Re:Reviews for The Scruffs: Return of the Duke

[Post New]by Nightmare_mh on Feb 20, 12 2:34 PM
What a nice treat for this to pop up in time for the current sale. I beta tested this game and it was fun and light hearted. I have been waiting for it to come out. I am off to buy

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Feb 20, 12 3:00 PM
Not my cup of

[Post New]by tinam51 on Feb 20, 12 3:34 PM
Am so glad to see a lighter, fun game on here. There are way too many dark games. Will definitely enjoy this one.

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Feb 20, 12 5:47 PM
O! must admit that... 'I Tried it'...'I Luved it'...'I Bought it'...much better than the first which I recently reloaded and played a little while...but am hooked on this one...gotta go!...its time to 'have some fun!'...nice change up!

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Feb 20, 12 6:17 PM
I love the original scruffs game and could of sworn there was a second one, maybe BFG just doesn't have it? They are hard games, don't let the fact its mostly hidden object scenes fool you. I think I looked for the feathers for about 20 minutes? LOL anyways I really recommend this game although I don't think I am going to buy it which sounds kind of odd so let me explain. The characters in this game really appeal to the eye and ear. Its funny and comical in its own way. The game also has lots of extras that would normally appear in a CE but this isn't a CE. Totally worth the value and it has lots of chapters. I saw a review done on this on another site with 5 thumbs up. The thing for me is, I have been having really bad headaches lately and I can't search for items that are this hard to find or I would be joining in on the fun too. There has been a nice break lately from all the sinister games. Keep it up developers!

Edited because my grammar is terrible.

Edited on 02/20/2012 at 6:17:56 PM PST

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Feb 20, 12 7:42 PM
Sorry but this one doesn't cut it. I was willing to try because I love humor and this promised much. The hint dog is adorable and the voice overs are ok... but they dragged a bit (and I'm a story fiend!). Trouble is the graphics are lackluster and the H0 scenes are standard junkpile. I almost quit at the first scene when I found we were looking for ALL feathers... one of the most annoying objects to search for. But I figured it was just one scene... but then when it continued in that vein with poor graphics and junkpiles so I gave up. (Just to be clear... the characters and the dog are cute graphics but the items you search for are just stock and poor quality and considering you spend most of your time staring at H0 scenes it's not worth it.

2 stars.

katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by katiepops on Feb 20, 12 8:47 PM
I am a big fan of the first Scruffs and so happy to see a sequel. I do like the changes while keeping the familiar and fun elements around. This will be a buy for me. If you like this one at all, I encourage you to try the first one as well.
This makes me wish for a new Yard Sales Hidden Junction spin off too. I enjoyed both of these around the same era a few years ago. Looks like I still do.

Also wanted to add for the few who had problems with size of pic and or the cursor. Go to options and unclick I have widescreen and it will fill up your screen and is much larger, for some reason they have both automatically checkmarked full screen and wide. As for the cursor, in most games I uncheck the game cursor as it is wobbly.

Edited on 02/20/2012 at 10:27:26 PM PST

goddess280653
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by goddess280653 on Feb 21, 12 12:34 AM
goldendog08 wrote:While other couples may have a date night out to dinner...my bride of 35 years and I have have a game night each week. I cook in a fine dinner and we team up and play a HOG of choice for the night. Loved the Treasure Master Games, Steve the Sheriff, Dream Day. Mishap games, and Robinson Crusoe/ light, funny, humorous games..But we really loved the Scruffs-one of two games we ever played trough twice. Have been asking about this sequel from developers for 2 years. Finally got to try it and love it! Bought it and off to a Monday night date....

What a great idea for a date night each week and how wonderful you are doing fun things together after 35 years !! You guys rock

nell50
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by nell50 on Feb 21, 12 3:22 AM
WOWSIE.....I thought I wouldn't like a cartoon game, but apart from the characters, the rest of the game is not cartoon. It was a wonderful, and long, game......and I had a big smile on my face throughout, the talk was SO funny. Great puzzles too, one of the first games in a long time I did not skip any of the puzzles which, although not easy, are not so hard as to be too challenging for those who do not like puzzles. Well worth the money.....great graphics, great funny storyline, great funny characters, and it took me about 6 hours to complete. Without the reviews I read, I would have passed on this type of game because of the cartoon characters but I think this belies the skill and wit of the game. Do give it a try, well worth it for adventurers. I loved it so much, I also bought the first Scruffs!!

nell50
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by nell50 on Feb 21, 12 3:28 AM
pixielily wrote:This is the way HO scenes used to be and I like that there is some adventure/interactions. I thought some HO scenes where dark, but the dog as the hint system more than made up for it.

IMO this game will work as a family game and the humor is spot on. The skunk (not saying where, when or how) almost had me laughing off the chair.

Looks to be a good length and with extras this is a buy for me.

I give this a 4 out 5 (only because some objects are blended with background, but still doable)[/quote

My biggest laugh was the laxative!!

gamzoz
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by gamzoz on Feb 21, 12 4:09 AM
I beta tested this and have been impatiently waiting for it to come. I also bought the first Scruffs which I absolutely loved. I have played the first 3 chapters in this so far. This game has more adventure than the first one and I have found the HO scenes not as difficult as the first one (or I am getting better at it!). I love the humour and the change from finding lost relative while battling ghosts/vampires/escaped lunatics etc. It is not the most difficult of games but is very relaxing to play without being boringly easy.

5 from me.

NormanFan
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by NormanFan on Feb 21, 12 8:25 AM
I really loved the first one (still play it now and again!) but had no idea there would be a sequel - what a joyous surprise it was to find one of my favorite families back for more!

This turned out to be all I loved from the first one and even more besides! The addition of the "adventure" style and new puzzles did not get in the way of the charm and wonderful humor that made me love the original - it just made it all the more fun!

I know this is not everyone's , but for those who are longing to get out of the dark creepy mansions/asylums/orphanages/lost towns (and away from the accompanying spiders/snakes/bugs/rats), this game is a great change-up! It can be hard to find some of the hidden items, but the puzzles were neither too hard or too easy - I found them just perfect It also had a built-in strategy guide (that actually remembered where you left off - thank you!) and "concept art"... and was still the regular price Talk about getting your money's worth - I was also able to get it for the Prez Day special, so that was even better!

I finished it in one sitting (not because it's short - it's 10 chapters!) but because I really wanted to see what was up next! The ending also held the promise of more to come, but next time devs.... don't wait so long

Thanks devs and BF - I had the best time in a long time and can't wait for more like this. It just proves you can make a fun HOPA without going to the dark side all the time! Not that I mind the spooky ones - just not all the time. It was a break from the "formula" we've all been getting a bit weary of (lost/dead relatives, dark atmospheres, "car crash opening sequences", etc.) and a totally fun lark!

Now I'm just waiting for a dev to put together a combination Match-3 and Adventure game (and no, I don't mean like Phantasmat - I mean a true Match-3 where you collect inventory items for the Adventure game).... a tough sell I know, but those are my other favorites.... and a girl can dream

Chexmixmonet
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,816 Posts

[Post New]by Chexmixmonet on Feb 21, 12 8:30 AM
I am SUPER EXCITED for this game!!! It's downloading now so this will have to be an 'ETA' post!!! The first one was really great.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Feb 21, 12 9:03 AM
A funny, quirky, creative game that was very enjoyable to play. There was a slight repetetiveness about it, with all the scrolls, but the rest of it was so much fun.

The characters were great, really humourous. Graphics 1st rate. Voices altogether appropriate. Good story and nice music.

I found it really long, and with the built-in SG, terrific value for money.

Well done.

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Feb 21, 12 11:00 AM
Hi fishies,

I just wanted to remind everyone that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you haven't played this game yet, or if you'd just like to chat with other players about this game, please feel free to take a dip in the 'Comments' thread.

Thanks!

-bfgHondo

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Feb 21, 12 6:09 PM
Ha ha this one looks like a really funny game. I have not played the first one so I am going to buy it then I will get this one. It is a relief from the spooky and dark games that I have purchased lately.

MoreOver
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by MoreOver on Feb 21, 12 7:44 PM
I love this game! I am so happy to see one that isn't filled with dark, eerie characters or creatures that pop at you full-screened.

Game play isn't all hidden object either and I'd describe it as more HOG/A than straight HOG. There are various objects you will find as you travel from scene to scene that you will need to continue your adventure.

Take note that many of the characters have familiar voices. Did you notice Hugh Laurie's character from A Bit of Fry and Laurie, which is a TV series he did in England? Also Craig Ferguson and I think Eddie Murphy. Things like this add to the enjoyment and fun of playing. No rabid dogs for me, thank you very much.

Cartoonish characters don't take away from the quality of the game. Have fun with it. We deserve some lighthearted games for a change.

Videohound
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Videohound on Feb 21, 12 9:25 PM
gamzoz wrote:I beta tested this and have been impatiently waiting for it to come. I also bought the first Scruffs which I absolutely loved. I have played the first 3 chapters in this so far. This game has more adventure than the first one and I have found the HO scenes not as difficult as the first one (or I am getting better at it!). I love the humour and the change from finding lost relative while battling ghosts/vampires/escaped lunatics etc. It is not the most difficult of games but is very relaxing to play without being boringly easy.

5 from me.

I did too and and couldn't wait for this to come out! I wish I had seen this yesterday while the sale was still on but missed it. I bought it anyway.

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on Feb 22, 12 7:43 AM
goldendog08 wrote:While other couples may have a date night out to dinner...my bride of 35 years and I have have a game night each week. I cook in a fine dinner and we team up and play a HOG of choice for the night. Loved the Treasure Master Games, Steve the Sheriff, Dream Day. Mishap games, and Robinson Crusoe/ light, funny, humorous games..But we really loved the Scruffs-one of two games we ever played trough twice. Have been asking about this sequel from developers for 2 years. Finally got to try it and love it! Bought it and off to a Monday night date....

How neat is that? Thanks for the smile on my face!! May you have many more years of happy gaming together

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on Feb 22, 12 11:54 PM
Throughly enjoyed the trial...too bad I missed the sale. This needs to be top of the buy list. Am enjoying the story and the humour appeals to me.

Go to: