mkastor
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

Re:Reviews for Egypt: Secret of five Gods

[Post New]by mkastor on Mar 17, 12 11:44 AM
It's very short! I wish there were more levels!

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Mar 18, 12 5:25 AM
I'm undecided with this game. I do like this kind of building game, but it's not as good as others, like MKFP.
I haven't got near the puzzles that others have written about in my demo hour. And I have no idea how people have got gold on the levels so easily.

Plus points;
The game has enough different tasks to be interesting.

Negatives;
The scarabs are so irritating and interrupt the flow of the game. I hate click-fests. When will developers realise that most of us hate them? This was a major bug-bare!!
As others have written, the farms etc are quite irritating as it takes ages to build-up your resources, and when you send a character there, they take ages and only come back with one item! Baring in mind, some of the rocks take 6 or more of the items in order to clear! This would be so much better if they were automatic, or you could send a character there and leave them.
The screen resolution is very poor, so the game was very narrow on my new-ish laptop. I had to turn the screen resolution down to the lowest setting, and then it still didn't fill the screen.
There wasn't many instructions, so some of the tasks or game play I had to guess.

I wouldn't buy this game, but because there has been nothing on BF I have even vaguely wanted for weeks and weeks, so I have got two credits to use. I therefore may use a credit to get this game.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Mar 18, 12 12:37 PM
I like tm games, but the jury is still out on this one IMHO. Maybe it's my computer, but hovering over one of the enemies didn't always bring up whether you needed to build a barracks or a temple or a shooting range, so some of my slower times results resulted from that problem. As others have said, the instructions were not always clear.

I got the gold by repeating levels over and over: a few went quite easily because I did improve over the course of the game, but the levels were generally not that interesting to endure repeating them twenty or thirty times, as I had to for a few. I too wondered why I got jewels on some gold levels but not all and there's not a chance that I will replay the entire game to figure out which gold levels awarded me jewels and which did not. Frankly, I'm not even sure that I will bother to repeat level 13 again: I have the pattern down judging from the forum, but I just can't click fast enough to finish in the gold time.

I suppose the same could be said of many tm games. I still haven't beaten the developer's record on all levels of any of the MKFTP, but I at least got gold on all of the levels. And I have replayed all of the MKFTP games several times from beginning to end, and I have never gotten sick of the graphics. This game...well, it entertained, but just not that well. I don't expect to play it again.

Edited to fix tenses.

Edited again to add that I finally got the gold on level 13, but do I really want to replay the whole game now that I know that not all gold glitters with jewels....?

Edited on 03/18/2012 at 1:06:03 PM PST

[Post New]by lesliemcintosh on Mar 19, 12 2:11 PM
For some reason I have missed the explanation for what a n outrunner bonus is or how to use it to complete the level? Hope someone can point out what it is and where I missed it.
Thanks
Leslie

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Mar 20, 12 4:25 AM
lesliemcintosh wrote:For some reason I have missed the explanation for what a n outrunner bonus is or how to use it to complete the level? Hope someone can point out what it is and where I missed it.
Thanks
Leslie

I think you have to click on the "home" where the characters live to order to get it. I don't know what it does, I only figured it out accidentally.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Mar 20, 12 1:56 PM
ElizabethR1533 wrote:
lesliemcintosh wrote:For some reason I have missed the explanation for what a n outrunner bonus is or how to use it to complete the level? Hope someone can point out what it is and where I missed it.
Thanks
Leslie

I think you have to click on the "home" where the characters live to order to get it. I don't know what it does, I only figured it out accidentally.

Yes, you have to click on the "home." The outrunner makes your men move faster, but in other parts of the game you get a hammer (which presumably makes your men work faster), a symbol for earning extra resources, etc. All of these extras are activated by the amount of water you collect. On some of them the amount needed appears to be marked, but it didn't seem to be marked for them all. The instructions for this game are not well elaborated in general, which makes it difficult to select an appropriate extra to help you win the game.

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Mar 21, 12 5:23 AM
Lucy1997 wrote:
ElizabethR1533 wrote:
Thanks
Leslie

Yes, you have to click on the "home." The outrunner makes your men move faster, but in other parts of the game you get a hammer (which presumably makes your men work faster), a symbol for earning extra resources, etc. All of these extras are activated by the amount of water you collect. On some of them the amount needed appears to be marked, but it didn't seem to be marked for them all. The instructions for this game are not well elaborated in general, which makes it difficult to select an appropriate extra to help you win the game.

Thanks, Lucy.

moonryu
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by moonryu on Apr 2, 12 9:26 AM
Overall I have enjoyed this game.

But there is one majorily frustrating element -- Food:
1) Food -- making: True, I accept that a 'resource' is busy farming once the farm is build. But once the farm is build, the farm should generate the food automatically and all the player either clicks on the generated food icon (if there is a need to have the player do the to collect the food or lose it), or have the food automatically added to the available food counter. This is not my only issue with food.
2) Food -- not enough. True, there are the wells but there is (at least as far as I have encountered), no advance farms that generate more food. And for the time and resource cost to farm -- getting only 1 food when everything pretty much costs at least 4 food to do, really makes it hard to even get the silver let alone the gold.

With the strategy part, I have been able to gold or silver replaying each level sometimes upward to 6 or 7 times on average -- trying different combinations of farms, wells and such to make it work but that means on after it takes over an hour to get a level done on average.

Additional annoying elements:
Scarabs: For those players that have issues with using a mouse as fast as needed, those scarabs are really hard to deal with. I would like to see as part of the options/settings a way to turn those off.

Building: 3 clicks to build a building?? Ideally a player should be able to hover over a build site; possible building icons displayed and then player clicks the one desired. And its done.

Lastly: HELP! It would be really nice if there was some kind of help screen which explains just how many well draws takes to get which bonus? And the well bonus column (on the right side of the screen) should have either flyover or some kind of indicator on how much is needed for which bonus.

emerance
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

Fun but the scarabs will wear out your mouse!

[Post New]by emerance on Apr 11, 12 4:18 PM
I've been playing a while and like this game. I have to agree with the fishies who say that the multiple clicks to build something is a pain (and time-wasting!). I was having a lot of fun until I got the the stupid flying scarabs. How many clicks do those things take to kill? I swear I clicked thousands of times and they still flew (I had to use my other hand to click because my finger was worn out). It took me at least a minute to kill three of them! Not for those who like to keep their levels all on gold!

So I'll proceed knowing that I won't hit gold on all levels (because I feel that the amount of time to get rid of those things is ridiculous!).

If you like these types of games, this is a good one!

Ratings (out of FIVE)
Story:
Music:
Gameplay:
Obstacles:

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Jun 27, 13 1:40 AM
I have tons of games just like this & I dont mind one more thats similar, but I did not have any fun at all in the 50 minutes that I demo'd this game. It felt like a chore to me.
I did not like the clicking, the graphics were pretty lousy IMO and for possibly the first time ever in a game, the music drove me out of my mind. (took me like 10 full minutes to snap out of it & turn the sounds off)

I feel like I'm coming across as negative here, in light of the several positive reviews but trust me when I tell you that compared to 4 or 5 other very similar games, this one does not measure up.

Go to: