Re:Reviews for Ghost Towns: The Cats Of Ulthar Collector's Edition

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Feb 12, 12 5:25 AM
Now, mind you, every time I do that my golden-doodle sitting next to me, always at the ready to protect me from monsters, starts barking ..and he won't quit until I show him the screen and make the kitty sound over and over..."ohh, mnom, I get it..YOUr making the cat sound...jeepers..and lays down elseware)
OFf I go looking for yet another (hidden object scene), I just love those (NOT)...
Anyway, you get the point. This could have been a really well crafted game, it certainly had the potential and the base artistry is definately there, but the developers missed the mark, especially as a CE. The developers need to look at their games on the screen that we see them , especially with fresh beta eyes, and work on updating their objects. I mean, how many tiny spiders are there anyway? Bring some sound into this, flesh out the characters, bring some life into the game and you'll have a winner. A lot of work went into this game but it missed the mark.
kris

romany09
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by romany09 on Feb 12, 12 6:01 AM
JKUCI,

I agree with your review completely. It is certainly "thinky" and maybe because it's based on one of H.P. Lovecraft's stories (he's one of Stephen King's idols, at least I read that in an interview once). Anyway, thanks for capitalizing the word "Gypsy" as I'm Romani (Gypsy) and always feel a bit upset when people don't capitalize it, although it's ok if they are using it as a way of life, not a group of people. Also, the family joke is that our Chihuahua would eat our faces off if we suddenly died, no question, and like you, I feel she should have at it! I'm off to buy the game!

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Feb 12, 12 6:52 AM
I just finished the entire Demo, plenty of HOG, plenty "of to do things", no interactive at all on the scenes, but plenty to do once you find the objects.

I played on "easy", while the HOG scenes were "fuzzy" at times, I took my time to find the objects and that was enough to keep me from using the hint button with the adorable littler kitten on top.

I think that was very cute and fuzzy.

Beside that, the game was kind of "cartonish" at time, I don't know why I felt like that, the graphics were OK, but it is a mystery adventure so I guess that is part of why the game looks the way it does.

The music was OK, didn't bother me at all.

I would have prefer to hear the characters talking but you have to do the reading with this one.

The game overall is not that complicated and neither frustrating to play I found out (at least on easy mode) that it was quite nice to navigate and use the objects found.

I definitely buy this one no right now right now, but before the month is over so I can get my three credits.

Edited on 02/12/2012 at 6:54:50 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Feb 12, 12 7:01 AM
Lately haven't commented on games due to being very busy. However, it seems that BF is just churning out these CE's. Just giving my opinion to help BF, which is a great game provider. This one is not up to the standards of the others provided and SHOULD NOT be categorized as a CE. Sorry not worth the price. I like to purchase CE's, but this one is one I will pass on. Voice overs is an essential for $13.99. This one does not even have good graphics nor good puzzles, which is also a must for me. I think this one was a problem since it did not come out last Sunday as expected. Murdoch told us it would be available last Sunday so that sends up a red flag that they had problems with this game. Sorry, BF. Better luck with Thursday's game.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Feb 12, 12 7:17 AM
I have to agree with much that has already been said. The story line seems original...the cat mewing did start to get on my nerves when the hint renewed or it showed you where to go next. Lots of to and fro, easy enough mini-games (puzzles so far) and lots of HO. They showed a SG but you couldn't use it..so I don't know how long this game is. I don't think that it is worth the money for a CE if you can't try out the SG AND can play the game without it just fine. This will be an SE buy for me. As an aside, I have purchased some great CE games and then again I have purchased some that were not worth the price. From now on, if I am paying for a CE, I want to see the SG first and the game better be spectacular.

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Feb 12, 12 7:21 AM
I liked this game and will get the SE for sure unless there is a CE sale any time soon where it's included. Just can't pass up the cats.

The story is good and the hidden object scenes were enjoyable and comical. Strange things were hung from peoples clothing and peeked out from places in it. This lack of voiceovers was a big minus. The text went by too quickly for me a couple of times and there was no option to slow it down. I started a second character so I could read what I missed.

But I did need a hint for a well hidden object and paid so much attention to the kitty that I missed where the item was. Then I had to hit it again to get the object and then a few times to watch the kitty again. Yup, the cats did it for me.

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Feb 12, 12 7:53 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:
cbtx wrote:based on the demo:

I have no clue what makes this game CE-worthy.
I see a lot of back and forth.
I see junkpile HOS.
There is no widescreen (automatically eliminates a CE buy for me).
There is no voice-over, almost a given in today's CEs.
The music was the same the time I played.
The mini games were nothing unique.
The strategy guide does not work (maybe in the full version, but they should show you something!)
And I got a bad feeling that cat lovers like me might have a problem with the content of this game.
So I will have to wait on other reviews and trust my fellow fishies if I'm to change my mind on this one. (and then only as an SE, game's not CE-worthy in any case)
No buy here - disappointing, I thought this might be a good one.

ed - spelling

This is a review I like and accept: Informative, and just about the game!...

Nevertheless. I bought the CE. First, because the developers are new, and I feel a need to support them, and second,because the game has tremendous high potential, if the resolution and graphics will be fixed a little bit.

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

Good point, Rebeca Lily. I like that logic! I think I'll buy the CE for that reason also (for me CEs are mostly about being too impatient and not wanting to miss out on any part of a game). Besides, having the strategy guide in the game in case I need help is a big boon.

If we want to see more from new developers with good stories then supporting their efforts is a nice way to show it.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Feb 12, 12 8:00 AM
sunnyglow wrote: However, it seems that BF is just churning out these CE's. Just giving my opinion to help BF, which is a great game provider.

I have to agree with you on this one, I have noticed also that since the attempt to bring the DE games we have gotten less than desirable SE and CE lately.

In my case I rather have a very nice budget for games coming from BF as my personal choice, but I am surprised myself buying so far since the month started only one CE and none of the SE.

This will tell BF that something is rather wrong if people like me that I know is many, are not buying like before.

Like you said, I will have no problem purchasing any CE or SE that I don't have, in my favorite category on sale, but right now with almost 16 games that I have in my game manager waiting to be played and many are CE I can wait for a while to purchase another game that is worth the regular price. I know when a game is worth, just one look and is a buy for me.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Feb 12, 12 8:03 AM
After reading the reviews, I was prepared to be disappointed by this game. However, having played 40 minutes of the demo I am pleasantly surprised. Yes, the graphics are all over the place, ranging from very good (not excellent, but very good) to really bad - the characters of both Menes and his sister are, initially, just awful, though the "close-ups" (for want of a better description) of the sister are quite well done. The cut scenes, so far, were universally poor - that's not a deal-breaker for me, as the only point of them is to advance the story.

All that aside, I like the story (I'm something of a Lovecraft fan, though I don't recognize this one). It's different from the run-of-the-mill haunted house. I like finding the cats, and the cat statues. I found the music to be appropriate and well-done, though I guess it may become a little repetitive. I played in Casual mode, as in the demo, I like to see as much of the game as I can. In Casual, the game was very linear and easy to follow - I'm curious to see if that is true in the other modes. I enjoy a game where, when you find an object, you have at least a prayer of being able to remember where to use it.

I also appreciated the fact that, outside of H0 scenes, the Hint button points you where to go without needing a re-charge. I can get very frustrated wandering around wondering what to do next, and a nudge in the right direction (without actually telling me what to do) is a good thing.

I think I've only come across one puzzle so far - in Casual at least it was simple, but not annoyingly so.

Still undecided whether to buy or wait for the SE - I think I'll wait for some comments on both general length and bonus length - but this is one I will be leaving in my game manager as a "Buy at some point".

KCErin
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

[Post New]by KCErin on Feb 12, 12 8:32 AM
As some others, I was prepared to be disappointed. I found the story compelling and want to know what happened. The quote at the start of the game is: "It is said in Ulthar, beyond the River Skai, no man may kill a cat." HP Lovecraft Since Lovecraft was fond of cats, I have a feeling they are not the villans in this story.

There are 3 modes of play; I chose the middle mode, Advanced. There are sparkles for the HOS in this mode. The interactive locations are pretty easy to find. As was said: lots of walking to and fro. Put on some good walking shoes.

The graphic style looks like some graphic novels - not that I've seen that many. The music did not distract (me at any rate). Voceovers would have been nice - if they were good VO - I'd rather not have any if the acting is poor.

The game opens in full screen on my monitor, but there are bars on my laptop. This seems to be pretty common - love my LG monitor.

The SG (once you get access after buying the game) stays where it was when last used. There are 6 chapters plus the bonus.

Chapter 1 - 7 pages
Chapter 2 - 5 pages
Chapter 3 - 7 pages
Chapter 4 - 6 pages
Chapter 5 - 6 pages
Chapter 6 - 8 pages
Total of 40 pages
Bonus Chapter - 14 pages
Grand total of 54 pages

Darla1108
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Darla1108 on Feb 12, 12 8:39 AM
I also was prepared to be disappointed after reading the reviews, but I really wanted to keep playing when the demo ran out. I have not decided to purchase as a CE yet. But I did enjoy the demo. The graphics were different than what I usually am attracted to, but for some reason I had no problem finding items (and I am usually one that requires a magnifying glass). Some items were well hidden but if I took my time I really saw them. I think I only used a hint once in the full demo hour. I also liked the fact that although there is a lot of to-and-fro ing, I didn't get lost and I remembered where to go. I didn't need the SG. I typically get lost in all these HOG/adventure games and I always need a SG or walkthrough. I will probably wait for the SE. I don't purchase a lot of CE's (can't afford it). But I will definitely purchase as a SE. I just wich this would have been one of those new Deluxe editions because I would have it today.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Feb 12, 12 8:50 AM
Darla1108 wrote:
(snipped)
I just wich this would have been one of those new Deluxe editions because I would have it today.

Agree completely!

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Feb 12, 12 8:53 AM
KCErin wrote:
(snipped)

The SG (once you get access after buying the game) stays where it was when last used. There are 6 chapters plus the bonus.

Chapter 1 - 7 pages
Chapter 2 - 5 pages
Chapter 3 - 7 pages
Chapter 4 - 6 pages
Chapter 5 - 6 pages
Chapter 6 - 8 pages
Total of 40 pages
Bonus Chapter - 14 pages
Grand total of 54 pages

Thank you for the info, KCErin!

MinnieK
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by MinnieK on Feb 12, 12 9:24 AM
I appear to be in a minority on this point but for me the fact that there is no voiceover is always a big plus.

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Feb 12, 12 9:24 AM
After all of the comments in the "Chat Corner" about this game, I was looking forward to its release. I am, however, disappointed. I find most of the hog scenes to be "junk piles" and grainy. I, too, would not purchase a CE game in which you are not allowed to access the strategy guide until you purchase it. I found the game rather convoluted, and had to keep hitting that darned cat to figure out where to go or what to do next. In case you can't tell, I'm not a cat lover; and all of that meowing got on my nerves after a while. The only mini game I came across in the demo was so "uber" simple, I wouldn't even call it a mini game.....and I'm not exactly the brightest bulb in the package when it comes to mini games. I would say that this game falls way short of CE status and price. I really don't think I will even get it with a pcc or gc.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Feb 12, 12 9:38 AM

MinnieK wrote:I appear to be in a minority on this point but for me the fact that there is no voiceover is always a big plus.

I think the voice overs can be great but they can also make the download file alot bigger so, I'm ok without them unless the voices are exceptional.

This game took me 6 hours to finish and I enjoyed it alot.

P.S. The cats are NOT the villains here and none are harmed.

Edited on 02/12/2012 at 9:31:55 PM PST

texgma
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by texgma on Feb 12, 12 10:14 AM
I am pondering spending for the ce. Game is just like to others , sometimes blurry scenes. Don't really think is worth the xtra money just for the guide.

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on Feb 12, 12 10:42 AM
MinnieK wrote:I appear to be in a minority on this point but for me the fact that there is no voiceover is always a big plus.

Hi MinnieK. Welcome to the Pond.
It is a big plus for me also. Sometimes the phony accented voices..... they ruin the whole game

Edited on 02/12/2012 at 10:43:32 AM PST

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Feb 12, 12 11:05 AM
Review after demo:

Hmmm....not sure about this one.

The game just wouldn't advance thru the opening scenes..lots of "wait time" but once it got to the story it did move along without further problems. I'm having a bit of difficulty with the story so far.

No acess to SG. The graphics for the most part are OK. The H0 scenes have no interaction but the list of things to find are alphabetized (that is a bit different). Sounds/music: I turned the speakers on for only a couple of minutes to see if there was voice-acting (none) and to hear the background sounds and music (which I did not care for) - otherwise I didn't use them. The hint was very slow to refill - I played in "middle difficulty". Outside of H0 scenes the hint showed a directional arrow to point me in the right direction - I don't think there was refill time for this...just when an actual hint was given. If I checked out every part of a scene before I moved on, when I got an inventory item I knew just where to use it. The H0 scene to adventure ratio seems H0-weighted.

Possible spoiler:
I do like finding all the little kittens and have to remember to look for them first or I tend to forget I need to find them. I don't know if this is an "achievement" or if finding all of them helps at the end of the game to unlock something else.

The puzzles thus far have not been at all difficult. The journal does keep notes but there is no map for those who like them (I do). Lots of back-and-forth (which I also like).

Overall, I am not all sure I will get this game as a CE but most probably will if it comes out as a SE.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 12, 12 11:13 AM
Here is my two cents... It's an ok game, not worth the CE price and don't like having to go to and from so many times. Haven't really noticed the music but maybe that's a good thing. Storyline different and something to do with cats. Too many times have tried to use things which I haven't found yet.

Go to: