shell_1965
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

Re:Reviews for Big City Adventure: London Classic

[Post New]by shell_1965 on Feb 1, 12 9:02 PM
i was so happy to see a new "big city adventure" game but i hate the puzzle games between. having trouble with some. wish there were more "skips" available. just want to do the hidden object scenes

[Post New]by Game_Fearie666 on Feb 3, 12 5:20 AM
This one I believe is shorter than past ones, but I'll buy it anyway because I've been waiting for it and I enjoy these games.

grobly
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by grobly on Feb 3, 12 8:50 PM
My big deal is that the writer doesn't speak English very well, so the "trombone" was really a cornet and the "bow tie pasta" was really a bow tie. The "butterfly" was really a Luna moth. There were more, but I can't remember all of them. This is fairly typical. In another game a djembe was labled "bongo drum". Etc. Etc.

seeme278
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by seeme278 on Feb 4, 12 7:51 AM
I've always enjoyed the simplicity of the straight up HOGs and have every Big City Adventure. I "purchased" this one with one of my freebie coupons. Unless you really love pure HOGs, I don't recommend this game. I find most of the scenes dull. They all seem to have large open spots and the hidden objects are tiny and mostly aroung the borders. I've never had issues with small objects or objects that are difficult to find, but somehow this time it is very annoying. And, as others have pointed out, the game is only 51 rounds, half the size of previous games. On the plus side, there is a greater variety of minigames, so they don't repeat as often (I'm at round 10 and have not had the same minigame twice).

Not bad, but not great.

[Post New]by forgetyou on Feb 6, 12 9:31 AM
Sorry I purchased this game - I'm stuck already! Can't get the safe combination.

sassymom6
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by sassymom6 on Feb 6, 12 8:19 PM
I finally finished this game and am sorry I ever bought it. If the next Big City is anything like this I will not buy or use a credit. This was truly one big hassle and not at all enjoyable.

[Post New]by cantswim on Feb 6, 12 9:06 PM
Not happy. I made it through the first safe now I am stuck at the second one! Big City Adventure has always been about the h&s not hard puzzles. Let them know I will probably not do their game next time. I am truly disappointed and let down that I paid for this and I can't complete it.

[Post New]by cantswim on Feb 6, 12 9:27 PM
shell_1965 wrote:i was so happy to see a new "big city adventure" game but i hate the puzzle games between. having trouble with some. wish there were more "skips" available. just want to do the hidden object scenes

[Post New]by LilNipMyst on Feb 7, 12 12:34 PM
scottbully wrote:Has ANYONE figured out the Scarabs or how to earn MORE skips?

Thanks

the only way to earn more skips is to solve the pipe puzzles.

[Post New]by rlparsons on Feb 8, 12 6:48 AM
WELL...............................After many days of playing, I finally finished the game. It's a very challenging game and I have learned to play it timed as opposed to relaxed. That way you can earn more skip buttons to get out of the Scrabs, Safe, Stamps and other anything that would drive you insane. Actually looking forward to game 6. Just needs more skip buttons in the relaxed mode. Don't like the Adventure version.

[Post New]by rlparsons on Feb 8, 12 6:48 AM
WELL...............................After many days of playing, I finally finished the game. It's a very challenging game and I have learned to play it timed as opposed to relaxed. That way you can earn more skip buttons to get out of the Scrabs, Safe, Stamps and other anything that would drive you insane. Actually looking forward to game 6. Just needs more skip buttons in the relaxed mode. Don't like the Adventure version.

[Post New]by rlparsons on Feb 8, 12 6:49 AM

[Post New]by bearrat on Feb 10, 12 11:42 AM
forgetyou wrote:Sorry I purchased this game - I'm stuck already! Can't get the safe combination.

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Feb 13, 12 7:16 AM
Well after reading everyones reviews, I will not be playing this game and I like all the big city games. There are a lot of mixed reviews, but I think after looking at all of the blogs there is more bad about the game than good.

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Feb 14, 12 4:46 PM
Hi fishies,

Please excuse the interruption, but I just wanted to let you all know that we have a new version of Big City Adventure: London Classic available now!

This update includes more frequent mini-game skip coins, easier to complete mini-games (including the safecracker and scarab mini-games), and easier to understand instructions for the mini-games.

For more information on how to get the newest version of this game, please click on the following link:

UPDATE! New version available for Big City Adventure: London Classic! Feb. 14, 2012

Happy gaming, and now, back to the reviews!

-bfgHondo

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Feb 14, 12 9:52 PM
Well, I have deleted by glowing game review that I posted after playing the original version of this game. I have gone to the other sites where I posted reviews and changed them also. For me this game has now gone from a 4 star rating to a 1 star rating.

For me the puzzles made the game. They were not hard puzzles. They required some thought and isn’t that what puzzles are about? Almost every post from the people who did not like the puzzles asked for more skips. I have seen this over and over in games. There are people who just don’t like puzzles and they seem to be happy to skip them after about 60 seconds. This game made people wait 30 minutes before they could skip a puzzle. I think that was the flaw in the game, not the difficulty of the puzzles.

If the developer had made the skips available for each puzzle, the non-puzzle lovers would have happily skipped their way through the game. And the puzzle lovers would have happily solved their way through the game. So what did the developer do? They gave the non-puzzle players what they wanted, really dumbed down puzzles, and left the puzzle lovers with nothing but disappointment. Why couldn’t they have put more skips in the game and left the puzzles alone?

When I was new to gaming I was intimidated and frustrated by many games but as I continued to play and develop my skill I began to get better. I vividly remember how hard I thought Azada was when I first played it, but I was new to gaming. I stuck with it and replayed Azada and repeated levels when I ran out of time. Each time I learned something and I appreciated the challenge of the game. The puzzles in Azada that I found hard became the ones I played over and over until I could see the reasons and patterns and logic of each one. Learning is a good thing.

If game developers continue to hand hold and dumb down games, gamers will not keep this as their hobby for very long. The more games they play the more skill they will acquire; and if the only games available are mindless easy games that offer no challenge, they will move on. There are posts every day in the adventure HOG game forums from seasoned gamers begging developers to include an expert mode with no sparkles and no hand holding.

Continued …

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Feb 14, 12 9:53 PM
I am glad I found and played this game in the original version. Now I am sick about the changes. It seems that this game developer has decided to make games that don’t appeal to seasoned players, so I will not buy games from this developer in the future.

Edited on 02/14/2012 at 9:54:51 PM PST

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by vezzettj on Feb 24, 12 1:24 PM
I agree wth LizzieK! I just demoed this today (after the "fix") so I didn't have the "real" puzzles, just the easy versions. And although I was enjoying the varied mini games I am disappointed to learn they were over simplified... taking this game from a "buy" to a "maybe as a Daily Deal".

Different gamers like different things, that is why we have Relaxed and Timed modes, Casual and Advanced modes, and so on. Honestly, the mini games should only have been made easier in the Relaxed mode, or as LizzieK suggests, just add more skip coins for people who don't play puzzles. I guess this is the problem with making a "hybrid" game (HOG and Puzzles). Not all HOG lovers are Puzzle lovers and vice versa.

Anyway, would love to see them FIX the update and add the harder puzzles back in for those of us who want them... after all, they've already been coded and tested, it shouldn't be too hard to do!

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Feb 24, 12 2:24 PM
Great idea vezzettj!

I also wish the developer would re-release the game and have the original game the way it was as a "hard" mode (although it was really only "average" mode) and the new game as "easy" mode.

They not only changed the puzzles, they also added more skips and added more bonus coins earlier in the game so your scores add up faster. All of these things combined make the achievements very easy to get. I think there should be some challenge to getting all of the achievements.

What this developer has done by changing the game is label their games as only for beginner gamers or player that want no challenge. I understand that there is a need for that kind of game but why not please newbies and old timers by offering both the easy mode and the more challenging mode?

I was so disappointed when the game was changed that I will not buy anymore games from this developer if this revised easy game is the sort of game they plan to create in the future.

As vezzettj pointed out, they already have the original game program so why not let the people who liked that version have it. That would certainly show me that this developer's games would be worth looking at in the future.

How about it Jolly Bear Games?

lch217
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by lch217 on Mar 13, 12 9:27 AM
I loved the pre-revision London Classic, but do not care for the revised edition! They practically tell you step-by-step how to solve the scarab games so it is no longer a challenge. Seems like people got to "lazy" to put their minds to work and think! The revision also shrunk the safe game and it was NOT difficult to begin with and now the smaller, simplified safe game is too easy. Wish I had NOT done the uninstall/reinstall thing to get the revision. I had made it thru the original game and it truly did NOT take that long or strain on the brain! It took even less time to complete the revised game. Wish I could go back in time and get the original game as it had more challege

Go to: