vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

Re:Comments for Ghost Towns: The Cats Of Ulthar Collector's Edition

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 12, 12 8:33 AM
It is not a very polished game, rather simplistic, but I quite like it,

Totally agree.I thought it was very gentle and easygoing. I liked the graphics - bit fuzzy, but a change. Also the items to find were a little different. And not that I have cats, but I like them and enjoyed having one by my side while I played (yes, I know I'm sad!! ).
I won't be buying the CE cos I can't afford it anyway and because I didn't like all the backtracking - I don't mind that too much usually, but I got the distinct feeling that it was to pad out the game - not acceptable for a CE. And also - and I'm sure this won't spoil the game for anyone - when the sister finally moved away from the cat statue, I couldn't read what she was saying cos my inventory was in the way. And then she b******d off. No idea what that was about. And it's no big deal. But it is sloppy. Sloppy does not equal CE.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 12, 12 8:38 AM
In my opinion a CE should be something that knocks your socks off with all the bells and whistles.

I agree with you - I only pay the CE price for games which have the wow factor - which means I can't wait to play them. Any others I wait for the SE - and for many lately the DD.

JoBee1215
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by JoBee1215 on Feb 12, 12 8:57 AM
I tried this game and lasted 15 minutes! I don't care for the comic book art in the scenes but can deal with that.

What I could not work with was the floaty, uncontrollable cursor

Edited on 02/12/2012 at 9:01:00 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Feb 12, 12 9:26 AM

I bought this game and played the entire main game taking approximately 6 hours.

I skipped about half of the puzzles and did not play the game in the order that the SG suggests so, I did ALOT of to-ing and fro-ing which I enjoy very much.

I did not have any technical problems and the art was better than the first impression in the demo. In fact the artwork was quite good - not really cartoony.

The game is not perfect. The HOS have no interacting mini-games and the scenes, when repeated, have the same items in the same place every time although you are asked to select different items.

But there is alot to do and I really enjoyed it.

Edited on 02/12/2012 at 9:26:55 AM PST

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Feb 12, 12 10:45 AM
Game was fun to play & graphics were right-up-there but not the best of the best. Also, I wasn't involved in any kitty cat hijinks/conspiracy - but rather, to restore their good name (sort-of). Story here strays a bit from the original plot though, SPOILER (highlight to read) by transferring the wickedness from the elderly couple to the town's Mayor instead. I see the developers twist here as an attempt to tone down the story's plot by creating a beyond their control reason for the elderly couple to act so heinously, leaving the Mayor holding the bag ...for financial gain no less. Eh, not a deal breaker of storylines, but I guess it works in bringing resolution to the story. Wonder if Lovecraft would approve?
The "situation" speculation created here in the forums prior to this game's release was a little dramatic IMO. And I'm sure it continues with protest and outcries from protagonists. But this story made me feel like I was the and without me, the would remain in peril. So look at it this way...if you DON'T play the game and save the kittiycats and the boy, who's the then?.....

#1: Once all areas were open for exploration & since I didn't write down each location's description and what items/tasks were still needed there, in order to keep up with the constant back-forth-back-forth... without a map of some sort, I noticed I was using the HINT option constantly; in order to guide me back-forth-back-forth {{{pant,pant,pant}}}
#2: Once again, NO real/full widescreen ...really developers? (come on now...geesh really...?)
HOWEVER, to be , one comment here states they were able to fill their 24" widescreen. If I get a response back from a PM to him/her, and I'm successful in obtaining widescreen, I'll remove my #2.
Couldn't resist over-using icons this go-around (teehee).

kinget
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by kinget on Feb 12, 12 11:07 AM
Not being able to preview the SG is a major problem for me. It is the main reason I buy CEs.** I don't want to take it on faith that it's going to be helpful. One of the main reasons I didn't buy the latest Mystery Case Files was because I hated the SG.

**Well, now that I have Jigsaws Galore I also want the wallpaper and concept art to make puzzles from, but not everybody's graphics are good for that. These look too fuzzy. I can overcome that in most games, but not in puzzles!

Can anyone tell me if this is a "standard" SG with screenshots plus text directions?

kinget
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by kinget on Feb 12, 12 11:08 AM
Not being able to preview the SG is a major problem for me. It is the main reason I buy CEs.** I don't want to take it on faith that it's going to be helpful. One of the main reasons I didn't buy the latest Mystery Case Files was because I hated the SG.

**Well, now that I have Jigsaws Galore I also want the wallpaper and concept art to make puzzles from, but not everybody's graphics are good for that. These look too fuzzy. I can overcome that in most games, but not in puzzles!

Can anyone tell me if this is a "standard" SG with screenshots plus text directions?

kinget
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by kinget on Feb 12, 12 11:13 AM
Sorry for the duplicate post - IE kept throwing me out when I tried to post.

If anybody likes jigsaws, check out Jigsaws Galore. It's so much fun and doesn't take up any table space!

Edited on 02/12/2012 at 11:15:27 AM PST

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Feb 12, 12 11:25 AM
vicalana wrote:In my opinion a CE should be something that knocks your socks off with all the bells and whistles.

I agree with you - I only pay the CE price for games which have the wow factor - which means I can't wait to play them. Any others I wait for the SE - and for many lately the DD.

I totally agree with you

Ucwatuget
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by Ucwatuget on Feb 12, 12 12:42 PM
Did anyone else notice the art varied greatly at times? It seemed that there were alot more than one artist doing this. The boy's sister looked so different that I was taken aback in one of the cutscenes. It was totally weird.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Feb 12, 12 2:29 PM
CEs haven't been "knock your socks off special" in a long time. I buy them simply because I want a decent game to play.

This one does play widescreen on mine. I only played through the first several scenes and stopped to buy, because I want a game to play now. This one appears to be pretty good for a first effort. And I expect to enjoy it.

jkberlin
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by jkberlin on Feb 12, 12 2:48 PM
I tried the demo. This is the way I look at this game. It is an example of what should be a DE or a SE. In my opinion, it should not have been a CE. But that is just my humble opinion. I may take a second look at it when the SE comes out or a sale.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Feb 12, 12 9:29 PM
care___916 wrote:
vicalana wrote:In my opinion a CE should be something that knocks your socks off with all the bells and whistles.

I totally agree with you

I bought it, partly due to the fact that this appears to be the first HOG effort by this developer and they probably can use the and encouragement but mostly because I really liked the story (and that it quoted Lovecraft) and enjoyed the game even with some little flaws that really didn't detract from the gameplay so much.

Edited on 02/12/2012 at 9:29:51 PM PST

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Feb 12, 12 9:53 PM
Be at peace all you cat lovers out there. I have never been without at least one. All will be well with the cats. Fun game especially the bonus.

I was a little disappointed with some of the graphics and a map to click to go to a site would have been wonderful. But it is at last raining in Houston so just played this game all day and enjoyed being indoors.

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Feb 12, 12 11:06 PM
Thanks and devs, cute game. Really enjoyed playing.

[Post New]by puglette404 on Feb 13, 12 12:14 AM
I noticed that this game was pulled as the Tomorrow's Game Today and replace with the SE of Phantasmal Light. Maybe it wasn't quite finished or polished enough. I don't think I have ever seen BFG pull a game before. Interesting.

ETA: This game is not on the list of new releases anymore. Again, interesting.

That is all ;o)

Edited on 02/13/2012 at 12:15:56 AM PST

jennipurr
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by jennipurr on Feb 13, 12 10:48 AM
I'm enjoying the game. I'm a cat lover, what else can I say?? After all I am Jenni-purr! This is not fancy enough to be a CE and I was wondering about the Bonus, is it an extra chapter or just puzzles? I know I will buy this but as a CE??? For sure as an SE depending on what the Bonus is. Thanks in advance.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Feb 13, 12 11:03 PM
jennipurr wrote:I'm enjoying the game. I'm a cat lover, what else can I say?? After all I am Jenni-purr! This is not fancy enough to be a CE and I was wondering about the Bonus, is it an extra chapter or just puzzles? I know I will buy this but as a CE??? For sure as an SE depending on what the Bonus is. Thanks in advance.

The bonus game is a direct continuation of the main story. The main game ends with accomplishing your main goial and answering some questions. The bonus game answers the rest of the questions and gives a more final resolution of the whole situation. It also has new locations you couldn't access in the main game.

The CE also has the Strategy Guide, and concept art, wallpapers, screen savers and music. The SG is available in game as you play. The rest are only available once you complete both the main game and the bonus game.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Feb 13, 12 11:14 PM
puglette404 wrote:I noticed that this game was pulled as the Tomorrow's Game Today and replace with the SE of Phantasmal Light. Maybe it wasn't quite finished or polished enough. I don't think I have ever seen BFG pull a game before. Interesting.

ETA: This game is not on the list of new releases anymore. Again, interesting.

That is all ;o)

Not sure what's going on with your internet and/or pc, but it was available all day yesterday (the 12th) as "tomorrow's game" and has been the new release for today (the 13th) every time I've signed on for both days. Phantasmal Light was "tomorrow's game" on the 11th and the new release on the 12th.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Feb 15, 12 5:21 PM
Some programmer on this game has a hilarious macabre sense of humor. Has anyone noticed the extremely subtle tombstones in the cemetery (after you go out the bathroom window). Check it out, I don't want to spoil it for everyone.

Go to: