Re:Reviews for Depths of Betrayal Collector's Edition

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Feb 25, 12 9:49 PM

Played half way through demo and had to stop. I found no logical steps to continuing from one place to another. If it were not for the hint button, I wouldn't have even gotten as far as I did! I don't get it. And I like the circle to find the HO games. But this made no sense to me. All I got out of this game was aggravated!

feenix

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by vezzettj on Feb 26, 12 12:42 PM
Ok, "Key Object" (circle) HOGs are not my favorite but I did enjoy most of the Treasure Seekers games so I thought I'd give this a try... Too bad this is more like the Crystal Portal games, with unrelated objects being needed than the Treasure Seeker games, where the items for the circle USUALLY made some sense.

For example, in the very first circle, you need a number, a mining lamp (?), an oil can, and a magnifing glass... ok, I can get that to make sense: the door knob was stuck and it was dark near the door? and once you got it lose, there it needed a combo... sure, no problem (I'd rather be looking for a door knob, a screw, screwdriver, and then have a game to find the code or something but this kind of works). The next circle I can NOT make sense of: How does a pedestrian sign, button, watering can, and film reel (??) become useful on a screen door or handle or whatever is on the ground there? I don't like regular IHOGs that are completely nonsense either (for mindless gaming I just go for the basic straight hidden object games; no inventory, no attempt at a story, just lots of seek and find).

I didn't give the game much of a trial once I discoverd the meaningless circle items. I can give a summary from the other reviews but as I didn't experience any of that I'll leave it for the experts! I can confirm that the graphics seemed ok and the bonus items were all unlocked at the start.

Enjoy!

Edited on 02/26/2012 at 12:52:18 PM PST

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Feb 29, 12 7:09 AM
I just finished the game and thought it was fantastic. It is a FROG/mini-game structure with much traveling from place to place over and over. The concept was intriguing enough to hold my attention thru the 8.5 hours it took me to compelte the game -- but I am a VERY slow and thorough player. Your time will probably be quicker. I purchased the CE because, after playing the demo, I thought I would need to Strategy Guide --- and I was correct. I do not recommend purchasing the CE for the additional game play -- the additional play is linear, easy and short. Definitely not worth the aditional sheckels. But the game itself -- if you like FROGs -- is great. Artogon Games just keeps getting better and better.

An Okay, but Illogical and Repetitious Game

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Feb 29, 12 7:17 AM
This review is based on the entire game and Bonus chapter. It was an okay, but Illogical and Repetitious Game. It did draw me in at first and it was enjoyable for a spell, and I did finish it, but it started to get boring about half way through.

As others said, you click on something and then a circle opens and you have to find items and put them in the circle, but it's not a standard FROG (FRagmented Object Game). With a FROG, you find fragments of the whole item. For instance, there could be 4 parts of a scissors you have to find, and then you get the scissors. And usually all the fragments are in the same scene. Not so, with this game.

You have to find unrelated items (not fragments) and put them in the circle. When you complete it, you usually don't get an item, but something happens. For instance, complete the circle and a drawer opens, and then there is an item in the drawer. Also, sometimes the items you need are not complete. You need a camera for the circle and when you click on it, it says you need a flash. So you have to find the flash (in another scene), come back, put it in the camera, then pick up the camera and put it in the circle. Finally, most of the time, all the items you need are not in the current scene. There is a lot of going back and forth and there is no map. Most of the time you have 5 or 6 of these uncompleted circles open in various scenes. Then you find something, have to return to a scene, and put it in the circle. It became very tedious after awhile.

Also, the screen was so cluttered, that I had trouble finding some items. Let's say you have 2 circles open, a guard, and 3 directions you can go in. Plus, when you click on many items, text appears. So, I'm searching for the circle items, and I click a guard, by mistake, and he starts talking. Or, I click something and text comes up, or I move to another scene because I clicked too close to the edge of the screen. If it weren't for the way the Hidden Objects were handled, I would have liked this game a lot better. However, the Bonus Chapter was very good and took me about an hour to complete, so I do recommend the CE. In total I completed the game, with Bonus, in about 7 hours.

The graphics, music, voice overs, and sound effects were all good. I am giving this game 2 thumbs up, but with reservations. I rate this game a 7.5 out of 10.

Edited on 02/29/2012 at 7:28:58 AM PST

stx445
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by stx445 on Feb 29, 12 8:38 PM
Game played very well on my ex-wide screen monitor. Graphics were clear, objects easy to detect. I liked that the game wasn't dark. Sound effects were great and over-all I like the all aspects of the game, except the game itself. I didn't enjoy the room hopping, as this game has you doing that ALOT!!!. It didn't take long to figure out what to expect from room to room. I really prefer the adventure games where you have to follow clues and leads and use a little bit of thought process, as oppose to this game where you just wait for the circle pop up, find the objects and go to the next room to find the object to complete the circle from the previous room, then do it all over again and again and again.

Now, if I could get my gaming preference, mixed with the graphics like this game, we'd have a winner. I'm just saying, I appreciated how easy this game was on the eyes. No straining or squinting. I bought this extra wide screen moniter so I could see the darker games better, but they are just too dark. Not this game though. Not even a headache after LONG playtime.

For those who like this style of gaming, you can't go wrong with this one. For those who are looking for more of a thought provoking game, it may not be for you.

Edited on 02/29/2012 at 8:41:28 PM PST

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Mar 1, 12 4:25 AM
Well said, stx.

saadia60
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by saadia60 on Mar 2, 12 8:42 AM
good game. good graphics, but the ending really sucked. no idea what happened. I played the extra play and am still confused as to what happened.

silverfiesta
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by silverfiesta on Mar 2, 12 6:38 PM
saadia60 wrote:good game. good graphics, but the ending really sucked. no idea what happened. I played the extra play and am still confused as to what happened.

I think, JMO, there will be more to come - gone but not destroyed?!?!?

dogfish12
Stingray
Stingray
4,579 Posts

[Post New]by dogfish12 on Mar 9, 12 4:20 PM
Beautiful graphics, great hint system (didn't ever use the SG) and I personally am tired of the endless "list" HOGS so I thought this was a nice adaptation and enjoyed it more than I have many games in quite some time.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Mar 10, 12 4:22 PM
Still working on this game...it is a long one and keeps you running all over the place! Good grief that does get annoying. Love the voice overs, I usually turn those off, but these are quite funny. I spend so long looking for items all over the place I loose track of the story. But despite all that, it does seem like an interesting game. I just have to take a lot of breaks and then coming back is a bit of a challenge because the game is all over the place...you definately have to keep your wits about you. Thank goodness for the HINT button which seems to recharge quick enough...otherwise I would be completely lost.

Inventory items are found via the "fan" system and you don't find all the items in the particular scene, you have to go look elsewhere for some of them. It can get confusing and you forget sometimes what you are looking for and how to get back to where you think it goes. Arrrr

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Mar 12, 12 2:36 PM
With 4 days of solid rain, I finally had time to get back to some gaming. After finishing Black Isle CE and Dark Strokes CE, both of which I enjoyed, I played and just finished Depths of Betrayal.

I cut my BFG gaming teeth on all of the Treasure Seekers games, so this game of fan shaped items to find was just exactly my cup of tea. I thoroughly enjoyed this long and very entertaining game. The puzzles were very clever, and it added extra challenge not to be able to complete each fan shaped search until you found a missing item elsewhere and had to come back to it. There were many interesting locations, and remembering where you needed to go back to in order to complete a task took some thinking. Graphics were great and most of the music. Clever story and great fun all around. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in a while.

Thank you, developers and BFG, for this great game, along with the other two games already mentioned. They offered for me a much need distraction as I work through the grief of losing my beloved mother a couple of weeks ago. I hope the developers come up with more games like this. This has been good therapy for me in this period of mourning.

Gill_R
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Gill_R on Apr 15, 12 6:54 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game. It ticked all the boxes for me as far as this type of game is concerned:

Fabulous graphics, technically as well as artistically
Lots of interesting scenes to explore
No junkpile HOGs
Good hint system (I did use the built in SG 3 or 4 times but that was because I left the game and had to remind myself where I was when I came back to it)
Cut scenes you can skip (hey, let's get on with playing )
Not too much dialogue and what there was could be clicked through quickly (great if you're a fast reader). The dialogue was also pretty good in that it was brief and I didn't notice any glaring oddities, which often seems to happen with games from countries where English isn't their first language

I enjoyed the steam-punk setting and the mechanics of the gameplay and even though I "got lost" quite a few times (as in "I've found object X, now where on earth did I need to use it?"), I just used my confusion as an excuse to enjoy the fantastical world the devs have created.

I rarely have music and/or voices on so can't comment on those other to say that in the first half hour or so of play when I dd have sound on, it didn't irritate me (which happens more often than not).

I smiled a lot playing this game: it's good fun.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 14, 12 6:56 AM
this game is a buy for us.----------doug & lisa

allynann
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by allynann on Jun 27, 12 1:50 AM
great game, I had so much fun, story line was great, thank you big fish

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Aug 27, 12 7:32 AM
The invention of a robot golem did go horribly wrong. Why did all those people who worked on the project just vanish? As a scientist you are attacked and try to get to the bottom of things.

The Good:

+ unusual steampunk setting
+ traditional Artogon ring searches
+ ...with some items that have to be manipulated first
+ quite long game time

The Neutral:

o no traditional HO scenes (may be a letdown for some people)
o too many (strange scientist) names
o on one occasion the hint system sent me in circles without showing me anything
o videos could be fullscreen
o no animated faces on voiceovers

The Bad:

- the old problem with the traditional Artogon ring searches, the objects you have to find have nothing to do with the item you are supposed to find
- you can't shake the feeling that there are still things to do when a chapter changes (for example, I never found out what was the meaning of the drawing in the prison cell)

The Bonus Content:

The story picks up right after the (satisfying) end of the regular edition. So, for the full experience you will have to buy the CE. Loose ends are tied up in the regular game though, they just open two strands again. Gameplay took about another hour for me.
The Strategy Guide is more or less only useful for minigame solutions, in any other situation the hint system works fine.
As usual, the wallpapers and concept art is one-time-view only and nothing to write home about.

The Bottom Line: If you are into steampunk and IHOGs this game is an essential buy. Otherwise it might not be your cup of tea.

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

WOULDA', COULDA', SHOULDA'

[Post New]by katbear50 on Oct 20, 12 5:47 PM
silverfiesta wrote:I really liked this game and if I hadn't put out the extra for the CE, I would have given it 5 stars - fooled again - shame on me!!
The game play was fun, but then I really like this type where you have to find the objects to get another object, some of the puzzles were, simple and easy - others were a challenge.

BUT
The extra game play did not last even an hour and frankly it felt like they cut it off at almost the end, called it a bonus and doubled the price - foul, foul, and more foul so 3 stars.

First thing I normally look at is the 'Size' of the Game, even more so if having to pay Double for it.. Info states "Full version game (325.11 M ", not exactly what I would like to see for a CE. So many have raved about it, but you're the 1st one to really address the length at all. Thank you for being Honest.

[Post New]by pinhat45 on Nov 3, 12 7:54 PM
i seem to be stuck at creating a punch card on the bonus game.

RVKittykat
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by RVKittykat on Jul 30, 13 2:11 AM
I don't usually go for monster on the rampage type of games but this one was fun. Great graphics. And the lack of junkpiles or trashheaps was refreshing. I like filling the circles better than searching junkpiles for numerous irrelevant items. And almost always the SAME items; horseshoes, spoons, bracelets, shells, glasses, shoes.... yawn. The walkthrough and Hints were great. For an all around fun game for a rainy day, this one would work.

Go to: