mystine
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

Re:Reviews for Amulet of Time: Shadow of la Rochelle

[Post New]by mystine on Feb 14, 12 8:15 AM
Hi Everyone and Happy Hearts Day
Ok, I've played the demo of this game, and just have a few things to say probably nothing really new. First off I really like the game in general...the graphics are outstanding..some of the best Ive seen...the game is visually stunning, and engaging which to me is half the battle...but, and devs I hope you are popping in to read these reviews and take note for your next offering....the HOS are interesting and actually quite easy...but OMG there are sooo many of them! I feel you could have taken out a third of them and accomplished the same thing. I also agree with everyone that the cursor has major issues...I have never played a game that I had to switch to the system cursor, but I did here. Devs is this how you intended the cursor to respond, or is it something that can be worked on? All of this is just my humble opinion and offered only in L.O.V.E....yes Im a Michael Jackson fan so happy gaming everyone

uniphin
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by uniphin on Feb 14, 12 8:17 AM
dramajunkie wrote:I got bored. The whole demo was going from HOS to HOS, nothing but. Pop-up boxes don't close when you're done. Graphics were very clear, voices good, HOS on the easy side, uncluttered. Puzzles all very easy. Maybe it gets exciting later on, but the slow pace drove me away without finishing the hour.

I agree with you completely, adding to that the very slow and sluggish curser, i got bored and fed up before the trial ended, which is unlike me

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Feb 14, 12 8:56 AM
This game has potential but the devs were lazy on some things which means it's a no buy here unless they fix them up. Maybe as a DD someday if there's nothing else to play. The graphics are nice and the historical context is always fun... I love when they add extra info about the period in a game. TONS of H0 scenes so fans of straight hogs will like that. I hated that... every time a H0 scene popped up it was like "what already?" Just too many, slowed the game down and took away from the story.

This game does NOT fill my widescreen. C'mon, it's 2012 and totally possible to make a single game fit multiple screen sizes and resolutions. Laziness not to do this.

H0 items are coded very poorly... for example... one item to find was a bracelet. So I clicked on the bracelet (several times in fact in several places). Nothing. So I thought ok maybe the graphics aren't clear and I used a hint. Guess what the hint showed? The exact same bracelet I'd tried to click on!! I had to click multiple times and finally found the exact pixel it wanted. There were other items like this as well... that's just one example.

The other thing I wasn't a fan of (and this is just personal preference) was the blue/gold utility graphics. All the lists, hint button etc are all in that blue/gold which was in sharp contrast to the scenes in the game. For me it detracted from the mood and just clashed. Also WAY too much direction... you click on a closed door and instead of just telling you it wouldn't open it actually tells you exactly what you need to find to open it. Not that it really matters anyway since all the items you collect to use are inside of H0 scenes so nothing fun to search for outside them.

I'd say 2 or 3 stars as is... 2 for the issues I mentioned but 3 for the historical details.

Edited on 02/14/2012 at 8:58:01 AM PST

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Feb 14, 12 9:10 AM
Finished the demo and although the graphics were good and the period history was informative, I thought there were just too many hidden object scenes. And I am a hos fan. Also, a tad boring.

The cursor did not float or was slow, it worked fine for me. I am on the fence about this one. Since I have several pcc's, I might use one as the hos's are easy and I enjoy the history part. The hint button is useful as well.

Happy Valentine's Day to all!

OKC gem

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 14, 12 9:15 AM
mystine wrote:I also agree with everyone that the cursor has major issues...I have never played a game that I had to switch to the system cursor, but I did here. Devs is this how you intended the cursor to respond, or is it something that can be worked on?

Just wanted to say that, like a few others who mentioned it, I had no problems with the custom cursor. I often see peeps complaining about the cursor dragging or behaving strange in other ways. That never happened to my cursor. *good boy*

Just thought I'd mention it for those peeps who read the reviews and think that everyone has problems with the cursor.

gamergirl675 wrote:H0 items are coded very poorly... for example... one item to find was a bracelet. So I clicked on the bracelet (several times in fact in several places). Nothing. So I thought ok maybe the graphics aren't clear and I used a hint. Guess what the hint showed? The exact same bracelet I'd tried to click on!! I had to click multiple times and finally found the exact pixel it wanted. There were other items like this as well... that's just one example.

I know which bracelet you mean, Gamergirl. I had to click a few times before it worked. However, I encounter this problem quite regularly in HOGs - not all, but enough to know that this is not an isolated incident.

Anyway... no sluggish, dragging, or whirling cursor here.

Edited on 02/14/2012 at 9:17:08 AM PST

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Feb 14, 12 9:40 AM
GTI really put out a nice one here. Awesome graphics, just yummy art altogether. The story has basis and you'll enjoy wikapediaing about Diane. Surprised the evil wife didn't get more into this.
IT's a tad short but for a coupon is a lovely 3-4 hours. Nice game..sorry it wasn't longer.
kris

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 14, 12 9:43 AM
for a coupon is a lovely 3-4 hours.

Totally agree - glad I didn't use a club credit on it. But absolutely fine for a pcc.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Feb 14, 12 10:40 AM
gamergirl675 said:

"This game does NOT fill my widescreen. C'mon, it's 2012 and totally possible to make a single game fit multiple screen sizes and resolutions. Laziness not to do this."

And I completely agree----and although for the time being I don't necessarily disqualify a SE game from purchase consideration for this bit of laziness, that time is coming. (Right now, I don't even THINK about a CE that hasn't taken care of this)
But for now, at SE pricing or coupon, this is still a good game----one can only imagine how much better it would be with a widescreen presentation for all of us.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Feb 14, 12 11:02 AM
cbtx wrote:Good Morning and Happy Valentine's Day to Valdy, Lisa, Lily, C-Gran, gmac1007, and all fishies. (and everyone at BFG)
I am in agreement with all of you. I was afraid it was going to be like that Shakespeare game from a while back, but--------
The game is excellent. I can't really add much of anything to what has already been said except that this game gets back to the premise of simply being FUN.
The scenes are all very beautifully done, and I really like the idea of their being objectives within objectives----complete a HOS, and there are still objects to find to complete the task. Different, and fun.
The HOS all have objects of relevance to the story----no footballs, cameras, etc, to find.
The only complaint I would have is that like Lisa, I thought the cursor was a little sluggish. But for a nice game like this I can ignore that.
I was also impressed with the variety of the scenes----from a creepy dungeon to a dress shop, etc.
I think everyone should at least take advantage of the trial----games like this are getting harder and harder to find.
A nice Valentine's Day game. (and a sale!)
Enjoy, everyone!

ed-spelling

I agree with cbtx, I really like this game, I like almost all games, hog's are my favorite, and now time managements. I love the scenes in this game and a nice variety of things to do. It's very well worth the price.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Feb 14, 12 11:33 AM
Given all the positive reviews, I really wanted to like this game, especially with the Valentine's sale. I never got that far because of the very small type. Oh well, for those with better eyesight than I, enjoy! Happy Valentine's Day!

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Feb 14, 12 12:05 PM
This was a very pleasant way to spend a few hours on this Valentine's Day. A story of mystery, treachery, intrigue and murder and the opportunity to save the day, as it were. Yes, the game is full of h.o. scenes, but there is a story line, goals to complete in each chapter, and some unique game play and puzzles.

I enjoyed sliding left or right within a location to another view of a room to accomplish the tasks at hand. The scenes fit the historical period for 15th century France, and the h.o. scenes were nicely laid out with period pieces and not junk piles at all.

It's an easy game, didn't need any hints or peeks at the w/t, good for those rather new to hidden object games or perhaps looking for something lovely and less challenging. I had no slow cursor issues at all, nor any error messages of any kind. Cursor worked perfectly for me and clicks to the next location were quick with no lags at all. A very nice use of a pcc for me.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Feb 14, 12 12:40 PM
OLDBAY wrote:Sorry but the cursor took the J out of Joy for me anyway !!!!

It was like that for me to, I had to go into options and de-select it, works great now.

unknitter
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

[Post New]by unknitter on Feb 14, 12 1:19 PM
I'm on the fence with this one. I do like the game. It's fun and seems to have a lot to do. The story is interesting with beautiful scenes. I like the graphics, although some of the scenes are quite detailed and a little hard to see. I don't mind an excess of HOS, and these were nicely done, but it would be nice to have some interactivity.

Maybe it's just me, but in the beginning it was confusing. The objectives box would drop and I didn't know what to do, till I realized that some objects might be there but I had to go to a different location to use a HOS to find some objects, only to have to move along to another location to find another HOS to find more objects... The same location(s) would also have me find a collection of other items... By then my eyes were swirling in my head! I suppose it makes the gameplay more challenging but I wasted some demo time figuring it out. My only other con is that flaky, floaty cursor. I had to switch to the system cursor early in the demo because it was so frustrating to use it.

I have so many other purchases that I've demo'd but still need to play the full game, but now that I've caught on to how this one works, I feel like I should buy it and continue before I forget. Yet I'm wondering if it will only get worse. Decisions, decisions... Oh, who am I kidding? I'll put it on my To Buy list!

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Feb 14, 12 1:53 PM
CasualGran wrote:A true Valentine's gift this morning. A wonderful, wellmade game, worth to be a CE, but presented to us as a Standard Game. BF loves us, it seems.

This is what I found, based on the trial.

- A good story
- Crisp and beautiful graphics
- Welldone voice-overs A big PLUS to me!
- Seems long enough to please many fishies

An instant buy. THANKS BF!

And Happy Valentine's Day to all!

I am in total agreement with Casual Gran and Rebecca Lily...wonderful game, with all the many hidden objects which I absolutely love!!!! Kudos to the Developers! More like this, please! Thanks for bringing us this little gem, BFG!!

Mimisix
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by Mimisix on Feb 14, 12 1:57 PM
Just when I had about given up on HOG's (due to just plain boredom), along came this little gem. I loved it. Graphics were beautiful and the story was fantastic. I love history but was not familiar with this story and like the fact that I learned something interesting while enjoying a good game.

It was not the "same ole - same ole" finding the same objects over and over and knowing exactly what I would be doing with them. And then running back and forth ad nauseum. There were quite a few HOG scenes but thats why I play hidden object games. Altho as I said above, I'm very bored with HOG's (wish we could abbreviate this) and now leaning toward TM games since playing Royal Envoy 2.

It did not fill the screen but never noticed it once I started playing. Seems to me the HOG's are all so much the same and I find myself no longer purchasing CE's 'cause I don't even bother playing the bonus levels.

With so much diversity on here regarding types of games desired, I think BF does a great job in trying to satisfy everyone's taste. They hit a home run with me on this one.

nell50
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by nell50 on Feb 14, 12 2:13 PM
Well, trashed this game after 15 minutes. Although nice graphics, the whole skeleton creepy HOGs have been done to death (?). 4 easy HOGs within 15 minutes with no interactive play at all is incredibly dull, and i only completed 4 because the cursor is so slow as to be irritating. Not a buy for me, I'm afraid - no real game play in mind unless you like straight forward HOGS.

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Feb 14, 12 4:54 PM
This is something different from the standard HOG. There is a bit more trial and error involved in figuring out what to do next. I used a PC on this one and am enjoying it. It's always fun to find something with a new twist which is how I view this game. Happy Valentine's Day all.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 14, 12 5:45 PM
Completely agree with CasualGran and Lady_Cav...both reviews pretty much said it all. I do like HOGs and I do like the way this mixes how you find items. I have a 20 inch monitor and have never had a problem with games "covering" the area, this one included. No problem with the cursor. HOGs appropriate for setting. Nice voice-overs. Games pretty simple and easy, but a very nice game. Seems a bit short, as the chapters are not long, but I liked it and I will use a credit. Sometimes, you just need something simple and nice. Thanks for the reviews.

Happy Valentine's Day!

seahoney
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by seahoney on Feb 14, 12 9:50 PM
spiritdog51 wrote:After reading the reviews I was excited to try this one.

Sadly I am disappointed. I too have a sluggish/floaty cursor which is annoying. Oddly in the hidden scenes it wasn't sluggish/floaty, but in the game it was.

I like period games, but this one wasn't very good imho compared to other period games I have played.

The hidden scenes, well the objects were very easy to find, not a challenge.

I didn't like having to collect things, or the way they set it up to collect them.

I don't know there was just something clumsy about the whole game for me.
No buy.

You can choose to use the standard cursor not as pretty mind you but it won't float

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Feb 15, 12 2:38 AM
I enjoyed this game. It was kind of a relaxing game to play . It was great, if you like HOS's. There were plenty of them. The graphics were very good and the gameplay was fairly easy to follow along with. The mini games , which there weren't too many of in the demo, were fairly challenging . The music was done fairly well. It was just fun to play. I would rate it a 9 out of 10.

Go to: