or the SG to get you started. As already mentioned before, if you click on the word inside an h.o. the raven will show you a silhouette of the object without actually costing you a hint. But that will lose you one of the achievements in the game, as well as using an actual hint.

There are 14 achievements to master, I think it was. No hints, not using the silhouette hint, finding all 70 clovers, finding all 52 ravens & completing an h.o. in one minute are just a few.

There are a few moments designed to make you jump, which I did. And I actually clapped with glee a couple of times at the references and quotes from Arthur Conan Doyle's stories and Sherlock Holmes. You don't have to do too much backtracking to find things, usually just a few clicks. But once you are done with a few rooms, the doors are closed to you, so find all the clovers and ravens that you can while you are in each room, including the h.o.'s. A few select rooms will have them again when you revisit that room a second time, later in the game.

I played in easy mode, and did need a few hints. Graphics are well done, and h.o. scenes were not piles of junk. But a few objects, like an eye dropper were very small. The magic tricks and the trying your hand at skill in the amusement part were a lot of fun. Music was not intrusive and scenes were not dark for me, as they were for some others.

A very well done game and great fun! After a few chores done, I'm right back to playing again to get more of the achievements. Kudos to the developers and thanks to BFG!

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jan 28, 12 8:05 AM
ladygem6 wrote:
bratzgram wrote:Wow! At first I thought BF was trying to trick us and calling a CE a Deluxe Game. How does it happen we get a guide and a good game for the regular price?

My Thoughts exactly! For those of us who don't really care or want or need the concept art, screensavers, etc, this Deluxe Version is outstanding for the price! To get a SG intergrated in the game is a really BIG plus for me, as the hint button does not always show what I want. And getting all this at an SE price.....awesome!

Hopefully this is not a rareity but will become a staple with BFG and therego, helping all of us.....SC's(senior Citizens) who don't have that much money to keep dishing out for CE's. So thanks, BFG for offering this as a Deluxe game. I most certainly will buy it and any more that come my way. An SG is really needed, for me anyway ,in most games and those that do not need it or use it don't have to while it is the same price as an SE. What do you have to lose?

I am really excited about this!

OKC gem

6.99 is a introductory price....it wont stay at the price for long

hazelize
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by hazelize on Jan 28, 12 8:26 AM
Loved this game. I was thinking that it would be the first CE I'd bought in a long time, then noticed the price. Thank you so much, Big Fish! This is a lot of game for the money.

What a difference it makes to enjoyment when fullscreen is done correctly. The graphics did not feel stretched or look muddy; they were nice and crisp throughout. I loved all the little surprises--the card trick, the things jumping out, etc.--and look forward to more of them as I progress in the game. I really like inventories that allow you to combine items, as this game has, because it allows for yet another level of creativity on the player's part.

The demo has shown this game to have a good balance of puzzles and HOGs. An earlier poster mentioned that areas become unavailable as they're cleared, which I hadn't noticed. (I like when you have a message such as "Area Cleared" or something to indicate you haven't missed anything, but a closed-off room works just as well.)

Finally, this game moves in a logical fashion and, so far, is historically accurate. I know many gamers don't care about that but I feel guilty enough spending so much time playing games. I appreciate developers who don't insult my intelligence as well.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jan 28, 12 8:27 AM
Someone in this gaming company has got an incredibly vivid imagination and they put it to good use every time, this one being no exception.

I found it a thoroughly intriguing game and I have been immersed in in for the last 5 hrs. I have read quite a lot of negatives and complaints and can only say that I do not agree with any of them. It is smart, imaginative, innovative and a welcome change from the usual fare.

I own their 3 previous games which I really liked and this one did not disappoint.

I say well done and don't stop now, keep it up.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jan 28, 12 8:42 AM
This was a no brainer buy for me - but to err to the side of caution I did download the demo before buying - wanted to make sure it ran well (though let's face it the demo only tells you the demo runs well ).

I can still remember how blown away I was by the first in this series - Poe - I mean that literally I remember that was back before my laptop when I had a PC and it was in the basement!! I suppose that ambiance adds to the memory Just a bit of the demo on this newest offering - and I'm blown away again! The cards are sooo cool! The ghost of Mrs. Houdini is wonderful - it's accurate - not some rendering of some super model looking woman "cast" in the role - make sense?

We often talk of "same old" here - and for this game - I'm glad our clovers and ravens & acheivements are back! Sometimes "same old" is a case of "If it ain't broke..." it wasn't & the devs didn't!

As for Deluxe in general - honestly, SGs can be handy (not having to close out, look for and through the walkthrough...) but I really buy CEs for the wallpaper, concept art & extra play - so though I'm SUPER GLAD BFG is listening & working on this "middle of the road" option - it likely rarely will make a difference for me on buying. Then again - I have an uber need to get all the acheivements with these games & I sure used the SG in the last one for those darn clovers!

Bottom line, SE, CE, DE - whatever - this is an awesome series & this one promises to uphold the good name of Midnight Mysteries - I'm off to play - you should be too.

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Jan 28, 12 9:14 AM
Just the midnight mysteries, except for this one- too much same old, same old card playing, nothing new , Houdini,

Unistalled this one after 20 minutes of demo

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Jan 28, 12 10:27 AM
This is a Midnight Mysteries, a very good series. This review is based upon the trial version, played in easy mode. The opening scene is very well done, with a good scare to it. Actually, there are a few scary, unexpected bits thrown in throughout the demo.

There are 3 levels of play, and 2 cursor options. One cursor option is called animated, and you will see the fingers of the hand moving and the eyeball moving. For me, it was clunkier than the regular option, and a bit distracting.

You get a journal, but no map. There is one very good new option in this game. It is a deluxe edition, yet still at SE price. There is a strategy guide here, which I have never seen in a game at this price. Since I don't particularly care about artwork and wallpapers, this is a great feature for me, one that I hope will continue to be available in future games.

There is a tutorial that you cannot skip. Items in the inventory can be combined.

You will also get achievments throughout the game. I think 16 of them, if I recall correctlly. You also find ravens for hints. Clovers are available to collect, which when you find 40 will unlock unlimited hidden objects.

**** scenes are not too easy, nor too difficult. By clicking an objects name, you will see the silhouette in the lantern, which does not cost you a hint. Hint recharge is fairly quick in easy mode.

Puzzles not too hard, but the skip button takes A LONG time, especially in easy mode. I don't mind waiting for a skip if I am playing in hard mode, but in easy mode, I don't want to sit there and wait for a skip to fill when I know I can't do the puzzle and am getting frustrated by it.

Hints also work outside of the hidden object scenes.

The only negatives I can say here is the lack of voiceovers. Most games have them, and if well done, really add to the story. So a bit disappointing to not have them

This is a buy for me, but 'm not going to start a new punchcard now, so I'll wait till next week. Which is OK, because I just started RTR again, and playing at my slow pace, a couple hours a day, will bring me to next week.

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Jan 28, 12 10:27 AM
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to swim by to remind everyone to please reserve this thread for reviews only so that our users can visit this thread for just that.

If you'd like to have a conversation with other players, please feel free to do so in this thread:

Comments for Midnight Mysteries: Haunted Houdini Deluxe

We will be removing any off-topic posts to make sure that our users can find all reviews with ease. Thank you!

-bfgArnoStyx

bumblebea
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by bumblebea on Jan 28, 12 10:35 AM
care___916 wrote:I agree with all of the positive reviews. I liked the game and have all of the others in this series.

Voice overs would have made this game super. Graphics as awhole are good but the crows are a little difficult to find for me as they are mostly in a dark place lol black on black.

Not sure if I am going to purchase this new DE.

Happy game day
Somedays I like just a nice happy game. At 77 I just like a nice happy fun game. Too much blood and gore are not good games for me.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Jan 28, 12 11:01 AM
[removed by moderator]

Edited on 01/28/2012 at 12:43:26 PM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jan 28, 12 12:07 PM
I am not a big fan from this game. I have tried this game, but didn`t liked it really. Nothing new or special with this game. For me its a no buy

[Post New]by spikescajunmom on Jan 28, 12 2:33 PM
I just finished the demo and this is a definite buy for me. I agree with the other positive reviewers. You have 3 skill levels to chose from. I used Advance. You can skip puzzles but takes a long time to charge. Great graphics and storyline. You find clovers throughout the game for a special extra, don't know what. You also search for ravens to get additional hints. If you enjoyed the other Midnight Mysteries you will probably like this game too! And great price!!! Thanks BFG!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 28, 12 2:44 PM
Nice game. I also had to use the WT more than usual, but I do like having it to refer to anyway. I haven't had any problems finding the clovers or the crows and did not need to look at the WT to see them...just need to take a little time to look. Interesting story line, not new by any means, but interesting. I think most people are curious about the Houdini legend.

Anyway, nice game, HOGs not dificult but take a little time, games fairly easy and again take a little time, music nice. Voice overs would be excellent in this one, but don't mind a little reading. Liked the combination of things to do in the HOGs...very different.

Although some have said it is a short game at just over 6 hours, I think that's pretty good for an SE like this one. I finished the demo with only 3 minutes to spare, but I'm no speed demon either. I am definitely going to use a credit on this one. Thanks for the reviews.

Go to: