dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Reviews for Syberia - Part 1

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 28, 12 12:23 PM
Nice graphics, although move a bit slow, music okay. Too much walking around and not enough action. Rather boring to me. Story moves very slowly. No purchase today. Thanks for the reviews.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Feb 28, 12 1:20 PM
I played this game several years ago. It is a very good game but it is strictly an adventure game and does not have HOGS. It is rather difficult as well, but well worth the price. Enjoy!

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Feb 28, 12 4:28 PM
I think people who can't download the originals are indeed a minority here and this version should be made available but not for our only option today. Most of us played this years ago.

It is a fantastic game. I bought it as a packet...both games... for $3.97 at target in 2006 or 7. Loved it. It's one of my favorites but to chop it up and charge people is highway robbery in my honest opinion. Shame shame BFG.

We will also be cheated when the other chopped parts come out as the game of the day. That's like rushing over to see what the game is today and there isn't any... I wonder if that's the problem... did BFG run out of games to offer?

So... bottom line, my feelings aside... it's a great game and if you have never played it definitely demo it.

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Feb 28, 12 5:29 PM
Like teeka57 I played for 5 minutes and no longer wished to. Maybe I didn't give it a chance, but I just couldn't.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Feb 28, 12 5:43 PM
I own both Syberia games (but never managed to finish S2 - yet ), so, out of curiosity (and because it was pointed out that most of the Reviews were about the original game), I downloaded the demo of Part 1, and have now played for about 40 minutes. I got stuck trying to get in the factory, so figured it was time for a break, lol.

Right at the start, there is a choice of tutorial or not tutorial for interactive help (sorry, couldn't resist, lol).

The play is quite smooth, and Kate seems to move a bit faster than in the original. The subtitles are still available, but in a pretty painted rectangle. To my eyes, Kate (in particular) seems a bit more 'cartoon drawn' and thinner than previously. Hints/tasks are still on a notepad in the top LH corner (don't have to press ESC). Inventory is in bottom RH corner. Graphics seem to be a mix of CGI and cartoon, perhaps more so than in the original. I had black borders top and bottom of my monitor screen.

I compared it to the original, and found that as well as moving about more quickly, the help/inventory thingy seems to work more smoothly, and dare I say it, a bit more 'user-friendly' I also found that on my Win 7, 64 bit computer with 23" monitor, that the older game is more obvious in its pixellation. In the new version, the pixels are all much smoother.

I did have a quick look at the Walkthrough, though I haven't actually used it. There are four chapters, and it finishes when you get on board the train.

Perhaps someone can tell us where the original game actually finishes, as I can't remember

As I said, I already have the 2 Syberias, so I don't need to buy this version, but for anyone who hasn't already bought/tried the game, it might be worthwhile. How it will play on an iphone/ipod - I have no idea! Be that as it may, the gameplay (so far) does not appear to be too chopped up.

Jen

[Post New]by gamejunkie2 on Feb 28, 12 6:12 PM
csmith116 wrote:I played Syberia AND Syberia 2 and waited forever for Syberia 3, which was not meant to be after microids sold. It is by far STILL my favorite game. The story line is amazing and I have never found another game I like more (been playing years). I quickly became attached to the characters and was eager to see what happens next.
It was a large file which meant it took up a lot of space on my computer. This should be better for that issue.
I hope, unlike Drakula, when I download it again I am still able to do the entire game.
Sure wish they would create Syberia 3.
Did I mention it is a great game?
It is probably not the ideal game for someone new to this type. I worked very hard to avoid using walkthroughs but frequented the forum for help.
Bessie Mae

I totally agree with this poster. Awesome games! Desperately wanted there to be a Syberia 3 after I played the first two. I have never been able to find another game with the depth of story or with the ability to make you feel connected to the characters like this one.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Feb 28, 12 6:28 PM

Edited on 02/29/2012 at 12:11:40 AM PST

smpilotmom
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by smpilotmom on Feb 29, 12 8:04 AM
VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!

bfgCimarron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,902 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCimarron on Feb 29, 12 2:38 PM
Hi Everyone

I just wanted to swim in with an update this afternoon. As bfgArnoStyx mentioned in her update to our announcement this morning:

We understand that the decision to release Syberia into three parts has caused some concern for customers. The reason for the three-part release was not only for those customers who prefer to have the option of a Trial version, but also to help our customers who have had troubles downloading large file games.

We know that some customers still want the option to purchase the game in its entirety, so the original version is still available for purchase here. Thank you!

Because the original Syberia will also be remaining on our site the forum for Syberia will remain as well. If you're review is for the original Syberia you can continue to post those in this thread here:

Reviews for Syberia

If you're review is for Syberia - Part 1, please feel free to continue posting reviews . Along with off topic posts, any reviews that have to do with the orignal Syberia and not Syberia - Part 1 will be removed.

Thank you!

bfgCimarron

Edited on 02/29/2012 at 4:39:35 PM PST

blackgsd
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by blackgsd on Mar 7, 12 9:42 AM
smpilotmom wrote:VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!

No blasted wonder. This is not Syberia. This is a wreck of a great game. I played about half the demo and wanted to cry at what they've done to it to make it playable on multiple platforms. Characters are completely immobile except in the cutscenes, with none of the gestures and expressions and charm that made them so memorable. A huge panel pops up and down at the bottom of the screen if you need text. Kate sounds like a elephant on steroids in jackboots when she runs, and boy, does she run, only to jerk to a halt until you get her moving again. Forget any leisurely walk around Valadilene! Forget watching the river flow under the bridge, it's not about to flow any more.

And now you're even able to buy it in parts, 3 parts which cost more than the entire, unbutchered game anywhere else. First it was Dracula: Path of the Dragon, now it's Syberia. What other excellent adventures can they hack to pieces and cobble together again...in parts?

Vanadvindun
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by Vanadvindun on Mar 12, 12 3:17 PM
Mediocre Trimmed Version of Superb Original

We bought this game on the day that it was released and were SO excited! The BFG game page stated that this was the same adventure as the original "Syberia", but we had never played that so it wasn't an issue.

Installed the game. Played for about two to three hours and
. . . finished. Whoa, that was quick! Still, we liked it a lot, so we come back to BFG and buy the large-file game of "Syberia II". Install that one (which takes a while) and my sister starts to play this morning. We definitely missed something, so she starts looking through a walk-through for the two games.

This "Syberia - Part 1" is the first installment of the original game, "Syberia", which is being chopped up into three (or more?) parts. This is supposedly to help anybody who can't download large-file games. Sounds like a good idea, but now you have to pay three times the price for the same game --- plus:

This game, "Syberia - Part 1", is a simplified and trimmed version of the original game!

About 1/4 of the town of Valadilene has been deleted.
Most extra video-based movement is eliminated.
Almost all of the "clickable" red herrings are eliminated.
The background/SFX sounds were changed
(i.e. footsteps, etc.).
Some inventory items were deleted or changed.

If you really can't download a large-file game, then it's not a bad option to play this game. However, the graphics quality of the large-file, original edition is 100% better than this version, and the overall play experience is SO much better.

The large-file game is still available from BFG, though it doesn't come up in the games list or the search engine. This is the link:
http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/4665/syberia/index.html?npc=social&npv1=eng&npv2=cm&npv3=bfg&npv4=eng&npv5=syberia&npv6=20120229&npi=engcmbfgengsyberia20120229

So, my sister and I give the original "Syberia" five stars, but this shorter version is a disappointment.
Stick to the large-file game.

bluecat434
Clownfish
Clownfish
858 Posts

[Post New]by bluecat434 on May 14, 12 2:56 PM
i tend to fumble my way through adventure games---i wander, i collect, i re-trace; i tend to be chronically lost (just as irl). even as slow as i am, this installment seemed short to me, and very abrupt. i bought it for half price (through the credits reduction), so i can't complain. but i hope for a part 2 soon, and i hope it's just a bit longer than part 1.

it's essentially wonderful. i'm enjoying the graphics, the story, and the puzzles themselves.

Edited on 05/14/2012 at 2:59:08 PM PST

Jobo34
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by Jobo34 on Oct 2, 12 9:04 AM
I would of loved this game IF I hadn't needed a walkthrough to play the whole game! I won't buy 2 & 3 because I didn't feel like it was ME playing, it was the WALKTHROUGH. No fun at all. Don't get me wrong, I 'm very glad we have walkthroughs, but just so we can refer occassionally to them!

Go to: