OLDBAY wrote:I hated this game ....
Why?

MABJBMB
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

Re:Reviews for Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls

[Post New]by MABJBMB on Feb 7, 12 7:09 AM
Just finished the game. The game was fun, long with beautiful graphics. Music was not obtrusive. A little lag on curser but not clumsy or bothersome. Although the story seemed disjointed, there was a lot to do and solve. I liked this game a lot!

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Feb 7, 12 1:17 PM
I did like this game especially the having to hunt for coins to get pieces of your map to make it easier to find places and also to find an object and the pieces to make it complete. I was eager to finish the game too and had to skip some puzzles so I'm going to go back and play it again. I find it always goes better 2nd time around.

hunny89
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by hunny89 on Feb 8, 12 2:50 PM
I put off buying this game for the longest time because of its small file size. Shame on me! By now, I should know that size isn't always what matters...it's also how well the game can play :-)! And this game has plenty to find, and plenty of puzzles. Next time, I'll go through the reviews a little more thoroughly before I pass judgement.

gamer_girl_09
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by gamer_girl_09 on Feb 8, 12 4:47 PM
**PROS** I loved this game! It puts a twist on all of the usual interaction.

**CONS** No notes! There was no "notes" or "journal" to reflect back on. There were a couple of times the player is told something by one of the game's characters and if you didn't catch what they said, you had no way to go back and re read it.

**SL (Story Line)** Not realy indepth. The various scenes are a lot of fun as far as puzzles and hidden objects, but not much to encourage the imagination toward a story.

**STRATEGY GUIDE** Available in the CE only.

**SCREEN MODES** (My laptop has a 20" screen and some games have completely filled it in full/wide screen, some have not.) This game has option for "Full Screen" to be checked or unchecked. In full screen I still have the black panels on each side of my screen.

**CURSOR** Can choose between regular or custom in the "Options"

**SOUND** can adjust both sound and music in the "Options", there is also an option to adjust the "brightness".

**PLAY MODES** Casual & Expert. Casual the skip feature and hints recharge faster and there are active zones of interest. Expert, the skip feature and hints recharge slower with no active zones of interest.

**INTERACTIVE HELP** Available, but optional and can be declined.

**GRAPHICS** They were ok. I've seen much better, I've seen much worse. This did not take anything away from the enjoyment of them game.

**VOICE OVERS** There are VOs that were done very well.

**MAP** There is a map. You must collect gold coins found in each of the scenes. Once you have found all of the coins in that scene, that particular scene will be added to your map!

**PUZZLES** These were a lot of fun. They were not difficult, but not too easy either.

**HOS (Hidden Object Scenes)** To me they were very easy. Some required intereaction to complete.

**HINTS** They did not reveal what to do next unless you were in that actual scene and then the area was circled. If you were somewhere else, it only showed all the different directions that you could go and not the one where the next move you needed to perform was at.

Edited on 02/08/2012 at 5:01:12 PM PST

jeri2
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by jeri2 on Feb 8, 12 8:49 PM
this game is so slow to respond to the curser that i had to quit. I only got as far as going through the gate to the back yard before becoming so annoyed with having to click and click and click on one thing to get it to finally respond. Delete, delete , delete

[Post New]by NancySusan on Feb 11, 12 2:05 PM
Bit taken aback at Spiritdog51 being criticized for bringing up something that has apparently affected other players including me, a sometimes slow or even hurky-jerky cursor -- and it does affect enjoyment of the game. This is supposed to be a place you can express yourself about a game, come on folks. As for the game, I saw a lot of good reviews/descriptions of the game here. I'm kind of on the fence about buying the SE -- I liked it, it was engrossing -- it's always funny when the actor sounds like she is speaking to herself in two different voices, but ah well... I liked hunting for the gold coins, finding parts of objects, etc. I played it on advanced mode, and it was still fairly easy to get around and figure out what to do. I'm a little concerned about the slight slowness I experienced with the cursor, and in one scene, I could hardly control it. I'll have to think about buying it.

[Post New]by lulu5281 on Feb 12, 12 12:05 AM
Wow what a fantastic game, one of the best i have ever played.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Feb 12, 12 2:39 AM
I didn't like this game at all and quit with 33 minutes left to play. It has broken objects you have to put back together, and pieces of scroll, portrait etc. that you have to find. In the first 27 minutes, there was only one HO scene, two puzzles or mini-games, and the rest of the time was trying to find the pieces to put back together. The hints weren't clear -- white stars that circled around, but on a background of snow, I found the hint trail hard to follow. Does that make sense? I did like the graphics and you do have the option to brighten the screen, but for me those were the only positives.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Feb 13, 12 4:54 PM
this game is easily the best this year for me

jueh
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by jueh on Feb 14, 12 9:41 AM
Just spent a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon playing this game, loved it!!

noirangel
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by noirangel on Feb 17, 12 9:38 AM
THis was one game I didn't want to end. THe graphics were beautiful and it was great fun with the interactive hog. I even enjoyed the puzzles! Well worth the buy. Can't wait for the sequel. Good job developers, can we have some more please!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 17, 12 11:35 AM
This review is for the SE version. Apparently there is something to the CE that is missing radically in the SE. For those who hate sparkles, this game has none. If it wasn't for the hint key, which is mostly useless I wouldn't have a clue what to do next.

I had to change from the game curser to standard because the game curser was so slow and jerky. The standard curser isn't a whole lot better. Inventory items seem to stick like glue to your curser so it is hard to drop them once you pick them up.

Right now, I am still playing the game but extremely frustrated and am heading for the walk-through, something I hate to do. The hint button keeps taking you to places that you have nothing left to do in....this is really annoying and has made the game very tedious and long. Mini games are somewhat easy, but not all. And the endless need to pick up pieces of the inventory items you need gets a little excessive. Trying hard to find an excuse to finish this game. Not really sure why I bought it in the first place.

Edited on 02/17/2012 at 11:36:39 AM PST

[Post New]by sundance3 on Feb 18, 12 6:45 PM
Did not like this at all. There is a BIG lag between clicking the cursor on a hidden item and it registering,- so much that you click twice the first few times. Also the hint button does NOT show you hidden items when you are trying to find the segmented parts of an item and the walkthrough does not load properly.
Sorry.

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Feb 19, 12 3:58 PM
I’m sorry to say that I did not care for Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls , although I wanted to. The graphics are very well done and nice to look at…but (and this is a big but for me) it’s not the “Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure” game it was touted to be in its promo. In my opinion, it’s not an adventure game at all. It’s actually a hidden fragment/hidden object game, with very few puzzles tossed in. When you do occasionally encounter a puzzle, it’s solution is painfully obvious and simple to complete. This game never challenged me to think, only to squint.

So, I advise adventure game lovers to look elsewhere (Scratches Director's Cut, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Safecracker, Hotel, Hidden Expedition: Amazon, Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst, and Chronicles of Mystery: Tree of Life, are a few examples of terrific adventure games offered here at BFG).

But if you’re a hidden fragment/ hidden object enthusiast I think you’ll enjoy Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls.

[Post New]by Butterflyna on Feb 20, 12 7:28 PM
I liked it. I like the little gold coins and the little extra maps. I love these games. Keep em coming!

[Post New]by Games_Blonde on Feb 22, 12 12:57 PM
Very great game! Easy to get into and enjoy.

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Feb 25, 12 5:56 AM
Great game. Looking forward to the sequel to come out. Good story line and HOS games and puzzles. Enjoyed this game.

Go to: