Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Reviews for Maestro: Notes of Life

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Feb 10, 12 10:52 AM
Great game. I haven`t bought the Ce from this game, but as the SE its a definete buy for me

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Feb 10, 12 7:27 PM
mhatfie wrote:
cbtx wrote:I don't know if it's ok to mention the dev name or not (ERS) but I'm sure we can all see which one it is----after all, their games are getting so repetitious it's very easy to see who it is.
My, how the mighty have fallen! I felt like I was playing a sequel all right----to the Puppet Show games! The themes are the same, the music is on a very short loop, the hidden object scenes are the same old junk piles, etc., etc. It is so disappointing to see this once innovative, imaginative, and clever dev use the same plots, same game play, and same style over and over and fail to move their games forward at all. For those who have not played several of these games, I'm certain it will be entertaining but not for someone who has played many of their games because we've already seen it. All of it.
Graphics are quite nice as always with this dev.
Voiceovers are ok, nothing special.
Gameplay itself is smooth. (ridiculously long recharge on hint button though)
Widescreen option is offered but doesn't work (no surprise there---never had I had a game from this dev that did have a working widescreen. Oh well, at least the option is there so maybe they're working at it).
Overall, and unfortunately, the game is exactly what I've come to expect from ERS----lack of innovation or originality, just cranking 'em out lickety-split, change nothing from the same old fomula, and see if it sells and draws enough gushing thank-yous and warm reviews to warrant yet one more sequel. (Would you believe Puppetshow 4?!) I just believe ERS can do much, much better. There was a time when they led, but that's been a very, very long time ago. Not any more.Just my opinion, of course----as always, try for yourself and see!

My opinion also. I have to agree. I used to be one of their biggest fans, but not anymore sadly. It's time they change their style and make their games more exciting. I think someone there is stuck in a rut.

Did buy and, IMO: DITTO you and cbtx

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Feb 10, 12 9:38 PM
have to agree with all the response..enjoyed this one as well as the first one..graphic was beautiful and loved the storyline..

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 11, 12 6:17 AM
hazelize wrote:Somebody needs to have a serious talk with the woodcutter who lets his kids go "apple picking" in the middle of the night.

LOL Perhaps their mother didn't know about their nightly apple-picking venture. Maybe they just snuck out without her permission.

I know, I know, it's just a game, but when a story starts out that way I don't give it my full attention. When it's followed up by a fake kid's voice, I get annoyed.

The two things I still love about ERS games are the graphics, and the characters as well as their voices. I love that kid who tells me to save his sister. I love all of the characters.

I played the SE game and, as previous posters have said, there's nothing special here. Most times the graphics were clear and sharp but I found the HO (junkpile) scenes to be muddy.

I would prefer if all HOS were as clear and uncluttered as the very first one, the one that plays in the soldier's tent. Later on, the HOS do get somewhat cluttered, but because the graphics are very well done, I have no problems finding the objects.

I didn't play the original Maestro game so I can't compare it, but I've played lots of games like this one, which is just okay. As JulieJay said, this may be a good starter game.

The first "Maestro" game was very well done. Loved it.

Although I said that I didn't fall off my chair with excitement when I played the CE trial version, I am now further into the game, and really like it. In fact, I like this game far more than the last offering of "Shadow Wolf", which was a real disappointed after the first one.

ETA: I just wish that both the HINT and SKIP buttons wouldn't take as long to fill as they do. That is rediculous, especially in Easy Mode.

More ETA: Well, I am now even further into the game, and what can I say? I am loving it. Also, I don't think there are too many HOS. I think the proportion is just right. And I am very pleased that the puzzles are easy enough for me not to have to use the SKIP button. And I am really enjoying the gameplay and story.

Edited on 02/11/2012 at 7:52:58 AM PST

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Feb 11, 12 9:44 AM
I had this on my "Wait till SE comes out..."

When the SE came out I looked through my games and I bought it as the CE! I don't remember buying it but there it was. I always look through all my games before I buy a SE version because I have bought so many CEs and then bought the SE when it comes out,. BF always refunds my SE purchase but it is still a pain.

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Feb 11, 12 12:44 PM
There was nothing else to play so I bought this as the SE. And was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it's an Ers game and those of us who've played many of them are far too familiar with the set up.

But for an evenings entertainment, it was pretty good. Taking the text hints out of the black bars on hard core mode makes this game much more challenging. In the demo, the inventory items were pretty straightforward, later in the game they get a bit more tricky. I even got lost a few times (my idea of fun, ymmv) and spent 10 minutes running around trying everything from a huge bunch a various items. I love that!

H0 scenes are pretty dense in the demo but are paced better throughout the whole game. Mini-games are Ers' usual reworking of pipes, sliders, jigsaws and towers but they have always excelled in tweaking those to keep them interesting.

This is still Ers, if you're burnt-out it will feel like you've already been here. At the same time, Ers has been listening. They've added a few unexpected twists that need a bit of contemplation. For a fallback game, it's worth the pcc.

Edited on 02/11/2012 at 12:45:34 PM PST

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Feb 11, 12 5:02 PM
The game seemed all to familiar, then I realized it had a CE. I like the voice overs, and the music. It is an eerie game to say the least. I think it's a good game, but for some reason, I just didn't like it. Not sure why. Perhaps, it is just more of the same. Do try and enjoy.

Bogey_2006
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by Bogey_2006 on Feb 11, 12 6:38 PM
Just finished the SE. All in all, was pleased with the game. Similar to first Maestro game, yes, but it is afterall a sequel. Look forward to yet another in this series.

This series gets high marks from me for several reasons...

Forward progress without endless backtracking..

Pleasing enough music that when played at med-low level enhances the game rather than being annoying...

Not a lot of unnecessary voice overs..just enough to move the story along...

Nicely done HO scenes with interaction but objects are not so hidden as to take too long to find everything and interrupt forward progress..

Great job of weaving the band scene into every level of play and using the various instruments for mini-puzzles along the way...kept the storyline theme cohesive.

Beautiful graphics/artwork..

Game length...I was entertained all afternoon for a few bucks. (Value is a big deal to me.. (I've quit buying the CE's because the "bonus scenes" are not worth the $ imo..)

I recommend this game as well as the 1st Maestro game.

Edited on 02/11/2012 at 6:47:16 PM PST

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Feb 11, 12 10:57 PM
I thought that this game was familiar, I own the first one!! LOL I did play the entire time of the trial and enjoyed it so much, I had to go back to see how the first one played out. It has taken me over 3 hours (no cheating or skipping) I am near the end so if this game turns out to be as long it will be a buy for me. I enjoyed this game and the first one. The story line is interesting the graphics, voice overs and cut scenes well done. Thanks BFG

JMHO

Lean

Ok so I just replayed the first game and have just installed and purchased this sequel. Again thanks ERS & BFG - I love this story line. Sorry to those of you that thought it was drab better luck next time - I am off to play!! Happy gaming Fishies!

Lean

Edited on 02/12/2012 at 10:21:33 AM PST

patyaris
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by patyaris on Feb 12, 12 12:31 PM
JUST FINISHED PLAYING, ENJOYED IT VERY MUCH,A NICE SEQUEL, I HOPE THERE WILL BE ANOTHER ONE ,AS THESE KIND OF GAMES I REALLY ENJOY, THE STORY LINE IS VERY GOOD, THE DEVS DO GOOD WORK EVERY TIME. I DONT UNDERSTAND THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS BECAUSE EVERYBODIES TASTE IS DIFFERENT,,TRY THIS GAME IT IS GREAT.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 13, 12 7:19 AM
I too finished the game yesterday, and apart from a somewhat sudden ending, I very much enjoyed this game.

And of course, there will be a follow-up game...

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 15, 12 5:56 PM
I enjoyed this game...yes, it did seem familiar but I have the one that came out before this one, so maybe that's why. HOGs a plenty, but they are easy as are the mini games so the game moves right along. Lots to do, places to go and things to collect. You have to be a bit clever at times to find things. Also the mini games don't give you a whole lot of instructions so I did have to skip a few. The ending is a bit abrupt and a bit confusing so I think there will be another one coming up in the near future. I really enjoy ERS games and I personally don't think you will regret this buy. I didn't.

Edited on 02/15/2012 at 5:58:46 PM PST

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Feb 16, 12 11:12 PM
I found this game to be okay if confusing in places. One thing I found irritating was that some of the HOS were clear and things easy enough to find, but others were muddy with objects almost impossible to find. I agree that the hint and skip buttons take far too long to recharge, especially since I was playing the easy version. The ending is so sudden it came as a complete surprise to me. there will clearly be another sequel.

One thing I would have appreciated in the easy version was if the hints had indicated a direction to go instead of simply "there is nothing to do here."

This wasn't as great as some of the earlier ERS games, but it wasn't terrible either.

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Feb 17, 12 4:44 PM
Read everyones reviews and had to get it, the demo went by so fast, I could not believe that I had played it an hour, I am getting this game its is a lot of fun. Thanks for everyone's reviews

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Feb 19, 12 7:37 PM
really enjoyed this game , just as good as the first maestro, i have a couple of little niggles, waaaay too much running back and forth (an interactive map would have been nice) hint system was'nt much help and took forever to re-charge. and i found the h.o. scenes to be a bit grainy. these are minor gripesfor what is overall a fairly lengthy game and very good value for the money

medic1960
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by medic1960 on Feb 21, 12 5:51 AM
A great game! Graphics, storyline, voices and background music were wonderful. For me, the game lasted a long time and, a real bonus, it filled my wide screen.

Many thanks ERS and BF.

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Feb 22, 12 6:25 PM
I enjoyed this game more than Music of Death. The children are lifelike and beautiful to look at. The HOS scenes are detailed and sometimes hard or maybe I was just tired and couldn't see as I should.
I'm not playing this again right at the moment. I'm going to give it a rest and maybe come back to it, but both ERS games were great!

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Feb 23, 12 7:45 PM
I remembered (sort of) the first one, and bought this with a coupon based on reviews. I enjoyed it....not too hard although one puzzle really stumped me! Nothing really "new" but a good-looking game and entertaining.

timothya
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by timothya on Feb 27, 12 8:16 PM
Loved the game! Yes, it will be familiar to anyone who purchased "Music of Death" because it's a sequel. Duh. I think, though, that it is rather better done than its predecessor - perhaps newer, perhaps a different dev team.

It's about music, and the music is great. Voice acting much better than average. Graphics what we've come to expect from this developer, which is first-rate.

Two comments on the puzzles - I really liked most of them and one in particular, the sliding flowers (figuring out the controls is the key to that one) and one was just mean to musicians because the score and the notes didn't go together (guess that's what made it a puzzle, but come on - you ought to get some credit for learning to read music in a music-themed game!)

Oh, and full marks for one heck of a fine intro. Overall, four and a half fins of five.

gwenofala
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by gwenofala on Feb 29, 12 4:07 PM
I read the reviews, played the trial for an hour... the hour passed quickly because I enjoyed it so much ! The graphics are crisp and clear, well done, especially on the little boy.. he is so cute ! Three choices in game play, I play in casual . Any way I purchased the se with a free game coupon that BF sent me in email , and played where I left off , then I began not to enjoy it any more. Mabe I misunderstood but I looked in the category of puzzles this game was in there and after watching the vid and reviews like I said the beginning was fun. The rest of the game there was a HOS everytime I turned around. I don't mind a few every now in then but this is too much for me. I want to hurry and get through them but the hint button takes forever ! I have old eyes as well and I read where some of you stated the HOS were easy enough to find,, a few of them were, most wasn't for me. Now I'm bored with it . I find all these HOS tiring. The few puzzles they had some were enjoyable, some were just as big a headache as the HOS ! I know there are those of you that just LOVE HOS ! Then you'll enjoy this game, I for one find it tedious and wish I hadn't used my free game coupon on this one !

Go to: