peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Re:Comments for City of Secrets

[Post New]by peglegann on Feb 8, 12 8:48 AM
Valdy wrote:
peglegann wrote:the commentator, was taking up my free time. Hence, I tried the game with him turned off If I do buy it, I am happy to turn everything back on.
Have fun if you buy it
Although, with the hints turned off, they were still working

Hi Ann...
I think it's important to listen the the narrator in the beginning - it's a tutorial. At least, I always have the tutorial on with any new game - you never know what new things you encounter.
But... should I come across him again later on, how do you turn him off? I didn't see an option for turning just his voice off.

Hi Valdy (Big wave)
When I went back in, I turned everything off, in the options.
I have a very bad habit of never wanting a tutorial but fully agree with you, we have to bear with this guy just at the beginning, to get the gist of this game. IMHO. LOL!
Mhatfie I stopped where you did, I just have not had the chance to play anymore today but I have the feeling that this may be a buy either now or in the near future.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Feb 8, 12 9:01 AM
peglegann wrote:
Valdy wrote:
peglegann wrote:the commentator, was taking up my free time. Hence, I tried the game with him turned off If I do buy it, I am happy to turn everything back on.
Have fun if you buy it
Although, with the hints turned off, they were still working

Hi Ann...
I think it's important to listen the the narrator in the beginning - it's a tutorial. At least, I always have the tutorial on with any new game - you never know what new things you encounter.
But... should I come across him again later on, how do you turn him off? I didn't see an option for turning just his voice off.

Hi Valdy (Big wave)
I have a very bad habit of never wanting a tutorial but fully agree with you, we have to bear with this guy just at the beginning, to get the gist of this game. IMHO. LOL!
Mhatfie I stopped where you did, I just have not had the chance to play anymore today but I have the feeling that this may be a buy either now or in the near future.

Hey Ann/Valdy,
I think I will buy sooner or later also. Ok I can bear with this little guy if its only for the tutorial. LOL.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 8, 12 10:13 AM
peglegann wrote:Hi Valdy (Big wave)

Ah, no. I don't want to turn all of the voices off. I thought that maybe there was some way of just getting rid of the narrator's voice. But that's OK. He only really talks a lot in the beginning.

Gosh, this game is exhausting. LOL I only managed to finish episode 1, and am slightly into episode 2, but have to take a rest and play something else in the meantime.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 8, 12 10:15 AM
mhatfie wrote:Hey Ann/Valdy,
I think I will buy sooner or later also. Ok I can bear with this little guy if its only for the tutorial. LOL.

Hey mhatfie...

Exhausting game, this one. LOL But it's also quite fun. You really just have to get through the first bit, where you have to build the lift (or elevator as peeps say in the US of A). After that, it's much more fun.

I am really loving the accents. One sounds just like an actor from London who mostly plays a baddy. Can't remember his name now. But anyway, really fun.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Feb 8, 12 12:05 PM
Valdy wrote:
mhatfie wrote:Hey Ann/Valdy,

Hey mhatfie...

Exhausting game, this one. LOL But it's also quite fun. You really just have to get through the first bit, where you have to build the lift (or elevator as peeps say in the US of A). After that, it's much more fun. I am really loving the accents. One sounds just like an actor from London who mostly plays a baddy. Can't remember his name now. But anyway, really fun.

Ok Valdy, I trust you so it's a definite buy for me. I was exhausted just trying to put the "lift" together, but its good to know that is more fun after that. I've got my walkthrough ready just in case LOL.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 8, 12 12:58 PM
mhatfie wrote:I've got my walkthrough ready just in case LOL.

LOL When it comes to adventure games, I never play them without one close by.

skyboytoo
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,872 Posts

[Post New]by skyboytoo on Feb 8, 12 1:46 PM
I love point-and-click games, it's a shame this was so bad. Annoying voice acting, too many bugs and badly designed puzzles, and bad writing. The one upside is the nice graphics, but if you want a good adventure game, I reccomend a classic like Monkey Island, or even something newer like Gemini Rue. Neither of those are available here, but they are a much better use of your money/game credits.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Feb 8, 12 1:50 PM
I really want to give this game a fair chance, however, I don't know how to play adventure games without getting frustrated. Seriously I want to like it. I own siberia and a few others and I just get lost. Maybe I am to impatient, well I know I am, but I find myself going around in circles and not gaining. Whats the secret to enjoy these games? Patience, clicking on everything around you? Those who love adventure games, tell me why, I want to know what I am missing or not doing so I can enjoy them. I'm playing royal envoy 2 and love it, so changes and variety is good for me. I am open to any tips and tricks to allow me to play and like adventure games, right now I hate them but its because I dont' know what i'm doing.

skyboytoo
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,872 Posts

[Post New]by skyboytoo on Feb 8, 12 2:00 PM
XtreemNorth wrote:I really want to give this game a fair chance, however, I don't know how to play adventure games without getting frustrated. Seriously I want to like it. I own siberia and a few others and I just get lost. Maybe I am to impatient, well I know I am, but I find myself going around in circles and not gaining. Whats the secret to enjoy these games? Patience, clicking on everything around you? Those who love adventure games, tell me why, I want to know what I am missing or not doing so I can enjoy them. I'm playing royal envoy 2 and love it, so changes and variety is good for me. I am open to any tips and tricks to allow me to play and like adventure games, right now I hate them but its because I dont' know what i'm doing.

Walkthroughs are always good, a good game can be ruined by an impossibly hard puzzle. and the reason I love adventure games is because they feel like interactive movies. You're right there in the plot, solving puzzles and talking to other characters as the plot unfolds. A good adventure game makes you care about the characters as you would in a good movie. That's why I love them.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Feb 8, 12 2:47 PM

Walkthroughs are always good, a good game can be ruined by an impossibly hard puzzle. and the reason I love adventure games is because they feel like interactive movies. You're right there in the plot, solving puzzles and talking to other characters as the plot unfolds. A good adventure game makes you care about the characters as you would in a good movie. That's why I love them.

Thats what I will do is follow the walkthrough, take my time and like you said, get to know the characters etc. I really do want to enjoy these games. thanks for advise

skyboytoo
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,872 Posts

[Post New]by skyboytoo on Feb 8, 12 6:12 PM
I'm glad I could help. I'm always trying to get people into Adventure games, their popularity has seriously decreased since the 90's, so I try to do my part to increase it.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Feb 8, 12 9:45 PM
skyboytoo wrote:I'm glad I could help. I'm always trying to get people into Adventure games, their popularity has seriously decreased since the 90's, so I try to do my part to increase it.

Hi there skyboytoo,
Remember the weeks/months trying to get through Myst, Riven etc and having to change CDs, having to "Pay" for online help on dial-up speed or joining a bulletin board - or if you were like me, just stumble along. Oh, that was earlier than the 90s. But the sentiment is the same.
(Off the topic, but I purchased Amerzone for an almighty AUS$79.99 off the shelf when it was first released and find it amazing that it has been released here in chapters. )
It seems to me that those who want to succeed at adventure games these days forget one thing - there is a solution, but it might take a lot of bloody hard work to get there.
Then again, if the story doesn't entice one to play, why bother putting yourself through it? This is a bit cutesy for me, so I don't think I will bother.
I do have Rhiannon to conquer. LOL
Cheers

Edited on 02/08/2012 at 9:47:08 PM PST

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Feb 9, 12 1:34 AM
XtreemNorth wrote:I really want to give this game a fair chance, however, I don't know how to play adventure games without getting frustrated. Seriously I want to like it. I own siberia and a few others and I just get lost. Maybe I am to impatient, well I know I am, but I find myself going around in circles and not gaining. Whats the secret to enjoy these games? Patience, clicking on everything around you? Those who love adventure games, tell me why, I want to know what I am missing or not doing so I can enjoy them. I'm playing royal envoy 2 and love it, so changes and variety is good for me. I am open to any tips and tricks to allow me to play and like adventure games, right now I hate them but its because I dont' know what i'm doing.

The secret to playing an adventure game? Click on everything and everyone and listen to what they say. The point to this type of game IS the dialogue. A bit like a book really. As I said in review thread this reminds me of Discworld Games - the fun is in what they say.

This partcular game has an icon you can click and all the places you are able to interact with are highlighted. Easy Peasy.
And Oh Yeah - you have to think!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 9, 12 6:43 AM
I am almost finished with Episode 4, and then there is only one to go. *phew* LOL

And I am glad I have that walkthrough handy, especially for when I had to enter the maze a second time, and for getting the musical instruments in the right order, and such, although the HINT button really does help in this game as well. But I always like to have a backup, just in case one doesn't give enough info.

pattyjo
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by pattyjo on Feb 10, 12 10:59 AM
I usually love this sort of game but this one is so frustrating ! Even with a walk T. it is impossible to figure out what to do next. I have tried and tried I thought it would be a little like Grim Fandango and it is but way to random to be able to figure out what to do next. So sad I really wanted to play this game.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Feb 12, 12 6:56 AM
What a great game. Hats off to the developers for this one. The cut scenes at the end were hilarious. I'd like to see more from these guys. My only complaint was having to listen to that stupid rat in the tank every time I got caught. I would have liked to have been able to bypass that and just try again.

Edited on 02/12/2012 at 6:57:45 AM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Aug 7, 12 2:36 PM
does this game have another name?

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Oct 12, 12 12:14 PM
Does anybody have any tips on the dump puzzle since the skip button freezes the game if you try to use it. The train keeps getting stuck on one side or the other and I can't make it move.

Go to: