burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

Re:Reviews for Ghost Towns: The Cats of Ulthar

[Post New]by burf90 on Mar 18, 12 4:33 PM
SeaBamboo wrote:This game is based on an H.P Lovecraft story but unfortunately I did not want to play long enough to find out if it was a good story.

*snip*

I did not buy after the demo as there was no joy in playing this game.

ETA The reason why players like myself do a review of the demo is because we did not like the game enough to buy it, why would I purchase a game I don't want to play to the end. In addition if I do not review you would end up with only positive reviews as they would only be from those who liked the game enough to buy it. What would be the point in that, the developers need both the good & the bad to learn & grow in their game productions.

I read the Lovecraft story so long ago that I don't really remember it, so I can't tell you if there was any similarity. However, the reason I really liked this game was because of the game's story. I know it won't appeal to everyone, but as far as I'm concerned it had one of the best thought out storylines I've seen in a casual game in quite a while.

I'm not the original poster on "reviews based on the demo" comment and I have no problem with anyone giving their review based on either the demo or the full game. In my perfect world, though, I wish it would be standard for the first line of every review on every game to say "This review is based on the X minutes of gameplay" or "I completed the whole CE/SE before writing this review."

The reason I wish people would make that distinction is that there are some games that start out so-so, but keep improving and by the end I'm really glad I played through. There are also many that start great but either end poorly or are really, really short in length. So, I can't really get much out of a review based on 5 minutes of gameplay. I can play 5 minutes myself and get more out of that than to spend time reading a long and usually abyssmal review only to find out at the end that was based on a ridiculously short exposure to the game. I generally like to play for a while and then, if I'm on the fence about buying, read a few reviews from those that did to see if they were happy with the purchase. I'm sure the "I played 5 minutes and this game stinks" reviews are useful to some people, too, but just not to me.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Mar 19, 12 5:45 PM
For some reason I missed this one when it came out. I like the game and being a cat fancier I am going to buy. The hints are very helpful and the graphics while not great they are acceptable. The Hidden objects are well done not too hard. The hint cat is cute and antimated ie watching a fly flying around. Also the player is generic either male or female which I consider a bonus.

Edited on 03/19/2012 at 6:22:15 PM PST

Ariztokat
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by Ariztokat on Mar 23, 12 3:24 PM
I think it's a great game for newbie developers. Could do with a little more light. Loved all the kitties. And thanks for making the objects in the HO scenes easy for an old woman with bad eyesight to see. I give it a 4 out of 5.

jpo656
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by jpo656 on Mar 24, 12 10:02 AM
I am enjoying the SE edition. It is just hard enough to be interesting. I especially like the layout, easy to differentiate between locations - unlike some that every room/hallway look similar . Hints are helpful, but my cat doesn't like the "meow" that comes with it, so I try a little harder . I bought this game.
ETA: I bought it after playing about 20 minutes. It appears to be a decent length game. I rarely have time to play all the way through a game, so to me, game lengths are either "Whoa, that was short," or okay, (and sometimes, "Will this ever end?")

Edited on 03/24/2012 at 10:07:47 AM PST

technocratee
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

Liked this game

[Post New]by technocratee on Mar 28, 12 3:02 AM
Was fun to play, I liked the flow, things are in different places but not all over the place, logical. Good balance puzzle/hidden object. Decently long. Good hint system. Decent length hint.
Nice change from ghosts and goolies. Graphics are a tiny bit fuzzy, but still good graphics, nice scenes, nice variety, usual but good mini games, good story except for the godlike cat part. I'm a cat lover there were lots of cats, I'll be looking to read the book if I can find it. My little dogs barked a't the 'meow's'

edit: I played the whole game. Played the CE demo and couldn't wait for the SE to come out and buy, was excited abut a Cat story. (I'm just not a fan of CEs)

Edited on 03/28/2012 at 3:08:19 AM PST

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Mar 28, 12 8:26 AM
i beta'd this game awhile back and thoroughly enjoyed it, i have now bought and completed the se version and my opinion remains the same

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

Liked this game

[Post New]by burf90 on Mar 28, 12 9:16 AM
technocratee wrote:Was fun to play, I liked the flow, things are in different places but not all over the place, logical.

This was one of the things I liked best about this game. If you need flour, you find it in a bakery or candy store or somewhere else that has food. If you need to pry the stone out of a ring, you find the jewelry clamp in... (drum roll, please) a jewelry store! Not in a pond, a tree house, or a little girl's room, as in many other games.

technocratee wrote:edit: I played the whole game. Played the CE demo and couldn't wait for the SE to come out and buy, was excited abut a Cat story. (I'm just not a fan of CEs)

I always buy the CE's if they have extra gameplay. I find that game designers seem to be finally getting the idea that the extra gameplay should actually have something to do with the story, not just have someone get lost on the way home and have to solve a whole new unrelated mystery to get back home.

This game has an extra chapter that shows you new areas of the town, lets you know what happened to the boy's black kitten and has a more satisfying and final ending.

I think the best CE that I've played, though, was The Keepers: Lost Progeny. The extra gameplay in that was two extra chapters, each dealing with a different aspect of the story, but both directly related to it. Each extra chapter was about 1 1/2 hours long, too, and just as challenging as the main game.

paco12348
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by paco12348 on Apr 5, 12 1:16 PM
I was loving the game until I came to the playing the piano sequence. I HATE games with the piano. All the other games had a skip button which I didn't have to use but the piano game didn't have one. BAH! Not fair!

[Post New]by rebelandsmokey on Apr 10, 12 12:49 AM
hi i loved playing the game, thought the graphics were good. But i was abit confused at the ending is there gonna be another one???

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Apr 10, 12 8:26 PM
rebelandsmokey wrote:hi i loved playing the game, thought the graphics were good. But i was abit confused at the ending is there gonna be another one???

**CONTAINS SPOILERS**
You get a more complete ending in the CE with the extra gameplay. From the CE ending, it seems as though everything is as it should be by the end, and the bad guy is defeated, but isn't dealt with in any permanent way. So, I guess a sequel is possible, but I don't think it's likely.

If you want to know the "final" ending for the CE, highlight to see: You find the kidnapped little black kitten (unharmed) and reunite him with Menses. The innocent old couple is reunited with their grandchildren. And your character finds evidence of what the mayor did to frame the old couple and confronts him with it, makes him sign a confession and he leaves town in disgrace. So, since he's still living, I guess he could cause mischief elsewhere in a sequel, but I think the nightmare is over for the people of Ulthar.

[Post New]by jesuitwitch on Apr 19, 12 7:22 PM
Is anybody else getting a flashing bar on the right side about 4 inches down from the top? Haven't bought game yet, going to download again. Thanks.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on May 8, 12 7:05 AM
I very much enjoyed this game. It had great adventure elements, good hidden object scenes and very smooth game play. The background story was well developed, and was revealed slowly throughout the game, which was well done. Also, the game was a good length. It had a moderate degree of challenge on the advanced setting which I felt was just right to make the game relaxing and fun.

I did not care much for the puzzles in the game, and did not like the style of the graphics in the cut scenes, which was the main reason I choose not to get the CE edition. However, the graphics in the main part of the game were fine.

I don't really like cartoon style graphics in games, and particularly not when they are mixed in with a more traditional style, such as was done in this game. I agree with many of the comments regarding the feeling that the graphics were done by two different art teams. This gave the game a disjointed feel.

Other than the cartoon graphic segments and the basic jigsaw type puzzles, I thought the rest of the game was really well done and highly enjoyable. It is a shame it was a mixed bag visually - for that reason I am glad I waited for the SE.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable game.

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on May 9, 12 2:00 PM
Wow, this game made me dizzy, and were it not for the walkthrough I would be totally lost. The voiceovers I missed and the HOS scenes were okay.
It's just an okay game for me, and I did find all the cats thanx to having help.

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on May 12, 12 4:56 PM
I liked this game. The graphics aren't as nice as some games. The story was good and the puzzles too! The game was dark or not clear which made it hard to find objects.

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on May 14, 12 12:51 PM
I guess I must have liked the demo because I bought the SE game.

Finished playing and it was an ok game, not great though. A few more bells and whistles needed to take it into that category.

Hidden object scenes could do with some interaction. Just finding a list of objects and then being rewarded with a needed item are a bit old hat now.

The story was quite interesting but, oh my word, sooooo much travelling. Too much back and forth for me and I lost interest quite often.

The music was repetitive and pretty grim. Sounded like it was used in one of those old silent movies.

Still, for a new dev it was a fair start and I hope they take some encouragement from the feedback.

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Jun 12, 12 8:16 PM
Just finished playing this game and I loved it! I love kitties and the game was full of them. I love how whenever you hit the cat hint button you got a "meow" for it (I don't think my cat appreciated it, though!).

I have read the Lovecraft story this is based on, and the devs took the story farther along. I like the way they ended it. Menes and the old couple were all in the original story, but the ending is very different.

Aside from a very helpful hint button, I found the HOS to be just the right amount of difficulty without being too difficult, only used the hint button in those about twice, and only skipped one or two of the mini-games.

If you are a cat lover, this game is full of cats. There are cats to look for (kind of like other games having morphing objects to look for). Didn't find them all (I really did try!) but that gives me something to work on next time I play.

Great game! Now I'm on to the Charles Dexter Ward game, which is also based on a Lovecraft story. Cthulu lives! Go Pods!

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Jun 16, 12 8:40 PM
enjoyed the game very much. great graphics, storyline, and the fact it was about cats ( I love cats) was great. good buy

SMQMC
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by SMQMC on Oct 26, 12 2:04 PM
After a leave-of-absence, I've come back and have now played Ghost Towns: The Cats of Ulthar. What a wonderful game! I loved the "cat" hint button because you just don't need a walk-through with this game. Yes, you walk around a lot, and for me that can be a hindrance because at times it's hard to remember where I have to go back to in order to accomplish something. That being said, I've enjoyed playing this game immensely because there's so much to do, just the right amount of H0's for me since I'm a fan from way back, and was challenged by some of the games. You can skip them if needed but I only skipped two. It was fun finding all the cats and even though it was raining a lot in the game, I found the graphics of the rain very relaxing to watch. Some scenes were colorful though, not all dreary. So, I love, love, love this game regardless of the back and forth "walking." Can't recommend it enough to those who haven't bought it. Of course, that's just me.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Nov 6, 12 9:59 AM
Always love a good Lovecraft tale. Enjoyed this game a great deal. This game was a long game for a SE and well worth the money. However, if you don't like cats, it might not be the game for you! No map, but the Hint will show you where to go. A lot of running around toward the end.

Mini games were easy with a quick Skip button if you didn't want to play some of the more tedious ones. HOS were also easy with some items being quite small.

Enjoyed the story, at least it was different from most others with a lot of things to do. I certainly felt I got my money worth and will probably play again. The only bad part was the fairly abrupt ending that didn't explain a few things....they were threads left undone. I give this a 4.5 and highly recommend.

The HINT button meows at you everytime you hit it, so that does get a little annoying, but funny thing about it, our computer room is the last room on the south side of our house where some raccoons are trying to set up house for the winter and the scratching drives me nuts.....when the hint button started to meow, the raccoons split and I didn't have any trouble the rest of the game...wierd.

Edited on 11/06/2012 at 9:59:31 AM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Dec 12, 12 11:40 AM
this was a great game, since you had to collect cats.--------doug & lisa

Go to: