Virus alert?

picman050967
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,226 Posts

Re:Virus alert?

[Post New]by picman050967 on Feb 2, 09 6:49 PM
We downloaded and ran it through all the anti-virus programs and it came up clean again.
We will keep checking, but this game has been downloaded by almost 1 million people since we launched it and with this may downloads we have had only a couple reports in customer service.
When McAfee incorrectly was flagging our games we had over 5,000 customer support tickets in a matter of hours.

There may be an update out there that is incorrectly flagging this game, but we have an extremely thorough test lab and have now run it through several times with not problems...but we will continue to investigate.

Picman

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Feb 2, 09 8:33 PM
Thanks for your positive comments, msannthrop.

I DO understand the fear of letting something run even after a warning from your anti-virus program. I think you are wise in being cautious. There is something I didn't say well enough, and I didn't realize it until I read the 2 posts made a bit later that said you and someone else had had the game for awhile before getting the virus warning. What I'd said earlier is that a trojan could have already been on your systems and attached itself to the game file immediately after download, but what is probably more likely is that it could have gotten on your systems any time in a way totally unrelated to the game and stayed in hiding and just recently, for whatever reason, attached itself to the game file after you'd played it for awhile. I don't know why that would have happened, but when you consider how a trojan works, it makes sense....to me at least. LOL!

I got a virus warning about a game that I'd had for several years from another site (before I knew about BF) just a few weeks ago, and I saw some posts here about that game from some who had gotten the game from BF. I let the anti-virus "kill" it. Actually, it "killed" it as soon as I tried to run the game. Knowing about the McAfee troubles here, I decided to wait a few days before doing anything (the file was already isolated so my system was safe) until my AVG had done a few updates of its virus definitions. Sure enough, after a few days, I went back to the site and redownloaded the game without any problems. I was also able to open the game without difficulties. This made me even more certain that the original "catch" was a false positive that future virus definitions prevented from happening again.

[Post New]by msannthrop on Feb 3, 09 4:55 PM
UPDATE: I received the usual gracious response from BF - but in this case they misunderstood that there is no way I will put this game back on my system. When I explained this in a second email they offered me a coupon, which is more than generous - it was never my goal to get a replacement game (although I will take it, tyvm) - merely to alert them there might be a problem and I simply cannot risk it. I want to explain again my complaint was not about BF but to add my voice to those who had found this Trojan. There is a huge gamut of tech levels amongst the users here - and I also wanted to warn those who might not be as "savvy" as some not rely too much on the paranoid fantasies of others re: virus programs. It is so interesting to me that some responders offered useful and thoughtful advise (Gentlsong) whilst others immediately went off on this tangent. There is NO internet site that can absolutely guarantee nothing will happen to your system during a download - but BF does a great job trying and attending to this and other issues.

bfgErie
Catfish
Catfish
1,538 Posts

[Post New]by bfgErie on Feb 3, 09 5:17 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that we have contacted the developers of both AVAST and Norton/Symantec. These are the two antivirus programs that are incorrectly identifying our program as containing a virus. We hope that they will have this issue resolved shortly. Once we find that they have fixed the error, we will follow up with a post in this thread.

bfgBering
Clownfish
Clownfish
851 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBering on Feb 4, 09 9:16 AM
Hi Fishies!

Just wanted to give you an update on this issue. AVAST should be updating thier virus definitions soon to fix this error. We are still working on getting it fixed with Norton/Symantec as well, and we'll pop in with another update as soon as that is sorted out.

Happy gaming !

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Feb 4, 09 10:38 AM
Thanks Big Fish!

This is a great game, and I'd hate to see people miss it because of false positives.

BertaPep
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by BertaPep on Feb 4, 09 2:20 PM
A few weeks back I wrote in the Big Kahuna 2 board <<http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/19951.page#367281>> that not only was a virus found in my exe file, when re-downloading (after rescanning/uninstalling etc) the file from My Account area -- that too was found to have a virus. I run one virus program at a time and they are ALL updated daily (definitions and scans). I have firewalls and every other bell and whistle.

I appreciate the way BF defends their programs and programmers -- it is admirable and we would expect no less, however, when multiple customers have virus warnings about multiple games while using multiple virus programs and multiple OS systems, perhaps a more intense look is warranted other than suggesting that we update definitions.

I do my banking online and even THEY have issued this warning of late:
Security Alert
"TD Bank and TD Banknorth have recently been notified by Visa that an illegal data intrusion into Heartland Payment Systems' computer network may have resulted in the theft of some of our customers' credit and debit card numbers."

While this has NOTHING to do w/BF I posted it to show that NO SYSTEM is secure.

** Why isn't there a CS message board? A Tech message board? This has nothing to do w/Chit-Chat and is MORE than game specific and simply being referred to a FAQ doesn't cut it.

Berta

[Post New]by GamerGirl_31 on Feb 5, 09 2:08 AM
Hi everyone. I just wanted to say that you all are very smart in being cautious about viruses and such. Those things can be so very nasty. I know. I've dug a few out before...

One thing that I've always heard stressed at all the computer security sites is to be sure that you turn off system restore when cleaning out viruses/trojans as failing to do so can cause Windows to save a copy of it in the Restore folder and thus the darn thing gets "rescucitated". Also, some of these backdoor trojans require special removal tools in order to effectively remove them. It's recommended that you post a HijackThis log at any of the computer security sites such as CastleCops, TomCoyote, PCPitstop,etc and let the trained staff help you in removal of the nasty varmins.

That's all I wanted to say.

Hope everyone is having a nice week.

ed_h
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by ed_h on Feb 5, 09 7:43 PM
I use F-Secure Internet Security and it also reports a virus; specifically "Backdoor.Win32.Rbot.zvs". This is happening right at the end of the install.

I'll contact Customer Support and let them know.

goldenrodfarm
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by goldenrodfarm on Feb 9, 09 6:52 AM
I played this game for a week and all of a sudden Zone alarm thinks there is a virus, it quartined the file backdoor.win32.rbot.zbs. which left the game unplayable, I put it in the exceptions but still can't download the game succesfully and now it is doing the same thing to Robinson Caruso,

amybc
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by amybc on Feb 9, 09 1:43 PM
[b] When I went to my virus chest on Avast, I ran a scan and I guess everything was okay because I was then able to play the game. What is Hijack and how do you use it.

Thank
Amy

[Post New]by GamerGirl_31 on Feb 12, 09 5:10 AM
HijackThis is put out by TrendMicro...you can read about and download it from <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/faqs/list.page>[URL Removed by Moderator]</a> (I hope I'm not breaking the rules by posting the link.) Essentially, HijackThis is a tool that helps computer techs determine if you've been invaded by malware. It allows you to save a log file and you can post that log file at any of the computer support forums, such as CastleCops, PCPitStop, etc. Based on what that log file says, they can aid you in removing various, stubborn Internet nasties.

Hope that helps and explains things a bit.

Oops! I sees putting URL in wasn't allowed. Uh-oh. Anyway, all you'd have to do is click on the Security Tools section at TrendMicro and then selecting HijackThis. You can read about it there.

Edited on 02/12/2009 at 10:09:08 PM PST

mhardy12
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by mhardy12 on Feb 14, 09 4:45 PM
Just thought I'd let everyone know, I had Geeksquad out today b/c I had viruses on my PC. One of the problems had been that a virus was attached or had attached itself to this game. I had already finished this game so I uninstalled it and will be deleting the download. This is the first time I've had a virus attached to a BF game and I have alot of games. This must have been a fluke. Thought I'd let everyone know to be aware of this game and NOT download it. Good luck to everyone who did.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Feb 14, 09 6:17 PM
mhardy12 wrote:Just thought I'd let everyone know, I had Geeksquad out today b/c I had viruses on my PC. One of the problems had been that a virus was attached or had attached itself to this game. I had already finished this game so I uninstalled it and will be deleting the download. This is the first time I've had a virus attached to a BF game and I have alot of games. This must have been a fluke. Thought I'd let everyone know to be aware of this game and NOT download it. Good luck to everyone who did.

Please look for and read the thread about backdoor trojans in BFG. One of the moderators has explained what this is all about. The only reason it wouldn't be a false positive is if you had a virus on your system from somewhere else that attached itself to this game file since you've had the game for long enough to finish it.

mhardy12
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by mhardy12 on Feb 14, 09 7:07 PM
I appreciate your reply Gentlsong, however I will not be reinstalling this game. I'm not bashing BF (I love their site and games), but I won't take the chance. It might be a false positive, but it could also be the virus, no site is 100% safe and everything is possible. I just wanted to give a heads up to others who might be thinking about this game. I loved the game, but won't be taking another chance on this particular one.

[Post New]by francesbean on Feb 17, 09 9:47 AM
picman050967 wrote:We downloaded and ran it through all the anti-virus programs and it came up clean again.
We will keep checking, but this game has been downloaded by almost 1 million people since we launched it and with this may downloads we have had only a couple reports in customer service.
When McAfee incorrectly was flagging our games we had over 5,000 customer support tickets in a matter of hours.

There may be an update out there that is incorrectly flagging this game, but we have an extremely thorough test lab and have now run it through several times with not problems...but we will continue to investigate.

Picman

Thank-you for continuing to investigate, as I too received a backdoor trojan alert from my antivirus program (Mcafee) and Adware, and Spyware terminator. I uninstalled and re downloaded and it happened again. Both times it said it's in the exe of this game. I was too fearful to 'ignore' it after the second download, So I removed the trojan (after disabling system restore /thank you for the advice) and uninstalled the game. I did send this information to BFG customer support as well.
I really loved playing this game. It's a shame to have paid for and be without a game. It's not Bigfish, because I also purchased return to Ravenhurst and after weeks of play it is fine. My trojan was 'backdoor.mex.aa' both times.

bfgErie
Catfish
Catfish
1,538 Posts

[Post New]by bfgErie on Feb 17, 09 12:19 PM
Hi Francesbean,

Please note that we have released a new version of Liong: The Lost Amulets that should correct the false positive report from McAfee. This new version was released last week. When we prepare a game for release, a random series of letters is created in the games .exe file. These random letters happen to match a known virus that McAfee is on the watch for. To take care of this problem, we changed these random letters. According to our testing, this takes care of the problem.

I can tell you that we now have a person in our office who's sole job is contacting anti-virus companies about these kinds of problems. He spends his entire day talking to these software makers and working on solutions to the false-reports of viruses in our programs. We have done this in hopes that not only will these problems get resolved quicker, but perhaps they can be avoided altogether in the future.

I recommend reinstalling the game again to see if that corrects the problem. Also, you may want to try updating McAffee as well.

Uninstall / Reinstall a Game

If you are still having problems, please contact our Technical Support team. You can contact our support team by clicking here or by clicking on the "We're here to help" link at the right of this page.

bfgErie

[Post New]by francesbean on Feb 19, 09 4:44 AM
bfgErie wrote:Hi Francesbean,

Please note that we have released a new version of Liong: The Lost Amulets that should correct the false positive report from McAfee. This new version was released last week. When we prepare a game for release, a random series of letters is created in the games .exe file. These random letters happen to match a known virus that McAfee is on the watch for. To take care of this problem, we changed these random letters. According to our testing, this takes care of the problem.

I can tell you that we now have a person in our office who's sole job is contacting anti-virus companies about these kinds of problems. He spends his entire day talking to these software makers and working on solutions to the false-reports of viruses in our programs. We have done this in hopes that not only will these problems get resolved quicker, but perhaps they can be avoided altogether in the future.

I recommend reinstalling the game again to see if that corrects the problem. Also, you may want to try updating McAffee as well.

<a href=http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bigfishgames.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=492>Uninstall / Reinstall a Game</a>

If you are still having problems, please contact our Technical Support team. You can contact our support team by clicking <a href=http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com>here</a> or by clicking on the "We're here to help" link at the right of this page.

bfgErie

Hi,
Thank-you for doing this. My Mcafee is on auto update. I checked for new updates, then re installed the game this morning. Here's hoping I have better luck this time. If I still encounter problems I'll report it here and contact Tech support.

Thank-you for notifying McAfee. I think it's a great idea to have a position solely responsible for working with anti-viral companies and potential false positive.
I appreciate all Bigfish does to ensure safe games and customer satisfaction.

FlashKnockOut
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by FlashKnockOut on Feb 19, 09 8:56 AM
bfgErie wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know that we have contacted the developers of both AVAST and Norton/Symantec. These are the two antivirus programs that are incorrectly identifying our program as containing a virus. We hope that they will have this issue resolved shortly. Once we find that they have fixed the error, we will follow up with a post in this thread.

Can BFG also contact Norman? They also detect trojan and viruses that might be a false alert.

[Post New]by orangemen90 on Feb 20, 09 11:51 AM
Hey all...I know our beloved big fish test all games....but...i down loaded the demo on my desktop and played it for the hour and came back the next morning and it had been quarantined. i want to purchase it but am running kind of scared...

Go to: