textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fantastic Creations: House of Brass Collector's Edition

[Post New]by textrekkie on Feb 26, 12 9:34 AM
This review is based on the demo version.

Fantastic Creations: House of Brass is a graphically pleasing hidden object puzzle game.

Up front options include sliders for sound/music/voices and choices for fullscreen and custom cursor. (The screen defaulted to widescreen for me with fullscreen checked). The game recommends that you use sound for the best experience. There are no choices for modes of play.

The story is rather unique and takes place in a house enhanced by an eccentric inventor who sought to prove to the world that he was a technological wizard and could, ultimately, even cheat death.

The HOS scenes consist of finding multiples of types of objects (which gets old) but you also find many single objects along the way, as well as journal pages. There are plenty of puzzles (none of them really innovative or difficult - connect circuits, replace pipes, find missing parts, etc.). But the working mechanisms are entertaining.

I finished the demo version in 30 minutes, so for me, I think this game will come up short time-wise. I will definitely consider it as an SE purchase though.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Feb 26, 12 10:00 AM
What an interesting and delightful game to play!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You definitely need to put some noise canceling headphones and play the game while listening to the background voices, that is a PLUS in order to fully enjoy this game!!!!!!!!!

After no even playing the demo 15 minutes I knew that is a buy for me.

The Puzzles are unique to this game, the voices and music are just fun to listen to.

I think The dept of betrayal was great when it came this last week but I have to say Fantastic Creations one won my hart.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful made game.

Keep them coming and I will keep on buying.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Feb 26, 12 10:25 AM
This game is ok, it gives me something to do. However, I miss the car crashes, scary houses with lots of creep to them, sicko doctors, and so on, the games lately have become the same ole to me lately.
I am begging for a good scary game! Like i said this one is ok, doubt I will buy it as a CE and down the road I will probably buy it as a SE if nothing spooky comes out.

I do like finding the different objects and I like the mini games. Over all in my opinion it's not a bad game.

Edited on 02/26/2012 at 10:28:14 AM PST

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Feb 26, 12 10:25 AM
I wish they didn't limit the demo, you don't get the full hour to play. What a rip off!!

I enjoyed the steam punk theme though. It was kind of fun, but not worth $13.99

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Feb 26, 12 10:30 AM
textrekkie wrote:This review is based on the demo version.

Fantastic Creations: House of Brass is a graphically pleasing hidden object puzzle game.

Up front options include sliders for sound/music/voices and choices for fullscreen and custom cursor. (The screen defaulted to widescreen for me with fullscreen checked). The game recommends that you use sound for the best experience. There are no choices for modes of play.

The story is rather unique and takes place in a house enhanced by an eccentric inventor who sought to prove to the world that he was a technological wizard and could, ultimately, even cheat death.

The HOS scenes consist of finding multiples of types of objects (which gets old) but you also find many single objects along the way, as well as journal pages. There are plenty of puzzles (none of them really innovative or difficult - connect circuits, replace pipes, find missing parts, etc.). But the working mechanisms are entertaining.

I finished the demo version in 30 minutes, so for me, I think this game will come up short time-wise. I will definitely consider it as an SE purchase though.

Same for me, it's a very nice game, but something about it din't really get
me to go ahead and buy the CE version, somehow it's elementary, not intriguing enough, I found out way more interesting "Natural threat: ominius shores" as far as experiments and invenctions goes in the game, but I must congratulate this new devs. for the hard work they 've done to make this "fantastic creation" come true!

Edited on 02/26/2012 at 10:34:26 AM PST

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Feb 26, 12 11:13 AM
To start out with, I am a diehard hog fan. I for one, consider finding 12 round things, or 10 other related things rather boring time after time. It's nice to try a story that isn't the same doom and gloom, monster, old house or asylumn kind of thing, but I found this game to be quite boring. Also, you had to be in the right room for the hint system to tell you what to do next....i.e., I was stuck and in the room with all of the drapes. I had played the one picture scene (where he gives her the rose). I couldn't figure out what to do next, as the hint button kept telling me something about the drapes in the planetarium. When, all along, the problem was that I didn't pick up on the fact that I needed to put the record on the turntable in the birdcage. It didn't give me that hint until I went back to that room. I won't be buying this game even as a $2.99 deal.

JulietteW
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by JulietteW on Feb 26, 12 11:38 AM
Never wrote a review before - I must like this game

I am in LOVE with this game. I've been playing Big Fish games for several years now (started when I was looking for games to help me recover from a Multiple Sclerosis relapse - memory and detail spotting are key!), and have been playing ever since!

I have a love for all things steampunk, a confession. Also voodoo-esque, and creative games of all sorts. So I found LOTS of games to my liking here!

This is one of my favorites and I've only been playing it for 20 minutes. I've not bought it yet - but I will!!

JulietteW
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by JulietteW on Feb 26, 12 11:40 AM
marg6043 wrote:What an interesting and delightful game to play!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You definitely need to put some noise canceling headphones and play the game while listening to the background voices, that is a PLUS in order to fully enjoy this game!!!!!!!!!

The Puzzles are unique to this game, the voices and music are just fun to listen to.

I think The dept of betrayal was great when it came this last week but I have to say Fantastic Creations one won my hart.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful made game.

I agree with you completely!

JulietteW
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by JulietteW on Feb 26, 12 11:41 AM
marg6043 wrote:What an interesting and delightful game to play!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful made game.

I agree with you completely!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Feb 26, 12 12:42 PM
I don't like that it don't have the wide screen.. It is so familar to me.. might have played a beta some time ago? I don't like the back and forth and just don't make me want to buy. Graphics are good and hints are ok too. Games have been on the easy side. I guess I would have to give it a little more time before I decide if I buy or not.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Feb 26, 12 12:57 PM
When someone writes a review it's always their opinion you can either accept it or reject it it's your opinion. This is mine this game does not qulify to be a CE priced game to many annoying aspects, plus not enough of others. The hidden obj games are the only thing that are kind of fun and diff for me thats the only thing I enjoyed about the game but not enough to buy it. Its a noooooooooooooooooo buy for me sorry big fish you need to get with the program of what is CE or not....................You need to be in tune with what peeps want not line your pockets..........

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 26, 12 1:22 PM
Not a bad game, not a really good one either. Don't care much for this type of HOG. Now and then is good, but not 95% of the time...too boring. Graphics nice, hint system different and fun, did not run across any difficult games, SG good, music okay, voice-overs not bad, story...hard to tell. The demo was not anywhere near long enough to really grab you or give you a feel for the game. Only because of this, I do not feel that this is CE worthy, but I may be wrong (not the first time, not the last).

I like to see the full SG to see about how long a game may be. Two chapters is not long enough and I don't even know if I went through both during the demo. If I did, it is way to short for a CE.

Will wait to see if the SE strikes my fancy. Thanks for the reviews.

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on Feb 26, 12 1:32 PM
daisyduck352 wrote:I don't like that it don't have the wide screen.. It is so familar to me.. might have played a beta some time ago? I don't like the back and forth and just don't make me want to buy. Graphics are good and hints are ok too. Games have been on the easy side. I guess I would have to give it a little more time before I decide if I buy or not.
I didn't find the to and froing bad, it mostly was using the elevator between floors. The ones I dislike are going back 8 or 10 times to use an inventory item.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Feb 26, 12 1:38 PM
well, it was a beautifully rendered game..I mean, the artists really went for it. I just think the writers and management kinda let it go...it was short ( 3 hours and that's with a reinstall), The games we've all seen before, the characters were even a llittle iffy..the robot definately has a personality change your not expecting...or I wasn't.

I think these developers need to put more length into the game..ir was an interesting house and I wanted to see more of it..not the same rooms over and over. The extra rooms in the bonus section could have been a part of the main game for instance. I thought the mechanicalfirefly would have some invoolvement..nope.

So, in all..artistry was all there in spades. Much to short for a CE. We do remember developer names, by the way.
kris

timbermoon
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by timbermoon on Feb 26, 12 2:25 PM
I am delighted with this game! The story is appealing, the hidden object scenes are different enough to keep me entertained, and I don't feel like I have played the game before... several times. It is just the kind of adventure I look for in this genre.

I do not evaluate this game, or any other, based on whether or not I think it is worthy to be a CE. My feeling about collector's editions is that if you don't think it is worth the extra money, then wait for the SE. Simple enough. The gameplay itself and the general ambience interest me more, and this game impresses me in those areas.

Maybe I am just a sucker for mechanical fireflies (or any fireflies, for that matter - by the way, did any of you read Sam and the Firefly when you were young?), but this may turn out to be one of my favorites!

Happy gaming, all!

Woofie53
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,145 Posts

[Post New]by Woofie53 on Feb 26, 12 6:01 PM
belamba wrote:.
I've never owned an hourglass, nor do I know anyone who has...so they drive me nuts when they pop up in 99.5% of all HOG scenes )
I'm looking forwards to the D/L finishing and seeing how the game unfolds.

Snipped

I remember having an hour glass. They were popular in the 60's 70's, maybe even sooner, for timing eggs when you boiled them. Ours was a 3 minute timer. When boiling eggs it was 3 minutes for soft boiled eggs and for hard boiled eggs, you turned the timer over and let it go for another 3 minutes. They were also used in some games. This was long before computers or video games.

I don't think the game is worth the CE price. It's a nice game. The graphics are sharp and clear and the voices are nice. I love hearing people with accents talk. What irritated me was the Diary (is that what it's called?) There was always little question marks around it even if you opened the diary to see what was entered. The question marks never disappeared

I couldn't get the strategy guide to open, so I thought it was locked until you bought the game. But the hints were pretty good. I think I will wait until the SE comes out or if there's another CE sale before then. I just don't think it's worth the price.

Have a great evening/night

Edited on 02/26/2012 at 6:03:21 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 26, 12 7:51 PM
belamba wrote:I played the trial hour and bought it, but was in two minds as to buy or not. The positives are that this game is different to the usual 'grandad disappears and needs his amulet', or creepy and spooky old houses/asylums.
I enjoyed the puzzles; and I don't usually as they are often too samey.
The graphics are good, and it's not overly difficult to play.

The negatives are threefold; the voice over is cringingly irritating. Once again a stereotypical so called 'English' accent!
There is no option for advanced play, which I find unforgiveable in a CE. So although no sparkles as such there's little flashing lights, which are equally annoying.
Thirdly, the constant loading with a 'giant' egg timer on the screen is not what I expect from a CE.
The HOG scenes are different, no real junk pile but find 12 of this or that.So for once no searching for bananas stuck to the lampshade, or peppers in the bookcase. I hoped this game was 'hourglass' free! And I'm sure it would be if not for the huge loading variety that keeps appearing on the screen.
I've never owned an hourglass, nor do I know anyone who has...so they drive me nuts when they pop up in 99.5% of all HOG scenes )
I'm looking forwards to the D/L finishing and seeing how the game unfolds.

Hourglass, ha! My least favorite things: Feathers (unless they're peacock's), Bat (mammal or baseball?), Earrings (too small), and Brooch (could look like anything and they spell it "broach").

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Feb 26, 12 11:51 PM
Woofie53 wrote:
belamba wrote:.

Snipped

I remember having an hour glass. They were popular in the 60's 70's, maybe even sooner, for timing eggs when you boiled them. Ours was a 3 minute timer. When boiling eggs it was 3 minutes for soft boiled eggs and for hard boiled eggs, you turned the timer over and let it go for another 3 minutes. They were also used in some games. This was long before computers or video

Hi Woofie,
I know what an egg timer is...I was born in the 50s ) (maybe it was being a Londoner thing), but we used a clock lol and I'm allergic to eggs...poss why I don't like hourglasses too thing is an 'hourglass' took an hour for the sand to run through. So, I know people who had egg timers, didn't know anyone who had an 'hourglass'. Maybe they were used to boil an ostrich egg??

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Feb 26, 12 11:56 PM
Hourglass, ha! My least favorite things: Feathers (unless they're peacock's), Bat (mammal or baseball?), Earrings (too small), and Brooch (could look like anything and they spell it "broach").

And compass (drawing type or navigation instrument) )

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Feb 27, 12 5:00 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Go to: