menora
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

Re:Reviews for Between the Worlds II: The Pyramid

[Post New]by menora on Mar 3, 12 9:27 AM
I'm not sure why all the early reviews were so bad. I really enjoyed the adventure start and the HO scene was really unusual and until I asked my assistant for help I really wasn't getting it. Having said that once I understood what was going on this was a game that really made me have to use my brain and the puzzles were straightforward once you worked out what to do. I think I will probably buy this game simply because it is so unusual.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 3, 12 9:51 AM

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 10:48:45 AM PST

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Mar 3, 12 10:11 AM
must have been something in the water earliy this morning in the pond.or I'm looking at a different game. Beautiful graphics, good solid gameplay, seems to have a lot of depth but I don't know how ling it is. I really like it and will def. buy it. The games were a little scratch your head and think..but not painfully so. I did have to squint a bit to find the acors or other tiny item in the picture within the picture..but I liked a flow a lot.

Please give this game a full 60 minutes as it gets better and better.
kris

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Mar 3, 12 10:34 AM
Thanks so much to all the fishies who suggested that one give the game a second chance. I did, and am so glad I did. The game is beautiful and challenging. I could not ask for more. It's a definite buy for me. Thanks again.

Elirana
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by Elirana on Mar 3, 12 11:16 AM
I was enjoying this game hugely. First time I can say I enjoyed the H.O. not being a fan of them. Objects should have been much clearer or larger to get my 100%.
BUT....I feel cheated, even though I used a PCC. This must be one of the shortest games I have purchased. Less than 3 hours including the demo.
I was all set to help out in the "Other World" when It said, 'that's your lot'.
This feels like a larger game, split up to maximise profit.
Well, I for one won't be playing their cynical game. This is one customer they've lost.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Mar 3, 12 11:44 AM
I did finish but didn't like it.. When I finally got to the HOG couldn't find half of them and it just wasn't a game that would keep your attention for long. Just a really different game and not one I will buy.

[Post New]by woodspinner on Mar 3, 12 12:29 PM
I'm going to be in the minority on this game and say it was one of the most unique, "out of the box" HO adventure games I've ever played. You've never seen a game like this. In one HO scene, you must sweep the cursor back and forth to dissipate clouds. I also disagree that it is as random as others say. They are many clues hidden and you must refer to the journal often. In the library, only click open books and they will continue to disappear until you find the right one. To display the hidden writing, click the blank paper on each glowing flask and then over the burning torch until the writing lights up.

This is the quickest demo hour I've ever played. I would like to know the length, but I've never seen a game like this and intend to buy.

Wow!

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Mar 3, 12 12:43 PM
it's short..woodspinner. I was already to jump into yet another world and bam, it was over. Too bad...the developer really did a nice job but the length was painfully short.
kris

machamc
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by machamc on Mar 3, 12 1:05 PM
I don't comment often but just couldn't stay quiet. I read most of the reviews and agree that one must have a lot of patience to complete the game. I enjoyed not having a walkthru and having to figure out the puzzles myself and was quite pleased when I managed it. I thought it was a very good game once you got past the frustrations in the beginning BUT:

**SPOILER ALERT**

I was extremely disappointed in the ending. When you reach the lengthy scroll that tells you that you are going to have to repair the box and restart the heart of the magical world, as soon as you have read it and clicked on it, the game is over. I had managed to solve all the puzzles with just a bit of help from the guy detective and was excited about continuing on and all of a sudden, the credits began. I was left feeling very frustrated that I couldn't continue on. I bought the first in this series in April of 2009 and can't remember a thing about it; I dearly hope we don't have to wait another 4 years for the sequel, as I may not be around to play and probably won't even rember it as I just turned 71 a week ago and have no idea what the future holds.

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 2:10:52 PM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Mar 3, 12 1:42 PM
I tried to like this game, I really did, The premise is not bad, but the game play is clunky and repetitive. When you add this to a penalty system tha pops up when you over click (C'mon in an adventure game? Really?) the game becomes unplayable.
Beck to the drawing board.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 3, 12 2:13 PM
Wow, spent most of my time trying to figure this one out. Graphics not bad, didn't care much for the one HOG I played (took too long). Hint doesn't work when you really need it, it just makes a clunking noise rather than telling you there is nothing to do or whatever. When you needed your helper, you had to click on him more than once to get any real help. I personally did not care for this one at all. Maybe something else will come along tomorrow. Thanks for the reviews.

judyglenning
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by judyglenning on Mar 3, 12 2:42 PM
Loved it even though it could be a bit frustrating at times. Not a game for those who like to rush through a game, but if you like to take your time and figure things out, the penalties are minimal.
A good game for the more experienced player. HOS can be a challenge but for this HOGger from way back, they're delightful because the graphics are beautiful.
One of those games that keep the gray matter under my gray hair a bit sharper.
Thanks Big Fish for another goodie.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Mar 3, 12 2:55 PM
Like others, I was ready to bag it early on in the demo but after I got into it I was mildly surprised that I really like it.

I came, I demoed, I bought...

[Post New]by mieke16holding on Mar 3, 12 3:00 PM
I am also in the minority but having said that I see a few here and there are changing their minds.

I found the graphics to be stunning and the items in the HO secenes to be quite okay to find. Only twice I had to ask for help to find the item. Sme iems are very small but no different to areas in some other games which have precise items like pens to put into a container.

The game was difficult or perhaps annoying for some if you did not like patience. For me, I like using my brain (now and then) and also trial and error to work things out. Much more of an achievement for me to do that so I really enjoyed the game.

I only found the purple haze from over-cliciking in the HO scenes and that seemed fair to me. The journal gave good ideas re the direction to take and the hint meter actually showed you where things were in a HO scene. The assistant also directed you. So overall I felt that this was quite good.

I would encourage people to go further than the demo because it is true what others have said about the surpirse that the game is as you continue.

The only downsides are the length - way too short - and also the abrupt ending as has already been mentioned. I was about to move on (or so I thought) and the credits appeared!

I remember the first game by this developer and although I enjoyed it, this is certainly a great improvement.

If for nothing else, the game a go. You may be very pleasantly surprised and the chance to use patience, logic and problem-solving to move on through the game makes this different. And people have been asking for different.......

krinneyd
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by krinneyd on Mar 3, 12 3:54 PM
This was no fun for me. Every step was a challenge and not in a good way. I like having to think, not very hard I will admit and this is a thinking game. My hint would not charge, maybe this was just an issue with the game I installed. I'm not big on challenges but do like new game formats except this one was very painful to play. If I can't figure it out, I like the option of skipping or a progress hint, this game gives neither. I guess it's for those who like being tortured mentally. I can't understand those that were giving reviews of clear graphics, because my version was not clear and I really hate miniature items. I'm way over 42, you know, when you lose your ability to see small things so making items teeny tiny is just lazy, rather than making it a challenge to find. Maybe down the road when I am desperate for a game I will buy it, or if it goes on sale. Frankly I am losing interest in the types of games that are being churned out.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Mar 3, 12 4:12 PM

Edited on 03/06/2012 at 2:54:30 AM PST

TheRealDragon
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by TheRealDragon on Mar 3, 12 7:06 PM
WAY TOO SHORT!!!

You finally get past the pyramid, and get ready to really get into the story, and WHAM! credits!

For me the whole game was less than two hours!!! (Yes, including the demo.)

I DID love the game, as far as it went, but heck, once you buy it, it ought to last longer than the demo did, right?

I wish I hadn't bought it, but only because of the length. I did love the brain work, and the graphics were amazing!!!

Frankly, I think the developer owes buyers the next game for free.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Mar 4, 12 5:25 AM
I guess I am going to be one of the few that would really like to play this game It has a total different feel to it and a bit more difficult than the norm. I won't buy it without a walk through that's for sure

I loved the graphics and the unique style of play. The journal does help you a bit along the way but this is a very challenging game.

I did have some problems though.
In the hidden object scene I tried 3 times to use the hint button. Every time it would circle something like expected but when I clicked there nothing would happen. If that happened once I would think it was just me. That I was missing something but not 3 times!
I also had to go to the forums for advice on how to proceed a few times due to the lack of walkthrough. No skip on mini games!

This games has so many different tricks to play that it makes it very interesting. The problem is if you don't figure out thise tricks yourself(very little instruction or clues) you will never make it through. That brings me back to the need for a WALKTHROUGH!

Will definitely buy when there is one

Edited after I found that the reason for the hint not helping was because I was on a harder mode. I had no idea there were different modes. I think I must have missed a lot in the options menu

Edited on 03/04/2012 at 5:31:49 AM PST

Bailey868
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by Bailey868 on Mar 4, 12 8:17 AM
machamc wrote:I don't comment often but just couldn't stay quiet. I read most of the reviews and agree that one must have a lot of patience to complete the game. I enjoyed not having a walkthru and having to figure out the puzzles myself and was quite pleased when I managed it. I thought it was a very good game once you got past the frustrations in the beginning BUT:

**SPOILER ALERT**

I was extremely disappointed in the ending. When you reach the lengthy scroll that tells you that you are going to have to repair the box and restart the heart of the magical world, as soon as you have read it and clicked on it, the game is over. I had managed to solve all the puzzles with just a bit of help from the guy detective and was excited about continuing on and all of a sudden, the credits began. I was left feeling very frustrated that I couldn't continue on. I bought the first in this series in April of 2009 and can't remember a thing about it; I dearly hope we don't have to wait another 4 years for the sequel, as I may not be around to play and probably won't even rember it as I just turned 71 a week ago and have no idea what the future holds.

I agree that the ending was poor. This game was VERY short...in my opinion, not worth using a credit. I'd wait until this is offered as a $2.99 special, and even then it's really short. Too bad because it had the potential for being an interesting game: not too easily mastered and nice graphics in the HOG department.

[Post New]by amierakae_54 on Mar 4, 12 8:39 AM
I just d/l this game on demo, played for 6 mins and got stuck finding the last piece of paper in the study!! The hint system is hopeless, tells you nothing...I don't like the cursor either, don't like the framed dialogue, makes it too busy...don't like the click-on-characters-watch-them-speak game play, I find it really annoying. I really expected more with this game when I watched the video.

There is no atmosphere, it shuts me out. The graphics are very average. I really love Elephant Games for their graphics, I bought Mystery Trackers: Black Isle a couple of days ago and I love it, it's a real challenge. That's the sort of graphics I love; this one is frankly, very BORING.

I am tossing this one, I do not like it at all.

Edited on 03/04/2012 at 8:43:28 AM PST

Go to: