HYDEPARK4
Minnow
Minnow
270 Posts

Re:Reviews for City of Secrets

[Post New]by HYDEPARK4 on Feb 8, 12 11:54 AM
Cute game - reminds me of "Sam and Max" games.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Feb 8, 12 12:00 PM

HYDEPARK4 wrote:Cute game - reminds me of "Sam and Max" games.

Yes! I agree. I loved those games!

popcorngal
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by popcorngal on Feb 8, 12 12:31 PM
(Already wrote the following text on the 'game page,' but wanted to post in the forum as well, in the hope that it might encourage more people to give it a try!)

Don't normally do reviews, especially after only playing the demo, but wanted to help raise the rating on this game.

This game is a point and click, tongue-in-cheek adventure; lots of sly narration and excellent vocal repartee. The animation is well done and so far I'm greatly enjoying the storyline. As far as the difficulty goes, if you're unfamiliar with this genre, it will probably take a bit more time to figure things out.

For those who have played old adventure games like Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Emerald City Confidential, etc, you should definitely give this a look.. and if you like it, be sure to let others know, since good adventure games are tough to find these days!

*runs off to purchase*

catzzz666
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by catzzz666 on Feb 8, 12 12:34 PM
adr8p wrote:This game is brilliant, i just giggled from the start. I love the narrator, not done much of game so far but have bought it just for the laughs. I'm british so the moles voice, I think, matches him, and as for the 'lift' being a mistake..... should have said elevator....lol that tickled me.

It is not a mistake, just a difference between American English and British English. In England we call an elevator a "Lift"...'just thought I'd clarify that for other Americans. HAGD

Edited on 02/08/2012 at 12:36:15 PM PST

truddi
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by truddi on Feb 8, 12 12:45 PM
12 minutes of agony from chat, chat and more chat.

I couldn't concentrate on playing the game for all the repetitive chat.

A shame me thinks as this may be a good game.

Perhaps if I take it to a library to play it may help?

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Feb 8, 12 2:28 PM
I have been one of those people asking BFG for something different and fun and they have certainly delivered because this adventure from Aidem Media is the third game that I have bought in as many days .

This particular game is 'right up my street' as, like HydePark and Jkuci, I am a big fan of humorous point and click games like the old Sam & Max and thus it only took me 10 minutes to decide I must have it .

I really hope that this is the first of many new games of this type being/to be made ... hint, hint .

I would love to stay and extol the virtues of this particular game (witty dialogue, good cartoon style graphics, voiceovers etc) but alas I can't as there is a waiting for me to rescue him.

Cherb

Thanks for a fun game devs and thank you BFG for bringing it to us .

barbaralbb
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by barbaralbb on Feb 8, 12 2:53 PM
It's cute, it odd, it's quirky, it's unique (in my experience) and, after finishing the demo, I've decided to buy it.

Thanks BFG for another game that's out of the ordinary. It's not my usual type of game (I like Hogs, Ihogs, etc) but I had fun and look forward to figuring out what happens next for the little mole "guy"!

NikkiNox
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by NikkiNox on Feb 8, 12 3:55 PM
I was sold when I read the reference to Guybrush Threepwood! Ack! I'm excited and off to download! Did you know? You just can't get those Monkey Island games anymore, it's a shame! My kids and I loved them! Hint, hint !

Edited on 02/08/2012 at 4:04:32 PM PST

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Feb 8, 12 4:21 PM
I didn't like this game at all. Those who have patience may be able to take the time with this game. The narrator talked way to much, there were hints around the room, when you clicked on them the narrator said the same thing over and over again. Those with a type A personality will give up very quickly. I gave up very quickly.

adr8p
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by adr8p on Feb 9, 12 2:56 AM
catzzz666 wrote:
adr8p wrote:This game is brilliant, i just giggled from the start. I love the narrator, not done much of game so far but have bought it just for the laughs. I'm british so the moles voice, I think, matches him, and as for the 'lift' being a mistake..... should have said elevator....lol that tickled me.

It is not a mistake, just a difference between American English and British English. In England we call an elevator a "Lift"...'just thought I'd clarify that for other Americans. HAGD

Hi, yes i know it is a difference between american and british english (have lived with an american for 5 yrs) it was the narrator that referred it to being a 'mistake' in the game.

lucyb24
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by lucyb24 on Feb 9, 12 4:48 PM
I don't remember the last time I had so much fun and laughed out loud with a game. But buyer beware, this is a point and click adventure with a lot of dialog--but it's so funny. Very challenging game. I needed a bunch of hints which they are generous with, but they don't hold your hand--you still have to think. Thank you BF! Finally something different. Finally a pure adventure game. And yes, I agree, definitely reminisent of Sam & Max. This is to be thoroughly enjoyed and taken time with. Love the little nuances like Rex the dog every so often taking a bone out of his "pocket?" and tossing it up in the air.

[Post New]by veronique875 on Feb 9, 12 6:44 PM
Sorry.. motion sickness game. Wish I could play longer but no go.

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Feb 11, 12 3:17 PM
I loved the look of the game and probably would stick with it longer if not for the constant blathering. I lasted only 9 minutes and deleted. It won't even go on my DD list.

SaPTIC
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by SaPTIC on Feb 14, 12 1:27 PM
Refreshing and brilliant game. Pretty easy to play on puzzles. Lovely voice-overs too. Very hard to find things not to like about this game.

graphics:
story:
voice-overs:
gameplay:

In my opinion: If you are looking for some easy entertainment, not brain cracking gameplay this really is more then worth it's money. Wiitty dialogs, lovable characters and a funny story.

[Post New]by tallytutu on Feb 15, 12 12:56 PM
I loved this game!! what a refreshing change from all the doom and gloom of HOG etc. Please Please lets buck the trend and get more games like this.

Edited on 02/15/2012 at 12:57:35 PM PST

misnomer
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by misnomer on Feb 16, 12 10:22 PM
LOVE this game! It made me laugh and giggle through the whole demo. I immediately bought it It is a simple game, as most people who didn't like it seemed to get annoyed about, but if you play it for a while, there is some actual puzzling needed to solve some of the scenarios. The 'simple' part probably refers to the graphics, which are rudimentary, but then, I like the show South Park and can appreciate something that doesn't look great, if the content is good. Which this game has, if you ask me.

Also, for anyone who gets annoyed by the character's constant narrating (funny at first, but does tend to get old), you can always turn the volume off in the Options Menu. I still have the volume on, because I like hearing the other game sounds, but if the Mole's voice was angering me that much, I would try it, before giving up on the game.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Feb 21, 12 6:18 PM
I hope this dev makes more games like this. The characters are very good and the puzzles are fairly easy and the story line is well done.

[Post New]by raynestormrn on Feb 27, 12 9:07 PM
I like it. Old school adventure game, running around and figuring out what you need to do stuff. been a while since there's been a straight adventure game out here.

Fun cartoony interactions, and humor scattered around. Not sure how far i am into it but enjoying it, although the narrator was a bit strange.

JayPslp
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by JayPslp on Mar 5, 12 9:05 AM
This is exactly the type of game I enjoy and find so infrequently. Yes, you must find objects, but they are then used to complete a tasks, not just a list of things that have no purpose or reason. The characters are humorous and dialogue clever. It's a little slower moving than some, but the game is not about the time but the mental effort. Very enjoyable.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 13, 12 8:52 AM
We will buy this game.-------doug & lisa

Go to: